Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR's with Helix question

stonefree01

Still waiting on delivery.....so in the meantime- Will anyone who has gotten their helix load some 3rd party IR's and post their experiences from loading to playing- along with the type of IR's used?

c'mon shipping notice....c'mon shipping notice......c'mon shipping notice!!!!!!!   Thanks.

Yes, I have used a few IRs with Helix, and it's super easy. I honestly haven't spent a ton of time trying a lot out, but I know there are tons available, especially if you're willing to spend a little money. I actually think the Line 6 cabs sound very nice, so I haven't had a huge incentive to try others, but it's a nice option, especially for people who've already invested in them.

• Upvote 1

You can load (Non-Ultra res) Fractal IRs but you have to convert them first. Ownhammer has a free utility on their website that converts .syx (Fractal) to .wav ...but it's a little dodgy with long IRs. 

I've loaded Ownhammer IRs into my Helix and it's painless process. I agree with Phil, the HX cabs are more than up to the task - at this point, you're arguing "different" rather "better" tones, and playing the IR hunting game can be a very deep rabbit hole. Most users will be very happy with the internal cabs, i suspect.

I agree with Phil, the HX cabs are more than up to the task - at this point, you're arguing "different" rather "better" tones, and playing the IR hunting game can be a very deep rabbit hole. Most users will be very happy with the internal cabs, i suspect.

Thanks! That's really good news as I agree, going through my IR's can take forever...

Phil, is that Fly me to the moon really done with an acoustic IR?! And your Variax? What setting and patch?

Not done with my Variax - just done with my Breedlove Oregon Concert acoustic electric direct into the Helix with an acoustic IR. The Breedlove has the LR Baggs Active Element System pickup/preamp, which is a decent preamp, but the IR is what gives it that woody quality. I should try to record this clip with my Variax for a comparison. With the Variax acoustics, I think using an acoustic IR would be redundant given the fact that I think Line 6 is already using something like that combined with convolution for their modeling. The IR I used was actually one that some posted over on The Gear Page. It was a Taylor 314 with a Neumann U87, I believe.

Here's the link where I found them. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/free-ir-files.1552290/