Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Aux Input Impedance

cdtabman1

I have a Variax and am looking to get the Helix rack. I will be using a wireless system rather than a Variax cable. I know it's possible to use the  Aux input for guitar, but in the cheat sheet it says to plug a guitar or bass with active pickups in this input. It looks like only the guitar input at the front has a Hi Z impedance i.e is the best input for guitar. I'm thinking of getting a wireless receiver to sit on top of the Helix rack, so would rather have a short patch lead going into the back of the Helix. Would the aux input or one of the return jacks work as well as the guitar input? It's kind of similar to my last question but just working out how I'm going to the routing. Would have been really nice to have had another hi-z guitar input on the back. 

According to the manual, the AUX input has a 10Mohm input impedence. Frankly I think this is a typo, as this would be insanely high (great for unbufferred piezo pickups from acoustics, but very noisy!!). However, if, like me, you're using the Line 6 wireless (I have a Relay G50) the output impedance of the receiver unit will be quite low - like an active pickup output. So connecting the wireless receiver output to the aux input should be ideal. This is exactly what I intend to do - I have a helix rack unit on pre-order and I plan to mount my G50 receiver in the same (4U, portable) rack, connected to the Aux input in the back, so no messy cables visible at the front.

Doug

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Aux In is 10k Ohm (yes, the Helix floor's manual has a typo), which is closer to line level than instrument level. The four FX returns can be set to instrument or line level.

Is 10k Ohm technically "Line Level" or is there some preamplification colouring going on in the AUX path? I ask as I have a modelling mic and preamp that requires a Line Level input with no colouration for coreect use and hope to use the AUX. Currently I am using a Return (set to LINE level) to do it but it means I cant monitor with Helix verbs etc on and track dry which is what i want ideally

Most wireless receivers should be able output line level. I strongly recommend to check the receiver's manual for that. 10 kOhm is a great input for wireless, I use that for my Shure GLXD6 receiver. No colouration is going to happen with the AUX input, it's only difference are lower level and impedance compared to the GUITAR in.

Also keep in mind that a lower impedance usually means less noise. It's not that relevant with short signal paths and line level, but never assume that higher input impedance is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to change all presets so that the input is a Return? Or do I have to do each one separately?

I also want to plug my G90's output into the back of the Helix as a neater option?

Interestingly enough... There's another thread that floated to the top today from long ago thanking the development team for making .hlx files JSON text files.  Somebody wrote a python script for uncompressing bundles and setlists.  If DI doesn't have a special keystroke for changing it globally, theoretically, you could use these tools to help you edit a group of presets using search and replace.

• 2 weeks later...