Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No output or power on JTV89F

I am getting absolutely nothing from my JTV89F. I've had it only 8 months. Originally I though it may have been my HD500X but I also have a JTV 59 and it works fine. This was intermittent before and there were a couple of times that I would plug in and get nothing and then all of a sudden I get sound and power. Now, I left the battery in this guitar a couple of times when I had it plugged into my HD500x with the Variax cable but I can't imagine that would cause this issue. Even with a fully charged battery I get nothing by removing the Variax cable and plugging in a quarter inch. I get no power when pressing in the modeling button. Any suggestions? The computer will not recognize the guitar either. It seems to be just dead.

To the best of my understanding (I may be wrong), the mags are completely passive. If you run a standard guitar cable from the 1/4" output into an amp and get no sound at all with the modeling turned off, you've got a real hardware problem. Could be just a bad output jack but who knows? Do some basic troubleshooting by swapping out the cable. If the problem persists, you should file a support ticket and get a warranty claim going.

From your description, it could either be your guitar or the 500X. shawnmx's suggestion of trying it into a regular amp with a 1/4" cable would tell you pretty quick if it's the guitar with no signal.

One outside possibility with the 500X might be if for some reason, the patch(es) you're trying don't have the VDI or 1/4" guitar in chosen as the input source... Kinda doubt it, but worth a look. I've done this at least once. Before I freaked, I checked my globals and the patch inputs and found the problem. A way to check your 500X at least with the 1/4" input is to try a regular electric into it & see if you have signal. Also if one of your FX's in a patch had its gain rolled down to zero, could be an idea.... I've had my JTV's since 2011 & 2012, and my 500 then 500X since about then and they've been very reliable, but you never know. Once you rule out the easy stuff, it might be time for a support issue.

shawnmx is correct -- with the battery out and 1/4" into a standard amp or a properly operating 500X 1/4" will be the mags only.

Just some more thoughts for trouble shooting.

Dave

When I first plugged in the 89f to the 500x this morning and got nothing the first thing I did was plug in the 59 and still got nothing. I re flashed the 500 x, still nothing, rolled back, nothing, reflashed back to the latest firmware and still nothing. I also check my input setting and tried another Variax cable. So I thought it was my 500x until I put the battery from my charger into the 89f, took out the variax cable and inserted a quarter inch cable. I then pressed the modeling knob and it did not light up. That's when I figured it had to be the guitar. So, I again plugged in the 59 into the 500x with the variax cable and it worked. Weird.

After playing my JTV59 through the Hd500x for a while I put a newly charged battery in it the JTV89F even though the other one I put in it was fully charged. It mysteriously worked so I took the battery back out and plugged it into the Hd500x with the Variax cable and that also worked. I'm baffled. I don't like knowing what the issue is but if this happens at a gig I'm screwed.

Here's something else that is strange. Since I had connectivity again the first thing I did was re-flash the firmware. The version that Monkey said was installed was 2.21 but the latest is only 2.10. I knew this and assumed that was the latest version but it is not. Where this version came from is a mystery so I'm hoping that now that I reflashed to 2.1 that corrected my issue.