Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Application is available for download

ozbadman

Still not an editor. Just Presets/IR manager.

Helix application is a simple, but powerful, preset librarian and I.R. manager application for Mac® and Windows®. It allows you to easily see, customize, backup and manage your tone presets and setlists, as well as manage the impulse responses on your Line 6 Helix device.

It is unreasonable to expect Line 6 or anybody else to provide software for out of support operating systems - if they do it is a bonus, but often the attempt to do so will compromise the functionality they can provide.  

For all those Windows 95 users out ;) there this table is August 2015 position on Windows support by Microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle):

Windows XP - April 14, 2009
Windows Vista - April 10, 2012
Windows 7 - January 13, 2015
Windows 8 - January 9, 2018
Windows 10 - October 13, 2020

• Downvote 1

Wtf??? I refuse to budge from XP... My DAW works flawlessly with XP and I don't plan on ever upgrading, which would require a whole new build. I better at least be able to update the Helix firmware on my machine or I will be some pissed.

I understand where you're coming from because XP was a very stable system.  Windows 7 has proven to be just as stable though.  Win 8 sucks and the verdict is still out on Win 10.

The best 3 they ever did were Win 98 SE, Win XP and Win 7.

• Upvote 2

Lol. I noticed that this current software contains all kinds of references to POD HD 2.

The cat's out of the bag...

When I first heard of Helix, that was the working name. I think they (wisely) decided to name it something that made it clear it was not simply an evolution of the HD line, but rather a whole new platform.

The cat's out of the bag...

When I first heard of Helix, that was the working name. I think they (wisely) decided to name it something that made it clear it was not simply an evolution of the HD line, but rather a whole new platform.

Then I'm glad they decided to change its name.

i just bought my 2nd HD500 last month, a 500x this time, plus I have a stagescape mixer, and 6600 watts of stagesource speakers. They all work with XP. And now a Helix on the way.

Last thing I need is another investment in a new DAW with new plugins, etc...lol

I have been checking out Windows 7, and my options to get my software caught up...will run into the thousands... :(

• Upvote 1

Then I'm glad they decided to change its name.

It was never going to be "POD HD2". We just needed a code name for the metric ton of project management tools and files that are sent worldwide, and that's generally done first thing, so... not long after HD500 came out. Yeah, it's about the least inspiring code name ever.

Most of our older wireless projects have early 1900's scientist-based code names. There are a bunch of Star Trek-based code names too.

• Upvote 3

It was never going to be "POD HD2". We just needed a code name for the metric ton of project management tools and files that are sent worldwide, and that's generally done first thing, so... not long after HD500 came out. Yeah, it's about the least inspiring code name ever.

Most of our older wireless projects have early 1900's scientist-based code names. There are a bunch of Star Trek-based code names too.

I see. Thanks for that insider note :-)

Helix only needs a machine that can connect to the internet, download the files and run the editor - get a cheap laptop and disconnect your main music machine from the internet; it can carry on running all the software it currently does until the hard disk crashes, but it is seriously at risk because it is not getting any sort of software patches (and please say you are using anything other than Internet Explorer).

The laptop can run all of the editors and upgrades (monkey) for the hardware and you can use it to access the internet.

The only hole you have is if you were planning on using Helix as your Sound Card because there are no 32 bit drivers for Helix

i just bought my 2nd HD500 last month, a 500x this time, plus I have a stagescape mixer, and 6600 watts of stagesource speakers. They all work with XP. And now a Helix on the way.
Last thing I need is another investment in a new DAW with new plugins, etc...lol
I have been checking out Windows 7, and my options to get my software caught up...will run into the thousands... :(

Wtf??? I refuse to budge from XP... My DAW works flawlessly with XP and I don't plan on ever upgrading, which would require a whole new build. I better at least be able to update the Helix firmware on my machine or I will be some pissed.

462918670_butthurt_filipino_xlarge.jpeg

Sorry, señor. Line 6 Updater won't work on XP.

I stuck with Mac OS 8.6 for years after OS X came out. Worked flawlessly. Eventually, I had to rip the band-aid off, and it hurt.

• Upvote 3

Still not an editor. Just Presets/IR manager.

Helix application is a simple, but powerful, preset librarian and I.R. manager application for Mac® and Windows®. It allows you to easily see, customize, backup and manage your tone presets and setlists, as well as manage the impulse responses on your Line 6 Helix device.

Does anyone know if there is a EDITOR planned for Helix?

• Downvote 1

Does anyone know if there is a EDITOR planned for Helix?

Yep, the Helix application will eventually be the editor as well. For the time being it's just the librarian and IR loader. Honestly, it's so easy to edit on the Helix itself, I don't know if people will miss the editor all that much. When it is available, it is really just going to mimic what's on the Helix's screen.

Editor is nice when doing a ton of building and you don't want to have to prop the Helix on a table while you do them.

Then you're already in the software to arrange the presets when you're finished building your masterpieces.   :)

Yes. I have it in a studio on the ground. Its way more convenient to build stuff on a computer screen while its on the floor. The Axe FX editor has been a pleasure to work with in this manner. Im hoping the same for the Helix editor.

• Upvote 2

you should have no problems ... you can record Helix through the MD-20 if it works perfectly with XP...  and I may be wrong but pretty sure any DAW or plugin that works in XP will still work in WIN 7 or 10... problems occur when you try to mix 32 and 64 bit apps...

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea when the editor will be available?  I will buy a Helix once the editor is available as its not practical in my studio setup to either be setting the unit up on the floor or putting it on a chair/table every time I want to change something.

Any idea when the editor will be available?  I will buy a Helix once the editor is available as its not practical in my studio setup to either be setting the unit up on the floor or putting it on a chair/table every time I want to change something.

I think someone said it was about 2 months away, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunatley the software doesn't work if no helix is connected. That's a bit strange for me. Why isn't it possible to have a look at the software without having the helix connected? The software is a very important feature for me for many reasons and all those mentioned above. So it is also a createria for decision to buy or not to buy.

I have downloaded the sofware and installed it and I can even start it but then the windows says - no helix connected. I know it from other software that you can open it and play around with it without any device connected - hell even the (crappy) software from my Fender Mustang can handle that. Even the HD500 Editor runs in offline mode.

So is there any logical reason to not allow running the software without helix?

Unfortunatley the software doesn't work if no helix is connected. That's a bit strange for me. Why isn't it possible to have a look at the software without having the helix connected? The software is a very important feature for me for many reasons and all those mentioned above. So it is also a createria for decision to buy or not to buy.

I have downloaded the sofware and installed it and I can even start it but then the windows says - no helix connected. I know it from other software that you can open it and play around with it without any device connected - hell even the (crappy) software from my Fender Mustang can handle that. Even the HD500 Editor runs in offline mode.

It could be that when the editor is released it will allow for an offline mode. The current Helix application for managing presets, setlists, and IRs doesn't have any functions that are useful in an offline mode.

As of the current version, you're not missing much.

All it is, is literally just a text list of preset and set list names only. It's not at all like HD500 Edit. There are no buttons, knobs, icons of effects, nor any patch editing or viewing functionality at all.

I wouldn't expect much with the editor. Line 6 has stated over and over that it is just as easy or easier to use the Helix itself for editing ad that the software will just look one the Helix screen. They are pushing for people to edit on the pedal. I have heard peoples reasons for wanting the software and understand but based on their comments I wouldn't expect much. that could change but probably not anytime soon.

I am hoping for a full editor as well. PITA to program Helix on the floor when finding that perfect tone.  Some of us cant take over the kitchen table to have the helix at desk level. Just saying would be nice.

To add further, an ipad app to backup/restore would be great for that gig ,not if, but when helix freezes. 

You are being pennywise and a dollar foolish.  MS does not support XP therefore there are no more security updates being worked on and in a world with low life hackers that leaves you very vulnerable if you ever connect to anything.  I loved XP, great platform, but you have to move forward or your system becomes unsupported and vulnerable.  Every other OS is pretty safe, which is fine because every other MS OS is worth moving to, i.e. XP to 7 to 10.  With MS OS's spend the extra few bucks and buy the Pro version of the OS, not the scaled back Home version or whatever they are calling it now.  I'd move to 10 Pro if I were you and skip 7...buy a new machine designed to run Win 10 Pro... We've virtually had no problems with 10 Pro and moved from 7 to 10, skipping 8, with new hardware purchases at the same time... when we moved off XP to 7, same drill.  Upgrade both your hardware and OS at the same time and don't try to run an OS on a machine it wasn't designed for, that's bad mojo.. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, señor. Line 6 Updater won't work on XP.

I stuck with Mac OS 8.6 for years after OS X came out. Worked flawlessly. Eventually, I had to rip the band-aid off, and it hurt.

Any chance I can update my Helix with an older version of the updater that will run on 10.7.5?

Yep, the Helix application will eventually be the editor as well. For the time being it's just the librarian and IR loader. Honestly, it's so easy to edit on the Helix itself, I don't know if people will miss the editor all that much. When it is available, it is really just going to mimic what's on the Helix's screen.

This is GREAT to hear. Your customers will be VERY HAPPY. A full Editor for Helix (on Mac and Windows) is ideal in the studio. Yes, the interface on Helix is great, but here is my workflow: I create, edit and rehearse in the studio. I use Logic and Live as my DAWs and I have a standup desk so I can play guitar while recording, composing, mixing, tweaking, etc. on the DAWs while standing with my guitar. 

In my studio, I move back and forth between composing/editing and rehearsing. For example, I will be working on a verse to a pre-chorus to a chorus section. And I will set up a Helix bank to switch the guitar sounds for each section (verse, pre-chorus, chorus). And then tweak each of the Helix presets, then rehearse the transitions as if I were performing live to see how they sound.

But with Helix on the floor, I am constantly bending down, then standing up, then bending down, standing up, over and over as I compose and rehearse each section and transition. Avoiding this is why I got a standup desk - so as a guitar player I don't have to bend down or sit down to tweak the DAW. It works great, except for Helix - because Helix has to be on a table (to edit) or on the floor (to rehearse). A PC/Mac editor solves this problem.

If the Helix Editor were a true editor on the PC/Mac (able to fully edit just like on the Helix itself), I wouldn't have to bend down and I wouldn't have to place the Helix up high on a table to edit. If the Helix is on a table, it disrupts the creative flow because it make it hard to rehearse how the song would feel live because I can't use my feet on Helix to switch presets. 

• Upvote 1