Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Pedal location in patch? Front, back, middle, none.

Indianrock2020

I just started putting a volume pedal effect at the end of every patch.  Looking at some patches I've purchased, most don't have a volume pedal.  Good video here on volume pedal location on a regular pedal board.  Where do you put your volume pedal in a patch chain?    So far I'm just trying to have some control over the output to the sound board, not doing swells or anything like trying to push an OD effect harder.

http://youtu.be/4SQ-G75_pk0

I like it behind the amp right before the Delay and Verb. I still get the delay and reverb trails when I drop it out. I tried assigning the channel volume but the channel volume doesn't seem to be as consistent from model to model on the taper of the volume and on some setup it will not drop out completely either. It's very low but not completely out. As for tone before the Amp to clean up the tone I just use the volume on the guitar.

I use a tube comp with Threshold set to 100 and the expression assigned to control the Level with 0 make-up gain on minimum and about 15 on maximum.

That way I get about a doubling in volume in range that because of the compressor is relatively immune to volume changes for other reasons such as going from clean to distorted by turning up the guitar volume knob.

I know this means I don't have a full dynamic range, but it is very useful for fitting into a band where I need to be within a consistent volume range all the time

Lots of good things to try here.  Have any of you tried a dual amp patch ( like two BlackFace Nrms ) where the amp model is kind of weak?

I tried channel volume assigned to expression, but like others said, seemed to kind of jump in volume rather than a smooth transition with a volume pedal effect.   Running out of DSP isn't an issue with the few effects I use.

hmmmm. I just learned about assigning the pedal to gain etc. This is an interesting idea.

My current setup is to have it alternate between Vol/Wah. Is it possible to use it for Channel Vol/Wah?

Yes Exp1 and Exp2 (changes when you hit the switch. Can be assigned to nearly anything and you can have more than one effect assigned to each one. So you could say have Channel Volume (or Volume Pedal) and a gain pedal Dist both assigned to Exp1 and when you move Exp1 it will affect both. The POD is very flexable in that manner. If you get a plug in a second Exp pedal it automaticly become Exp2 so then you don't have to switch. Only thing I didn't like about the second expression pedal is it doesn't have swtich so it's odd to use the second expression as the wah as you have to use a seperate button to turn it on/off. 

I tinkered around last night. The crybaby sounded great before the pod.

However using the Pedal for Channel volume was more challenging.

It's going to require spending more time to set the min-max values dialed-in for each patch/amp.

I think using it for gain control may be more usable. I tried it briefly before. Any more thoughts/tips on that?

So far I still like a volume pedal "effect" at the end of the chain tied to expression 1 --  the volume transition is smooth unlike setting it to amp channel volume.     I don't think running out of processing power is going to be an issue for me with the relatively few effects I use.  I might try tying the expression pedal to something like Tube Comp level, the comp is usually up front so you're pushing everything that way, rather than just using a volume pedal at the end as a master volume.

• Upvote 1