Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Application is available for download

ozbadman

You could just take one of these black sturdy music stands and get your Helix on Desk level. Works perfect unless you wanna use the onboard expression pedal.

http://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_orchesterpult_deluxe.htm

I did have on a music stand when I first got it. Now, it's mounted on a pedal board. So, I'm sitting on a stool hunched over to reach the joystick. 

Other than the back pain, I also went all out and integrated the Helix with an AmpliFire, Sonuus Volume, and (soon) a Boss SY-300. All those units have editors. So I have to keep moving back and forth from Helix to my computer. I'm getting some crazy amazing sounds for the effort though. When the full Helix editor comes out, they'll all be on one computer screen to create some wicked patch combos.

Yep, the Helix application will eventually be the editor as well. For the time being it's just the librarian and IR loader. Honestly, it's so easy to edit on the Helix itself, I don't know if people will miss the editor all that much. When it is available, it is really just going to mimic what's on the Helix's screen.

I strongly disagree, I've seen that argument on the forums (TPG and here) but editing patches on the Helix is a major pain compared to (for example) the Axe-Edit (the best "device" editor I've seen) or even the old POD editor (which wasn't great, but did the job). The "edit with your feet" is a cool concept (for practice and even live) for quick edits, but long edit session for a Helix preset are a pain - moving blocks with the joystick (compared to drag & drop) and constantly paging left/right is slow and error prone.

Editing patches with a mouse and keyboard on (hopefully) a bigger screen real estate (hopefully your devs won't simply replicate what the Helix screen does and take advantage of the higher resolution) should be many times more efficient. I personally can't wait for the editor to come out, sign me up for a Beta (or even Alpha) if there is one!

Finally, as a couple of people have already said - bending over all the time is not helping my (not so healthy) back.

• Upvote 2

I strongly disagree, I've seen that argument on the forums (TPG and here) but editing patches on the Helix is a major pain compared to (for example) the Axe-Edit (the best "device" editor I've seen) or even the old POD editor (which wasn't great, but did the job). The "edit with your feet" is a cool concept (for practice and even live) for quick edits, but long edit session for a Helix preset are a pain - moving blocks with the joystick (compared to drag & drop) and constantly paging left/right is slow and error prone.

Editing patches with a mouse and keyboard on (hopefully) a bigger screen real estate (hopefully your devs won't simply replicate what the Helix screen does and take advantage of the higher resolution) should be many times more efficient. I personally can't wait for the editor to come out, sign me up for a Beta (or even Alpha) if there is one!

Finally, as a couple of people have already said - bending over all the time is not helping my (not so healthy) back.

Although I do want an editor program too, I have no problem at all editing patches directly on the helix. If a block is too far away from where I am on the screen, I touch an assigned footswitch to a block that is closer and use the joystick to go the rest of the way to the block. I did have a problem turning the joystick while I was moving around at first, but I rarely turn it by accident now.  I really am not into editing with my feet setting up presets, although this could be useful if you want to make a simple adjustment on the fly. I simply put the helix on a small table (or whatever is available) to raise it up to an adequate height so I don't have to bend down. Again, I agree with you about wanting an editor, but I don't see the big issue with editing directly on the Helix. You say it's a pain, I say it's pretty easy. Guess we just have different opinions. ;)

Agree.

It's nice to have the editor, when it arrives. But it is stupid easy to edit directly on the Helix. And I love that! 

I dig my Axe-fx, but editing is hell. Sure, the editor in nice (although way too many parameters), but doing ANYTHING live was impossible for me.

Need more gain? Uh...wait a second, I'll just run to my hotel room and get my mac and open the editor. Bah :-P

Yep the Helix foot edit is awesome, I know what you mean editing presets using the Axe hardware I used to hate it at first, but I found that once you force yourself to spend a couple of hours (instead of using Axe Edit which is way easier) it's not so bad.

But yes, live editing is definitely one of Helix's strong suits.

Oh please!

I had a PC/mac-editor on my Jonhson J-station BACK IN THE LAST MILLENIUM OVER 15 YEARS AGO!!!!!!

I just got my helix yesterday and I can't describe my feelings on NOT having an application for editing the presets.

Yes, the interface on Helix is better than any but still you should really be able to edit the presets, IF NOT ON YOUR IPAD OR MOBILE PHONE then atleast via the usb-connection to you DAW. We're living in 2015 not 1980

I really hope Line6 staff is working hard to publish the editing software soon. I guess it shouldn't be a big issue.

What I really am afraid of - if they're working on something else now that the product is already published, WHAT IS IT D:

Fortunately I do have a 30-day money-back-guarantee on this purchase. I look forward to not using it... sigh

• Upvote 2

Where the editor will really come in handy for me is final tweaking for a tone for a track in a song that has a dry track recorded. Combined with Helix's reamping, everything will be right there in my direct line of sight, DAW and a virtual Helix via editor.

• Upvote 1

When it [the editor] is available, it is really just going to mimic what's on the Helix's screen.

I think that's mistake. A desktop has more screen real estate, use it. For example, why should we still have pages when you can should all the pages a once? That way we can have the master *and* the tone controls all at once for the amp block for example...

Also, keyboard shortcuts for moving blocks around and modifiiers for tthe various settings (i.e. +/- then shift +/- for increment of 10 - something like that - and those modifiers should work with the mousewheel) would be *very* welcome.

^yes! Deffinately the app should have these kind of operations to make the tweaking easy.

I belive Line6 should have other manufacturer's gear and software at hand - take example of the good stuff and drop the unuseful stuff. A wheel does not need to be reinvented, just make it better, eh?

I got the unit yesterday and spent several hours this afternoon to find my way around the on-board editing (which works fine so far, Helix sits on a chair in front of me) and tweaking a few sounds. that is working fine so far and I begin to understand it's archicture - having used successive BOSS ME/GT models over the last 20 years ! They didn't come with editing software either, at least not in the earlier days .... my big BUT at this moment is the apparent incompatability with Apple's El Capitan software : the Helix App does not recognize the unit  plugged into my iMac and I was only able to upload the new firmware after re-booting my computer like 3 times !!!!  I'm convinced that I made the right choice with the Helix (been looking hard at FX8) regarding it's performance as a tool on stage but  I sincerely hope that the guys in the lab will deliver soon so that I can build /prepare /store/ organize my sounds  in a likewise professional manner ... may the FORCE be with you ! 

I got the unit yesterday and spent several hours this afternoon to find my way around the on-board editing (which works fine so far, Helix sits on a chair in front of me) and tweaking a few sounds. that is working fine so far and I begin to understand it's archicture - having used successive BOSS ME/GT models over the last 20 years ! They didn't come with editing software either, at least not in the earlier days .... my big BUT at this moment is the apparent incompatability with Apple's El Capitan software : the Helix App does not recognize the unit  plugged into my iMac and I was only able to upload the new firmware after re-booting my computer like 3 times !!!!  I'm convinced that I made the right choice with the Helix (been looking hard at FX8) regarding it's performance as a tool on stage but  I sincerely hope that the guys in the lab will deliver soon so that I can build /prepare /store/ organize my sounds  in a likewise professional manner ... may the FORCE be with you ! 

To get around the El Capitan issues, I used bootcamp and installed Yosemite to do all my Helix related stuff. I haven't had a single issue with the software on Yosemtie.

Yep, the Helix application will eventually be the editor as well. For the time being it's just the librarian and IR loader. Honestly, it's so easy to edit on the Helix itself, I don't know if people will miss the editor all that much. When it is available, it is really just going to mimic what's on the Helix's screen.

That's true but the Helix is huge.  It barely fits on my huge desk.  I have to move my tiny 20 inch iMac and keyboard out of the way just to accommodate it's huge footprint so I can work and hear things in stereo.  If it were upset at night, it would go cry itself to sleep on it's huge pillow.

Seriously though, yeah editor - get us that ASAP.  Everyone working at home or in the studio in front of their computers will be using it.  I'm not sure where the idea come from it wouldn't be needed but I've heard it before.  I need the editor so I can work on it with it out of the way.  The on unit on screen stuff you can do is brilliant - and I appreciate the work you put into it but it has it's place and it's not while working on or near a computer.

Seriously though, yeah editor - get us that ASAP. Everyone working at home or in the studio in front of their computers will be using it. I'm not sure where the idea come from it wouldn't be needed but I've heard it before.

No one's said it's not needed—just that it's not nearly as necessary as people think. It's coming; we weren't about to delay shipping Helix by X months until the editor was finished, especially when it's faster and easier to edit from the front panel.

Again, a bunch of us have early Helix editor betas here. Unless it's our job to test the software, we don't bother. Use the cap-sense switches, use Pedal Edit mode—it'll get you a lot farther than you think while waiting for the full editor to arrive.

Regardless, I just edited the title of this thread to avoid further confusion.

No one's said it's not needed—just that it's not nearly as necessary as people think. It's coming; we weren't about to delay shipping Helix by X months until the editor was finished, especially when it's faster and easier to edit from the front panel.

Again, a bunch of us have early Helix editor betas here. Unless it's our job to test the software, we don't bother. Use the cap-sense switches, use Pedal Edit mode—it'll get you a lot farther than you think while waiting for the full editor to arrive.

It may be easier and faster, if positioned properly. If it's not, or there's no room available to that, there may be physical side effects to the back and at least one shoulder. :D

I should try and do what you say and use pedal edit mode more, but when experimenting with replacing, subtracting, or moving blocks, pedal edit mode starts to get in the way a bit. But as long as the preset's block placement is set, that's where pedal edit mode works great. The problem is, how does one know when the block placement is set? Maybe you guys put in too many damn options. :lol:

I for one look forward to the editor and am certainly glad there is going to be one.

It may be easier and faster, if positioned properly. If it's not, or there's no room available to that, there may be physical side effects to the back and at least one shoulder. :D

I should try and do what you say and use pedal edit mode more, but when experimenting with replacing, subtracting, or moving blocks, pedal edit mode starts to get in the way a bit. But as long as the preset's block placement is set, that's where pedal edit mode works great. The problem is, how does one know when the block placement is set? Maybe you guys put in too many damn options. :lol:

I for one look forward to the editor and am certainly glad there is going to be one.

I apologize for jumping on the bandwagon here. I am perfectly content to wait for the editor for a reasonable amount of time although ideally at least a beta would have been available for the product release date. I know L6 polled their users and got no love for a touch screen but personally I would have loved to have seen an iPad app for programming. I have a multi-effect that uses this technology and the ease of preset setup with drag and drop, clarity and size of the screen, combined with the ability to attach it to a microphone stand or set it on a music stand makes for unrivaled ease of editing while practicing or playing live. I give L6 massive kudos for an incredibly well thought out and groundbreaking UI with so much to commend it, but there is no reason not to retain what they have and also offer a tablet based drag and drop interface. Future versions of the Helix could have a touch instead of a view screen built in as well as retaining their current revolutionary functionality. Drag and drop is one of those things that may seem like a just a drag at first but takes very little time to become a preferred method of programming for many. When iPad programming and/or a touchscreen is available along with a good PC editor and a state of the art physical interface like the Helix, you have a 1,2,3 knockout for usability.

It would be irresponsible of me not to acknowledge that with this best of all worlds, kid in a candy store scenario detailed, that one of the great challenges and possible expenses for companies like L6 is keeping costs contained while trying to keep multiple platforms like Windows and iOS, and their hardware in sync, as they make improvements and add features.

I understand that if I were part of a development team that had produced such an innovative physical interface I would want people to at least give it a good try before resorting to PC and iPad operation. With that said, almost no matter how good the physical interface is, apps for programming whether PC or tablet based are often preferred by many users depending on their circumstances. Determined by how and where they are using the Helix and whether it is for recording or live use (Until of course I get an interface I can operate by sheer force of will alone, are you guys working on that? ;) ).

line 6 knocked this helix out of the park, but if it had a touch screen it would have knocked it out of the earth's gravitational field.

I have had a lot of line 6 devices and this is the 1st one I've really liked.

Maybe the only people to take that poll on touch screen was the Roland/ Boss employees and they want that one for the next boss gt1000 or what ever it's going to be called. On the other hand unless Boss foresaw the coming of the helix, it may take them awhile to put a product out.

It is necessary.  As I read thread after thread of Line 6 pushing the ease of using the pedal interface rather than an editor - it just feels like you guys are pushing your agenda of doing all the editing on the device and not listening to your customers.  LISTEN:  

Yes, you did an awesome job making probably the best user friendly interface for a device I have ever seen.  Yes, when I am not by my computer, this works great - which is probably 5% of my time and when I rarely change anything.  However, when I am at my computer which is 95% of the time to record or play along with videos or learn from videos, having this beast on my desk is not acceptable - it's too big and too heavy.  Putting it on the floor and having to hunch over and work on it is not acceptable.  

Working with an editor does not interrupt my work flow (saw this line of thinking posed somewhere else - ridiculous).  This thing being on my desk or on the floor and having to use it does.  I expect Helix to have a stellar editor (like the Axe Fx Editor) - anything short of that will be crap to me.  If you think your community is going to accept anything less you are kidding yourselves - it's all we've ever known and the device is too bulky to be used easily otherwise.  Even the Boss GT-100 has an awesome editor now (though it didn't start with one).

I know you have one in the works and I'm looking forward to seeing it - but mark my words it will make or break a lot of your customers so please don't skimp on it, and listen to your customers who say they need it instead of constantly telling them they don't because of how great the interface is.

Oh and for goodness sake please write the editor in a language that works for both Mac and PC and isn't locked in a resolution so tiny I have to re-size my monitor to see it.

It is necessary. As I read thread after thread of Line 6 pushing the ease of using the pedal interface rather than an editor - it just feels like you guys are pushing your agenda of doing all the editing on the device and not listening to your customers. LISTEN:

Line 6 had two options:

1. Delay Helix's release until the full editor is done.
  2. Don't delay Helix's release until the full editor is done.

Note that there's never been a "3. Don't release a full editor" option. No one at Line 6 has ever argued—or even suggested—that Helix shouldn't have an editor. The ONLY point of contention is that a full editor isn't available at launch, but that's really common in this industry.

An editor would be nice but . .  if you have a patch librarian (which we already have) and the unit itself it so user friendly, after a few months of using the Helix and editing on the unit itself, a software editor would be . . . . . .????   Another thing to take you away from practicing and creating and playing and having fun and getting better at playing your instrument. Right?? what are your thoughts??

An editor would be nice but . .  if you have a patch librarian (which we already have) and the unit itself it so user friendly, after a few months of using the Helix and editing on the unit itself, a software editor would be . . . . . .????   Another thing to take you away from practicing and creating and playing and having fun and getting better at playing your instrument. Right?? what are your thoughts??

You are certainly right about less time editing and more time creating and playing. I never want the equation tipping more towards tweaking than playing.  However, whether you are using the Helix and editing directly, or using a software editor, the effect is the same, you are not playing although you may be creating. I don't see where any one method is superior. I think it comes down to having multiple methods available so the most users can create sounds as quickly, conveniently, and intuitively as possible,  dependent on how they use the Helix. That is the path in my opinion to max creativity and least aggravation.

Some tasks are a lot easier on, and really lend themselves to software apps. Software editors give you a bigger clearer screen with larger print, drag and drop, have popup or pull-down lists, allow you to see and adjust many more parameters at a time without paging, are much easier to use while recording, and have a host of other benefits.  Keyboards are also infinitely faster and easier to use for renaming (although the Librarian does give you some of that functionality). Using joysticks when you need to do a lot of custom naming is painful. 

Importantly, software editors massively save wear and tear on physical components. That means all the physical knobs and footswitches on your Helix last years longer and are more likely to be fully functional when you need them.

Line 6 had two options:

1. Delay Helix's release until the full editor is done.
  2. Don't delay Helix's release until the full editor is done.

Note that there's never been a "3. Don't release a full editor" option. No one at Line 6 has ever argued—or even suggested—that Helix shouldn't have an editor. The ONLY point of contention is that a full editor isn't available at launch, but that's really common in this industry.

I think the reason you're getting a lot of comments on this is because it feels like the general concensus amongst the line 6 employees is that the editor is not really necessary (or a priority) since the interface is so good. Granted, the interface great - the best (to my knowledge) amongst this type of devices currently available on the market. Again yes, it was the correct tradeoff not to wait for the editor to be done - but a desktop editor is still desperately needed for some (including me) of your users, and an actual barrier to buy for some of your customers.

I have used J station, Pod, and Firehawk live for 15 years. Nothing comes close to the ease of editing presets on-the-fly as a tablet or phone linked to the Firehawk. Great flexibility - put a phone on a music stand, or clamp a tablet in the ubiquitous tablet stand holders. From various small venues to large churches and amphitheaters, indoors, outdoors, I can pretty much whip up a patch or heavily tweak any patch quickly on the fly without bending over. Songs, instruments, and venue conditions can vary widely in tempo, reflections, etc-editing on-the-fly is essential to me. As line 6 said about their Firehawk /Amplifii editor , "Why be sore on the floor?"

I appreciate Line 6's approach and am ok with waiting. Thanks to line 6 for also putting perspective on the idea that the community forums are not direct product support, but moderated discussions.

I'll wait for a Helix editor for a tablet, perhaps a long time.

Cheers

Will the software be accompanied with a dedicated hardware joystick that turns by itself thereby messing up your patch? If it doesn't, how could it be up to par with the physical interface!

Just kidding. Editing on the helix is easy. That does not mean that on a computer the same task can't be made easier, and think of those using the reamp feature, for example -- they have no reason to reach for the unit while they work. That thing is supposed to stay on the floor.

Also, but that's just a bonus, if the editor works without a unit connected, people could download it, try it out, and see (if not hear) what the helix could do for them if they bought one...

• 4 weeks later...

I would also very much like to have a real desktop and iPad editor for Helix. But I'm very happy that Lice 6 didn't design the Helix UI to need an external editor. This is because it's so important to be able to edit easily in live situations to tweek the patches that sound different live then they did in your music room by yourself at low volume. I'm happy to wait for an editor and am glad Line 6 didn't delay shipping Helix until the editor was done.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Although I have used many guitar processors over the years I still use my Digitech 2101 twin tube because of the sound that the tubes provide. Editing this beast in a live situation is not an option, & so I have no alternative but connect it to a PC to perform any serious edits. The LCD is far too small for any guy of my vintage to be messing with without resorting to a magnifying glass. God how I hate revealing my f*+^ing age! Nevertheless, I'm still having a lot of fun producing music that makes a lot of folks real happy, & sometimes even makes them cry.

I ordered my Helix rack back in Nov 2015 & I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive so I can put it to use. Till then I though I would post some issues I have & get some opinions from current users. I believe my features would necessitate a second re-incarnation of the Helix such as a Helix V2 that would provide use of a wireless remote control for both a computer & a foot controller.

Let me explain. I have recently purchased a Behringer X32 digital mixer that I use for live gigs & have also purchased an V3 iPad that sports a piece of software that mimics the mixer completely. Having the iPad mounted on my micstand provides crazy ease of access to my live workflow with graphics that are easy to read (even for a blind old bat like me) & making it a breeze to adjust any parameter that the mixer has.

Since a few manufacturers such as Roland & Behringer are fully behind wireless (remote control) technology providing access to their gear via a wireless remote scenario, I find it difficult to believe that Line 6 totally omitted this functionality. Perhaps it's the price point? I really don't know. My Roland i7 was $1695.00 complete with software & wireless functionality & my X32 Rackmount mixer was $2,300.00 also complete with wireless capability so I don't see price as a breaking point. Perhaps it's already on the table as Helix V2 so they could make sales all over again. I don't want to get into politics here but perhaps it's a bit of planned obsolescence.

Everyone's argument or opinion of the current way to perform an edit is very credible. However, there are those who prefer to work in a way that technology is leading us & that is to use either a PC, iPad or your iPhone to access a piece of gear all the way to Tim-Buck-2 & back. Hell, you can even answer your front door while your on vacation & see who's ringing your doorbell. I prefer to leave the gear in a common rack, sit in my favorite position in the studio & have access to any piece of gear that I currently own & use. Is this concept affecting my current buying decisions? You bet it is. Everything I am currently considering needs either wireless access or it better be accessible via USB otherwise............no purchase!

I mean no disrespect to Line 6 at all because I think they are spot on with the Helix line, it's a fantastic product, but the future is already here so I am sending fair warning that from here on in there should a policy that fully embraces wireless access regardless of what it is you have built. Behringer could have said the same thing with the X32 (good enough) but their response to providing any means of setting & editing their products have really opened the doors to this long standing problem. Redundancy is never a problem, but rather just another door to access whatever you need to access, however you want to access! Let me decide how I want to interact with your gear.

Thanks for reading folks & Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Although I have used many guitar processors over the years I still use my Digitech 2101 twin tube because of the sound that the tubes provide. Editing this beast in a live situation is not an option, & so I have no alternative but connect it to a PC to perform any serious edits. The LCD is far too small for any guy of my vintage to be messing with without resorting to a magnifying glass. God how I hate revealing my f*+^ing age! Nevertheless, I'm still having a lot of fun producing music that makes a lot of folks real happy, & sometimes even makes them cry.

I ordered my Helix rack back in Nov 2015 & I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive so I can put it to use. Till then I though I would post some issues I have & get some opinions from current users. I believe my features would necessitate a second re-incarnation of the Helix such as a Helix V2 that would provide use of a wireless remote control for both a computer & a foot controller.

Let me explain. I have recently purchased a Behringer X32 digital mixer that I use for live gigs & have also purchased an V3 iPad that sports a piece of software that mimics the mixer completely. Having the iPad mounted on my micstand provides crazy ease of access to my live workflow with graphics that are easy to read (even for a blind old bat like me) & making it a breeze to adjust any parameter that the mixer has.

Since a few manufacturers such as Roland & Behringer are fully behind wireless (remote control) technology providing access to their gear via a wireless remote scenario, I find it difficult to believe that Line 6 totally omitted this functionality. Perhaps it's the price point? I really don't know. My Roland i7 was $1695.00 complete with software & wireless functionality & my X32 Rackmount mixer was $2,300.00 also complete with wireless capability so I don't see price as a breaking point. Perhaps it's already on the table as Helix V2 so they could make sales all over again. I don't want to get into politics here but perhaps it's a bit of planned obsolescence.

Everyone's argument or opinion of the current way to perform an edit is very credible. However, there are those who prefer to work in a way that technology is leading us & that is to use either a PC, iPad or your iPhone to access a piece of gear all the way to Tim-Buck-2 & back. Hell, you can even answer your front door while your on vacation & see who's ringing your doorbell. I prefer to leave the gear in a common rack, sit in my favorite position in the studio & have access to any piece of gear that I currently own & use. Is this concept affecting my current buying decisions? You bet it is. Everything I am currently considering needs either wireless access or it better be accessible via USB otherwise............no purchase!

I mean no disrespect to Line 6 at all because I think they are spot on with the Helix line, it's a fantastic product, but the future is already here so I am sending fair warning that from here on in there should a policy that fully embraces wireless access regardless of what it is you have built. Behringer could have said the same thing with the X32 (good enough) but their response to providing any means of setting & editing their products have really opened the doors to this long standing problem. Redundancy is never a problem, but rather just another door to access whatever you need to access, however you want to access! Let me decide how I want to interact with your gear.

Thanks for reading folks & Cheers!

+1 I think the Helix is eminently worthy of purchase without wireless editing capability. However, I completely agree that wireless editing is a huge feature that I would have preferred to have seen on the Helix and have commented on this very subject as have others previously. I would love to have seen wireless functionality have been included for tablet or even PC editor modification of the Helix, even if it was only in the form of an Ethernet or USB port that would except a wireless router or USB wireless dongle. That would have kept the expense down on the hardware. The real expense of course being in the software and keeping it synched for various platforms. Perhaps we will see this in future versions of the Helix as it becomes more of a standard for the industry. PC sales are down, tablet's are up.

I think the philosophy was to create a unit that is so easy to program that it doesn't require editor or bluetooth.

Now they revised this to some extend by writing an editor software (soon).

I had an H9 before and while it was fun using an ipad with it, I much prefer a unit with a great integrated screen and some extra ease of use gimmicks like touch sensitive buttons etc.

Speaking from a software engineer's perspective, I am pretty dumbfounded that people willingly use extremely outdated, unsupported, and unsecure operating systems.

I hate to say it but you are the same folks that use Internet Explorer 8 and expect web applications to function just as well as they do on Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or IE11/Edge.

You're only hurting yourselves and slowing down innovation for the rest of us.

Thank goodness companies like Line 6 and Microsoft have dropped support for these legacy systems.

Get with the times people!

+1 I think the Helix is eminently worthy of purchase without wireless editing capability. However, I completely agree that wireless editing is a huge feature that I would have preferred to have seen on the Helix and have commented on this very subject as have others previously. I would love to have seen wireless functionality have been included for tablet or even PC editor modification of the Helix, even if it was only in the form of an Ethernet or USB port that would except a wireless router or USB wireless dongle. That would have kept the expense down on the hardware. The real expense of course being in the software and keeping it synched for various platforms. Perhaps we will see this in future versions of the Helix as it becomes more of a standard for the industry. PC sales are down, tablet's are up.

Unfortunately, Bluetooth is waaaaaayyy too slow to sync Helix presets (which can be dozens of times larger than a Firehawk or AMPLIFi preset, plus there are 1,024 of 'em) and Wifi isn't an option on the road or at many venues. Plus, the typical Helix customer would more likely be in a studio, rehearsal space, or tour van than a living room, bedroom, or office. And USB audio/reamping and DAW control are two of the big plusses of Helix's Command Center.

Bluetooth technology has a way to go before it can fully compete with USB-tethered Macs, PCs, and netbooks/tablets.

• Upvote 1