Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's Your Favorite Acoustic?

I always use position 5 for now and it's the gibson one. I'm a bit diseapointed that the martin sound worse to me and the other one in position 3 is a joke.

Anybody prefer other ones than gibson? Am I missing something?

I always use position 5 for now and it's the gibson one. I'm a bit diseapointed that the martin sound worse to me and the other one in position 3 is a joke.

Anybody prefer other ones than gibson? Am I missing something?

What are you using for amplification?  With a FRFR speaker system the acoustic models are an entirely different animal.

I'm using a dream rig and my acoustic sound goes through old 450 mackie (rcf speakers before they made cheap chinese speaker)

Dream rig implies an HD500, correct?  Have you tried using compression and a bit of EQ on the "bad" sounds?

I use the martin dreadnought a lot on my 600. I EQed it quiet a bit to give it an even more realistic sound, or at least to sound like my acoustic when I play it in front of my AT2020.

It sounds really nice, really almost like the real thing, maybe a bit of nuances off here and there, but it's excellent.

I'd love the JTV acoustic sounds though. They sound a lot more realistic in sounding like a mic'd up guitar. Maybe a little bit shallow in the trebles than I like, but that is easily fixable with an EQ boosting the trebles.

Either way, that's what my Acoustic EQ settings make the acoustics sound like anyways, kinda like the new HD Acoustics on the JTV 1.8 and above firmware.

I like to use the others a bit. Jumbo is really nice, and the 12 string martin is lovely.

Maybe you guys can help me. I have a JTV-69 going into an HD 500 and then via Line 6 into a Stagesource L2T. Many of the patches that I get from customtone and several of the patches in the zip file provided by Melissiah have absolutely no audio. In Melissiah's zip I did get audio from the Brit J-45 brtpre, Pink Floyd muff, and two of the three Pink Floyd patches - I got no audio from The Wall SOLO.

I'm thinking this may point out (to folks on the forum with far more experience than I have so far) what I need to tweak to be able to get to hear audio from these other patches.

The ones that did produce audio sounded great by the way.

Glenn

• Upvote 1

Maybe you guys can help me. I have a JTV-69 going into an HD 500 and then via Line 6 into a Stagesource L2T. Many of the patches that I get from customtone and several of the patches in the zip file provided by Melissiah have absolutely no audio. In Melissiah's zip I did get audio from the Brit J-45 brtpre, Pink Floyd muff, and two of the three Pink Floyd patches - I got no audio from The Wall SOLO.

I'm thinking this may point out (to folks on the forum with far more experience than I have so far) what I need to tweak to be able to get to hear audio from these other patches.

The ones that did produce audio sounded great by the way.

Glenn

Since you seem to like my patches here's the 3 one I forgot to put in my bundle. It's to play shine on you crazy diamond. I use both compressor on intro like David did.

www.monsieurmaxime.com/resources/Shine%20on.zip

Hold view button and scroll from pages and look. Since I go to a DT25 via L6 link I don't know if regular outputs are desactivated by accident in some patches. My acoustic patch use effect send to go directly to PA.

I did discovered on page 3 of the setup on the LCD and changed the Inputs Setup from PRESET to GLOBAL.

Now I get audio from all but 1000 Years and Variax Acoustic.

Still don't know what I need to change to get them working

Still in the early stage of mastering the hd500

• Upvote 1

I use the martin dreadnought a lot on my 600. I EQed it quiet a bit to give it an even more realistic sound, or at least to sound like my acoustic when I play it in front of my AT2020.

It sounds really nice, really almost like the real thing, maybe a bit of nuances off here and there, but it's excellent.

I'd love the JTV acoustic sounds though. They sound a lot more realistic in sounding like a mic'd up guitar. Maybe a little bit shallow in the trebles than I like, but that is easily fixable with an EQ boosting the trebles.

Either way, that's what my Acoustic EQ settings make the acoustics sound like anyways, kinda like the new HD Acoustics on the JTV 1.8 and above firmware.

I like to use the others a bit. Jumbo is really nice, and the 12 string martin is lovely.

Can you share your acoustic patch of jtv?

I did discovered on page 3 of the setup on the LCD and changed the Inputs Setup from PRESET to GLOBAL.

Now I get audio from all but 1000 Years and Variax Acoustic.

Still don't know what I need to change to get them working

Still in the early stage of mastering the hd500

You have 2 choices

1: Delete the fx loop block so you'll have acoustic assigned to your regular output

2: Put a cable to fx loop send jack to a mixer or another amp

also in the 500 edit software on the mixer page I set in line 6 link amp 1 to mute so no acoustic go to amp. I forgot to do that in my variax acoustic patch so it's why there is a small amount of sound going into amp

Some of the POD HD Acoustics are pretty useful for recording AND gigging to me.

I find myself very often using the Gibson J-200 (no.5). Here are two recordings I did some where last year:

Dust In The wind (not very accurate playing):

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11430015&q=hi&newref=1

Here Comes The sun (with alternate tuning):

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11364076&q=hi&newref=1

For 12-string Acoustic I prefer the Guild (no. 4). The recording is also from 2012. I played the hell of a lot of different guitars tracks in that recording. The smart thing is the alternate tuning. It is originally played with a Capo on the 7th fret. With the alternate tuning I play it in the open position :-)

Hotel California:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11620039&q=hi&newref=1

Playing Acoustics on a E-guitar for giging was one of the door openers for me to the JTVs.

The flip side of the medal is that I have my strings pretty low on all of my guitars. That is not the best for Acoustics. Especially when playing alone you hear the string noises.

I think it is also helpful to use thicker string when playing Acoustics on the JTVs. That is I guess the reason why Line6 has 10s - 46s as the standard setup. 9s sound a little bit too thin for my taste.

some people prefer the older variax acoustic models... if you downgrade your firmware to 1.7x you will have them on your JTV as well...

of course you do lose any features that came after that... and of course will miss out on the variax HD 2.0 update when it comes out....

but if the 1.7x firmware suits your needs go for it.

I did get the Variax Acoustic patch to work by removing the effects loop from the signal chain. My first foray into modifying the path. This thing is getting a little less scary all the time.

Thanks to all for your help.

I used to use mostly the jumbo model, but lately I've been gravitating towards the dreadnought.  I think they both have their uses.  Sometimes I'll play chords with one and lead lines with the other.  

To me the key is how the patch is setup on the HD500.  Without the right amount of compression and EQ they're all going to sound kinda flat.  I've gotten really good results with the JTV/HD500.  To the point I sold my Variax 700 acoustic guitar because I no longer needed it.  

I played at church yesterday and there were 3 other acoustic guitars on the stage.  There was one song where they needed some lead acoustic work and electric in the latter half of the song.  Through the pa I felt that the Line 6 equipment had the bast acoustic sound up there.  Not saying the other guitars sounded bad at all, just thbh e Variax had something extra.  Several people, including some of the other acoustic guys on stage were very interested in how I was getting that sound from an electric guitar. 

Being able to go from full acoustic rig to full electric rig with the touch of a button is awesome.  Not to mention it's changing the selected guitar and change the tuning.  Brilliant! 

attached one of the acoustic patches that I've done.  I did tweek the eq some yesterday because the room was bright and not getting a lot of low end.  So if it sounds a little dark you may have to adjust it.  

Here's a video I did in my studio a few weeks ago.  This a chilled out little acoustic looping improve.  My signal is going VDI cable from the JTV to the 500 . The stereo outputs are run to the stereo inputs of a Digitech Jamman.  From there the audio gets fed into Ableton Live that was just used to capture audio in this case.  

Honestly playing acoustic on the JTV is almost as fun as playing electric :)

• Upvote 3

+1 for the usage of a Compressor and some EQ-ing.

Acoustics sounds are more challenging to me than E-guitar sound, because of their more complex frequencies and the various playing styles.

The Acoustic sounds may need different EQ-ing when playing:

- open position

- Alternate tuning

- finger picking

- strumming with pick

For gigging, I often cut frequencies lower than 80Hz (-12) and increase at 1.1KHz  and 2.2 KHz a bit.

I prefer using the VETTA COMP with SENS = 33% and LEVEL = around 70% as the very first effect in the signal chain.

I think everyone needs to fiddle a bit around to adapt it to the audio system and to the room the Acoustic sound is played.

For gigging, I often cut frequencies lower than 80Hz (-12) and increase at 1.1KHz  and 2.2 KHz a bit.

I prefer using the VETTA COMP with SENS = 33% and LEVEL = around 70% as the very first effect in the signal chain.

That's interesting because I always put the EQ first followed by the compressor which tends to be the valve comp. My thought was that compressing before eq would mean that the unwanted frequencies would dominate the comp input, but having heard the sound you are getting I might try reversing them - the eq was only the low end cut  to reduce the boominess when strumming so a little mid boost might work nicely.

That said I was complimented for the "great sound" on our very first gig at a musicians only jam nite.

My selection varies - mainly 5 for 6 string and 4 for 12 string, but I do use 3 when it is right for the song - for example we play Aqualung and with a 3rd fret capo it does the acoustic guitar perfectly

That's interesting because I always put the EQ first followed by the compressor which tends to be the valve comp. My thought was that compressing before eq would mean that the unwanted frequencies would dominate the comp input, but having heard the sound you are getting I might try reversing them - the eq was only the low end cut  to reduce the boominess when strumming so a little mid boost might work nicely.

I think your first idea was the most technically sound approach.  If you have excessive boominess on the bottom end, that's just going to make the compressor pump more if it's first in the chain.  I've always regarded "EQ and filtering before compression" as the Golden Rule.  Not to say that good sounds can't be made by doing otherwise, just that there are technical reasons suggesting against them.

Hi Rewolf48,

(5) for 6-string and (4) for 12-string is exactly what I mostly prefer at the moment too.

Regarding compressors:

------------------------------

Place Compressors pretty early in a signal chain - for Acoustic and e-guitar sounds. Honestly speaking I am not sure whether this is "right". But at least to my ears it sounds "right" :D

Would be great, if other users chime what compressors they use for Acoustics, what parameters they are setting and how they place a compressor in their signal chain.

Hi Rewolf48,

(5) for 6-string and (4) for 12-string is exactly what I mostly prefer at the moment too.

Regarding compressors:

------------------------------

Place Compressors pretty early in a signal chain - for Acoustic and e-guitar sounds. Honestly speaking I am not sure whether this is "right". But at least to my ears it sounds "right" :D

Would be great, if other users chime what compressors they use for Acoustics, what parameters they are setting and how they place a compressor in their signal chain.

Well that's the point of this thread. :) or at least what I hope when I started it. Share what is working for you. :)

Haven't had a chance to practice since yesterday, but will get some time in before rehearsal tomorrow (unfortunately the songs we are concentrating on require me to play keyboards).  Will have a play with the eq and compression if I have time.

Just a little expansion of the discussion here, but:

-> what mic position (tone knob) do people use?

-> do you have any tricks to change the sound that are perhaps a bit different from the norm?

To give you an example of the latter with the acoustics I will generally strum and play arpeggios close to the neck, but when I want clearly articulated single notes I will play right by the bridge - not something that you would do with an acoustic, but it works very nicely with the JTV piezos. This is when I want to cut through while other instruments are playing rather than something I do if I am the solo instrument.

• Upvote 1

Personnaly I haven't started yet to touch that knob. This is so much parameter to play with with eq's and comp. +1 But it's a good point cause since the guitar is the 1st in the chain it can be the most important parameter. I only know that by default the know is not at 100%.

• 2 months later...

I used to think the same thing, only the Gibson and Guild 12 were usable.  However, I just bought the L2t and I love all my acoustics.  IMHO, anyone bought into modeling (ie PODs) trying to play through a guitar amp is missing the boat.  Play through a true FRFR like the L2t and get your socks knocked off.

I used to use mostly the jumbo model, but lately I've been gravitating towards the dreadnought.  I think they both have their uses.  Sometimes I'll play chords with one and lead lines with the other.  

To me the key is how the patch is setup on the HD500.  Without the right amount of compression and EQ they're all going to sound kinda flat.  I've gotten really good results with the JTV/HD500.  To the point I sold my Variax 700 acoustic guitar because I no longer needed it.  

I played at church yesterday and there were 3 other acoustic guitars on the stage.  There was one song where they needed some lead acoustic work and electric in the latter half of the song.  Through the pa I felt that the Line 6 equipment had the bast acoustic sound up there.  Not saying the other guitars sounded bad at all, just thbh e Variax had something extra.  Several people, including some of the other acoustic guys on stage were very interested in how I was getting that sound from an electric guitar. 

Being able to go from full acoustic rig to full electric rig with the touch of a button is awesome.  Not to mention it's changing the selected guitar and change the tuning.  Brilliant! 

attached one of the acoustic patches that I've done.  I did tweek the eq some yesterday because the room was bright and not getting a lot of low end.  So if it sounds a little dark you may have to adjust it.  

Here's a video I did in my studio a few weeks ago.  This a chilled out little acoustic looping improve.  My signal is going VDI cable from the JTV to the 500 . The stereo outputs are run to the stereo inputs of a Digitech Jamman.  From there the audio gets fed into Ableton Live that was just used to capture audio in this case.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanYate4obo

Honestly playing acoustic on the JTV is almost as fun as playing electric :)

Chuskey,

Really nice groove & nice acoustic tone! Lovin it!  :D  I am new to both the JTV-59 & HD500X and am doing some experimenting on how to get a good acoustic tone from the combo. Did I notice you using a JamMan looper in the video? How do you like that looper? I have just started to play with the HD500X looper, and it is really a gas to be able to loop something & play against it. I don't know what the true capabilities of the built-in looper are yet, but definitely ran up against it's recording time limits when playing with it. I may have to get a dedicated looper as some point.

Thanks for posting your video!

Cheers

B)

Chuskey,

Really nice groove & nice acoustic tone! Lovin it!  :D  I am new to both the JTV-59 & HD500X and am doing some experimenting on how to get a good acoustic tone from the combo. Did I notice you using a JamMan looper in the video? How do you like that looper? I have just started to play with the HD500X looper, and it is really a gas to be able to loop something & play against it. I don't know what the true capabilities of the built-in looper are yet, but definitely ran up against it's recording time limits when playing with it. I may have to get a dedicated looper as some point.

Thanks for posting your video!

Cheers

B)

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the video!

That is a Jamman Stereo that I'm using in the video.  There were a few reasons that I added the Jamman instead of just using the built in looper.  

Obviously having extended recording time is a major plus, as well as being able to add an SD card.  

Also you can store loops.  I have some instrumental tunes that I've recorded in the studio.  It's cool to be able to load the tracks without lead guitar on them and be able to jam with them live if I'm not playing with a band.  

One last advantage, and this one to me is a big deal, is that you can set loops to fade out rather than stop abruptly.  I hate creating an increasingly intricate loop and then getting to the end and just killing it.  I much prefer being able to fade out loops if I'm doing live improv stuff.  

The HD500 looper is still fun, and I still use it.  Sometimes if I just want a quick part, and sometimes I'll layer quick bits on top of what the Jamman is looping.  So it gives me the ability to have 2 separate loops.  Not as effective as what the Boss RC-50 type loopers can do, but still pretty flexible.  

Congrats on getting setup with the JTV and 500X.  They are great pieces of guitar and work so well together.  When I was playing music full time about 10 years ago I carried 4-5 guitars, a Marshall half stack, and a pedal board so big and heavy I had to put wheels on it just to keep from killing my back moving it around.  The JTV and HD500 would have pretty much replaced all of that with 2 pieces of gear and I could run straight to the PA.  Oh how I wish this gear would have been around back then :)

I still love guitars and gear, but for when I go out to play or track in the studio the convenience of the Dream Rig, for me, trumps any of it's shortcomings.