Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and recording

BigRalphN

Concerning using an iPad Air 2 with Apple Camera Connection Kit connected directly to HELIX - 

I would like to be able to do the following but failed in my attempts to do it:  

1 ) Use HELIX as the main audio Stereo output device ( via helix XLR stereo outputs to the monitors or headphones ) 

2) Record Helix guitar into a DAW on the iPad via the Helix USB link  ( Cubasis, GB etc ) 

3) play back and/or record other iOS music audio trough the iPad DAW - for example Cubasis synth and drum parts,

4) have the iPad DAW ( and the iPad ) send the mixed stereo DAW output back to HELIX over USB to feed the final Stereo (XLR ) outputs on the Helix and on to my monitors/phones.

In other words all the audio in and out of the iPad goes IN/OUT via USB to/from the Helix  and gets finally output to my monitors via Helix XLR outputs.

Anyone managed to achieve this with the camera connection kit ? 

I haven't.

The only thing I can think of is the global option for XLR outputs. Maybe it's set to mic? Which would be quieter than line.

It was set to MIC.  DAMN IT!  I'll try recording again via USB tonight.  In the meantime I was using my Scarlet 2i4.  Thanks Duncann!

It was set to MIC.  DAMN IT!  I'll try recording again via USB tonight.  In the meantime I was using my Scarlet 2i4.  Thanks Duncann!

Haha! You were certain you set it to line too. Damn gremlins. :lol: Worse than cockroaches.

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I'm trying to use the helix as an audio interface into both pro tools and reason.

In both daws the recorded guitar sound is crackling and unclear sounding.

I have a pair of studio monitors coming from the back of helix and the guitar sound is perfect through these.

Also if I play something that was recorded previously in each daw it play perfectly.

It's just the recorded guitar sound coming from helix thats not right.

Anyone have the same problem or solution please.

Thanks,

Alan

• Upvote 1

Can anyone explain how you physically connect to the 8 inputs on the Helix. I have seen this image from the manual that is posted elsewhere on these forums, but It only shows 2 inputs (guitar, or Aux, and Mic or Variax). TZVsulH.jpg

Can anyone explain how you physically connect to the 8 inputs on the Helix. I have seen this image from the manual that is posted elsewhere on these forums, but It only shows 2 inputs (guitar, or Aux, and Mic or Variax). TZVsulH.jpg

There are 7 analog inputs on the Helix (guitar, aux in, mic and 4 effects returns) and 2 digital inputs (Variax and SPDIF).

There are 7 analog inputs on the Helix (guitar, aux in, mic and 4 effects returns) and 2 digital inputs (Variax and SPDIF).

Oh yeah, here we have an Uber Guru, a supposed "Line 6 Expert" who quite glibly answers a question that was not asked!

Seems quite obvious to me that the OP asked "Can anyone explain how you physically connect to the 8 inputs on the Helix."

Which bit of that did not make sense?

I don't see how you have explained how the internal USB paths function - Helix to DAW.

You merely state what sockets are on the back of the box, that's a bit like go away and RTFM, which the poster did not find useful in the first place - even with the nice colorful diagram, which BTW is like a mad woman's knitting.

It would have been more helpful to explain how the guy should hook up his Helix via USB for recording and re-amping - which is what I think he is seeking from this thread.

I'd be really interested to find out how it all works because my USB link FAILED big style 2 months ago - none of you experts have been able to explain that one either!

Guru? Yeah, right!

• Downvote 4

Oh yeah, here we have an Uber Guru, a supposed "Line 6 Expert" who quite glibly answers a question that was not asked!

Seems quite obvious to me that the OP asked "Can anyone explain how you physically connect to the 8 inputs on the Helix."

I don't see how you have explained how the internal USB paths function - Helix to DAW.

You merely state what sockets are on the back of the box, that's a bit like go away and RTFM, which the poster did not find useful in the first place - even with the nice colorful diagram, which BTW is like a mad woman's knitting.

It would have been more helpful to explain how the guy should hook up his Helix via USB for recording and re-amping - which is what I think he is seeking from this thread.

I'd be really interested to find out how it all works because my USB link FAILED big style 2 months ago - none of you experts have been able to explain that one either!

Guru? Yeah, right!

Actually, I think I was answering the question he asked, since he specifically asked how you physically connected 8 inputs to the Helix, given that the portion he copied from the manual only shows two inputs. It's a fair question. I was just pointing out that there's actually a total of 9 physical inputs, counting analog and digital inputs. He didn't specifically (or even mention at all) the USB recording issue. And I was just responding to this specific question, not commenting on the entire thread. Actually, when someone signs up for the forums and writes their first post, that post is hung up in a moderation queue, and approving these posts is basically the one moderation function Expert Users serve on these forums. So often times when I approve a post, I don't even really see what thread the post is being posted in. I just see that post. This seemed like a rather straightforward question, and I think I answered right before I about to get up from desk to do something else yesterday.

As far the USB ins and out functionality, it is actually relatively straightforward, at least with the Windows driver in Reaper. The Helix shows up an ASIO device with 8 inputs and 8 outputs, and configuring them really depends on what you want to do both in the Helix and the DAW. I would think that for most people using any of the USB outs beside the 1/2 pair would be relatively rare, but it does give you the ability to use the Helix as an outboard effects processor for tracks in your DAW. The other thing is that right now, the USB 1/2 in is the only one that offers hardware monitoring through the Helix with the "Multi" setting on an output block. If you select 3/4 or 5/6, you either have to monitor through your DAW or put a split in your tone path and branch off to another physical output.

As far as your specific troubles with USB, I really can't comment. I know that Digital Igloo has said that certain Macs (from 2012, I believe) seem to have an issue with the USB controller that is causing trouble. Have you opened a support ticket?

Actually, I think I was answering the question he asked, since he specifically asked how you physically connected 8 inputs to the Helix, given that the portion he copied from the manual only shows two inputs. It's a fair question. I was just pointing out that there's actually a total of 9 physical inputs, counting analog and digital inputs. He didn't specifically (or even mention at all) the USB recording issue. And I was just responding to this specific question, not commenting on the entire thread. Actually, when someone signs up for the forums and writes their first post, that post is hung up in a moderation queue, and approving these posts is basically the one moderation function Expert Users serve on these forums. So often times when I approve a post, I don't even really see what thread the post is being posted in. I just see that post. This seemed like a rather straightforward question, and I think I answered right before I about to get up from desk to do something else yesterday.

As far the USB ins and out functionality, it is actually relatively straightforward, at least with the Windows driver in Reaper. The Helix shows up an ASIO device with 8 inputs and 8 outputs, and configuring them really depends on what you want to do both in the Helix and the DAW. I would think that for most people using any of the USB outs beside the 1/2 pair would be relatively rare, but it does give you the ability to use the Helix as an outboard effects processor for tracks in your DAW. The other thing is that right now, the USB 1/2 in is the only one that offers hardware monitoring through the Helix with the "Multi" setting on an output block. If you select 3/4 or 5/6, you either have to monitor through your DAW or put a split in your tone path and branch off to another physical output.

As far as your specific troubles with USB, I really can't comment. I know that Digital Igloo has said that certain Macs (from 2012, I believe) seem to have an issue with the USB controller that is causing trouble. Have you opened a support ticket?

Oh. mea culpa. Seems we have two interpretations of the same question.

Quote: "He didn't specifically (or even mention at all) the USB recording issue". And I was just responding to this specific question, not commenting on the entire thread.

As the original post was to this thread, entitled "Helix-and recording" and along with the associated illustration, I foolishly took that to be relevant to the USB connections to a computer system running a DAW. I'm obviously an idiot, and you were under pressure.

Quote: "I would think that for most people using any of the USB outs beside the 1/2 pair would be relatively rare, but it does give you the ability to use the Helix as an outboard effects processor for tracks in your DAW."

Oh really, come now, Phil. Do you seriously believe that anyone armed with a Helix and a digital multi-track recorder would only be interested in capturing the fully processed audio. Surely not! This thing is being marketed as "the nerve centre for your entire guitar rig" plus "Helix also functions as a high quality, multi-in/out, 24-bit/96kHz audio interface for Mac and Windows computers, with DI, Re-amping and MIDI functionality built right in". It's designed for stage and studio use and I would guess that might even get a drummer to experiment with USB.

As for the USB in and out functionality, that you mention above, I would have thought that info may well have been better aimed at the guy who raised the original question. I am more than familiar with it's operation, having spent several weeks trying to sort out my own Helix/USB issues. BTW & FYI: yes, I have still got an open ticket with support in Europe. I was informed that the QA team in the USA have been able to replicate the problems and a solution is in the pipeline. Digital Igloo thought that it may have been "patched" in the latest FW (1.12) update but sadly not for me. I will possibly have fixed it all myself by the time anything else happens.

Why, oh, why did it just stop working? Plus, still no answer to my question as to why my Mac now "sees" Helix as 4 pairs of audio streams rather than the 8 separate channels that I had previously?

Wow.  It's none of my business but I think you're being unnecessarily rude.

Phil is a tremendous resource for this board and, since he doesn't work for Line 6, he owes you no answers. 

And, if I recall, Digital Igloo said that that last firmware update was SOLELY to integrate the improvements to the editor.    

Why, oh, why did it just stop working? Plus, still no answer to my question as to why my Mac now "sees" Helix as 4 pairs of audio streams rather than the 8 separate channels that I had previously?

I don't know why it just stopped working, but you have an open support ticket and apparently your issue is being worked on. As for getting an answer to your other question, you may or may not get it here. This is a user support forum. Occasionally a Line 6 employee like Digital Igloo visits here, and that's a good bonus. Otherwise we're all volunteer users here, including Phil. It's nobody's job here to answer your questions. We all choose how we spend our volunteer time here. Personally, based on the way you treated Phil's response (to someone else I note), I will choose to spend my time answering someone else's questions.

I hope your issues get resolved. Meantime, don't take your frustrations out on others here. We have no obligation to you.

• Upvote 1

Although I don't approve of the aggressive attitude of the posts from datacommando towards phil_m, I am interested in how the physical connection to the Helix would work to use the Helix a strictly an audio interface for recording to my DAW. I'd like to know if you can use all 8 inputs simultaneously to record. This would make the value of this device go up in my (and others) books. The confusion comes when trying to figure out how you would go about to physically connect 8 sources to be recorded via the USB audio interface. I think I read that the "Guitar In" and "Aux In" don't work simultaneously in a preset, so I assume that they also don't work as simultaneous inputs through USB to a DAW. So my question is, what are the 8 physical inputs you would use to record 8 sources simultaneously?

So, for example, looking at the image below:

Would you plug:

guitar 1 into the "Guitar In"

Vocals into the "Mic In"

bass into "return 1"

acoustic into "return 2"

guitar 2 into "return 3"

drum machine into "return 4"

keys into "SDIF in"

something else into "Variax"

Or are those not the right jacks to use

LINE-1006_Module_v03_je-%2800545%29_r174

I don't have my Helix with me at the moment, but you might get some insight from one or more of the presets in the TEMPLATES setlist in the Helix factory presets. I think by analyzing the input and output blocks there might be some hints about the options and requirements re: physical setup and connections.

There will be constraints in the number of inputs if you want stereo outputs. For instance, if you want to record stereo from your drum machine you will need to use a stereo pair of inputs (e.g. Return 3/4) and assign its outputs to a stereo pair of USB channels (e.g. USB 3/4). Then in your DAW you would select channels 3/4 as the record inputs to a stereo track.

(Note that the only 'something else' you could successfully connect to the Variax input is a Variax guitar.)

Although I don't approve of the aggressive attitude of the posts from datacommando towards phil_m, I am interested in how the physical connection to the Helix would work to use the Helix a strictly an audio interface for recording to my DAW. I'd like to know if you can use all 8 inputs simultaneously to record. This would make the value of this device go up in my (and others) books. The confusion comes when trying to figure out how you would go about to physically connect 8 sources to be recorded via the USB audio interface. I think I read that the "Guitar In" and "Aux In" don't work simultaneously in a preset, so I assume that they also don't work as simultaneous inputs through USB to a DAW. So my question is, what are the 8 physical inputs you would use to record 8 sources simultaneously?

So, for example, looking at the image below:

Would you plug:

guitar 1 into the "Guitar In"

Vocals into the "Mic In"

bass into "return 1"

acoustic into "return 2"

guitar 2 into "return 3"

drum machine into "return 4"

keys into "SDIF in"

something else into "Variax"

Or are those not the right jacks to use

LINE-1006_Module_v03_je-%2800545%29_r174

Yes, you can use and record through all 8 USB inputs simultaneously. The one caveat is USB7 and USB8 will always be dry tracks from what input you have them set to. You can set these to any of the inputs, but whatever you have going through isn't going to actually be processed through one of the Helix's internal tone paths. So something like a drum machine might be a good candidate for that (one thing I noticed in your list is that you have a drum machine listed as mono source. You would usually want to record a drum machine in stereo, so that would actually require two inputs).

The other thing is what I mentioned above. Only the USB in 1/2 offers hardware monitoring through the Helix. So you either need to find another way to monitor these sources or monitor through your DAW. Monitoring through the DAW will introduce some latency - exactly how much depends on many different factors.

I guess how I'd put is that, yes, the Helix can serve as an 8-in, 8-out USB interface, but it isn't really meant to give you 8 channels of audio processed through the Helix's audio paths into your DAW. You could have three stereo paths, all corresponding to different tone paths in the Helix and record those via USB, though. You would just have to be a little clever as to how you monitor those. USB 1/2 in is monitored automatically through the XLR outs. The other USB ins are not.

• Upvote 1

Although I don't approve of the aggressive attitude of the posts from datacommando towards phil_m, I am interested in how the physical connection to the Helix would work to use the Helix a strictly an audio interface for recording to my DAW.

@ndutyme,

See what happens when you take your time and ask a perfectly reasonable and sensible question - you will get a perfectly reasonable and sensible answer from these kind gentlemen on this here Helix forum. Excellent work from the guardian angels!

Although, I do still feel that your original question could have been given the same measured and considered response.

Me, for my part - I state once again: "Oh. mea culpa. Seems we have two interpretations of the same question."

If that is being unreasonable then, so be it – I think I will remain a belligerent, offensive, aggressive snarling dog.

Must be the Doberman bloodline in me! :rolleyes:

Jeeziz -some peeple!

Flame off!

Me, for my part - I state once again: "Oh. mea culpa. Seems we have two interpretations of the same question."

If that is being unreasonable then, so be it ...

No, that's not the part that was unreasonable, and that triggered our responses to you. It was this part.......

Guru? Yeah, right!

Your memory (or at least the part of your posts you choose to quote) seems a little overly generous to yourself. You may have forgotten about that part. I, for one, haven't. Perhaps I will if I see a sincere and public apology to phil_m.

No, that's not the part that was unreasonable, and that triggered our responses to you. It was this part.......

Your memory (or at least the part of your posts you choose to quote) seems a little overly generous to yourself. You may have forgotten about that part. I, for one, haven't. Perhaps I will if I see a sincere and public apology to phil_m.

silverhead,

You are like my dog with a car tyre - you just don't know when to let it go!

This is like trying to explain to some one who was born blind - what colour red is!

You know what they say about opinions - they are like belly buttons - everyone has one! And everyone else's stinks apart from your own (the other version of that brings up lollypops if you know what I mean?)

Well, it was just my personal opinion that the original answer was glib - surely, I'm entitled to that. You don't like it - fine, it doesn't bother me one iota. It's a comment!

Seems that you also think it was wrong when I then queried if "phil_m" had comprehended the original posters apparent issues, as illustrated by a diagram of USB, featuring the 8 channels hooked up to a DAW. It seemed to me that's what was being asked. Judging from the guys secondary post, above - that's mainly what what he was chasing, AND that is what "phil_m" has subsequently explained in great detail. Excellent! More like a Guru!

I am entitled to my opinion, and to comment as I feel, and I think it may be time for you to release your grip on that tyre - now.

Bulletin Board Sysops - same the world over.

Yeah; I have just scratched the surface on using Helix as a soundcard, and it's been awesome!! I did hit one snag, that was actually a Pro Tools issue, not a Helix issue - I had to go to the I/O in ProTools and tell it to use default - it was only showing two tracks and not 8. Once I did that, it's been great!

I always leave the dry inputs to their default: USB 7 dry guitar, USB 8 dry mic.

I use a G70 wireless, and I have two of them; one receiver on my pedalboard, the other on my Helix board. A cool side note - a single G70 transmitter is received by both receivers flawlessly, which lets me run dual rigs for this kind of recording project. I tried using a single receiver, and running an extra 1/4" out from it; works, but this way is actually easier! One less cable :)

My pedalboard goes to a DT25 in 4-cable method. The XLR out from the DT25 goes to the mic input on the Helix. It doesn't get processed - it does NOT need to be used in the patch for it to route to the USB 8 output! You set the mic gain in the Helix global menu; I had to crank it up a good bit, since the XLR from the DT25 is mic level.

Anyway, I send the other G70 receiver to Helix, which captures the dry guitar on USB 7. Then I record Helix patch to USB 1/2, and send Superior Drummer tracks to bus 3/4 and record that on it's own stereo channel. I crank up the drums and Helix through a combination of studio monitors (M-Audio BX5), a Firehawk1500, and a pair of L3m, and jam out! When all three are going, it's 1/4" to the M-Audio's, Line6Link to the L3m's, and XLR to the Firehawk1500.

I have also been messing with using Helix + DT25 with L6link, but not all the way there yet.

The other thing is what I mentioned above. Only the USB in 1/2 offers hardware monitoring through the Helix. So you either need to find another way to monitor these sources or monitor through your DAW. Monitoring through the DAW will introduce some latency - exactly how much depends on many different factors.

Just to put this out there - thanks for everything you do for us Phil M! :)

That being said; quick side-tangent-question; you mentioned latency, I think I have mine set up properly, just wanted to verify.

I arm the 1/2 channel in ProTools for Helix, and mute it - I monitor with Helix, and the only thing I don't mute is the software plugin track for Superior Drummer.

It seems when I listen back everything is synched up; I haven't gone back to do much over-dubbing though.

I am guessing same process would follow; monitor playback tracks and live tracks with Helix. The reason I say 'mute' them in ProTools is when the software audio is coming through it's got that obvious latency going on; somewhere between a stutter and slapback almost. Really a weird effect actually!

I don't use any plugins when I am recording; I figure I might also want to decrease the buffer size for recording, increase it for mixing/using plugins?

I realize this is all more ProTools / DAW / recording related, so just hit me with whatever you think and I will make it work

thanks!

Helix works great with GarageBand, with one caveat—GB doesn't support multiple outputs, so there's no way to reamp. If you don't care about reamping, you're golden.

I'm looking at getting PreSonus Studio One 3.2. Ed Nystrom (a guitar player) at Sweetwater said that Helix works really well going into a DAW. I'll have to see if this particular software supports multiple outs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have stared at this diagram for literally 20 minutes ...

and for the life of me I do not understand the orange arrows .

they have  Computer inputs inputs going to Helix inputs  

and Computer outputs routed to Helix outputs 

doesn't make sense to me ... The red arrow paths make perfect sense ..

The orange ones to me seem back-asswords 

what am I missing here ?

post-146831-0-87024100-1464992862_thumb.jpg

I have stared at this diagram for literally 20 minutes ...

and for the life of me I do not understand the orange arrows .

they have  Computer inputs inputs going to Helix inputs  

and Computer outputs routed to Helix outputs 

doesn't make sense to me ... The red arrow paths make perfect sense ..

The orange ones to me seem back-asswords 

what am I missing here ?

attachicon.gifHelix USB routing.jpg

The orange output paths are representing the USB outs for re-amping purposes. USB inputs 7 and 8 will always be dry tracks, so if you record those in your DAW, you can play them back through your DAW and have them sent to any of the USB output pairs back into the Helix. The orange input, USB 1/2 out, is going to be the main stereo out from your computer. I think it a little confusing because when you talk about re-amping, the ins and outs for your DAW and Helix are swapped. The output of the Helix is actually an input for the computer, and the output from the computer is actually an audio input back into the Helix.

The orange output paths are representing the USB outs for re-amping purposes. USB inputs 7 and 8 will always be dry tracks, so if you record those in your DAW, you can play them back through your DAW and have them sent to any of the USB output pairs back into the Helix. The orange input, USB 1/2 out, is going to be the main stereo out from your computer. I think it a little confusing because when you talk about re-amping, the ins and outs for your DAW and Helix are swapped. The output of the Helix is actually an input for the computer, and the output from the computer is actually an audio input back into the Helix.

thanks Phil ...

your explanation makes perfect sense ...

but for some reason just looking at it ... it wasn't sinking in .

cheers -n- beers

• 2 weeks later...

Helix recording to my PC via USB seems to be a very low volume.  Anyone else noticed this?

I realize this is an old post but I have just now run into this same problem .

the processed USB signals going into my DAW (Logic Pro X) are fine ...

but the dry signals coming in on USB 7/8 are almost inaudible .

are there separate volume adjustments for the USB outputs ?

it seems that no matter what Line 6 product I buy ...

they all come with volume issues ...

line 6 does not seem to have a standard volume anywhere about anything.

every patch or preset or routing option on any line 6 unit is random pot luck where volume is concerned.

I realize this is an old post but I have just now run into this same problem .

the processed USB signals going into my DAW (Logic Pro X) are fine ...

but the dry signals coming in on USB 7/8 are almost inaudible .

are there separate volume adjustments for the USB outputs ?

it seems that no matter what Line 6 product I buy ...

they all come with volume issues ...

line 6 does not seem to have a standard volume anywhere about anything.

every patch or preset or routing option on any line 6 unit is random pot luck where volume is concerned.

USB 7/8 are instrument or mic level depending what you're sending to them, so, yeah, they will be very quiet. The idea is that they are the same level as the source your plugging into the Helix. If you re-amp with them through the Helix, the levels recorded in the dry track will be fine.

With interfaces that have a gain control, we're often tempted to run them hot. This isn't a good idea because any resulting digital clipping anywhere in the computer signal chain will be very bad. The fact that the Helix direct outs are fixed at unity gain is a good thing as it ensures no clipping and you can do anything you need in a DAW these days.

USB 7/8 are instrument or mic level depending what you're sending to them, so, yeah, they will be very quiet. The idea is that they are the same level as the source your plugging into the Helix. If you re-amp with them through the Helix, the levels recorded in the dry track will be fine.

I don't intend to re-amp ... Pod Farm  2.5 sounds every bit as good as anything Helix can do ...

especially combined with all the toys found in Logic Pro X .

and much easier to manipulate inside the DAW.

and of course my computer has way more processing power than the tiny amount of DSP inside Helix.

but thank you for the explanation ... at least now I understand what's going on , and why.

With interfaces that have a gain control, we're often tempted to run them hot. This isn't a good idea because any resulting digital clipping anywhere in the computer signal chain will be very bad. The fact that the Helix direct outs are fixed at unity gain is a good thing as it ensures no clipping and you can do anything you need in a DAW these days.

and you make all the sense in the world -

except for the fact that the USB 7/8 outputs are no where's near unity gain ...

with my guitar and Helix both cranked to the max ,

I am only registering -37 into my DAW (LPX) ... I can see a little blip on the meter , but you can't hear anything.

SPL doubles or halves with every +6db or -6dB ,

so therefore USB outputs 7/8  are  attenuated to only one-sixth of unity gain.

which is no where's near clipping .... 

and realistically , digital clipping in a 32 bit floating point DAW is not a problem.

uber guru has explained that it was designed specifically for re-amping ...

but still .. I shouldn't have to add 20db with a gain plug-in just to make it loud enough to record.

I totally understand where you're coming from ... we don't want a signal that's too hot ,

but -37db is ridiculous ... even for re-amping .

all that aside ... this thing is awesome for playing live.

and thank you very much for responding.

• 2 weeks later...

May someone help me?  I would like to route my Macbook (2015) USB out to Helix USB In, and have it route to a mixing board, but not go through the Effects Path, and not through my Guitar Amps.  Is that possible?  

For example, I would like to have Ableton playing on my computer, going into Helix via USB, and then out to the Mixing Board via one of Helix's outputs, while still routing my guitar into Helix Guitar In, through the Effects Path to 1/4 Output Left to 1st Amp and 1/4 Output Right to 2nd Amp.  I don't want Ableton coming through my amps, but still coming through to the Mixing Board.  Does that make sense?

Guitar > Helix > Amp 1 & Amp 2

Macbook > Helix > Mixing Board  

Is it possible to do this while still using both DSP Paths for guitar?  Or do I need to use one of those DSP paths for USB / Macbook, even though I won't use any effects?  I thought about doing it this way, but I don't have enough DSP to fit all my effect on one path.  If anybody has any insight on how to do this, I would be super grateful.  Thanks!

Hi Ndutyme

Thanks for posting this diagram and ask the questions. I must admit I do not have a clue what this all means actually. The diagram shows outputs from pc going to outputs on Helix. And inputs on pc going to inputs on Helix. Now maybe it is just nomeclature since if I understand a little bit about a Bus (Universal Serial Bus) then am I correct in saying that actually such a bus is bidirectional and that input side is also output side and thus the "ins" and "outs" and the little arrows attached are only mentioned to confuse me more as I am probably already the most stupid guy on this forum.

But my system at this moment works beautifull and I am very happy with the sound coming out of the LT3 speakers when playing Shadows as lead guitarist trying to emulate the great Hank Marvin and have my backing track feeding via Helix from my pc to the same Stagesource L3T's. Just stunning.

Now I would like to record that sound I am hearing on the LT3's onto my PC while I am playing. I mean this combined sound of me and the backing track is going out via the Line 6 connection to the 1st speaker and then loop to the 2nd L3t.  I arm the Ableton Lite 9 software on the pc and then record and then……..I only get the guitar alone recorded not the backing track.

So without copying the backing track into Ableton I would think I could just record the mix sent out to the L3t's back to the Ableton one time avoiding any latency whatsoever (even if there would be slight timelag between what I am playing and hearing and what is being recorded on the hard drive a few milliseconds later)

So where on which bus is the output Line 6 connection to L3t's connected so I can set Ableton to just record that one stereo channel for me at once ……. mix done on Helix and adjusted to my ears regarding volume end of story? I mean for that I would need just a very simple one stereo channel recording software actually?

I think my problem starts that I actually can hear my backing track (playing straight from MP3) via Helix onto L3t's but I honestly do not have clue how (which Bus) does it get there. It is just present and I adjust the volume on the PC output little speaker icon which indicates "line 6 helix" as the helix is now the sound card. On which bus is the backing track and why can I not record that Line 6 Link ouput which I am hearing which is the output to L3t via Line 6 link?

I posted a separate entry on this but might s well ask this here too:

I'd like to know how to Record both iTunes & Helix USB Gtr into Ableton using Helix for Stereo too on OSX. In the process of discovering and playing about with Helix patches so that if inspiration strikes it all gets recorded. I'd rather not instead have to drag any backing track into Ableton as that takes time - commits one - and kills inspiration. Also i could possibly be using Band In A Box instead of iTunes.

I'd like to be using the HELIX USB interface as both the stereo master outs from my Ableton, while having my Helix guitar on USB 1/2 on one track and backing tracks etc coming in from iTunes into a second stereo input.

Now to divert iTunes or other audio apps one can use SoundFlower - setting the main OSX output option to point to Soundflower instead of the stereo outputs. One then specifies in Ableton that the ableton stereo outputs go NOT to the main mac outputs ( i.e. headphone set ) but instead to HELIX USB.

Now of course this requires Soundflower to be the audio input in Ableton but I ALSO want to feed in the Helix stereo outputs with my guitar noodling on it. So....... for this one is supposed to use the Aggregate Audio Interface option in OSX to combine ( presumably ) the Helix interface AND Soundflower ( to route iTunes/BIAB etc into Ableton instead of to the main mac outputs ). But....... I cannot seem to get this method to work !!!

Has anyone managed to successfully solve this problem ? Ie be able to record both the Helix output ( over USB ) AND a separate track receiving iTunes music ( or output from - say band in a box )

Cheers and have a nice Helix Day !

Guess this is exactly what I am trying to do but on Windows 10. Any success on your side?

I agree its very low. Line6 says its unity gain, but that doesn't seem right to me either.

This volume aspect over USB is of concern to me. I love the Pod HD as recording over USB is easy in terms of getting a nice signal into the DAW. I want to buy the Helix but want to record over USB as i do my Pod HD. I don't want to go out of Helix to my Audio Interface as that defeats the purpose of having USB off the Helix.

What's the latest on this USB audio volume off the Helix? any thoughts , experiences.

I use a Mac and Logic Pro X mainly as my DAW.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dennis that looks like amazing software. But I am not really familiar with Mac though I do have also a Macbook Pro.

I still think it should be possible to get the option of connecting two USB channels back to DAW from inside the Helix which carries the total mixed (FX+backing track) output to the power amp (in my case L3t via Line 6 link) for direct recording. That means what I hear is what I record which includes my backing track arriving somehow via USB to the Helix through to the final output to my L3t's.

For example the option in global settings of of USB 7 and 8: Why can I not select there also AES/EBU to be sent to DAW if I do not want to have the dry signal on these channels. That way I can record that exact total mixed output (a duplicate of what is going to my speakers) and do not even have to worry about latency because the mixed recording is happening at exactly the same clock speed from the Helix while what I hear (as my monitor then) is my music from my L3t's while the recording is happening in the background on DAW.

Think I will post this on idea scale to find out if this would be possible.

You'll need some type of accessory to bring audio into your iOS device. If you want to take the Helix's USB output, you'd need to buy Apple's Camera Connection Kit. That'll give you a USB interface for the iOS device. With that, you should be able to play into your Helix and record on the iOS device on Garageband just fine.

If you don't specifically want to use USB to bring audio into the device, there are plenty of other input accessories such as the IK Multimedia iRig that would work with an analog Helix output instead.

Shawnmx,

Newbie here. I've used an HD500 and GB with just the USB connection (no camera kit) without any apparent issues,, and would assume the same for the Helix (expected to get new Helix today). Can. This still be done with the Helix? What advantages does the camera kit provide?

Apologies for the thread jack;

Is there a thread that discusses best practices for vlogging?

That is, I currently record audio and vedio simultaneously ( audio through GB and video through built in camera; however, quality is not that great.

I'm now looking at using either a hero camera and/or my Canon Powershot digital camera for video then upload video and audio separately into iMovie or the like.

Thoughts?

Newbie here,

Still reading through this thread, but was hoping for a quick answer and perhaps some insight.

Transitioning from the HD500 to the Helix (Awesome, by the way); Here is my current configuration:

• Guitar Into Helix
  • iMac (2012) - OS X with latest updates
  • Logitech PC speakers (good for gaming, suck as monitors...lol).  However, headphones are connected to the Logitech speakers
  • Helix connected to Mac via supplied USB cable connected directly to the Mac (no camera kit)
  • Garageband
    • Audio-In: Helix
    • Audio-Out: Built-In Output

Three questions:

1. Why would, after playing with tone banks and presets for several minutes, Garageband begin to lag guitar playing?
  2. Can anyone confirm whether the Camera Kit would resolve this issue? 
  3. Within Garageband, should Audio-Out run through System Settings, Built-In Output, or Helix?

Update:

I seem to be getting much better results with ‘Helix’ both for Audio-In and Audio-Out.  The only difference is I plug my headphones into the Helix as opposed to PC speakers.