Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Remote working in Windows 10

beami1

I was getting sick of having to use my iPad with the Amplifi when it's sat right next to my PC, so I set about getting the Android Amplifi Remote app working in Windows 10 using a cheap Bluetooth dongle, VirtualBox 5 and the Android 4.4 x86 distro. All working well so far. The bluetooth pairing drops out occasionally, but it does that on the ipad too!

post-878017-0-36412300-1443817676_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I was getting sick of having to use my iPad with the Amplifi when it's sat right next to my PC, so I set about getting the Android Amplifi Remote app working in Windows 10 using a cheap Bluetooth dongle, VirtualBox 5 and the Android 4.4 x86 distro. All working well so far. The bluetooth pairing drops out occasionally, but it does that on the ipad too!

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

That's cool, I tried to do a similar thing using Chrome's arc welder, I got the app running on OS X but no Bluetooth support in that framework.

As a developer, I'd encourage Line6 to publish the specs for the Bluetooth protocol so anyone could write an editor. As they make no money from their software, more platforms would clearly mean more sales, and a more future proofing for customers.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I presumed that the majority of problems were caused by the blue tooth communication, am I not wrong? if so then surely we would have the same problems editing on a PC, what is required is an editor designed to use the USB connection ( Designed for later use)  Thus bypassing the inferior blue tooth editing system.

Try this:

There is a thread called "How to run Android Amplifi Remote App in Windows or OS X" that explains it.

Like many things Line6 - nothing is simple. I can't paste the URL, sorry, you will have to look for it yourselves. Progress eh? 30 years of PC and now we can't paste.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks Beami1. I can't agree more with the sentiments that we need a windows box to use Amplifi remote. I really do not want to have to upgrade my phone in line with Apples schedule just to be able to use my guitar rig. I have seen apps cease to work due to a new version being released, and that new version will only work on a new version of IOS, meaning I iOS had to be upgraded too. Eventually, current iOs wont work well on old devices and hence a new phone is needed.

I bet many folk over the years have bought amps that are still in use decades later, I am not sure how my Amplifi will face up to the challenges of decades of use, upgrades to ios and so on. Maybe it will all be ok, but I kind of wish I had bought something else, mainly because of the reliance on mobile phones. So, a proper windows version would seem helpful.

What's that? Oh yeah, windows upgrades are going the same way as IoS upgrades. Oops.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is not good news.   I just bought a TT, from YouTube vids it looks like a great solution for guitar sounds.   But I have a laptop PC for my music DAW software, and an old Ipad for the Amplifi App.   Problem is the IPad is old, slow, and too small, and I don't want to buy a new one just for my TT app.

In this first post, I see that it is possible to run on a PC with   "Virtual Box 5, Bluetooth dongle, Andriod 4.4"  what is all of that?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Iso I set about getting the Android Amplifi Remote app working in Windows 10 using a cheap Bluetooth dongle, VirtualBox 5 and the Android 4.4 x86 distro. All working well so far.

Thanks for the heads-up. I may try this out with VMware Workstation when I get time.

Line 6 shouldn't make customers jump through hoops and have to stand on their left foot and face east just to get their products to work properly. May be the boneheads at Yamaha who brought this kind of nonsense on. Line 6 has always been difficult but this is getting to be ridiculous.

• 1 year later...

Well, this is annoying. Just bought the Amplifi TT. Why would you even pause to check whether there was a Windows editor? Doesn't every other desktop guitar processor in the world have one, including the old Line 6 PODS! Should have tracked down a second hand POD HD Bean. Damn.

• 1 year later...

i have it working on a PC by installing the Android Operating system on an old windows laptop with bluetooth. 

Note your laptop will NOT have windows on it after this process.

1. download the android OS from the link in the video below

2. put that android os on a thumb drive

3. put the thumbdrive in the laptop

4. power up the laptop and make sure you boot from the thumb drive

5. install the android os on the laptop from the thumb drive

6. restart the laptop when finished

7. log onto the android laptop, connect to your network (wifi or ethernet cable)

8. go to the google play store and download the amplifi software (app)

9. connect the amplifi app to your amplifi tt

10 now you can control your amplifi products (i only have the TT) with your laptop 

here is a video on how to with the links to download the android software and the software to put the android os on a thumb drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-09BLe59uSs

please send me a message and i will gladly try to help

PS i've been using this for awhile and it works fine. it is a little slower than just using an android tablet. 

also you can get android tablets for $50 at walmart and they work just fine

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Please no one follow this "Make you laptop Android" in today's world.  You can run android apps from google play store in windows using Bluestacks and Amplifi Remote.  Even though the Amplifi Remote app never left the crappy app phase it will run there just fine. 

• 1 year later...