Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I leave the pod hd500x on for long periods of time?

Faresalroosan

Yo guys, since the 500x doesn't have a power button I sometimes forget to unplug it and leave it on overnight and sometimes a day or two. I I also leave it on when I'm listening to music or playing video games cause the sound monitors are connected to it.

Is there any problem with doing this or should I only be using it for the guitar

What kills electronics is heat and transients. Each time you turn something on, the inrush current "fatigues" the electronics. Heat eventually kills it. So, if you have good ventilation then leaving it on for a day or two at a time shouldn't be a problem.

So basically it's better leaving it on for a full day (with good ventilation) than keep turning it on and off throughout the day every time I want to use it?

So basically it's better leaving it on for a full day (with good ventilation) than keep turning it on and off throughout the day every time I want to use it?

Short answer is that it's complicated.  Electronics can be designed such that turning them on/off causes no problems pretty easily, it's other line transients that are a problem. Without knowing the Line 6 design, it's hard to say how well/poorly they did in this regard. 

For reference, I'm an EE who designs enterprise level storage products that need to turn on/off safely and reliably.  The big concern is suppressing transient events from the AC line (AC power can be very fickle in a house or industrial environment where you have big loads turning on and off like AC units, refrigerators/compressors, etc).  These transients can happen any time, so it's not only turning on the device that matters but also how well it rejects line transients due to varying load.  This is affected also by how poorly the house is wired. If they've designed a good AC supply, much of these can be filtered out.

• Upvote 1

Most things are better to be left on than turned on and off. 

Ever wonder why a trucker leaves his rig runnings for the 8 hours that he is sleeping at the rest stop? 

Let your car run when you pull to a gas station to buy smokes. 

Leave your tv on. 

Corkscrew lightbulbs (are those the CFL?) --- they don't show good light, or save any energy until they have been on for at leasts 5 minutes. 

They are best when left on for extended periods of time. Whereas, the LED and old fashioned outlawed bulbs do better when turned off. 

But the ultimate answer is this.... 

If you fall asleep instead of hitting the studio a 2nd time and you end up leaving it on all night - it is not going to break. 

Yes, piano_xyz, and your new name pianogayy, I get it. You have no life and have created a secret profile to give me a thumbs down on all of my posts because you don't have the balls to use your regular profile. It's ok, I get it. You are jealous that you can't compete. 

I am fine with it. Especially since I don't follow online rating systems. 

Hell, at least now you can shoot your wad at the fact that I even acknowledged that you exist. 

• Upvote 2

Ever wonder why a trucker leaves his rig runnings for the 8 hours that he is sleeping at the rest stop?

I'm gonna go with "because they don't want to freeze to death when it's 4 below, or stroke out from the heat when it's 89 degrees and 114% humidity at 2 am"...I seriously doubt your average trucker is worrying about turning the engine over one more time.

Diesel fuel actually turns to a thick jelly in cold weather, which is why I believe truckers leave their trucks running in the winter...  

I doubt occasionally will hurt it, but continuously... Anything only has a finite life-span, including the wall wart that powers it. If you feel that after it's been on for a session, it's got a little warmth going on. Thermal breakdown of insulation is a gradual process. Never noticed any real warmth from the 500(X) unit itself, but have noticed the power supply on it is warm to the touch.

What killed my XTL was job after job of plugging/unplugging the power jack from the wall wart into the XTL. Finally, the jack came undone from the circuit board inside. Something shorted internally and a waft of smoke ensued and a really bad Bakelite smell... Next day, picked up a POD X3Live. Have progressed through the HD500 to the 500X. Have not had that problem again. Think they improved the power jack so it doesn't have any real play in it. REALLY glad they went with the IEC standard 3 - pin 120V (to 240V in Europe) connector and a power switch on the Helix -- about time... I digress...

Dave

nah, i just prefer to leave things on.... idle power is less harmful to electronics than the power it takes to start them up... 

i get to play quicker, and its always right where i left it in terms of dialing it in or whatever...

it would still be on if i still had it! :)

Lose a bet with your local utility?

And how long did they think they could get away with it ?

No one ever thinks they're gonna get caught...doesn't matter if it's a speeding ticket, or capital murder. If people actually gave any thought to the fact that their actions have consequences, we'd live in a crime-free utopia.

• Upvote 1