Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk V1.20- IOS 9?

Stratotron

Yeah, based on the post at the top of the page, I went ahead and updated. I had a problem getting my PC to do the upload, so instead, I used Ipad IOS 9 through the Firehawk App notification. Took an hour and a half via Bluetooth. So far I believe it is fixed. I went to the problem patches and no lag or chirps. The patches that I tested were very stable while switching.So far, so good.

Just about the time I loose faith in Line 6, they do it again. It is all about patience.

Thanks again Line 6.

Now I have to decide, do I use my HD500x this week, or put the Firehawk back in to service..

Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit of using the Firehawk at your gig as opposed to the 500x? All of the 500x models are in HD whereas only a handful are on the Firehawk, and I'm assuming if you've gigged with it, you've taken the time to dial in your tone.

BTW, I'm not asking to be a jerk, I had the Firehawk but returned it for the 590x over reliability issues. I haven't opened the 500x yet...

I think those are completely valid questions. Out of the box, in my opine, the Firehawk sounded better, a little warmer. In all fairness, I got the Firehawk right around the time that Line 6 issued the 500X firmware update that added the global eq. I haven't REALLY explored that function. The idea that the global eq solves for the brittle-ice pick-in-the-ear sound of digital devices. Initially, I had to fix this by scooping the tone of every patch that I developed.

Actually, The Firehawk has all of the HD amp models that the 500X has, and all of the non-HD models as well. I imported all of my tones from my Amplifi 100X rig into the Firehawk and left some of them as non HD.

The BIG deal for me in IOS editing, and Bluetooth connectivity for rehearsal. I get set-list charts and mp3s through Planning Center App. each week and the Firehawk has streamlined my rehearsal time. Firehawk really works well with Planning Center. At sound check, I can make slight adjusts to my tone from my Ipad.

All of that said, the 500X has all assignable fx blocks, the Firehawk only has 3. If I want 5 distortions in a row (just an example), I can do that with the HD500X. With Firehawk, If I want more than 1, I have to trade out something else. To me, the effects in the 500X sound more vibrant and more apparent. For this reason alone I may us the 500X this week, as we have a guest leader and the songs he has selected have effect heavy guitar parts. (Big fun for me!) I don't think you have gone wrong going for the 500X, to me it is more complex, but with that complexity comes total editing control. This is why I have kept my 500X, it is a great rig. If it had Ipad editing, there would be NO question.

This is weird, but another plus of the 500x over the FH is, the back row of switches on the 500X are stepped up, the Firehawk switches are not. I had to come up with little risers for the back row of switches on the FH so as to not hit a front row switch by mistake, which could switch a patch. A real drag under fire of a performance, thinking I have switched an effect, and actually switched a patch, so while playing, I have to figure out what I have switched, undo it, and engage the effect that I was going for in the first place.

In the end, I am planning g on using the 500X this week since I have it in service and have developed my set list. The biggest thing that will draw me back to the FH is the Ipad functionality, that is really a game changer for me.

Hope this was helpful, I think you'll love the 500X

This is weird, but another plus of the 500x over the FH is, the back row of switches on the 500X are stepped up, the Firehawk switches are not. I had to come up with little risers for the back row of switches on the FH so as to not hit a front row switch by mistake, which could switch a patch. A real drag under fire of a performance, thinking I have switched an effect, and actually switched a patch, so while playing, I have to figure out what I have switched, undo it, and engage the effect that I was going for in the first place.

Agreed 100% - too bad Helix shares the Firehawk FX poor foot switch design  - its tough to hit the back row of stomp FX and not accidentally change patches on the front row switches. 

Agreed 100% - too bad Helix shares the Firehawk FX poor foot switch design  - its tough to hit the back row of stomp FX and not accidentally change patches on the front row switches. 

On Helix, though, the switches can be configured so that they're all assigned to effects. Or you could make it so the top row changes patches, and the bottom row is effects There's a lot more configurability. I've never once accidentally hit the wrong footswitch with Helix, though. I think the spacing might be a little bit larger on the Helix.

I wonder if the buttons could be physicall swapped internally, or are they surface mounted to the motherboard. I'd hate to void a warranty to find out.

I just wish they used the same "stepped chassis" design  as HD500 / HD500X / FBV 

with raised rear row of switches

This is basic "user ergonomics 101" design practice for a live gig foot switch

DV016_Jpg_Large_420880.jpg

In 2015  - even Peavey understands the need for this type  design 
sanpera-970-80.jpg

I use the Variax (both a Variax 300 and a JTV-59) with the Firehawk. No problems.

On the Variax edit page in the app, make sure you set the Model and Tuning to be controlled by the Firehawk device. Of course, you also need to be using the VDI connection.