Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 dropped the ball....

xheathen1

They have our equipment registration info, they know our email addresses, but did they bother to contact us ahead if time to tell us not to let our iPads update automatically? NO!!! I am a working musician who's fx100 has just been rendered useless 1 day before a gig...(rest of rant edited out)  ;-)

sorry for the rant... I had been working for 2 hrs trying to figure out what happened before going online and reading tony's post. I don't monitor line 6 forums or posts. I have too much going on as it is. An announcement via email would have been nice compared to a post on a forum about the impending update by apple. I receive other emails from Line 6, why not something like this? Oh well, I was able to borrow an android phone to control my Amplifi fx100 until such time as a fix is developed but please...notify us by email when it is available! I don't think that is too much to ask..

Edited by xheathen1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm with you xheathen1 , it would appear line 6 don't give a damn about their customers ,once you have bought it ,your on your own, you can put a support ticket in , but that's been named incorrectly it should be called send and hope ticket I for one will be selling my line six gear, musicians need reliability ,it should just work they have had the sdk from Apple way before it was released but can't figure out what's wrong, well I could tell them ,their I T department stinks (rant over )

I've got plenty of other apps functioning quite well-post update. Apparently they got the memo from Apple.

These things don't happen overnight. They are done with,a I would guess, a fair amount of communication, planning and common sense. Not being ready, not notifying users is nothing short of irresponsible. It's not the end of the world, by any means. Nonetheless, my confidence is shaken by a company that seems as surprised by updates as I am.

This is ridiculous that line 6 would expect customers to not update their iPhone or iPad . This product was made specifically for apple products.

I hope we will be notified when the fix has been established. Very disappointed in the customer service.

This is ridiculous that line 6 would expect customers to not update their iPhone or iPad . This product was made specifically for apple products.

I hope we will be notified when the fix has been established. Very disappointed in the customer service.

You do realize that musicians who create on Apple products represents only  0.001% of the installed user base for IOS products. Read many other Music apps that also do not work on IOS 9 here:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16203.0

IOS9  Status for Music Creation Apps  - At present this upgrade will break many Music Apps we use.

---

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/9/16/ios-9-keep-off-the-grass.html

iOS 9: Keep off the Grass!

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2015 AT 11:17AM BY TIM WEBB

It's that time of the year again when Apple releases a new iOS, I warn people not to update production devices they rely on, and everyone ignores me or brands me a heretic. Last year's changes to IAA, and subsequently Audiobus, created a lot of unforeseen woes. To this day there are still many people plugging away on iOS 7 because they just don't want to deal with it. iOS 9 promises a lot of interesting new features though, including Split Screen multitasking, so the temptation to upgrade this time will be quite high!

Just Say No!

Let's get the warning out of the way. If you rely on your iOS devices for your music production you should not be updating willy-nilly. There has never been an OS update on any platform that didn't ruin someone's day. This is true across all platforms, I'm not just lollipopting on Apple here. I skipped Windows 8 entirely and will probably hold off on Windows 10 for at least 6-9 months so they have time to iron out the kinks. If you rely on a computing device: Do not frivolously update it.

Meth: Not Even Once

One of the most compelling iOS 9 features for musicians is the promise of split-screening two different apps side-by-side. Unfortunately you won't be doing any of that unless you are on an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 4.

There is also "Slide Over" multitasking which is a smaller split screen providing some functions from apps specifically tailored to work with it. The Slide Over functionality is limited to iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, and iPad Mini 4.

So unless you're running on the bleeding edge hardware, or have apps updated to support Slide Over, you won't see any major benefit to updating today.

Crack is Whack

And it may take a while for you to see apps updated for iOS 9. As with every iOS update the reviewers at iTunes Connect are swamped, slowing down the approval process. Further gumming up the works this year, Apple didn't allow developers to submit apps built on the latest iOS 9 SDK until the 12th of this month. Developers have had less than a week to gain approval before iOS 9's release today!

Korg is among those developers affected, and has issued a statement warning of crashes on iOS 9 for Gadget, Module, and iM1.

Mary Jane Ruins The Brain

Audiobus' iOS 9 update is also awaiting approval from Apple. I spoke with developer Sebastian Dittmann and he assures me that although there may be some quirks, iOS 9 should not be fatal.

There will be some new nuisances, but these are a "feature" of iOS 9 and not Audiobus bugs. In response to abusive apps launching other apps without permission, Apple has had to implement a new system requiring user's consent. Launching other apps is a big part of what makes Audiobus' workflow so great, so Apple's new pop-up will become quickly tiresome.

This pop-up will occur once per-app to each app connection. For instance:

"Do you want to open Nave from Audiobus?"

You'll recall that a function of Audiobus's app launching is that after the app succesfully launches it takes you back to Audiobus... so you'll get a new pop-up:

"Do you want to open Audiobus from Nave?"

Perhaps you're playing around in Nave and decide you need more reverb:

"Do you want to open AUFX: Space from Audiobus?"

And then of course...

"Do you want to open Audiobus from AUFX: Space?"

I want to stress that the pop-up will only occur once per each app connection. Launching a previously approved app from a previously approved app launcher will not cause the pop-up. This still seems like it will be quite annoying.

Above the Influence

Over the last month I've been getting reports from readers that they are unable to play videos and click on some links here on the site. After a lot of research I concluded that this only happens on iOS 7, irregardless of the browser used. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. I hadn't made any changes to the site code when the problems were reported. Even if I totally remove all of my custom code the site is still wonky as **** on iOS 7. I have always gone out of my way to make sure the site runs smooth on mobile, but I just can't figure out what's happening on iOS 7. I sincerely hope that iOS 9 will be a solid OS we can all update to without losing too many legacy apps.

Onsong iOS 9 Status

iOS 9 is Coming Tomorrow. Be Prepared!

Apple is set to launch iOS 9 tomorrow and we at OnSong want to make sure you are prepared.  It can be unsettling to wonder "should I upgrade or not?"  To help reduce that anxiety, we want to let you know our plan and offer a few tips when considering an iOS upgrade.

If It Ain't Broke... Throughout this past year we've worked to update OnSong to workaround iOS 8 issues as Apple has released new versions. Please be aware that operating system upgrades can cause issues in the many apps you use.  Confirm that all of your critical apps are working as expected before making the leap.

Be prepared.  While you should never experience data loss when upgrading iOS or OnSong, there is always the potential for an unexpected problem.  We recommend that you always keep a backup of your OnSong Library and iOS device before you upgrade.

Allow plenty of time.  Never install an iOS upgrade or OnSong update prior to a show. Give yourself plenty of time to use the software and learn about new or changed features. OnSong provides full release notes and documentation to get up to speed.  This also gives us plenty of time to answer your questions or help to get you up and running. Be sure to disable automatic updates so you have control when updates get installed.

Be patient.  OnSong 1.999 will launch later in September after iOS 9 is released.

This is intended to address any last minute problems that might appear in the final version.

Follow us.  

https://www.facebook.com/onsongapp?_rdr=p

----

LINE-6  iOS 9 Status

http://line6.com/support/forum-83/announcement-70-ios-9-compatibility-statement/

Apple has announced an iOS 9 release date of September 16, 2015. At this time, the following Line 6 apps are not compatible with iOS 9 and therefore will not work:

·   AMPLIFi Remote

·   Firehawk Remote

·   Stagescape Remote

We highly recommend that users of these products do not upgrade their mobile device to iOS 9. We are working on software updates to provide iOS9 compatibility and intend to release them soon. Please check back at www.line6.com for the latest information on availability.

---

You do realize that when you advertise that a product is compatible with a operating system at the time of purchase that the expectation of the consumer is that the manufacturer will maintain compatibility with any upgrades that occur especially if the purchase was just prior to the upgrade. It is irrelevant that musicians who create on Apple make up .001% of the user base, then place a warning on your product that you do not care about musicians who use Apple products. Also when you register you have a responsibility to warn your customers that you have a problem and let the customers choose proactively what they will do about the update.

• Upvote 3

what planet do you live on? on this one... you're only responsible for what you actually print on the box... not some future whatever....

and they are working on an update. i realize you wouldn't have iOS9 if you had any patience....

but that's what it's going to take.... 

You do realize that when you advertise that a product is compatible with a operating system at the time of purchase that the expectation of the consumer is that the manufacturer will maintain compatibility with any upgrades that occur especially if the purchase was just prior to the upgrade. It is irrelevant that musicians who create on Apple make up .001% of the user base, then place a warning on your product that you do not care about musicians who use Apple products. Also when you register you have a responsibility to warn your customers that you have a problem and let the customers choose proactively what they will do about the update.

what planet do you live on? on this one... you're only responsible for what you actually print on the box... not some future whatever....

and they are working on an update. i realize you wouldn't have iOS9 if you had any patience....

but that's what it's going to take.... 

The real failure here is in customer communications. Taking the position that we should trust that Line 6 is busy working on an update even though they haven't issued a statement since July seems a little ridiculous. If they were as competent as you assume one of three things would already have happened: either they would have fixed the problem over the last two months; fixed the problem in time for the first update to iOS 9; or issued a statement explaining the problem and why the solution warrants our patience. Most, if not all, of the issues in other music apps listed in a post above were resolved in the first week and the communication was much better (I'm a user of both OnSong, Audiobus and the various apps that work with it). I cannot say that I am unhappy with iOS 9 - it contains some excellent advancements - but I do regret purchasing the Line 6 products I now own.

In no way am I meaning to pile on frustrated users here, only offering up another perspective.

In Analytical Chemistry, companies easily spend  $100,000 to $500,000 on one instrument. The software that comes with it is typically supported thru the life cycle of the current OS it runs on at the time of purchase. Even though they release patches as new updates and SP's come out for the OS, it is well communicated not to install them until they have a stable patch, let alone jump to the next OS. So what typically happens is that OS isn't touched, or at least that is what the group that uses these instruments would like. But of course to remain on the network, updates are automatically pushed out for security reasons, even though most IT departments will not support these types of 3rd tier software. An alternative is to purchase a non supported, non networked, essentially crippled, computer running a $500,000 instrument. :o  (I wonder. is this a frigging circus or something??)

When a new OS comes out you typically have to purchase new software if you want to run on that OS, this can easily be $1,000 to $3,000 (or more depending on the system(s)). Multiply that situation by how ever many of these types of instruments you have.

What the!!?? We drop that kinda dough on just one instrument and we need to purchase new software for each OS? 

And Analytically Chemistry is but one genre in the Life Sciences field.

Talk about a money pitt!!

End of said perspective (and a bit of a personal rant).

• Downvote 1

Yes it would have been nice to hear from Line 6 via e-mail re the IOS 9 update, I've only just got my Amplifi 100FX unit and was half way through putting our set list into it, whilst on a break from it my wife updated our I-pad and rendered my FX useless. Now, because you can't backtrack the IOS I'm stuck with a floorboard that's only half as good as it shoud be until the I.T. dept at Line 6 get to grips with IOS 9. Poor show Line 6, please let us all know by e-mail when you get this sorted, rather than us having to fish for the info everyday.

I am not a gigging/working musician however when I spend my hard earned pounds I do so with the confidence that the piece of equipment will perform as advertised/sold, at the moment this is not the case with my FX100.

I have never used Line 6 gear before and initially I was impressed, so much so that I was thinking of investing in a DT25 amp however this farce has caused me to rethink my decision as I don't have confidence in the Line 6 brand anymore!

LINE 6 - YOU NEED TO BUILD SOME BRIDGES.

TL;DR: A fix should be available soon.

Hi Guys,

This seems to happen to a wide variety of developers every year, and staying ahead of things in mobile OS-land is never easy, especially when phones and tablets update themselves. It's not like ProTools, where all the studio owners agreed to stick with Mac OS9.2 for years until Digidesign finally said OS X was good to go.

Here's the scoop:

We are well aware of iOS 9 breaking AMPLIFi Remote (Line 6 is far from alone in this regard, if you read gear forums) and we've assigned compatibility the very highest priority. Understand that in addition to ensuring that the update resolves the current issue, we need to make sure that new issues don't sneak up on us. Additionally, as with all other iOS developers, we have no control over the time it takes for Apple to approve the new app (every update—even tiny ones—must be approved by Cupertino). So unfortunately, at this time, we can't commit to a date, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• Upvote 1

Just announced - http://line6.com/support/forum-70/announcement-74-amplifi-remote-v2500-adds-support-for-ios-9/

AMPLIFi Remote v2.50.0 is live and will be available in the Apple App Store within the next few hours. It provides:

- Support for iOS 9
- New workflow for faster and more intuitive navigation (legacy workflow also available by turning off “Use Tabbed Navigation†in the Settings view)
- AMPLIFi Watch app now provides access to all tone types, as well as control over drive, bass, mid, treble, fx mix, and reverb mix parameters
- Support for iOS 9 split-screen multitasking (iPad only)
- Enhanced signal flow editor
- Unified and intuitive menu for saving tones to any location
- Fast access to master and guitar output levels from any view
- Various bug fixes

With this release, we’re back to working on a firmware release that provides performance improvements for AMPLIFi. Please check our AMPLIFi forum periodically for the latest information on availability.

Thank you for all your support, we are constantly working on improving the overall user experience of AMPLIFi. Please stay tuned!

The Line 6 AMPLIFi Team

Just announced - http://line6.com/support/forum-70/announcement-74-amplifi-remote-v2500-adds-support-for-ios-9/

AMPLIFi Remote v2.50.0 is live and will be available in the Apple App Store within the next few hours. It provides:

- Support for iOS 9

- New workflow for faster and more intuitive navigation (legacy workflow also available by turning off “Use Tabbed Navigation†in the Settings view)

- AMPLIFi Watch app now provides access to all tone types, as well as control over drive, bass, mid, treble, fx mix, and reverb mix parameters

- Support for iOS 9 split-screen multitasking (iPad only)

- Enhanced signal flow editor

- Unified and intuitive menu for saving tones to any location

- Fast access to master and guitar output levels from any view

- Various bug fixes

Great news! I hope to see soon a similar upgrade for the Firehawk Remote App.