Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-89f: Low E "chirps" When Using Modeled Tones

The issue occurs when using the modeled tones with distortion, both with the 8.2 and 9.1 firmware. Muting the open E, and to a lesser extent, the 1st fret, causes a sort of chirp, a very high-pitched noise that overrides the note. The A string has just a slight bit of chirpiness, but barely noticeable. Light pick scraping or tapping of the bridge also causes this sound to occur. I'm thinking it's probably more of a mechanical issue than a firmware issue at this point. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas for a fix, or should I just send it back? Any helpful advice appreciated. 

On a probably unrelated note, the part where the tremolo arm screws is very loose and has a lot of play in it. Grrr....

Other than the above gripes, this guitar has a lot going for it. I give it high marks on playability, and I like the sound of the magnetic pups. At least one acoustic model is usable, and I dig the sitar model. I'd like more of the other models if I could actually use them, but the "chirp" issue makes them useless once distortion is involved. Using a Line 6 Spider, btw. 

Might be a similar principle. I hesitate to take the Floyd apart during the return period, though. I think I'm just going to try and have Musician's Friend swap this guitar out for another one. Might get lucky and have a fully workable one shipped. 

On a probably unrelated note, the part where the tremolo arm screws is very loose and has a lot of play in it. Grrr....

I was a bit miffed when i got my 89F because the normal graphtech floyd appears to have a push-in arm on their website, but the model on the 89F is a screw-on type. I've had lots of issues with screw-on arms on cheaper guitars, and was wondering if the whole socket assembly is replaceable on these graphtech bridges? It would be a scary job to fit though, as you'd have to remove the springs and the trem taking care to not disturb the wiring, but it may be worth it in the long run.

TBH though, i haven't really used the trem much so maybe i'm jumping to conclusions too quickly. Maybe some plumbers tape or something on the thread would make it tighter

I wonder if maybe the strings are not centered in the bridge where it clamps down.  Like maybe the strings are rubbing the sides where the strings clamp in.  Piezo pickups are allot more sensitive than standard magnetic.  So when you do the modeling it picks it up.  And High gain amplifies it even more..  or perhaps something with the nut like a funny burgh in it or something the strings are hitting it cause a funny harmonic.  I hope this helps Not sure with out looking at the guitar or hearing a sound sample..

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's an upper harmonic, high frequency whistle or howl?

The intonation needs to be adjusted on that string. If the intonation is off, frequency clashes between the fret stop and the related upper harmonics. It still occurs with magnetic pick-ups too, it's just less apparent. I see this often on a host of guitars, not just JTV's, but high resonant Models and/or reverb can bring out this effec more. Also have a guitar set-up tech, check your set-up for other adjustments.

If it's just one string, then it's just a matter of taking a good set-up and dialing in a little further and more precise. A good set-up tech will have some sort of precision tuner to tune and intonate with. Remember, environment (temperatur and humidity) can alter a set-up, especially if you're gigging in multiple locations. Shipping across the country?..., then let it sit for a couple of days to aclimate, then check the set-up.

If you gig a lot, you may want to get one of those environment snake rods for inside your guitar case.

Wow, is this "phenomenon" still apparent in the modelling?

A few years ago I borrowed a Variax from a store and tried it at home (this was the first version of the Variax).

Many of the models sounded great in my ears, especially the Strat became my favourite.

The reasons I didn't buy the guitar was it felt low-budget to play on and that some of the models had this weird sound on the string when muting the low E.

I thought that by now this problem would have been eliminated.

Too bad, I was actually starting to think about getting one now since the introduction of James Tyler. Now, this has made me to really hesitate.

• 2 months later...

Update: The replacement guitar did not have the annoying chirp effect to such a high degree so I decided to keep it even though action setup was horrid compared to the first unit. With a little tweaking I got the action set up pretty well. I am now experiencing a recurrence of the loose tremolo arm socket. It annoys me that I have to remove the bridge in order to access the allen screw on the socket, necessitating another setup procedure after what should be a simple 2-minute job. I might just drill a hole in the back for easier access if this problem recurs. For the most part I'm quite happy with this guitar, and it's given me the nudge I needed to start writing music again after several years of hiatus.