Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Amps ?

titchyblackcat

Either Soldano Crunch or Overdrive would be good. There's a lot of amps in there, though, that cover a middle ground. You could also use a clean amp and add some overdrive in front of it, which might provide a little more flexibility within a single patch.

As another option for clean, there's also Soldano Clean.

• Upvote 1

Fenders for clean. Marshalls for grind. Phd Motorway for blues and country. That's about it but there is usually a good bit of tweaking with the cabs going on. I also tend to not use the overdrive or distortion boxes. I use the drive knob and the master volume to drive the amp sim in to distortion just like you would a real amp. Also a little compression to even things after the amp. I like compression after the amp because the amp reacts to my volume changes on my guitar very much like the real thing.

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys.

I've always struggled with setting up Marshalls. The only one I've tried is the J-45 for clean rhythm.

These Pods are so time consuming because of the choice. (not a bad thing but it still takes a lot of time).

Unless you require an extraordinary variety of tones, you'll probably find yourself settling in on 3 or 4 models after a while. I like the blackface for cleans (Hi way occasionally too), Marshall for dirty rhythms, and Solano and Bogner Shiva for most leads.

Unless you require an extraordinary variety of tones, you'll probably find yourself settling in on 3 or 4 models after a while. I like the blackface for cleans (Hi way occasionally too), Marshall for dirty rhythms, and Solano and Bogner Shiva for most leads.

I agree i think i'll end with about 2 or 3 for each style.

Be consistent with your cabs too. I only use two different cab models for all my patches.

I have to say I just played 5 shows in a row with my HD500 and two Alto powered speakers and it just killed.

I use amps for a while and then go back to the HD500 for setting up tearing down going direct convenience and it never ceases to amaze me.

• Upvote 2

Be consistent with your cabs too. I only use two different cab models for all my patches.

I have to say I just played 5 shows in a row with my HD500 and two Alto powered speakers and it just killed.

I use amps for a while and then go back to the HD500 for setting up tearing down going direct convenience and it never ceases to amaze me.

I 2nd that.  I use the Dr Z cab and usually the U87 mic, or sometimes the 121.  Finding one good cabinet you like takes SO much of the guess work out. 

My " fave" amps tend to shift slightly from time to time but I generally find I use the following to get a range of tones

Clean / Edge of break-up - Fender Bassman / Vox AC30 /  Soldano Clean

Blues -  Dr Z / Fender Deluxe

Crunch -  Plexi / Orange / Soldano Crunch

Hard Rock / Metal - JCM / Park / Treadplate

Also, for a slightly different flavour in the Clean / Edge of break-up tones, I will use the Divided by 13 / Supro / Gibtone and Fender Champ.

Hey Titchy

Yeah, I find the Marshalls ( and Park ) Models the hardest to dial in and I find that they are the amp models that I have to change cabs/mics on the most to get them to sound better ( I also need to use one or two Parametric EQs after the mixer block to dial out the "fiizzy" frequencies )

A little more patience needed for those amps but they can be dialled in pretty nicely.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, the Marshall/Park models seems to respond better with the gain dialled off to a light crunch and a OD/Distortion pedal in front to bring the gain up to the required level.

So far the only amp I like consistently is the AC 30, both for clean and dirty.   I know this is due to some mistakes/oversights I'm making in settings and/or cabinet/mic choices.  The Blackface and Divided models have weak output.  At first glance the Marshall's are muddy.  I have the vintage pack but don't use any of them.

HD Vintage Pack   Model Name Modeled After Jazz Rivet  Roland® JC-120 Small Tweed Fender® Champ® (Tweed)      Mandarin 80 Orange® OR80 A30 Fawn Nrm VOX® AC30 (Fawn Normal Ch.) A30 Fawn Brt VOX® AC30 (Fawn Bright Ch.) Line 6 Acoustic Line 6 Original Black Panel Pete Pete Anderson Custom  Roland® JC-120 2x12 CAB   Fender® Champ® 1x8 CAB       

My favourite amp models are Fender Baseman Normal (Tweed B-Man Normal), Fender Twin Reverb (Blackface Double Normal), Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier (Tread plate), Soldano 100 Clean, Vox AC-30.

From the HD Fully loaded bundle, I really enjoy the following: Remastered Marshall JCM800, Orange OR80, and Roland JC-120.