Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware 1.20

Skitterhawk

I just tried to update my firehawk to 1.20.00 via my PC.......it said "error while installing firmware update"....."Firmware update failed"........Now A B C D lights are flashing and Firehawk won't work?

I had the same problem. I reloaded the latest updater and switched to a different USB port. It took a few tries but it finally made it through the download.

I tried at least x20......tried reinstalling updater..... tried downloading firmware update to computer and then updating the firmware file to the firehawk...tried a few variations....had the best luck trying to update from firmware file on my PC.....progress would go to about 90% and stop......whenever I tried from the server it would almost stop immediately......I haven't tried a different USB port yet.....when I 1st got firehawk in July there was a immediate firmware update ...it worked via Bluetooth and I had no issues.....for some reason the update never popped up for me to do it that way.....and I tried doing it via PC.

We have compared and measured the factory patches and we could not find a difference at all. This is as expected since these are the same DSP algorithms. If you are hearing some difference in a certain patch- could you send us that patch? Just make sure we are not missing something since we did not measure every effect in all settings.

I think I found the issue. It appears to stem from the 4 Band SemiParameetric EQ.

I created a patch that I have been tweaking and didn't notice any issues with the firmware update until I made a slight tweak to the:

Hi Mid Freq of 2.2 kHz with a gain of 7.1dB in the EQ of my patch. (I increased the gain from 3dB or something)

After making this change, I noticed extensive popping. I made a sound cloud recording which you can clearly hear the popping.

https://soundcloud.com/hmpoweredman/master-of-popping

Please excuse my poor playing.

I should also mention that the popping goes away when the EQ is turned off.

Here is the tone http://line6.com/t/MvPyVT32rE

I hope this helps. It appears there may actually be a problem.

Sorry, I'm not hearing the popping.

Youv'e come a long way in 7 months mate B)

Thanks! I figured at 25 it was better late than never to pick up the guitar. Hard to believe it's already been 7 months.

If I crank up the volume pedal, it exascerbates the popping. I'll see If I can get a second recording tonight.

I think I forgot to mention this is coming from the mono 1/4" output. Perhaps it's my recording setup though. I'd feel silly if that was the case. I don't think the popping is as apparent when recording from the Firehawk ASIO audio device.

I used my Pod HD500X in place of the Firehawk this weekend with these comments.

HD500X is tonally  more brittle right off the bat. I was planning on using my Strat (single coils) too high-endy and only had 45 mins to rehearse with guest leader so without IOS editing, I was compelled to live with it. Used my Telecaster La Cabronita, with Fideli-Tron pickups, much warmer. I did use the global eq to pad the high end a little at home, not enough for the gig. Need more practice(understanding) with that. Really, really missed the Firehawk IOS editing

So this AM I removed the 500X and restored the Firehawk to service. First off basic tone sounded like junk, messed with amp tones and stomp tones..no fix. Moved mod block from behind amp to in front of amp and problem solved. This lead me to moving my FX loop and re-setting the I/O levels of the loop as well. Send -9.7, return +9.8 and mix at about 48%.This gave the FX loop a unity with the rig. After I did this, I decided to perform the same task to ALL of my custom tones, and saved each to "My Tones" Seems like upgrade didn't jibe with my signal chain.

Early evaluation is very positive with the1.20 upgrade, no lag or artifacts so far.

Looking forward to getting this weeks charts and MP3s

More to follow, I'm sure.

I was able to finally upgrade firmware by

Bringing the Firehawk to a friend's house and use his computer..it did take a few attempts and switched usb ports but it finally worked..😀....not sure what the issue was with my computer...I did just upgrade to Windows 10

• Upvote 1

Here is a pic of my setup just for fun. Firehawk>>Fulltone 2 as a boost and Line 6 M-5 in FX loop. Relay G-70, Korg tuner and even a AA Battery charger for Relay body pack. This rig weighs a ton, but is the easiest and fastest set up that I have ever owned. Power cable plugged in, XLR to board, I am good to go!

post-447935-0-43857500-1444084665_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is a pic of my setup just for fun. Firehawk>>Fulltone 2 as a boost and Line 6 M-5 in FX loop. Relay G-70, Korg tuner and even a AA Battery charger for Relay body pack. This rig weighs a ton, but is the easiest and fastest set up that I have ever owned. Power cable plugged in, XLR to board, I am good to go!

Wow I honestly didn't know setups could be that awesome.

Upon further testing,  I now understand the Firehawk FX Firmware 1.10  vs 1.20 sounds identical  - sorry for earlier confusion.

Are you still experiencing the 'lights of death' based only on v1.2 factory presets? If so can you provide a recipe to reproduce the symptom?

Are you still experiencing the 'lights of death' based only on v1.2 factory presets

Yes

? If so can you provide a recipe to reproduce the symptom?

I wish! it just happens randomly when changing presets up and down "too fast" when NOT connected to the Bluetooth link

• Downvote 1

I have spent the past while trying my best to crash my Firehawk and produce the lights of death as reported here ans elsewhere. No success; can't crash it despite my best efforts. Of course, unless we can find a specific sequence of steps that will reliably create the problem it will be hard for Line 6 to fix whatever it is that's causing this.

Here are the steps I took:

- used Line 6 Updater on PC (not Bluetooth/remote app) to reinstall firmware v1.2. Installation was successful. Note that this did not replace the presets so there are still a handful of custom presets in banks 30-32 that I installed after my initial update to v1.2. However, all factory presets in banks 1-29 remain untouched, as initially installed.

- performed a factory reset and pedal calibration

- ensured that Bluetooth was not connected, and that the USB cable was disconnected.

I then randomly bashed on the Bank Up/Down and the A-D footswitches as quickly as I could several times for more than 1 straight minute each time. I must have changed presets more than 200 times with an average of less than a quarter-second delay between switches (pausing to rest for a second or two periodically). I went randomly with no systematic approach, skipping to different banks in no specific order. I think I covered pretty much all banks at one time or another during this process, and even made sure I pressed adjacent A-D switches as simultaneously as possible (although the device knew which one was pressed last!). I also sometimes pressed both Bank switches simultaneously, engaging the Editor. Even within the Editor, rapid A-D switch presses were not troublesome.

My conclusion: This issue is probably not firmware related. It could be hardware or even household power supply.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update. The lag time while changing presets was extremely irritating and I was considering returning the unit, but decided to go with the latest firmware, which improved things a lot - though I don't find it switching fast enough with the latest firmware either.

I come from a Boss GT-8,10 and 100 background, and the switching delay on those units are barely noticable even when you're trying to notice the patch change, however with the Firehawk it's notably there even after the latest update.

I still wish that you'd be able to make it even faster. As it is now, certain songs are hard to play live as I'm changing patches while the guitar is is still ringing, and this makes an audible "dip" in midst of the song.

The song was created with my Boss GT-8 (way back in 2006) and the patches use basically the same effects, the only difference between the patches is that the other has increased volume, delay active, and a flanger active.

My conclusion: This issue is probably not firmware related. It could be hardware or even household power supply.

Which is a problem, if that is the case.  Playing with the unit live, who knows what power you will be using at a live venue- I guess you can get a power regulator.

Well, that is always a possibility for any electronic device - not just the Firehawk or Line 6 devices. There have been problem reports in these forums about devices crashing at different venues, where these problems have been traced to the local power supply. A power regulator/conditioner can't hurt.

Perhaps users experiencing these intermittent crashes can look for opportunities to use their Firehawk in different places - even on different circuits within the house - and see if the problems transfer with the device or are only evident in one place.

I just updated to 1.20 and went to check switching between patches and now my ambient effects (Reverbs and Delays) no longer carry over from one patch to another.  Is that purposeful?  I still have lag between my patch switch, but now I don't even get my reverbs and delays to carry across like they used to.  This makes it very hard to switch between patches (like a rhythm and a lead patch) in a song without being obvious.  Before in 1.10 the Reverb and Delay carry over helped to mask the switch.  Is anyone else having this problem?  On another note though, the user interface for my iPad in the app update seems way better than before!

The FX never did carry over from one patch to another. If it seemed like they did it was only because of the lag in switching patches; the FX in the 'previous' patch continued to be heard until the switch to the new patch occurred.. With the lag gone (or at least greatly reduced), so are the apparent FX trails.

Do the problems occur with 240v adaptors as well as 110v?

I haven't experienced any issues with 240v using the stock or a 3rd party adaptor.

I had a freeze running on 240v back on the last firmware, no problems since then though (touch wood)

I know exactly which patches I was using and have tried several times to recreate the freeze so that I could provide some info and delete any possibly corrupt tones but so far the damn thing just keeps on working

The FX never did carry over from one patch to another. If it seemed like they did it was only because of the lag in switching patches; the FX in the 'previous' patch continued to be heard until the switch to the new patch occurred.. With the lag gone (or at least greatly reduced), so are the apparent FX trails.

Maybe we're talking about two different things, because I just restored to version 1.10 and tested it and my delay and my reverb definitely hold over into a new patch.  Even when I continue playing in the new patch I can still hear the reverb and delay continuing on underneath my playing in the new patch, which is great because it helps hide the transition from patch A to patch B.  For example I cranked up the feedback on a 1/4 note delay so it would hang out for a while, I hit a chord on patch A and immediately switched to patch B with a dry sound (no delay no reverb) and I can still hear the continuing 1/4 note delay plus reverb keep kicking back even while I'm playing notes over top of it in patch B. But with the 1.20 firmware this no longer happens and it makes my transitions from patch A to patch B way more noticeable because the delay and reverb are immediately cut off the moment I switch patches.

Maybe we're talking about two different things, because I just restored to version 1.10 and tested it and my delay and my reverb definitely hold over into a new patch.  Even when I continue playing in the new patch I can still hear the reverb and delay continuing on underneath my playing in the new patch, which is great because it helps hide the transition from patch A to patch B.  For example I cranked up the feedback on a 1/4 note delay so it would hang out for a while, I hit a chord on patch A and immediately switched to patch B with a dry sound (no delay no reverb) and I can still hear the continuing 1/4 note delay plus reverb keep kicking back even while I'm playing notes over top of it in patch B. But with the 1.20 firmware this no longer happens and it makes my transitions from patch A to patch B way more noticeable because the delay and reverb are immediately cut off the moment I switch patches.

Ok, just did some more testing.  The Reverb and the delay do not hold over until they're full completion in firmware 1.10, but they do hold over for a while (maybe a couple seconds (even once I've started playing in the new patch) and seem to gently fade out which still makes for a much nicer transition than the immediate cut i'm getting in 1.20.  Does that make sense?

I think most people on here hated the transition the way it was, I certainly never heard anything that sounded musical when switching patches on the old firmware, just clunks, bangs, and warping delays

It is a firehawk your using isn't it?

Yeah, it's a firehawk FX.  I definitely have had some warping delay moments, and that was no good.  A lot of the patch changes I do though are just for like from a rhythm patch to a lead patch, which I often have the same set of stompboxes and same amp model and such, but the volume/gain/delay/reverb is ramped up on the lead patch.  So maybe that's the difference.  I do remember switching some between some completely different patches and getting all kinds of craziness that others have talked about.

Yes that's probably it, if you use the same amp in both patches then the switching was more seamless, still out of time but not an ear bleeding mess, if you find the older firmware more pleasing I think you can roll it back to that one using the updater

For me on firmware 1.10 the delay and reverb definitely do not spill over from patch to patch in a good way, I just get warped sounds when I switch between some patches.

I was hoping the reverb and delay would spill over in a good way on firmware 1.20 but apparently there is just no spillover at all? if so that's disappointing as some early line6 fx units had great spillover between patches - surely we have the technology to make this happen on firehawk?

I still haven't updated my firehawk to 1.20 as I'd read a few things about 'thinner / fizzier' sounds which apparently was incorrect...

In my case I'd set up my patches with headphones and then played through an amp at rehearsal, so I ended up turning speaker sims off and turning up the presence on most of my patches. The firehawk then locked up and I never used it again until this week, I updated firmware and played through headphones so I was hearing fizzy tones because I'd adjusted them all for my amp and forgot I'd done it

That's a completely logical explanation and reassures me in terms of updating my Firehawk, I've spent ages programing tones on this thing and I'm now really happy with them so didn't want to update until I was sure the sounds would be right following the update. :)  

Since the update, I have noticed a couple of things, for 1, several of my basic guitar tone patches have turned in to midrange sounding clatter. I was able to fix slightly by turning down the compressor.

The other thing, is the FX loop has acquired a high end "tone". I have yet to find a way, since the update, to make the FX loop switch transparent without turning it down to the point that the external fx are inaudible. This is a real drag because I use the loop for a boost. The added tone makes it useless.

Do I need to perform a factory reset and reload my custom tones? All of my tones are in "My Tones".

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth...

I updated my firehawk to FW1.20 over bluetooth this weekend and had no problems whatsoever.

Patch switching seems much faster, there are no crazy sounds between patches and all my sounds seem to be exactly the same as before.  On the whole the new FW & I Pad App seem great.

Unfortunately there is still no delay / reverb spill over from patch to patch.