Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JT69 /69S tremolo height

Hi, sorry my english is limited.

I had too much buzz on my JT69s and the saddle action screws on the bridge were already at the maximum when I received the guitar (it was brand new).

The only solution I found, after relaxing the truss road (1/8 turn), was to use the 2 main screws of the bridge and raise the entire block (see image), but I'm not sure it's the best way.

K.post-684361-0-20817900-1443299933_thumb.jpg

Could you share you own setups ?

thanks in advance, and sorry again for the bad english.

You should not have to crank the bridge up that high.  Looks to me like the neck set angle is wrong. 

I guess so, but can't fix the buzzing. or I have to work on the truss road again, neck is maybe too flat

What's your chords height on the 7 and 12 (and the latest fret) ?

Thanks again.

I can't comment on the neck bow, but the fact you have to jack the bridge so far from the body suggests the neck needs shimming.  If this is a new instrument, send it back for warranty service or replacement.  The string height on my JTV-69 is about 0.07" at the 12th fret.  However that may not mean much since I have a Strat neck on mine that's been professionally mounted and leveled in a Plek machine.  The original neck was a miserable design, but mine never needed the bridge cranked up like that.

The only solution I found, after relaxing the truss rod (1/8 turn)...

While truss rod adjustments do need to be made in small increments, 1/8 of a turn is hardly anything, and it probably won't move the neck all that much. Most routine set-up instructions call for 1/4 turn at a time, tuning to pitch, then allowing some time for the neck to settle in. Rather than jacking up the string height so high, you may just need to loosen the rod a bit more.

While truss rod adjustments do need to be made in small increments, 1/8 of a turn is hardly anything, and it probably won't move the neck all that much. Most routine set-up instructions call for 1/4 turn at a time, tuning to pitch, then allowing some time for the neck to settle in. Rather than jacking up the string height so high, you may just need to loosen the rod a bit more.

hmm, seems that the neck itself is badly screwed maybe. post-684361-0-67382400-1443357540_thumb.jpg

I lower the vibrato, but buzzing is back a bit.

Bad thing is I'm in France, and very difficult to find someone who wants to work on this. returning to warranty seems to be complicated too.

thanks for your helps.

I don't know whether the neck itself has issues since you have not posted any photos of it.  I find it more likely that it needs a shim to correct the set angle.  Whatever the underlying cause, you should make a warranty claim on that guitar.  Hold Line6 accountable for poor production quality.