Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT editor

lanceaustin

Hello friends,

I am trying to find a pc-based software editor for my DT50 head.  The amp is connected to pc (vista) by midi unosport 1x1 cable.  Everything is working properly with line 6 monkey- device is recognized, updated, etc.  

The trouble is, I'm good with line 6 monkey, and then... nothing.  I don't see any software (I don't have an HD device).

I'm coming from the Pod 2.0, where I always used Line 6 edit to control the device (tweak, save & recall presests) from desktop.  This is what I'm hoping to do with the DT50.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

Hello friends,

I am trying to find a pc-based software editor for my DT50 head.  The amp is connected to pc (vista) by midi unosport 1x1 cable.  Everything is working properly with line 6 monkey- device is recognized, updated, etc.  

The trouble is, I'm good with line 6 monkey, and then... nothing.  I don't see any software (I don't have an HD device).

I'm coming from the Pod 2.0, where I always used Line 6 edit to control the device (tweak, save & recall presests) from desktop.  This is what I'm hoping to do with the DT50.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

One thing to note, it's not software provided by Line6.. That being said, works fine, way fun to dial in the DT amps for standalone use!

I have DT25; the DT50 has more cool options, those added setting are all available as well. Anyway, this is the one I use (for PC): DTEDIT

http://rome2.github.io/dtedit/

screen2.1.jpg

• Upvote 1

it's not really any sort of usable boost... it only lightly boosts the preamp to the poweramp interaction changing the voice slightly...

its not really something you would turn on for a solo or whatnot... 

but if you're making a little amp factory out of the DT options... you can use it to change the tone a little.

The Colonel discovered that DT edit has a boost setting that you can't get via hd500 edit, so even if you use a pod hd, this dt edit has its place.

• Upvote 1

it's not really any sort of usable boost... it only lightly boosts the preamp to the poweramp interaction changing the voice slightly...

its not really something you would turn on for a solo or whatnot... 

but if you're making a little amp factory out of the DT options... you can use it to change the tone a little.

For me it was a subtractive thing; I turned the boost 'off' on all my standalone setups for the DT. It helps even out volume spikes from model to model - since the settings on the amp itself immediately spike or cut the volume when the amp model is changed. It is difficult to toggle between the amp models in 'standalone' mode, as compared to setting up level balanced patches with the HD500..

I am curious to see the interesting uses people put the DT to paired with the Helix! Since you can do more routing options, I was thinking stereo L2t's with the DT25 in the center. Figure out how to send the DT a summed l/r signal, maybe even pre-'wet- FX - at least before the mic / room modeling (sim to 'combo/poweramp'), and then send the full mic+cab 'studio direct' version (in stereo) to the L2t's.

For total 'Helix' overkill, do pair of L2t + pair of L3 + DT25 mini stack (combo on top of extension cab) :)

Okay, so DT Edit works pretty great, except for the inability to save.  I understand the HD 500 is the preferred method of saving.  But since I will use the DT50 for recording, I don't wish to purchase HD floorboard hardware.  

How about a workaround using midi editing software?  But I can't even envision how this would work.  

Currently, I have the DT50 connected to pc via midisport uno 1x1.  Would it be possible to transfer DT Edit parameters to the midi edit program, create several saved files this way in the midi edit program, then send info in the opposite direction later to recall different files-settings (info going from midi edit program back to DT Edit).  

I'm currently taking screenshots of DT Edit, using these later to remember what my settings were.  Not sure if any of this makes sense- I need help from greater minds!  

Thanks,
Lance

Okay, so DT Edit works pretty great, except for the inability to save.  I understand the HD 500 is the preferred method of saving.  But since I will use the DT50 for recording, I don't wish to purchase HD floorboard hardware.  

How about a workaround using midi editing software?  But I can't even envision how this would work.  

Currently, I have the DT50 connected to pc via midisport uno 1x1.  Would it be possible to transfer DT Edit parameters to the midi edit program, create several saved files this way in the midi edit program, then send info in the opposite direction later to recall different files-settings (info going from midi edit program back to DT Edit).  

I'm currently taking screenshots of DT Edit, using these later to remember what my settings were.  Not sure if any of this makes sense- I need help from greater minds!  

Thanks,

Lance

If you are not using an HD500, you can't 'save' anything to the DT25 in terms of presets. The DTEdit software allows you to pre-configure the specific amp model and cab combinations, with their power amp settings in the 8 slots on the DT, when used in standalone mode.

With an HD500, you are not limited to only 8 configurations, you can use any / all of the various amp and cab combinations.

That being said, there are some cool things you can do at least experimenting with the standalone configurations of the DT. As it comes 'stock' there are four amp models, and the same four are on A-I-II-III-IV, as B-I-II-III-IV.

I set mine up with 8 different amp models, usually matching the topology setting of that amp model to the I-II-III-IV slot they occupy. Though, you could set all eight to the same power topology settings, and just changed the flavor with the different pre-amps / cabs.

Mostly I delved into this DTEdit of my DT, for use with a non-HD500 pedalboard. Keeley pedals and such, with FX before the amp send, and more in the FX loop.

This way, when I plug that board into my DT, I have 8 different 'amps' on tap. Don't really toggle between them much, since the settings all have to change, but it makes for some cool 'base' amp tone flavoring that radically changes how the overdrive, wah, delay, etc interact with the amp tone.

I like to use the Fender twin for clean / blues rock. I use the Plexi alot. I also like the SLO crunch and clean. Fender tweed, I think I loaded the JCM800 on there for a more rockin amp. All other variables being equal, it does allow for a nice sonic sweep of the tonal pallette.

But remember - the DT doesn't save any positional data. The knobs as set, are where they are set, and when you change amp models those knob positions instantly apply to the new amp model. You can get some mega volume spikes doing this, so proceed with caution!! That's also why I turned off that 'boost' setting on all the models I loaded standalone, and then with settings somewhat 'normal' toggled between all the amps and made sure none were radically louder, or in sets of similar volumes. IE, pair clean amps up with each other, pair louder amps together.

• Upvote 1

You can take many approaches to how you set up the DT. Another interesting trick: set up one of the 8 slots, (Like, A-I or something) to have 'no amp model' defined. It's an option in the amp model list.. You can still configure all the power amp settings however you'd like them to be.

Makes the gain and EQ knobs not do anything, but does make for a direct tap into the power amp with no pre-amp filtering going on. Did good things for getting acoustic guitars to sound good through the DT.Or JTV / Variax reco and acoustic models. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks,

Lance

Lance,

I am by no means an expert at this kind of thing and I also do not know all the options available out there, but you might want to look at MIDIDesigner. http://mididesigner.com/ It might be something that will give you what you want. Just ask your questions on the Q&A board and they will reply to you. If you find other/better options, please share them with us.

Cheers

Hey everyone,

I decided to enter the DT50 amp's cc values into my DAW (Reaper).  I dial a sound on the amp using DT Edit, then manually input the corresponding cc values in Reaper.  The result is that Reaper is able to control all the DT50's parameters, independently of one another.  This succeeds in conquering the DT50's inherent limitations of only 8 saved amps, none with independent EQ.

However, there are definite problems with this approach:

1. It is not completely accurate.  I have to "eyeball" a knob's setting from DT Edit's GUI.  For example, if the "drive" knob is around 9 o'clock, I have to guess where between 0-127 that value lies when entering it into Reaper.

2. It is time consuming!

This led me to wonder if outgoing data from the DT50 could be captured to provide those value settings automatically.  Someone suggested a Sysex dump using Midi Ox.

Which leads me to this post.  I have been unable to generate a dump from the DT50 to Midi Ox.  Does anyone know if the DT50 is even capable of sending such data?

Thanks,
Lance

Hey everyone,

I decided to enter the DT50 amp's cc values into my DAW (Reaper). I dial a sound on the amp using DT Edit, then manually input the corresponding cc values in Reaper. The result is that Reaper is able to control all the DT50's parameters, independently of one another. This succeeds in conquering the DT50's inherent limitations of only 8 saved amps, none with independent EQ.

However, there are definite problems with this approach:

1. It is not completely accurate. I have to "eyeball" a knob's setting from DT Edit's GUI. For example, if the "drive" knob is around 9 o'clock, I have to guess where between 0-127 that value lies when entering it into Reaper.

2. It is time consuming!

This led me to wonder if outgoing data from the DT50 could be captured to provide those value settings automatically. Someone suggested a Sysex dump using Midi Ox.

Which leads me to this post. I have been unable to generate a dump from the DT50 to Midi Ox. Does anyone know if the DT50 is even capable of sending such data?

Thanks,

Lance

Hello, I've used an iPad with MIDI Mobilzer to record and replay the moves I make on my DT50 and HD 500. For example, as soon as I hit record in the app it starts recording any changes I make to the DT.

So if I run my hd500 midi into the amp I have the amps midi out going into the iPad and the iPad's out going into the hd500 I can record moves and then play them back to change settings.

Takes some getting used to, at least for me it did, lol. I haven't done that in a while but I had fun the last time I did.

• 10 months later...

Hello friends,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

If you are an iPad user, I strongly suggest this one. You can save presets if you want.

http://mididesigner.com/qa/4985/line6-dt50-layout-mdp2

Thanks,

Lance

MIDI editor on iPad for DT amplifier. On top, you can save presets...

http://mididesigner.com/qa/4985/line6-dt50-layout-mdp2

• 4 years later...

Hello, Recent purchaser of a DT-25. I too, have found that the HD 500/DT-25 combination sounds nothing like the DT 25 when the guitar is plugged in directly to the amp. 

But the DT-25 amp sounds great on its own, although limited to the 2 channels. I am wondering if anyone has had success using the DT50 Editor, the Midi Designer referenced above, and some sort of Midi floor controller pedal to open up multiple presets for the DT 25 when used as a stand-alone amp? ( Standalone without HD500, for clarification) I'd really like to be able to design the preset in DT50 software, save and recall via Midi or some other method that does not involve sending the signal through a Pod.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2015 at 1:38 PM, ColonelForbin said:

If you are not using an HD500, you can't 'save' anything to the DT25 in terms of presets. The DTEdit software allows you to pre-configure the specific amp model and cab combinations, with their power amp settings in the 8 slots on the DT, when used in standalone mode.

With an HD500, you are not limited to only 8 configurations, you can use any / all of the various amp and cab combinations.

That being said, there are some cool things you can do at least experimenting with the standalone configurations of the DT. As it comes 'stock' there are four amp models, and the same four are on A-I-II-III-IV, as B-I-II-III-IV.

I set mine up with 8 different amp models, usually matching the topology setting of that amp model to the I-II-III-IV slot they occupy. Though, you could set all eight to the same power topology settings, and just changed the flavor with the different pre-amps / cabs.

Hi, There- I realize this thread is old, but I got my ideas and the software for my new DT-25 from this thread. I am using the DT Edit software you recommended in this post.

I was hoping to use this software to do exactly what you describe- ie program and recall 8 different amp models for the 8 different slots on my DT 25. I can recall and play most (not all) of the models I hoped to drop into each slot, , but the models seem to disappear when I return to the slot where I created the model. I'm not sure why this is the case. This happens whether I physically toggle the amp or use the software to select amps.

Further, when the models I dropped in disappear it does not return to the factory sound, but instead some wimpy plunk of not much at all. 

Is there anyone who actually uses their DT-25/50 with different sounds in the 8 slots? How is this done, please.

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 8:38 PM, Prosounddaryl said:

Hi, There- I realize this thread is old, but I got my ideas and the software for my new DT-25 from this thread. I am using the DT Edit software you recommended in this post.

I was hoping to use this software to do exactly what you describe- ie program and recall 8 different amp models for the 8 different slots on my DT 25. I can recall and play most (not all) of the models I hoped to drop into each slot, , but the models seem to disappear when I return to the slot where I created the model. I'm not sure why this is the case. This happens whether I physically toggle the amp or use the software to select amps.

Further, when the models I dropped in disappear it does not return to the factory sound, but instead some wimpy plunk of not much at all. 

Is there anyone who actually uses their DT-25/50 with different sounds in the 8 slots? How is this done, please.

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Same position as you just wondering if you managed to find a solution or workaround .