Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix no input mp3/cd ¿Why?

georgepr32

It has two—FX Return 1/2 and FX Return 3/4—and they're even fully routable. If your MP3 player is an iOS device, it can also connect via USB.

Helix is a high-end studio and touring piece of gear. A stereo 1/8" input isn't really appropriate for those environments.

• Upvote 3

I'm confused...USB is USB. What difference does it make whether it's an iOS device or not?

USB audio support on Android devices has been rather hit and miss from what I understand. If the Android device supports class compliant USB audio devices, I would imagine it would work.

Not all USB is equal

The big deal about Helix and Firehawk FX USB is these are "USB CLASS COMPLIANT" which means these work as 24bit @ 48K Audio interfaces for iPhone/ iPad and Linux with Jack Audio.
No need for a special audio driver

Helix even supports 8 inputs  / 8 outputs on iPad 

TZVsulH.jpg

HD500X does not do that.

• Upvote 1

If it has a dedicated Aux In, then wouldn't it be able to allow a adapter from (in my case, my headphone jack out of my windows-based PC running my iTunes or Guitar-Pro 6 in) to the Aux In?  Provided that Aux In can handle a dry signal, it seems that all you need is the cable and adapter.  Am I missing something here?

If it has a dedicated Aux In, then wouldn't it be able to allow a adapter from (in my case, my headphone jack out of my windows-based PC running my iTunes or Guitar-Pro 6 in) to the Aux In?  Provided that Aux In can handle a dry signal, it seems that all you need is the cable and adapter.  Am I missing something here?

Sure, you can use the Aux in, but it's mono.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to use the AUX input but must be doing something wrong in the mixer section of the helix.  I want the Aux to go straight to the XLR outputs and the guitar to go through all the effects you see in the picture.  When I try this, the guitar works but the AUX doesn't come out of the XLR (I have the output of that path set to multi and the input to AUX)  If I set the guitar path to all, i can hear the AUX coming through the effects path so the cable seems to be working.

23972181879_a78608fcf4.jpg

Looks like your source is set to guitar on the bottom path. ?

Believe it or not, I turned the Helix off and came back a couple hours later to look at your suggestion and it worked.  Not sure what changed since I didn't change anything.  For what it is worth, it still shows a guitar icon when on the Aux input.  Anyway, I'm happy now since I can not only jam but feed a monitor mix back into it and use headphones at practice.

Maybe a dumb question but I'm having a heck-of-a-time finding a suitable USB cable to connect my iPad 3 (uses old-style 30 pin connector) to the full size USB input on the back of my Helix. Anyone have a link to an iOS cable (Amazon, etc.) that works with Helix? Would like to have about a 6 footer. 

Thanks in advance.

Bradley GT

Maybe a dumb question but I'm having a heck-of-a-time finding a suitable USB cable to connect my iPad 3 (uses old-style 30 pin connector) to the full size USB input on the back of my Helix. Anyone have a link to an iOS cable (Amazon, etc.) that works with Helix? Would like to have about a 6 footer. 

Thanks in advance.

Bradley GT

You need the camera connection kit. It's a little adapter that goes from the 30-pin to a standard USB-A jack. Then you just use a standard USB 2.0 cable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=712021&gclid=CMWZ_e2Gp8oCFYSBaQodPD4Etw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

You need the camera connection kit. It's a little adapter that goes from the 30-pin to a standard USB-A jack. Then you just use a standard USB 2.0 cable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=712021&gclid=CMWZ_e2Gp8oCFYSBaQodPD4Etw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Thanks. Just ordered it. Much appreciated.

BGT

Got the camera kit and it works great - other than, unless I'm missing something, there's no way change the input level of the iPad when it's connect to the Helix via camera kit and USB cord.

Am I missing something - ie, is there a way to change the input level on the Helix (the iPad level can't be changed when using the camera kit - apparently....) so as to properly mix the input from the iPad with the guitar levels?

Thanks for any input/help here.

Much appreciated.

Bradley

• 4 months later...

I want to play songs through my 2 input FRFR at home along with my guitar through the Helix. It Doesn't have to be stereo.

Could I use a simple line mixer like this...?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMX400?siid=38044&-6BRDgnb-Dk96UmRASJADbMycYsVtnqqa4HFHM1YAzyj1etpZ8QFYRUFCJaJLY9JiYqRoCHEfw_wcB=

Laptop-->PreSonus Audiobox USB-->the above line mixer-->FRFR

Here is a link to the spec sheet of the above line mixer...

http://file:///C:/Users/andy_/Downloads/MX400_ENG_Rev_A.pdf

Yes.

But why not plug the Laptop directly in the Helix using USB and set Helix USB channels 1/2 to be the default Audio Output device?

The Laptop Audio output will be routed (mixed) with the Helix outputs directly as per the USB Routing diagram on post #5 above

I wanted to play an iPod through Helix, and asked the same questions, except that USB isn't a solution in that case. I ended up adding a merge block as suggested above, and wishing for a global setting that let you mix a selected analog input into the final output of all presets at once.

I was told by various folks here that the Helix is a Pro unit, and Pros don't need to play mp3's through their guitar rigs, which I don't actually buy, but it is what it is. Helix's overall routing flexibility does give us various solutions, depending on the exact scenario.

I wanted to play an iPod through Helix, and asked the same questions, except that USB isn't a solution in that case. I ended up adding a merge block as suggested above, and wishing for a global setting that let you mix a selected analog input into the final output of all presets at once.

I was told by various folks here that the Helix is a Pro unit, and Pros don't need to play mp3's through their guitar rigs, which I don't actually buy, but it is what it is. Helix's overall routing flexibility does give us various solutions, depending on the exact scenario.

I agree that the claim that Helix is a pro unit that doesn't need a stereo line in is, well, BS. No offense to anyone but the percentage of people who buy the Helix, that are pros (actually make more money than they spend on gear) is probably pretty low. Well below 50%. I certainly am in that demographic. 

It would have been nice to have this feature, but the USB solution is working fine for me.

I agree that the claim that Helix is a pro unit that doesn't need a stereo line in is, well, BS.

Helix has two stereo line ins—Return 1/2 and Return 3/4. iPods don't come with 1/8" TRS > 1/8" TRS cables, so if you have to buy a cable anyway, get an 1/8" TRS > 2x 1/4" TS cable instead.

Helix has two stereo line ins—Return 1/2 and Return 3/4. iPods don't come with 1/8" TRS > 1/8" TRS cables, so if you have to buy a cable anyway, get an 1/8" TRS > 2x 1/4" TS cable instead.

Most every other unit out there has a simple stereo line in that doesn't need anything set up for individual patches. I already have this cable. Helix is above having this feature because it is a Pro unit?

Most every other unit out there has a simple stereo line in that doesn't need anything set up for individual patches

Are you sure about this? The Factal AxeFX and AX8 do not, neither do the Kemper profilers. None of my Rack gear has ever had a 1/8 stereo line in - the HD Pro has 1/4 L+R inputs although the HD500 did.

Is there anything at all that costs more than say £500 that includes a stereo 1/8 socket?

• Upvote 1

I think that the main point of contention here is not that there is no "separate" MP3/CD in. After all, after parting with US$1500, a $10 or less (stereo 1/8" to dual L&R 1/4") splitter is not a big deal (for most, at least), but losing an entire path might be a much bigger deal.

I do not have any issues connecting my iPhone to the Helix (I do have the camera connection kit) and it works beautifully that way. Also, I can stream MP3s from my PC via the USB cable if I just switch the default audio device to Helix, so I am covered backing tracks-wise at home or when I take the Helix to a friend's to jam.

If I wanted to connect my Android tablet though, I would have to use Return 1/2 or 3/4 on my Helix and dedicate the lower path on my Helix to pass the signal thru (well, I would add a volume control just to keep the levels balanced) and I would be basically unable to use half of the total DSP power. Not that I would need to do this, as I have the same music loaded on my iPhone, PC and Android tablet, so going down this path would not really give me anything I don't already have.

If there was a way to have an entry in Global Settings that would allow us to remap Return 1,2,3 or 4 as one mono in and would automagically map it to the output (optionally with a Pan control) or Return 1/2 or 3/4 as one stereo input sent straight to outputs, we would not have to dedicate one entire path to redirecting output and I think it would be a good alternative to a dedicated MP3/CD in without negatively affecting those who would prefer all of the FX loops available for their pedals (there might even be an IdeaScale entry for this, I remember reading something similar a few months ago, but can't remember where)...

... or just get the camera connection kit (if you have an iOS device) or stream from your PC/MAC via USB :)

If I wanted to connect my Android tablet though, I would have to use Return 1/2 or 3/4 on my Helix and dedicate the lower path on my Helix to pass the signal thru (well, I would add a volume control just to keep the levels balanced) and I would be basically unable to use half of the total DSP power. ..

Not at all. You would position the Return block immediately before the Output block in either of Path 1 or 2. It uses almost no DSP. It will be mixed with the existing signal on that Path. That's why you'd place it at the end - so it would not be processed at all. You don't need a Vol block - you control the volume from the external device or by the Level parameter in the Return block itself.

The main disadvantage of the existing setup is that it is not a global option - you need to add the Return block to every preset that you want to use with the external device playback.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not at all. You would position the Return block immediately before the Output block in either of Path 1 or 2. It uses almost no DSP. It will be mixed with the existing signal on that Path. That's why you'd place it at the end - so it would not be processed at all. You don't need a Vol block - you control the volume from the external device or by the Level parameter in the Return block itself.

The main disadvantage of the existing setup is that it is not a global option - you need to add the Return block to every preset that you want to use with the external device playback.

Thanks for clearly describing this! I would think the Block Copy and Paste features be used? 

<Snip>If there was a way to have an entry in Global Settings that would allow us to remap <snip> Return 1/2 or 3/4 as one stereo input sent straight to outputs, <snip> it would be a good alternative to a dedicated MP3/CD in without negatively affecting those who would prefer all of the FX loops available for their pedals (there might even be an IdeaScale entry for this, I remember reading something similar a few months ago, but can't remember where)...<snip>

If this were available on a per Preset basis it would be an interesting alternative to copying and pasting a Return Block into each Preset where needed.

• 4 months later...

If the AUX input had the option on being routed directly to the output, i could use that input for an audioplayer, ipad, mac or phone. Would solve a lot of headache in lots of rehersal situations.

Even if that input is just in mono.

Then i could use my Helix without having to bring lots of extra cables, extra gear to get my homework done about anywhere over headphones.

If i need to add a bunch extra gear just to get to listen to playback while rehearsing over the Helix, i'd ditch the Helix and go stright into any simulator on my Mac throug my UA intraface.

I guess adding the "route directly to output" option for the AUX input is a small matter of tweaking for Line 6 anyways.

Hope this option is added sometimes very soon.