Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powered monitor upgrade suggestions

fisheaven

Hi all,

I am looking for new powered monitors for my HD500.

My main purpose is to practice in room and I play mostly metal and heavy rock.

I am now using a single Behringer C5A with HD500.
So far C5A works fine for me, but I just want to try more choices.

My budget is around $150-200 for a single monitor and I’ve read people recommend KRK Rokit 5 at this range.

I know my budget is not too much, so I’m wondering will a KRK Rokit 5 works better and has significant improvement than C5A?

I am also considering a small watt tube amp like Blackstar HT-5 since I have never played tube amps before and really want to try one.

So according to my purpose, is it worth to get a tube amp with my HD500 instead of a powered monitor even it’s out of my budget?

Thanks!

I know others will have their suggestions, but mine is actually way different than anything you are going to hear: 

Take $20-50, go to a place like Radio Shack or even yur locyl woll mert.

And buy a set of computer speakers. Just make sure you buy the 3.5mm or 1/4" models, not the USB ones. 

I have an HT-5C and Rokit6 monitors. I much prefer the sound of the HT-5C (the 12" version) The power amp tube is a 12BH7, long used in HiFi amps. When used for the power amp only (HD 1/4" out to HT fx return) it adds that tube something,real guitar amp feel to the HD's sound. If you get a chance to try before you buy, be sure to try all modes. I prefer Studio Direct. If you run 4CM through the clean channel it sounds decent, but the OD channel sounds awful (my opinion), and the ISF is NBD.

The Rokit speakers sound good, and get way loud, but I really have no way to compare them to what you've got.

If you're flat out broke, you make do with whatever you got (got a stereo?). If you've got toy money (you paid $500 for a POD, for chrissake!), you look a little higher. If you've aspirations for future recording, you'll definitely want decent playback monitors. How bad are the Behringers? They'd have to be pretty bad to sound worse than typical computer speakers!