Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Great topics and Q&A on these forums, thanks guys, but I can' t find a discussion that answers the basic questions for a beginner, like should my JTV tones be updated directly to the Variax Workbench, or through the HD500 Edit software?

Can someone send me a link to the fundamentals...Dream Rig 101?

For one, when I try to edit a tone on the custom channel on the JTV-89, and tweak the pick-up (e.g., I tried an f-hole tele with a sitar pick-up), why can't I listen to the new tone live while I'm tweaking it?  I have to send it to my guitar to hear it.  Do I have to "Send" every tweak in order to hear it?  

Also, I have the digital cable going from the Variax to the computer and a 1/4 inch going from the Variax to the HD500 in order to listen to it.  When I tried to go through the HD500, I could only use the HD500 Edit software and not the Variance Workbench software...is this correct?   I can't use the Workbench thru the HD500, it has to go straight to computer??.

I have a HD400 and a LesPaul and I am tinkering with my new "Dream" rig in frustration.  Once I get it working, I'm sure it will be spectacular, but setting it up is somewhat of a Nightmare instead.  Any help or links or good Youtube tutorials out there?.  All the Youtubes I found are demoing how cool it is, but not how to make it cool.  Thanks.  Sorry for sounding frustrated.

Ollie

I don't have much experience tweaking the Variax beyond sending custom tunings from the HD Edit software. My focus has been solely on getting tones I like through the DT and a FRFR.

Line6 has a channel on Youtube with a lot of videos. Its not comprehensive, but its a good place to start. Here are some videos related directly to Dream rig (I went to their channel and then searched for Dream Rig) 

http://www.youtube.com/user/line6movies/search?query=dream+rig

Also, go to CustomTone.com, choose HD500 and search for DT and you'll get lots of tones specifically set for the Dream Rig (perhaps without the Variax model setting.)

That should help you get 

I wish that LIne6 would work with David Willis of ProAudioDVDs to do a dream rig training video. I think he would do an excellent job and provide clear instruction to get newcomers started. I'll post it to their idea source.

When using workbench, use the 1/4 in jack into the amp. So it will look like this...VDI to computer. 1/4" to amp. Done deal.

If you want to tweak through the HD and listen through the DT then 1/4" to guitar in on the HD. I think it is best to tweak your workbench without fx. If you have a crappy tone out of your guitar setup, fx ain't gonna make any better.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have to say that setting up my Dream Rig has been fraught with frustrations. Mostly over the level discrepancies inherant in the amp models of the HD500. I have also been searching for a primer on getting the entire rig working, in my case for live performances. Still searching, but I can tell you that some problems (such as the level discrepancies) are insurmountable. I mean, take the jcm800 model: loud as hell. now compare with the HiWatt clean model: super puny. even adjusting with patch volume and mixer settings, doesn't resolve, because extreme settings in either case negatively colors the tone. So if you're using the rig for live situations, you may be faced with the prospect of being unable to use either the really loud models, or the really quiet models. Freakin bummer. Other than that pretty major drawback - am getting good tones live, but have had to be super duper vigilant about keeping the volume under control. My dt-25 is loud as f*ck, even in LVM or in full volume while keeping patch channel volume down.

I plan on compiling a primer myself and posting on my label's website. stay tuned....

• 2 weeks later...
OK - this is a shot in the dark: Is there some sort of equivalency scale between the hd500 channel volume and the mixer volume? y'know like "+- 10 on the channel volume = +-4dB on the mixer volume"

Reason I ask is this: I'm trying to make this my live rig. I have about 20 patches I need through the night. I want pretty much the same relative levels comin outta my amp as is comin out of the PA via the DT's D.I. But whenever I set levels by ear through the amp I then get wildly quiet/loud differences from the D.I. and vice versa. It's driving me crazy.

This is JTV>VDI>HD500>L6>DT25 in low volume mode using full models AND cab sim from the HD500. I monitor the DI through a channel on my studio board into my studio speakers. And the DT I monitor with the amp about 12' away and Master set to @1:30 o'clock. All my level changes are done on the HD500. 

Tech guy said the DI is  the same signal that goes to the DT's speaker, so I shouldn't be getting these differences, right?

Am I missing something? Please help, I love the individual sounds but these level discrepancies between the DT speaker and the DT DI are killing me. 

I'm only scratching the surface of my dream rig, had it for 4 days, but I've already had a band practice with it and can say I feel Jegler's pain.I have the JTV69usingVDI-500x-L2t. I'm not going into the L2t via L6 though because we are using two L2t's as our mains so I'm going out from my 500x with the 1/4in mono tip-sleeve to the lin in on the L2t. I'm intending to use mine for acoustic songs and a range of rock songs. I was just using a couple of the acoustic presets (with the variax acoustic)from the 500x and then the JaySeeEm preset, Holy Crap! I'm a little discouraged when I read Jegler's posts though, makes me think this might not work.

Here's what I know from experience. There are lots of things to be done to mitigate the level discrepancies. Mostly they involve turning down the really loud models to better match the really quiet models. This would be really the end of the story right there EXCEPT that your two main tools for that job (Amp Volume and Mixer Volume) begin to affect tone when used to extremes. I've found that plus or minus 7 on the mixer is about as far as you want to go before coloring your tone. Next, you can't go below about 30 on the Amp Volume before sucking tone. And that makes it so that even when you compare quiet models that are at +7 mixer and 100 volume are still way puny compared to loud models at -7 mixer and 30 Amp Volume. If you're using this for the studio it doesn't even matter, but for live it means that you nessecarily have to either never use the really loud models (Marshalls, F-ball, Line6), or never use the really quiet models (Vox, HiWatt). That sucks balls IMHO.

That is definitely the most frustrating thing about all components of the 'dream'.

The JTV-59 has models that are way too quiet. It takes a few hours of sessions to level them in Workbench.

Both the DT25 and HD500 have amp models that vary way too much in volume. The Hiway 100 is unusuable. This is supposed to be a 100 watt amp that the Who used? Then why is is it quieter than a Fender Twin or a Supro with a 6x9 speaker? Even with mixer maxed and the channel volume 100%, the volume can't come close to the Mesa.

There are enough amp models that I can find 4-6 favorites and get great sounds, but it would be so much better if the models were reasonably close in volume from the start.

I understand Line 6 trying model accurately. But the differences in volume between models probably causes a lot of guitarists to give up and sell or return their pods and amps out of frustration.

• Upvote 1