Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix no input mp3/cd ¿Why?

georgepr32

If the AUX input had the option on being routed directly to the output, i could use that input for an audioplayer, ipad, mac or phone. Would solve a lot of headache in lots of rehersal situations.

Even if that input is just in mono.

Then i could use my Helix without having to bring lots of extra cables, extra gear to get my homework done about anywhere over headphones.

If i need to add a bunch extra gear just to get to listen to playback while rehearsing over the Helix, i'd ditch the Helix and go stright into any simulator on my Mac throug my UA intraface.

I guess adding the "route directly to output" option for the AUX input is a small matter of tweaking for Line 6 anyways.

Hope this option is added sometimes very soon.

The AUX input is mono - it's designed for the input of a guitar or bass with active pickups, although you could use it for a MP3 player.

I don't understand what extra bunch of gear you think you would need for playback? If you check Chad Boston's informative video above, he shows how to do what you want with a Y splitter cable and a small playback device. Sort of things that you could have in your pockets, it doesn't need a truck and a team of roadies to implement. If you went the iPad route you would maybe need the camera connection kit and a USB cable - not such a big deal.

I also suggest that you read post #31, above, from Rewolf48 who pointed out that both Fractal and Kemper kit don't have 1/8" inputs available for hooking up your MP3 player.

I really fail to see why this should appear so difficult to work with.

Oh, yeah. Regarding the comment you made earlier and deleted, you mentioned that 1/8" Jacks had been used for centuries. Maybe you meant decades, they were introduced in the 1950s for connecting earpieces on transistor radios. Quarter inch phono plugs were used in the original manual telephone exchanges around 1878, making it the oldest electrical connector standard still in use,

Ok, I gotta say this and as always YMMV. Helix is very adaptable but it's not to be confused with (or designed to be ) a cheap swiss army knife for every audio device made by Ronco, so if you want a $23.00 one of those... 41nlWxSlQ9L._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

then buy one because I'd rather have the pro features in Helix now, versus a Macgyver special.

Helix is a high-end studio and touring piece of gear. A stereo 1/8" input isn't really appropriate for those environments.

Exactly.

What's the deal with the missing Aux? Just use a USB compliance device, works great, it's fully digital, you've total control on it and no extra noise in the channel.

It's 2017, let's use proper technology. :)

• Upvote 1

The convenience of using the headphone out from an ipod, Android Smartphone or Tablet, CD player, or similar, to quickly patch to the Helix for practicing with pre-recorded tracks or YouTube vids, is what makes the 1/8" Stereo to Dual Mono 1/4" Left and Right TS cable so useful with Helix. Just put a Stereo FX Return Block in Helix's signal path and you're good to go! A Gain Block makes it easy to adjust the incoming volume level if you do not choose to do so in the FX Return Block Level parameter.

The AUX input is mono - it's designed for the input of a guitar or bass with active pickups, although you could use it for a MP3 player.

I don't understand what extra bunch of gear you think you would need for playback? If you check Chad Boston's informative video above, he shows how to do what you want with a Y splitter cable and a small playback device. Sort of things that you could have in your pockets, it doesn't need a truck and a team of roadies to implement. If you went the iPad route you would maybe need the camera connection kit and a USB cable - not such a big deal.

I also suggest that you read post #31, above, from Rewolf48 who pointed out that both Fractal and Kemper kit don't have 1/8" inputs available for hooking up your MP3 player.

I really fail to see why this should appear so difficult to work with.

Oh, yeah. Regarding the comment you made earlier and deleted, you mentioned that 1/8" Jacks had been used for centuries. Maybe you meant decades, they were introduced in the 1950s for connecting earpieces on transistor radios. Quarter inch phono plugs were used in the original manual telephone exchanges around 1878, making it the oldest electrical connector standard still in use,

You might get my point though. With the option to route the AUX directly to the output, this input would get some extra usage. ( My post you refer to as deleted was not ment to be posted in the first place anyway - but thanx for the history lesson :-D  )

By the way - The lack of this kind of input was not at all the reason why i traded The Axe Fx for an Kemper ( <3 ).

For me, the Helix is the most user friendly unit though, and has in a short time managed to be my absolute favourite digital guitar rig for all my gigging situations. 

My only objection is the labeled AUX input and the routing - wich i clearly have misinterpret.

I thought this would be an input for line leveled devices more than an "guitar input 2".

You might get my point though. With the option to route the AUX directly to the output, this input would get some extra usage. ( My post you refer to as deleted was not ment to be posted in the first place anyway - but thanx for the history lesson :-D  )

By the way - The lack of this kind of input was not at all the reason why i traded The Axe Fx for an Kemper ( <3 ).

For me, the Helix is the most user friendly unit though, and has in a short time managed to be my absolute favourite digital guitar rig for all my gigging situations. 

My only objection is the labeled AUX input and the routing - wich i clearly have misinterpret.

I thought this would be an input for line leveled devices more than an "guitar input 2".

Jorgen,,

Yes, I do get your point, but you also did say you had misinterpreted the label "AUX"

Suggestion. Helix has 4 separate channels available, so set one to the mono "AUX" in as if it was a guitar signal, then pass it straight to the output with no other processing involved! It's not as elegant or convenient as some of the other options posted in this thread, but worth a shot.

As for your previously deleted comment, consider my history lesson a freebie, gratis, no charge!

Have fun with your Helix.

The convenience of using the headphone out from an ipod, Android Smartphone or Tablet, CD player, or similar, to quickly patch to the Helix for practicing with pre-recorded tracks or YouTube vids, is what makes the 1/8" Stereo to Dual Mono 1/4" Left and Right TS cable so useful with Helix. Just put a Stereo FX Return Block in Helix's signal path and you're good to go! A Gain Block makes it easy to adjust the incoming volume level if you do not choose to do so in the FX Return Block Level parameter.

You can do the same, in a better way, using the USB. I do that all the time with my iPhone and iPad.

It has two—FX Return 1/2 and FX Return 3/4—and they're even fully routable. If your MP3 player is an iOS device, it can also connect via USB.

Helix is a high-end studio and touring piece of gear. A stereo 1/8" input isn't really appropriate for those environments.

It would be great to implement some global routing... some input/ouputs/blocks would be global some depending on preset... Now THAT would be super high end! :- )

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-Always-On-Effects-Return/809601-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Multiple-Global-EQs/825958-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-CAB-OFF/790043-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-Blocks/755191-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/ideas/search?templateId=0&discussionID=51424&tag=&query=global&date-submitted=&daterangepicker_start=&daterangepicker_end=&date-last-activity=&daterangepicker_start=&daterangepicker_end=

You can do the same, in a better way, using the USB. I do that all the time with my iPhone and iPad.

Not on devices that only provide analog audio output via a Headphone jack or RCA L/R connections. My previous reply was soley regarding analog audio output sources -- not regarding digitial nor USB! Of course, USB offers many advantages. And, the iPhone and iPad require use of Apple's Camera Kit accessory! No? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll explain my situation in a little more detail.

I guess I fall into that "he's not a pro" category. I'm a bedroom guy and 98% of what I do, both playing and recording, is with backing tracks.

My research tells me I want a Helix LT. To try and prove this theory, I recently picked up a used HD500X to get a feel for the game.

It works for me. I like operating the HD floor unit by hand on a shelf. I like the speaker out options I've got. I'm impressed with both the ease and the improved

quality I'm getting in recordings. It makes me want to go ahead and step up to the improved function and anticipated tone of the LT.

The MP3 in function is the only thing holding me back. I've got the perfect set up with the HD500X. I've been trying to prove my ability to do this on the Helix

by experimenting with both the USB and the return route on the HD500X. I accomplished using the FX return, but wasn't really pleased with the process.

I've successfully used the USB input with my laptop. My problem is, that happens to be the laptop I use to record into Reaper.

I want to run my ipad into the Helix USB. A separate volume control for that would be a huge plus. I've read the threads. I got the camera kit.

Hooked it up and got a "device not recognized". Question 1: what am I doing wrong there? I was thinking I needed some Line 6 stuff downloaded on my ipad. I can't find where and how to do that if needed.

Question 2: what is the USB volume solution if I do progress to the point of getting audio off my ipad?

Question 3: is the Helix LT USB a more advanced USB than the one on the HD500X? Is that where my problem lies trying to do my ipad with the HD500X?

Question 4: As stated above, is there a way to run from ipad headphone out into Helix LT USB in??????

That would be a game changer!!!! That's been my only hold back.

If I was confident there was a way to run ipad headphone out into Helix LT USB in, I would hit "add to cart" in a heartbeat!

As it is, I continue to sit on the fence procrastinanting due to the ease of use for me with the HD500X.

I use my iPad into my Helix LT, and like you Pop1655, upgraded over from the HD500X which I had for years, and also am just a "living room/bedroom player at this point", and have a blast jamming with the songs playing.

I also got the camera kit and had some issues with volume. I now use a 1/8" Stereo to Dual 1/4" mono Y cable which I picked up a GC and it works perfectly. The only difference from the backing tracks in the HD500X MP3 input, is that you will just need to set the volume on the block you set the stereo returns to (the volume is both controlled both by the ipad volume as well as the block volume-for simplicity's sake I keep the ipad at max and adjusted the block volume in the Helix accordingly). The master volume of the helix controls everything, so unlike the HD500x where the mp3 volume was fixed, it now adjusts along with the guitar out volume, so you can go as quiet or as loud as you want and only need to adjust the master volume.

Then to expedite patch creation, I made a blank patch with just the stereo return set to the volume levels I I settled on, and I use this as a "template" now when building new patches so that I don't have to worry about setting this up each time I make a new patch.

Hope this helps!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/Elite-Interconnect-Y-Cable-35-mm-TRS-Male-to-1-4-TS-Male.gc

Bluetooth would be ideal in my opinion.  Wireless music from any phone, etc.  They have it on the Firehawk 1500, too bad it was left out here.

Obviously not addable in a F/W update.  I might add a small receiver and attach it somehow to the Helix.  I'd still have the inconvenience of cabling to the jacks and having to add the input to every patch.

Adding a global setting for the Aux in assignment would probably get us all pretty close to a workaround for what we consider ideal.

Watching the many steps on that video just to hear music is something!  While I totally get that this is a pro unit, it is interesting that there isn't a Mix input for items like an ipod, ipad or other such units to playback songs.  I also play drums and my Roland TD-20's have a mix in on the back of the unit with a separate knob on the front of the module to adjust how much music input there is to the drums.  This isn't an issue for me, but because of this thread, it reminded me of my electronic set.  It's just plug and play.

Plugging a device (iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, etc) into USB comes in on USB 1/2 in. You go to Global settings>ins outs> and adjust the level there. I use USB with my iPhone all the time for practicing along with pre-recorded audio. iPhone/iPad require an adapter though. 

When feeding Stereo Analog to Helix via two of the FX Returns, a space saving alternative to defining a Stereo FX Block in Helix's Signal Path 1A is to use Signal Path 1B, (2A or 2B) and redefine Path 1B's (or 2A or 2B's) Input Block to use FX Returns 1/2 or 3/4.

Here's how:

Add a Stereo Gain Block to Path 1A.

Select the Gain Block and Press the Action Button.

Drag Gain Block Down to create Path 1B.

Select Path 1A's Split Block and Press the Action Button.

Drag Split Block down and parallel Path 1B's Input Block appears.

Select Path 1B's Input Block and change from Multi to FX Returns 1/2 or 3/4.

Select the Path 1A's Merge Block and Press the Action Button.

Drag Merge Block Down to this creates Path 1B's Output Block.

Save this as a Template and you may reuse it as needed.

The Stereo Gain Block makes it easy to adjust the Stereo Analog incoming Audio Level via the Helix.

BTW, it takes more time to read the above steps, than to actually do them on the Helix!

• 5 months later...

Hello there!

Since you're talking about the Helix AUX IN, i have a question, is it possible to run an electroacoustic guitar there (Martin DCPA 4)?

I'm a worship leader and there are some songs i need to use an electric guitar and other ones i need an electroacoustic with different effects. Would it be possible? Please, help me

Hello there!

Since you're talking about the Helix AUX IN, i have a question, is it possible to run an electroacoustic guitar there (Martin DCPA 4)?

I'm a worship leader and there are some songs i need to use an electric guitar and other ones i need an electroacoustic with different effects. Would it be possible? Please, help me

The way I do it is I leave my Acoustic plugged into the Aux input and my Electric in the normal Guitar input.  I make sure that the patches I'm using for electric have only the Guitar input enabled on the input block, and on the acoustic patch I only have the Aux input enabled on the input block.  That way I know I can leave them both plugged in and neither will interfere with the other and all I have to do is select the correct patch for either the electric or acoustic.  You'd likely need to incorporate an extra gain block on the Acoustic patch to get it up to a decent level.  I'd also highly advise you to get some acoustic IR's like those from 3Sigma as they really make a big difference in maintaining the acoustic sound.

Yeah, on Windows 7, I connect the Helix to my PC with the USB cable, I make sure the Helix is the "default playback device" (right click the volume control icon on the desktop), and I either put the track in a track in my DAW or play it through Media Player, and I control the volume in either of those programs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to use Guitar Pro 7 for backing tracks and play over it with my guitar and to record the mixed signal back into my computer. I have the USB connected to the computer and set my computer playback to the Helix LT and computer recording to Helix LT. I have no problem recording into the computer and hearing GP7 play in my headphones via the USB1/2 monitoring. However, I am trying to set up my 1B track, which is nothing but a volume pedal, with an input of USB3/4 so that I can output the computer's audio back into the recording via Multi output (same as guitar). I hear the music in the headphones still but it the backing track is not being recorded, which leads me to think I am still only hearing it via the USB1/2 monitor rather than USB3/4 which should be recording. 

Does this sound like the correct setup for what I am trying to achieve? I just ordered a 1/8 to dual 1/4" adapter on amazon as a backup plan but would prefer to get the USB working.

Also side question, if I am feeding audio from my laptop to the Helix then back to the laptop via USB, would that create an infinite loop of audio? 

THANK YOU!