Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Carrying case or bag

jyanes

Did you have to remove some foam to make this work? I see interior dimensions for this printed as only 3" high.

I went with the Gator G-Tour Pedalboard too and it should be here early next week. I'll let you know the fit. The interior length/width dimensions seem perfect, but yeah, there could be headroom issue. Will let you know if I need to trim some foam.

I went with the Gator G-Tour Pedalboard too and it should be here early next week. I'll let you know the fit. The interior length/width dimensions seem perfect, but yeah, there could be headroom issue. Will let you know if I need to trim some foam.

Thanks, 'cos I am thinking about going with that case.

Thanks, 'cos I am thinking about going with that case.

Well I received the Gator Gtour Pedalboard case, and first of all, I gotta say this is a really, really nice flight case. Great build quality and look. I feel much better with this protecting my Helix than any soft case. It's got wheels too -- and while no retractable handle, it is tall enough on end to wheel along without awkwardly bending. I'm 6 feet tall, so if you are taller than that it could be a bit awkward to wheel around, I guess.

As for the fit, the Helix fits perfectly on the pull-out pedalboard tray, though it's the only thing you'll fit on that tray. So you may or may not choose to use the tray as it's function is limited. The tray's handles are nice (less chance of dropping the Helix) and there is a slight incline on the tray -- so that might be a bit better onstage. However, contrary to another reviewer (on some retailers site), I did find that the Helix is just a bit too tall for the case if using that pedalboard tray (without the tray, it's perfect). Even so, you could force the top down to latch it I suppose, but given all those multi-directional push buttons on the top of the Helix, I just don't want to risk any damage.

I'm keeping the case -- because it is sweet. For now, I will not use the pedalboard tray during transport, but I will do some very easy customization to the case soon. If you basically lower the 4 rectangular foam braces that the pedalboard tray rests upon (an inch would do it), I know it would fit like a glove.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received the Gator Gtour Pedalboard case, and first of all, I gotta say this is a really, really nice flight case. Great build quality and look. I feel much better with this protecting my Helix than any soft case. It's got wheels too -- and while no retractable handle, it is tall enough on end to wheel along without awkwardly bending. I'm 6 feet tall, so if you are taller than that it could be a bit awkward to wheel around, I guess.

As for the fit, the Helix fits perfectly on the pull-out pedalboard tray, though it's the only thing you'll fit on that tray. So you may or may not choose to use the tray as it's function is limited. The tray's handles are nice (less chance of dropping the Helix) and there is a slight incline on the tray -- so that might be a bit better onstage. However, contrary to another reviewer (on some retailers site), I did find that the Helix is just a bit too tall for the case if using that pedalboard tray (without the tray, it's perfect). Even so, you could force the top down to latch it I suppose, but given all those multi-directional push buttons on the top of the Helix, I just don't want to risk any damage.

I'm keeping the case -- because it is sweet. For now, I will not use the pedalboard tray during transport, but I will do some very easy customization to the case soon. If you basically lower the 4 rectangular foam braces that the pedalboard tray rests upon (an inch would do it), I know it would fit like a glove.

+1 Great review on the Gator G-Tour LGW case!  I also purchased this one, very happy with it and feel a lot better knowing my Helix is well protected. You are right, the fit feels like it could damage the knobs when the tray is left in the case. The tray was actually one of the most compelling features of this case to me. The tray keeps the bottom of the Helix up off carpeted floors for better cooling and less risk of exposure to spills or wet spots,  the tray handles and slightly extra height help protect if from other people's feet. I carry the tray separately to the gig right now. I am going to use the height added by the tray (as it sits in the case) or slightly less as the guide for how much foam to cut out, as the fit is pretty snug without the tray. Going to err on the side of cutting out less rather than more, easier to cut twice than glue foam back in (although I know any self-respecting carpenter would tell me to "measure twice, cut once"). This seems to be a really solidly constructed case and the modification for the tray appears to be extremely simple as you only have to trim the four braces you referred to rather than a large square of foam.

I still can't say enough about this Mono Bag.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M80PedalTour

I have never found a bag this sturdy before. Tons of padding. And there is enough room in it that I actually put my Studio Slips Cover over it in the bag just to take up the extra room. I didn't initially. The extra compartment is huge for cables and such and there is a little zippered mesh pocket inside that compartment for picks, capos, etc. I could probably get my expression pedal in with Helix but it would be pretty tight. I can't confirm that because I haven't tried it. I know it isn't cheap but the stitching is intense. It is just so we'll built. I am tempted to try their guitar bag but it's real pricey. The Line 6 bag looks well done in the pictures but base on their previous stuff I know it will be as sturdy as the Mono, though I do not intend that to mean it will be bad. I am sure it will be a great choice also. I just never ever use back packs. I hate them. I guess it brings back National Guard memories or those damned forced Boy Scout trips I hated as a kid (love the outdoors and hunt but never liked scouts)

• Upvote 1

I ordered this case for mine...  room for expression pedal too, $55 bucks.

http://www.rondomusic.com/pdc410ga.html

I  bought one of these.  It's ok but pretty low quality.  Some rivets on the hinges are very loose.

The entire top comes off every time you open it and it's not that easy to put it back on again.  Very awkward.

But it does do, minimally, what I bought it for - to protect the Helix.

I  bought one of these.  It's ok but pretty low quality.  Some rivets on the hinges are very loose. The entire top comes off every time you open it and it's not that easy to put it back on again.  Very awkward. But it does do, minimally, what I bought it for - to protect the Helix.

Yeah, its not a flight case for sure.  I want the top off every time as mine stays mounted and I didn't have any loose rivets.  For the price you can't beat it but you may want something more sturdy for banging around...

I still can't say enough about this Mono Bag.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M80PedalTour

I have never found a bag this sturdy before. Tons of padding. And there is enough room in it that I actually put my Studio Slips Cover over it in the bag just to take up the extra room. I didn't initially. The extra compartment is huge for cables and such and there is a little zippered mesh pocket inside that compartment for picks, capos, etc. 

Just ordered mine yesterday; pysched to check this baby out! And yeah, that extra pocket looks huge!

They seem to show an HD500 fitting easily in the outside pocket:

M80-PB-large4.jpg

Anyway, Mono, looks sweet. Nothing against the Helix bag, which also looks stellar. I have the M20d case for the mixer, and it's excellent.

I have tried various hard cases in the past, and while my gear was well protected, my lower back was taking the beating instead! I used to have a Rondo case for my X3Live; of them all, it had the best strength to weight ratio; really light, and pretty damn strong! I had a Pedaltrain PT-2 with the flight case, and that hard case was just massive and crazy heavy. But, flawless protection.. I also used to have a similar to the Rondo lift off lid style pedalboard from a company called Diago, the Showman size fit an M13 and Voice Live 3 side by side; way heavy when it was all loaded up. I still have a custom hardcase (byTarcaseco) for my HD500x, and it's awesome, but also heavy.. It's carpeted wood, burly! I will keep my eyes out for a Tarcase Helix model :)M80-PB-1.jpg

M80-PB-dimensions2.jpg

M80-PB-double2.jpg

Actually, yesterday I got a Sweetwater/Paypal invoice payment request to pay for my Helix backpack, so I thought that meant that they were about to ship - but alas,  no shipping info yet :(

Well the good news is that they say they won't charge the payment until they ship.... I've found this true for SW, so fingers crossed... I've not had a notification on my VISA yet from them.... Good Luck!! :)

Dave

I'm using the Boss L2 bag. The dimensions make it seem like it wouldn't quite fit, but it is basically perfect. It's snug, so the unit won't move, but not so snug that it's difficult to put in or remove. I wanted the Helix backpack, but I didn't want to drop the $150. It keeps my rig very compact. I use a dual guitar gig bag that I wear like a back pack, the Helix in one hand and FRFR in the other. Enough pockets between the Boss bag and my gig bag for all the cabling, back up rig (character pedal), picks, strings, etc. 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BossBagL2

I guess my age is showing but I don't understand why people would want to carry this heavy thing on their back. 😀 I think it's a generational thing. My son said he would get one when he gets his Helix. I will stick to my heavy duty mono bag...

To each their own. 😀 I watched a kid walk into my friends guitar shop with a backpack gig bag on. He snapped the head stock off of his Strat as he walked through the door casing.

I will stick to my heavy duty Mono bag...

Yeah, I like the way the Mono case is put together! One question for ya; it's a bit larger than needed for the Helix, which I don't mind, though it's not a snug fit.

Did you add anything around it to keep it packed in there or just let it be?

I have my tracking number for my Helix backpack from Sweetwater, saw the charge hit my credit card today, went to their site and saw my tracking number. Oddly, haven't gotten the usual email from them..... FedEx claims delivery by end of business tomorrow. Hope they're right.

Dave

Yeah, I like the way the Mono case is put together! One question for ya; it's a bit larger than needed for the Helix, which I don't mind, though it's not a snug fit.

Did you add anything around it to keep it packed in there or just let it be?

I bought a padded slip cover for mine since I get a lot of dog hair here.. From Studio Slips. I actually put it on the Helix in the bag. It takes up extra space and adds more padding.. I thought it was fine without it but it took up the space. Next time I pack it up I will try to remember to take a picture.

Ralph

The backpack straps are zipped away so you only have to use them if you want to

There is a handle too

I probably wouldn't use it as a backpack as I've already got 2 guitars in a mono case on my back already

Why

Because I need my hands for things like pedalboard and amps

Ralph

The backpack straps are zipped away so you only have to use them if you want to

There is a handle too

I probably wouldn't use it as a backpack as I've already got 2 guitars in a mono case on my back already

Why

Because I need my hands for things like pedalboard and amps

I understand man. I saw the design and it looks cool enough. I hope to see lots of pictures on here. I just wonder about the overall build. I bought a Boss bag for my old X3 because it was much better quality than the line 6 offering at the time. In the past I found their bags and such a little lacking but this does look nice at a glance. I will not wear anything on my back though. I will make two trips to,the vehicle first. I can't imagine trying to,walk around with two full arms and something on my back. Just a personal thing. Heck, I knock stuff around with my guitar in one arm and the Helix bag hanging on my other shoulder. And I was basically a roadie from 1983 to 1990...lol

I was going to post a photo for you but I realized I have no idea how on this forum.

You would upload a photo to some sort of photo website, like Photo bucket or make a public Facebook image. Then using a full browser to access this forum, there is an image link icon. You copy the image URL from the photo and paste it into the box that pops up when you click that image icon in the L6 forum. Sorry, pretty convoluted explanation! If you are using a mobile phone or similar, there is a tab at the bottom that says "full version", this will get you to the extra formatting options with the image link and hyperlink tabs

You would upload a photo to some sort of photo website, like Photo bucket or make a public Facebook image. Then using a full browser to access this forum, there is an image link icon. You copy the image URL from the photo and paste it into the box that pops up when you click that image icon in the L6 forum. Sorry, pretty convoluted explanation! If you are using a mobile phone or similar, there is a tab at the bottom that says "full version", this will get you to the extra formatting options with the image link and hyperlink tabs

Ok.. Thanks. I understand. It has been awhile since I have done something like this. I will figure it out tonight.. The combination of being a new iOS user (former android only and Windows) and a different forum format are taking me a bit to get used to.

24275194896_77309dcd07_n.jpg

Sweet! Nice slip cover, I might copy your idea there. :) Yeah, I was briefly entertaining the notion of getting some kind of lift out board to mount the Helix on, but I don't really want to make it any heavier than needed! I eventually want to pair my Helix with a G70 wireless, but I don't need to have them mounted on a giant pedalboard. I was considering a smaller board for a pair of Mission exp pedals and the G70 to sit next to Helix.