Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just canceled my order at MF

lasvideo

Yes, I just canceled my order at MF. And they were giving me a 12% discount.

But I got over a bad case of GAS and realized its wasnt going to be $1500 well spent.

You see I already have an Axe FX which I play the crap out of and a Kemper which I havent turned on in 6 months. I got carried away with the excitement that new gear creates for folks like me. And I really liked the new GUI screen.

Helixs interface IS well designed.

But I use the Axe FX 2 in the studio mostly. And Axe Edit makes any thing you want to do with the Ax FX quick and easy to do. Maybe Helix someday will have something as good. Maybe not.

So the interface discussion is moot with me, and the real importance still resides with the sounds I get out of the unit. And at this point Ax tones are so good I dont pine for anything else.And the last 3 FW upgrades have done something special to the tones Im hearing coming out of that box.

So if you want one that will ship in about 6 days to you. Better call MF real fast  ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

...it's so much easier editing on a computer rather than on the unit.

It's really not. It's actually notably faster to use the hardware—we designed it that way. The only thing I use the editor for is naming presets, because of the QWERTY keyboard.

• Upvote 6

I think its easier with computer software (since I did have to do this same kind of thing with the HD500) because I dont have to haul the floor unit/wires up to my edit desk, fiddle around then place the unit/wires back on the floor.

I just power up the software and ALL functions are at my beck and call.

And editing presets and other involved functions with my feet...when pigs fly  ; )

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well I guess I'll have to try it but from my understanding you can't control everything from the controller. I'm always changing between different amps and cabs(or IRs) and things besides just the amp controls.

I believe that IR loading and preset (set list) backup are the only things you'd really need the software editor for. Everything else can be done with the hardware itself.

BTW, are you seriously doubting what DI said about the speed of the hardware? :-P

And what was the purpose of this thread? LOL

I use to have an Axe FX and it is a great unit. From what I have heard from the Helix, hardly any of my favorite amps are in there. The ones that are there seem good. It is really subjective when I have never played through one. What I have heard from the videos, all the analog stomp box are far superior than the Axe FX. Did not hear enough digital effects to be subjective. Another Helix good point is editing at the feet without having to buy another controller. It is hard to play catch up to the front runner with the number of effects, number of amps and cabinets, tone matching, and deep editing. Here is the problem I have with Axe FX. 2500 for the unit and 700 for the controller, 700 for a poweramp. That is $3900. I do love the real Estate on the controller. The ultimate to me would be 24 switches and two continuous controllers. Once line 6 incorporates more amps and effects, more switches, and has tone matching, I think it will actually be better. The design is already better, but it is hard to play catchup with someone that has be leading so many years. Line 6 states that it takes one month to do one amp model. By the time Helix catches up with Axe FX now, where will Axe FX be then. The best thing about Axe FX to me is all their updates are free. I am not seeing Line 6 doing this.

• Upvote 1

Here is the problem I have with Axe FX. 2500 for the unit and 700 for the controller, 700 for a poweramp. That is $3900. I do love the real Estate on the controller. 

And for those in the studio, add an extra $300-$500 for a good audio interface so you can properly ReAmp with the Axe FX.  As it sits now you can not dial in a ReAmped tone in real time, while simultaneously listening to the rest of the mix with any Axe FX unit as the interface. As it uses a 4(in)x2(out) interface USB interface.

So even for someone like myself who doesn't need foot controller, or power amp. It is still over $3000, as opposed to literally half of that and have it all in a single unit.

• Upvote 1

Line 6 states that it takes one month to do one amp model.

They've said about one man-month, iirc. So if they have two people working on a model, it could be a total of two weeks. It just depends on how they want to allocate their resources.

• Upvote 1

I believe that IR loading and preset (set list) backup are the only things you'd really need the software editor for. Everything else can be done with the hardware itself.

BTW, are you seriously doubting what DI said about the speed of the hardware? :-P

And what was the purpose of this thread? LOL

Same as any other forum on the internet. Its a way to communicate with others. Pretty basic concept really.

• Upvote 1

Personally I feel this is how these modelers will rank for the next year on quality and versatility.  The Helix does make a huge step forward from the POD days.

1. Axe FX II

2. Helix

3. Kemper

4. POD HD

5. Eleven Rack

6. Everything else (Fender, Peavey, etc.)

I think the most recent AXE FX firmware has pushed them forward in huge leaps compared to the past which will keep them at the top.    Kemper has always been the device best to compare apples to apples to AXE FX but falls short in alot of cases and then comparing either with POD was more Apples to Oranges.    While many die hard Axe FX users will remain loyal and those seeking pure and more precise tube amp modeling with seek out Axe FX, I feel that those considering a Kemper are more likely to get a Helix and be completely satisfied by their decision.    Helix is easier to obtain price wise and what you get is substantial plus line 6 has always excelled with effects over everyone else.   Kemper and Fractal may respond with a floor model that is equal or close to the Helix which could change the game again.   Until then I think Helix moves to the #2 spot and they should be proud to get there.    Whether they evolve it to get to #1 remains unseen and hopefully this isn't just a one hit single with only 1 FW update per year as we've seen with the POD which unfortunately would cause them to fall down the list in a year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But WHEN is it going to ship??? At Gearfest they toted August 28 as the release/shipping date. It is now October 1 and still no Helix.

It's shipping now. Line 6 never announced an official release date, so any date retailers were saying was based on their own guesses. There are reports of a few brick and mortar stores having units now, and online retailers should be receiving their shipments any day now. I imagine by next week quite a few people will have them in hand.

• Upvote 1

Will Line 6 be creating any Helix tutorials that guides the new user through setup and operation?

Nope... You're on your own... ;)

I'm sure they will. Some of the videos already released go into it.

The thing is that it's very intuitive to use. You can probably figure out 90% of the operation without ever seeing a manual.

• Upvote 1

i thought the same thing initially....

BUT....

now it's revolutionized the way i edit and refine tones....

i can now do everything without taking my hands off the guitar. (or bending over, or connecting to another machine, or utilizing a smartphone or tablet...)

just me and the guitar.... it's actually brought the whole thing closer to the music and removed steps....

it's never "in the way" because it's never enabled without explicitly holding a footswitch (like the tuner)

i understand your sentiment... because i thought exactly the same when it was on paper or discussed.....

i don't think many people will "get" it... without using it for themselves...

you're clearly still free to make your own decisions... and it seems you have....

i'm just adding my experience for the benefit of everyone else... to take or leave as they see fit.

LOL! Only in the world of cartoons, my friend  ; )  My toes are meant for tapping.

Its a nice gimmick, but in my way of using it, nothing more.

• Upvote 4

Personally I feel this is how these modelers will rank for the next year on quality and versatility.  The Helix does make a huge step forward from the POD days.

1. Axe FX II

2. Helix

3. Kemper

4. POD HD

5. Eleven Rack

6. Everything else (Fender, Peavey, etc.)

Um well... My hope seconds your feelings on this. However, when speaking of quality, and versatility, in no way should the Eleven Rack be behind any Pod including Pod HD. 

But I really hope Helix is right up there with Kemper, and Axe FX II! I plan on running my Helix with the Eleven Rack (having the Helix as my audio interface, and 11r connected digital AES EBU.)

Same as any other forum on the internet. Its a way to communicate with others. Pretty basic concept really.

And, as with any other forum on the Interwebs, occasionally trolls rear up.

This is a simple matter.  You prefer your current equipment.  Awesomesauce.  But to criticize something upon debut and having not actually played with it comes real close to speaking out of ones secondary orifice.  Line 6 is (finally) re approaching professional grade tone.  I've been futzing with my HD500 for years now and am finally comfortable with the tones I'm generating.  Comfortable; not thrilled.  If Helix actually has the tone values presented in the teaser videos, it is a game-changer for them.

My Bananas-at-Large guy is going to call me when they get a unit in to their Santa Rosa store and I'm going to test drive it using one of my guitars and my Roland practice amp.  If it is as good as it appears to be, I am going to purchase it.  Axe is a great product, but the niche is like Apple devices.  You are enslaved to their protocol.  Kemper is laborious at best, Axe is number 1.  If the Helix is as user friendly as it appears it is going to push Axe to up the ante, which is going to push Helix to up the ante, etc.  Provided we don't get nailed with Helix XD or whatever in a year and a half, this is going to be a platform we can use for ten years.  I do hope that L6 is more proactive with the updates and if they charge for tone packages, well, that's easy enough to get around (CustomTone has proven that).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

i thought the same thing initially....

BUT....

now it's revolutionized the way i edit and refine tones....

i can now do everything without taking my hands off the guitar. (or bending over, or connecting to another machine, or utilizing a smartphone or tablet...)

just me and the guitar.... it's actually brought the whole thing closer to the music and removed steps....

it's never "in the way" because it's never enabled without explicitly holding a footswitch (like the tuner)

i understand your sentiment... because i thought exactly the same when it was on paper or discussed.....

i don't think many people will "get" it... without using it for themselves...

you're clearly still free to make your own decisions... and it seems you have....

i'm just adding my experience for the benefit of everyone else... to take or leave as they see fit.

I have to admit that this part makes me nervous.  I'm comfortable with a desktop editor and my sort-of-studio is right in front of my workstation.  The HD500 onboard editing is very laborious, while the desktop editing is at least intuitive.  Does anybody know when the desktop editor is going to be released? 

• Upvote 1

I have to admit that this part makes me nervous.  I'm comfortable with a desktop editor and my sort-of-studio is right in front of my workstation.  The HD500 onboard editing is very laborious, while the desktop editing is at least intuitive. Does anybody know when the desktop editor is going to be released? 

The full editor portion of the (now available) Helix app is still a month or two out.

POD HD500X's editor was faster and easier to use than the hardware, but Helix's hardware is faster and easier to use than any editor, including its own. Seriously. A bunch of us have beta versions of the full Helix editor, and none of us ever use it.

• Upvote 3

The full editor portion of the (now available) Helix app is still a month or two out.

POD HD500X's editor was faster and easier to use than the hardware, but Helix's hardware is faster and easier to use than any editor, including its own. Seriously. A bunch of us have beta versions of the full Helix editor, and none of us ever use it.

LOL! Of course you dont.

With all due respect, who do you work for (rhetorical)? And how important is it to promote the product features in a positive light?And if like many folks you DID prefer the software editor to futzing with your feet, would you really make that statement in public on your employers site?

Im jes' sayin... I can understand the importance of the position you present on the advantages of editing with your feet on a distant screen then up close with your hands looking at a computer monitor. But old timers like me will find it difficult seeing details on the floor while standing. And thats just one of several good reasons why I question the validity of this feature for many folks.

Signing off!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

LOL! Of course you dont.

With all due respect, who do you work for (rhetorical)? And how important is it to promote the product features in a positive light? And if like many folks you DID prefer the software editor to futzing with your feet, would you really make that statement in public on your employers site?

Im jes' sayin... I can understand the importance of the position you present on the advantages of editing with your feet on a distant screen then up close with your hands looking at a computer monitor. But old timers like me will find it difficult seeing details on the floor while standing. And thats just one of several good reasons why I question the validity of this feature for many folks.

By comparison, putting down your guitar pick and picking up a mouse is a really crappy experience, and completely destroys one's creative flow. There's a reason why so many people prefer stomboxes and an amp, and it's not always because of the sound. Helix replicates much of this experience.

Use one, and then we'll talk.

• Upvote 11

Enjoy your toys children...and just maybe when you grow up you will be able to afford the kind of big boy equipment that real touring and recording musicians use.

Artists Using the Axe-Fx 

Steve Vai

Solo & Collaborative Artist

Dweezil Zappa

Zappa Plays Zappa

Alex Lifeson

Rush

John Petrucci

Dream Theater

Misha Mansoor

Periphery

Steve Stevens

Billy Idol, Atomic Playboys

Peter Thorn

Chris Cornell, Melissa Etheridge, LA Session Player

Guthrie Govan

The Aristocrats

Neal Schon

Journey, Santana, Solo Artist

Robin Finck

Nine Inch Nails

Brian Nutter

Keith Urban

Henrik Linder

Dirty Loops

Andy Wood

Rascal Flatts, Solo Artist

Robert Fripp

King Crimson, Studio Musician

Adrian Belew

Solo Artist, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, many more...

Dave Mustaine

Megadeth

Chris Broderick

Megadeth

Danny Elfman

Film Composer, Oingo Boingo

Mark Tremonti

Creed, Alter Bridge

Now run along to your moms basement and have fun with your new toy kids.

• Downvote 7

Enjoy your toys children...and just maybe when you grow up you will be able to afford the kind of big boy equipment that real touring and recording musicians use.

Steve Vai

Dweezil Zappa

Alex Lifeson

John Petrucci

Misha Mansoor

Steve Stevens

Peter Thorn

Guthrie Govan

Neal Schon

Robin Finck

Brian Nutter

Henrik Linder

Andy Wood

Robert Fripp

Adrian Belew

Dave Mustaine

Chris Broderick

Danny Elfman

Mark Tremonti

Now run along to your moms basement and have fun with your new toy kids.

If you ever make it down to LA, I'll buy you a beer and we can talk about the reality of gear endorsement. :)

Fractal does market their artist roster extremely well, however. Hats off to 'em.

• Upvote 2