Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just canceled my order at MF

lasvideo

They've said about one man-month, iirc. So if they have two people working on a model, it could be a total of two weeks. It just depends on how they want to allocate their resources.

So I reckon Line 8 should hire 8 people to work on models and they can then release two new models every week and own the competition! :P

LOL! Of course you dont.

With all due respect, who do you work for (rhetorical)? And how important is it to promote the product features in a positive light?And if like many folks you DID prefer the software editor to futzing with your feet, would you really make that statement in public on your employers site?

las I think you are being kinda mean and imbalanced, not a lot of due respect there. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Felix really is a breakthrough UI from what we have seen and it's entirely possible we all mostly just use the comp program for backups and extra bank storage.

Also to put it in perspective if I were you I would use Felix the Cat as my foot controller to your beloved Axe ... Just the displays by the switches is insanely good. The only comparable controller is the RJM Mastermind and that costs MORE than  Felix and have zero models, effects and amps!.

The am getting all warm and fuzzy about this Cat! (^_-)

• Upvote 1

So I reckon Line 8 should hire 8 people to work on models and they can then release two new models every week and own the competition! :P

las I think you are being kinda mean and imbalanced, not a lot of due respect there. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Felix really is a breakthrough UI from what we have seen and it's entirely possible we all mostly just use the comp program for backups and extra bank storage.

Also to put it in perspective if I were you I would use Felix the Cat as my foot controller to your beloved Axe ... Just the displays by the switches is insanely good. The only comparable controller is the RJM Mastermind and that costs MORE than  Felix and have zero models, effects and amps!.

The am getting all warm and fuzzy about this Cat! (^_-)

Wow, what drugs are you doing man! Between your bizarre grammar and strange product name changes, you must be flying high  ; ) Enjoy!!!

• Upvote 1

Regarding that list of endorsees, most of those players can be seen playing all sorts of different products.  Not to take anything away from the effectiveness of Fractal; more to say, "so what?"

Those players are not big boys on account of their toys.  If only it were so easy.

• Upvote 2

Enjoy your toys children...and just maybe when you grow up you will be able to afford the kind of big boy equipment that real touring and recording musicians use.

Artists Using the Axe-Fx, etc. etc.

Now run along to your moms basement and have fun with your new toy kids.

just about the dumbest, most condescending comment yet...  listing the paid endorsers of a product that's been out for years as proof it is better than something just now being released is idiotic at best...  typical Fractal snobbery that's been on display forever regards anything that doesn't cost as much...

i-have-gas-shirt.gif    tone-snob-tshirt.gif    tumblr_inline_mvcwhjBerv1rzqa6p.jpg

• Upvote 4

Endorsements really don't mean too much...some artists get stuff for free, others get paid to use it...blah blah. While the AX-FX is a very nice product, it is nice because it is a very nice product. I assume the same will be said for the Helix, endorsements or not.

Just because someone has a bigger marketing budget etc doesn't validate anything. Many of those artists you list use all sorts of stuff...they are gear junkies like the rest of us, except they get it free sometimes.

You ever watch an artist try to sell something they clearly don't use or worse don't like? It is hilarious...

Endorsements really don't mean too much...some artists get stuff for free, others get paid to use it...blah blah. While the AX-FX is a very nice product, it is nice because it is a very nice product. I assume the same will be said for the Helix, endorsements or not.

Just because someone has a bigger marketing budget etc doesn't validate anything. Many of those artists you list use all sorts of stuff...they are gear junkies like the rest of us, except they get it free sometimes.

You ever watch an artist try to sell something they clearly don't use or worse like? It is hilarious...

So 10 years ago or so I remember seeing this band that was moderately successful. They were touring and the guitarist managed to get some endorsements. He was endorsed by Peavey, and had a 5150 II half stack I believe. I noticed he also had a Flextone II half stack on stage with him but he had removed the logos. I knew enough about Line 6 at the time to recognize it. So I was talking to him afterwards, and he told me that he really like the Flextone, but he had to remove the logos so he didn't get in trouble with Peavey... So it really depends on the artist. Some artists really do seem to be gear whores who will sell their soul for free gear if they can. It was funny to me that this guy was happy enough to use Line 6, but he didn't want to jump off the Peavey gravy train at the time. Who can blame him, I guess...

Wow, what drugs are you doing man! Between your bizarre grammar and strange product name changes, you must be flying high  ; ) Enjoy!!!

It's humor, I thought it was kinda funny, and I don't do drugs.

But if Felix the Cat is the controller, what does stepping on the tail engage?

There's a reason why so many people prefer stomboxes and an amp, and it's not always because of the sound. Helix replicates much of this experience.

This is exactly where I am. I had an HD500 for a while and really loved the tone I got from it but I hated using it. The software editor made it easier to build patches but for live, on-the-fly use, it was just not for me. I can't wait to he the Helix under my feet!

• Upvote 1

Enjoy your toys children...and just maybe when you grow up you will be able to afford the kind of big boy equipment that real touring and recording musicians use.

Artists Using the Axe-Fx

Steve Vai

Solo & Collaborative Artist

Dweezil Zappa

25]Zappa Plays Zappa

Alex Lifeson

25]Rush

John Petrucci

25]Dream Theater

Misha Mansoor

25]Periphery

Steve Stevens

25]Billy Idol, Atomic Playboys

Peter Thorn

25]Chris Cornell, Melissa Etheridge, LA Session Player

Guthrie Govan

25]The Aristocrats

Neal Schon

25]Journey, Santana, Solo Artist

Robin Finck

25]Nine Inch Nails

Brian Nutter

25]Keith Urban

Henrik Linder

25]Dirty Loops

Andy Wood

25]Rascal Flatts, Solo Artist

Robert Fripp

25]King Crimson, Studio Musician

Adrian Belew

25]Solo Artist, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, many more...

Dave Mustaine

25]Megadeth

Chris Broderick

25]Megadeth

Danny Elfman

25]Film Composer, Oingo Boingo

Mark Tremonti

25]Creed, Alter Bridge

25]Now run along to your moms basement and have fun with your new toy kids.

Well that didn't take long. For anyone still wondering why he bothered to start this thread, there it is above....to play Lord of the Manor, and to put all of us "children" with our "toys" in our place. I stand humbled in the presence of greatness.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Well... until 2 weeks ago, I owned both an Axe FX 2 XL+, a Kemper Rack, and foot controllers for each. I bought this "toy" to go back to an all in one solution.

I preferred the Kemper after owning both it and the Axe 2 XL+. AXE had better effects.

I owned almost every commercial profile for the Kemper from all the big boys.

So i guess you can say i have the money for big name big boy toys. I say to each his own. We all know tone at some point comes down to the hands and soul.

• Upvote 5

The full editor portion of the (now available) Helix app is still a month or two out.

POD HD500X's editor was faster and easier to use than the hardware, but Helix's hardware is faster and easier to use than any editor, including its own. Seriously. A bunch of us have beta versions of the full Helix editor, and none of us ever use it.

I get it, but you guys are way ahead on the familiarity curve with the product.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really jacked about this, but I also know myself; I'm perpetually chasing tone.  I'll find the perfect tone for about an hour and then become dissatisfied with it.  The concept is very appealing, but when I'm at my DAW it's nice to stop, fiddle, try, fiddle, try (repeat ad infinitum), find it, and play.  It's also very nice to drag and drop between setlists.  I keep one setlist strictly for "tones in progress" and then drop them into a given set list.

• Upvote 1

Well that didn't take long. For anyone still wondering why he bothered to start this thread, there it is above....to play Lord of the Manor, and to put all of us "children" with our "toys" in our place. I stand humbled in the presence of greatness.

That, or he's just a d-bag.

I'm still waiting to hear his clips.

• Upvote 2

how about we all just gracefully back out of this thread...

it was civil at the start....

and for some reason.. we're now measuring appendages.

lasvideo decided not to pursue Helix... no big deal... more for the rest of us.

it's as simple as that, yes?

• Upvote 2

I get it, but you guys are way ahead on the familiarity curve with the product.

I'm purely speculating here, but I think that's point, or at least a variable in the equation.

I think it's one of those situations that people that don't get, may not get until they try it.

That being said, I am a huge fan of a computer GUI in the studio environment, but if this tap dance editing is a fluid workflow, my pics will  have many less teeth marks in them!!

• Upvote 1

my pics will have many less teeth marks in them!!

Try these...

http://solidrockproducts.com/

I'm never going back to plastic picks. These things glide across the strings, and they last essentially forever. Started using them a few months ago...same 2 picks, and they don't have a mark on them. You can experiment with different thicknesses and shapes, as it does change the tone, it's subtle but noticeable.

Seems expensive at first, but when you consider how fast plastic picks get chewed up, in the long run they're a bargain. And a lot of them are damn pretty things to look at, too.

Try these...

I'm never going back to plastic picks. These things glide across the strings, and they last essentially forever. Started using them a few months ago...same 2 picks, and they don't have a mark on them. You can experiment with different thicknesses and shapes, as it does change the tone, it's subtle but noticeable.

Seems expensive at first, but when you consider how fast plastic picks get chewed up, in the long run they're a bargain. And a lot of them are damn pretty things to look at, too.

How do they work for scraping strings and other things like that?

How do they work for scraping strings and other things like that?

Admittedly, I don't do a ton of pick-slides, and I suppose that could put some gouges in them if you're really digging in, but then again most of them are various types of quartz, which usually land between 6 and 7 on the 1-10 Mohs Hardness Scale (diamonds are 10). So they're considerably more durable than any plastic pick you're gonna find. Also, I find it absurdly easy to get pinch harmonics with these things, though I'm not sure why, as that should have more to do with where your hand is rather than what your holding, but it was the first thing I noticed. Could be my imagination...who knows? Fast alternate-picked runs are definitely easier to pull off.

For clean tone strumming (and acoustic tones with my JTV), rotating the pick and using the more rounded side gives a really nice glassy tone.

I'm partial to the jazz shape ones...almost the exact dimensions of the Dunlop Jazz III's I've been using for years, although the thickness can vary considerably (thickness for each is listed). 1.5-1.7 mm range works best for me.

Personally, after having so many different modelling pieces of gear of the years now, I'm kind of glad to be able to do some easy editing right on the box.  That computer is really going to come in handy when you are at a gig and suddenly have to make some drastic changes for whatever reason.  

Love what I am seeing and hearing this far and really excited about everything EXCEPT for the damn wait for the rack and control.  

Seriously gents....lets get moving on that, please!   I don't want to be waiting until January for mine up here!     ;)

Personally, after having so many different modelling pieces of gear of the years now, I'm kind of glad to be able to do some easy editing right on the box.  That computer is really going to come in handy when you are at a gig and suddenly have to make some drastic changes for whatever reason.  

I think you nailed it there for me.

I reckon wether or not you're going to like this, or not be bothered, will depend on how and what you are going to use it for.

I have a HD 500X and when i'm in rehearsal with the band, sometimes the preset that I created for a new song, that sounded great on my own, just doesn't cut through the mix when playing together, and I have to spend ages poking around the menus to sort it - which is a right pain in the lollipop.

I'm hoping this unit is going to bring a new dynamic to our rehearsals and gigs - i.e. editing on the fly and trying out stuff without p****g off your band mates.

There are a lot of "great" sounding modellers out there. So long as the sound on the Helix is "great" - I don't really care if the unit is better or worse than Axe FX or Kemper.  I get the feeling this unit is going give me more confidence in achieveing the sound I want on the night, and personally that affects my live performance. I guarantee 90% of the crowd won't have a clue what I'm playing with anyway - they just want to have fun ;)

• Upvote 1

Try these...

I recently changed picks as well, but I haven't heard of those. I may try them one day, but for now I found my pics. 

V-Picks. They use acrylic. http://www.v-picks.com/

I used a couple, and I didn't really care for them.  Until I came across one of their picks called "Black Hole."  :D

The Black Hole pick has helped me improve my playing in many different areas. Its easier to sweep with, its easier to scrape with,  It hardly spins in my hands, and I don't drop these. I like the sound I get out of these on my guitars mixed with NYXL strings, and these picks. (they have a bit more bite, and presence to them, even on older sets of strings)  PLUS they don't get abused like regular picks, (although prolly more than those gemstone picks)

I recently changed picks as well, but I haven't heard of those. I may try them one day, but for now I found my pics.

V-Picks. They use acrylic. http://www.v-picks.com/

I used a couple, and I didn't really care for them. Until I came across one of their picks called "Black Hole." :D

The Black Hole pick has helped me improve my playing in many different areas. Its easier to sweep with, its easier to scrape with, It hardly spins in my hands, and I don't drop these. I like the sound I get out of these on my guitars mixed with NYXL strings, and these picks. (they have a bit more bite, and presence to them, even on older sets of strings) PLUS they don't get abused like regular picks, (although prolly more than those gemstone picks)

Those are interesting,too. Never tried an acrylic pick. Prior to trying the stone ones on a whim, I never gave much thought to how much a pick contributes to the tone. It was only about what felt comfortable in my hand, plus the smaller and pointier tip on the Jazz III's made it easier to play fast.

Those are interesting,too. Never tried an acrylic pick. Prior to trying the stone ones on a whim, I never gave much thought to how much a pick contributes to the tone. It was only about what felt comfortable in my hand, plus the smaller and pointier tip on the Jazz III's made it easier to play fast.

I just ordered a couple of each type to try. I like thick picks. I have tried wood, they are cool but not for everything, and metal. I have picks that are half smooth and half rough. But mainly I always went back to the heavy Alice brand picks that come in sets I get from China that are $7 for 100 with a box. I just like the feel of them. I probably have 300 picks lying around of various type in search of something I love.

Now run along to your moms basement and have fun with your new toy kids.

Lasvideo - most of your posts have been reasonable, thoughtful and contributive, so it's a shame to see such condescension. Too bad we won't get to read any Helix comparisons from you.

Bye now.

Regarding the glass/stone pics, I once found a nice smooth pic shaped stone on the beach, I also noticed my pinch harmonics jumping out a bit more.

The other thing I noticed is it jacked up my strings pretty quick, mainly the low E and A.

Have you guys using the glass/stone pics noticed this?

I would imagine the acrylic one being a bit more forgiving.

btw...the Jazz III is one of my favorite pics, although not so much for clean strumming or broken chords.

Regarding the glass/stone pics, I once found a nice smooth pic shaped stone on the beach, I also noticed my pinch harmonics jumping out a bit more.

The other thing I noticed is it jacked up my strings pretty quick, mainly the low E and A.

Have you guys using the glass/stone pics noticed this?

I would imagine the acrylic one being a bit more forgiving.

btw...the Jazz III is one of my favorite pics, although not so much for clean strumming or broken chords.

Visually, the wound strings do seem to show a bit more wear, but you have to look for it up close with the light hitting them just so...not as if you can see it from across the room or anything. Plain strings seem unaffected. No adverse affect on the tone, just the opposite actually. To me, the plastic picks now sound kinda "dead" by comparison...muffled almost. As for longevity, I play strings to death very quickly anyway...I think I actually sweat battery acid, so it's really a non-issue for me.

Visually, the wound strings do seem to show a bit more wear, but you have to look for it up close with the light hitting them just so...not as if you can see it from across the room or anything. Plain strings seem unaffected. No adverse affect on the tone, just the opposite actually. To me, the plastic picks now sound kinda "dead" by comparison...muffled almost. As for longevity, I play strings to death very quickly anyway...I think I actually sweat battery acid, so it's really a non-issue for me.

Those stone picks really look interesting for bass, at least on non coated, steel wound strings, since you say they are harder on them than plastic. I'd imagine coated ones would start looking like a peeling sunburn much quicker.

For unwound strings, I have to wonder if the stone picks really do leave them unaffected. I use Ultex picks and the high E and B strings in particular, when they break, often look like a twisted, tangled mess; trying to describe their shape mathematically would be a nightmare. Would that condition become worse with a more rigid, unforgiving material?

Those stone picks really look interesting for bass, at least on non coated, steel wound strings, since you say they are harder on them than plastic. I'd imagine coated ones would start looking like a peeling sunburn much quicker.

For unwound strings, I have to wonder if the stone picks really do leave them unaffected. I use Ultex picks and the high E and B strings in particular, when they break, often look like a twisted, tangled mess; trying to describe their shape mathematically would be a nightmare. Would that condition become worse with a more rigid, unforgiving material?

I'm using Elixir nanowebs (11-49). I don't really get the peeling sunburn effect much. By the time they start to "shed" just a little, they're generally played out and ready to be changed anyway. The ones that I had tried years ago (Polywebs, I think...not sure) were terrible in that regard, and thats why I abandoned them back then. After just a few hours of playing everything was covered in "string dandruff". Didn't like them at all. I figured I'd give them another try 6 or 8 months ago, just for giggles...maybe the formula has changed since then? Whatever the reason, they seem to have improved, so I've stuck with them for a while now.

As for busted strings, I haven't had one in more years than I can remember, with or without the stone picks. They're a heavy gauge, and they're not on there long enough. A coated set of strings will last me a month at most. Uncoated, a week if I push it. I do plenty of bending, but I'm not a tremolo bar guy.

The stone picks look really interesting!   Do they have a kind of annoying chirp sound that you get with some of the other materials when used as picks or can one even tell the difference?

Always interested in trying something new.... 

The stone picks look really interesting! Do they have a kind of annoying chirp sound that you get with some of the other materials when used as picks or can one even tell the difference?

Always interested in trying something new....

I bought 6 picks initially...different thicknesses, and couple of really pointy ones, and a couple with more rounded tips. I prefer the ones that are slightly less pointy. The pointier ones have a sharper attack that I don't care for. With some of them you can sometimes catch a bit of a "ping" to the attack listening acoustically, but it's not harsh and doesn't really come through the amp.

It's more of a feel thing for me, the way they glide across the strings...not really a game changer for tone.

• Upvote 1

I use "Snarling Dog" "Brain Picks" .53 green... I like thin picks, learned with the old fender tear drop but they chip and break and were I lived when I was young I couldn't find more some one told me about Dunlop nylon picks used them for years until I found the ones with the ruff grip then use those. A few years back I visited my dad and went to a music store there and found this green pick that said brain on it and it was for me the perfect thickness and has the ruff grip on it, after wearing the point off it I did a google search and found out the whole name. No tarring, no chipping, no cracking, but over a long time I wear down the piont, bottom line "Great Picks" .... I had a friend that loved those copper picks but they were not near flexible enough for me.

post-1312196-0-28355400-1444195805_thumb.jpg

Not sure how this got off on a pick conversation but it has been interesting. Ha ha. It is funny how different everyone is with picks. One of the guys I play with uses wafer thin picks. I can't stand them but to each his own. Thin picks do reduce pick noise though. I Started with thin picks but went totally the other way. I seem to have more control with heavier picks. I tend to play with my fingers the most. I palm a pick and will even switch back and forth in a song. Weird I know. The Helix needs an optional pick tin addon

• 1 month later...

Product endorsement is somewhat of a joke. Lincoln Brewster is one of the only artists that I have encountered that noted that Line 6 does not "give" him the equipment. He purchased the HD500 simply because he loved the way it sounds. I am guessing he will jump onto the Helix wagon too. I am hoping that Line 6 will provide at least some tutorials on how to link the second DSP. I have tried to create some patches on my own that use the second DSP path but with no real success. The Full Editor will be very helpful for "visual" folks like me. I loved the HD500 editor. The HD500 was pretty cryptic for deep setting changes.

Much of the interface for the Helix is pretty straight forward. As noted above, if you work for Line 6, you probably won't need the Full Editor. I am sure the foks at Microsoft and Apple don't use half of the easy user interfaces that the rest of us rely on ( i.e. keyboard shorts etc).

As for better or not than the Axe-FX or the Kemper, that is found in the ear of the beholder. Some folks liked the GT-8 and 10 and 100 better than the HD series. Some preferred the HD. It is all about how each individual "hears" the tones respectively. I love my Helix.