Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just canceled my order at MF

lasvideo

Product endorsement is somewhat of a joke. Lincoln Brewster is one of the only artists that I have encountered that noted that Line 6 does not "give" him the equipment. He purchased the HD500 simply because he loved the way it sounds. I am guessing he will jump onto the Helix wagon too. I am hoping that Line 6 will provide at least some tutorials on how to link the second DSP. I have tried to create some patches on my own that use the second DSP path but with no real success. The Full Editor will be very helpful for "visual" folks like me. I loved the HD500 editor. The HD500 was pretty cryptic for deep setting changes.

Much of the interface for the Helix is pretty straight forward. As noted above, if you work for Line 6, you probably won't need the Full Editor. I am sure the foks at Microsoft and Apple don't use half of the easy user interfaces that the rest of us rely on ( i.e. keyboard shorts etc).

As for better or not than the Axe-FX or the Kemper, that is found in the ear of the beholder. Some folks liked the GT-8 and 10 and 100 better than the HD series. Some preferred the HD. It is all about how each individual "hears" the tones respectively. I love my Helix.

Linc also uses (or used...I know he HAS a Helix...not sure how soon or if it'll become his main unit...) the HD500 because he wanted us regular folks to have access to the same kinds of tones he's using (from the gear anyhow...you STILL have to have the hands...that guy is a monster player!!) without having to shell out thousands of dollars on gear.

For the second DSP path, all you should need to do is set the output of path 1 to go to the input of path 2. I believe there is even a template in the factory presets set up for this (I think it's called "super serial" or something like that. The main patch I use is set up this way and it's working perfectly.

Thanks theKennyG. I will try it. I am sure I was trying to make it more difficult than necessary. Linc's use of the HD was what sold me on mine. Saw him in Fort Wayne and was blown away with his tones. I would bet that he will make the jump to the Helix. Of course, he is such an incredibly nice person, I can see him using something the common man can afford. He is incredibly humble and an AMAZING player.

Never thought i'd go to the dark side but i've had my Helix for about 2 weeks now and can honestly say it owns me.

I own about 9 different amps and whilst the Helix doesn't cover them all (yet) it more than makes up for those not covered by giving me a new array of amps I had yet to try.

The interface is a thing of beauty and if like me you really don't want to spend your time learning another software editor then the Helix really is a game changer. 

So far I have only found one thing that is annoying me (most unusual for a brand new product) and I am addressing this with Line 6 direct and this only relates to using the Helix as a Audio Interface and thus doesn't interfere with the production of guitar sounds one bit. In fact the recorded tone of the sounds, once tweaked to ones own preference without a doubt rank as some of the best 'go to' sounds I've ever used.

Go check one out before you criticise it....at least you can then adjudicate its worth for good or bad honestly.

Get playing guys!

• Upvote 1

The Axe FX heavy hitters list is pretty funny.Most of those guys have not been musically relevant for a while now.Mr Zappa is certainly doing some pretty serious playing but Mega Chugga Deth lol!

A whole lot of big time players missing from that list.

I am excited to see what comes next and I belive that Helix is the beginning of part of that.

I will believe the Ax Fx hype when Robin Trower starts using one.

• 4 months later...

Alex Lifeson uses a G-Force and Hugges & Kettner amps, and Pete Thorn uses the Helix and Suhr amps, so yeah, endorsements mean nothing and OP's argument is invalid.

Where are you getting that Pete Thorn "uses" the Helix?  Yeah he did a review on one, on youtube, but i dont think hes ever used one to gig with or have done any major recordings with it. Hes also listed as a fractal artist, so it sounds to me like your dreaming this stuff up....unless of course you have any information you can point us to.

Where are you getting that Pete Thorn "uses" the Helix? Yeah he did a review on one, on youtube, but i dont think hes ever used one to gig with or have done any major recordings with it. Hes also listed as a fractal artist, so it sounds to me like your dreaming this stuff up....unless of course you have any information you can point us to.

Check out these Facebook posts:

https://www.facebook.com/guitarnerd/photos/a.121991044548406.30123.112763742137803/984564011624434/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/guitarnerd/photos/a.121991044548406.30123.112763742137803/985001044914064/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/guitarnerd/photos/a.121991044548406.30123.112763742137803/986722711408564/?type=3&theater

I dig it man, but He said he uses it mainly for fx. He also said he hasnt created any presets he likes..

Who gives a flying fish ? 

Apparently everybody if you havent noticed. You can find endorsements on everything from motor oil to hospitals, to golf clubs, Everybody wants to know what the pros are using. People hear sounds they like and want to know how to emulate them. Not sure why thats so bothersome?

Oh no! This old post got resurrected! And the OP is probably stuck playing his old equipment. At least he posted a purty picture senior picture of himself for his avatar.

Oh yes... LOL The Axe Trolls Beating Yet Another DEAD Horse!

I dig it man, but He said he uses it mainly for fx. He also said he hasnt created any presets he likes..

He said he hadn't really made any yet for that setup... Not sure how that translates into not creating any he likes...

Anyway, you asked for proof, I gave you proof. :)

I think the thing is that most people don't see this as sort of some zero sum game. It's like when people ask me if I'm a Fender or Gibson guy - I'll say both. It's not like there's a law saying I can only have one guitar, one amp, one modeler. It's a weird obsession people have about always having to crown things as the best or having a winner.

Apparently everybody if you havent noticed. You can find endorsements on everything from motor oil to hospitals, to golf clubs, Everybody wants to know what the pros are using. People hear sounds they like and want to know how to emulate them. Not sure why thats so bothersome?

My point was not that Im bothered, but to play thru what you want to play thru. Endorsements are what they are, and like opinions they vary. Don't run yer tone, playing or yer life TOTALLY on the "endorsements" of others and thus be another lemming running off the cliff behind the others, so to speak...

He said he hadn't really made any yet for that setup... Not sure how that translates into not creating any he likes...

Anyway, you asked for proof, I gave you proof. :)

I think the thing is that most people don't see this as sort of some zero sum game. It's like when people ask me if I'm a Fender or Gibson guy - I'll say both. It's not like there's a law saying I can only have one guitar, one amp, one modeler. It's a weird obsession people have about always having to crown things as the best or having a winner.

So my point still stands. I dont have a dog in this fight. Just trying to be realistic.

cool.PNG 

My point was not that Im bothered, but to play thru what you want to play thru. Endorsements are what they are, and like opinions they vary. Don't run yer tone, playing or yer life TOTALLY on the "endorsements" of others and thus be another lemming running off the cliff behind the others, so to speak...

I get you man. My deal with it all is - companies use names to sell their products, and because x player steps on a reverb patch once a year doesnt really qualify. Companies and even people, throw names around to make it appear as if the majority of the players sound is coming from that product.

Look at the post. Thats what hes proclaiming. 

Pete Thorn uses the Helix and Suhr amps

The majority of Pete Thorn's sound comes from the fact that he's Pete Thorn. I've heard him demo all sorts of equipment over the years, and you know what? He sound like Pete Thorn regardless of what he's playing through.  The thing about modelers is that most people want to dial them up to sound like a sound they're familiar with. So in some sense, the marketing tends to be a little off-target. I understand the appeal of saying you can re-create every classic guitar tone out there, but in reality, unless you're in a cover band, that isn't what you'll need. Even in a cover band, I think trying to nail all the tones perfectly is a bit overrated, but that's another discussion.

It's a weird obsession people have about always having to crown things as the best or having a winner.

Its a symptom of people who have worshiped competition unconditionally. A plethora of "cultures" do it. I'm sure you've heard the rhetoric, even in the same sentences that scoff at collaboration.