Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Carrying case or bag

jyanes

Helix backup worked great this morning.  Backpack style works pretty good for the morning worship gig.  The Helix is a tight fit but I do like the top drop in option.  Works well with the front pouch for any extras.  Small pouch was good for the in-ear gear.

Picts attached.  Very solid construction.  Will add the top handle was a nice touch.  Grabbed it several times this morning trying to get out the building.

post-1116141-0-28124100-1452479147_thumb.jpg

post-1116141-0-83995900-1452479164_thumb.jpg

post-1116141-0-89177500-1452479187_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sweet! Nice slip cover, I might copy your idea there. :) Yeah, I was briefly entertaining the notion of getting some kind of lift out board to mount the Helix on, but I don't really want to make it any heavier than needed! I eventually want to pair my Helix with a G70 wireless, but I don't need to have them mounted on a giant pedalboard. I was considering a smaller board for a pair of Mission exp pedals and the G70 to sit next to Helix.

I have a Mission exp but so far I have not taken it live. As I get more into using it for way and other effects I am sure it would easily n the Mono Side zipper. I haven't tried to see if it would fit along side in the main compartment but it might. I should add that the Helix Backpack looks nice but it doesn't look anywhere near the construction of the mono bag. That isn't actually a knock against it. Mono is sort of the extra tough bag company but you pay for it also.

I have a Mission exp but so far I have not taken it live. As I get more into using it for way and other effects I am sure it would easily n the Mono Side zipper. I haven't tried to see if it would fit along side in the main compartment but it might. I should add that the Helix Backpack looks nice but it doesn't look anywhere near the construction of the mono bag. That isn't actually a knock against it. Mono is sort of the extra tough bag company but you pay for it also.

Yeah, I was thinking same with the Mission exp, might fit alongside the Helix in the Mono. I found a couple of small pedalboards as potential Helix "sidecar" boards. Was aiming for a pair of the Mission pedals, the G70 and a Furman power thing. Didn't really see anything perfect for the Helix, though I think it would fit well on a Trailer Trash board though. Not sure Helix really needs that underside protection and still not sure these things like being velcroed down anyway!

I've put my Helix on a PT pro. You just need to remove 2 feet from the front. The rest go through the bars and help stop it sliding down the board

Couple of long strips of velcro and off you go

I like the mission pedal but at the moment I just added a L6 EP as a second pedal (mainly because of weight)

I've got an EHX B9 in one of the loops and am about to put my King of Tone into another. There isn't anything wrong with the Helix drives. In fact they are Excellent but the King of Tone is MY tone.

I'll get a picture up for info

I am not totally understanding why people are putting the Helix on another board. It's like putting a board on a board. Maybe I am just missing the application.

Yeah, I used to think all in one boards were awesome until I finished my Pedaltrain pro stompbox board, and tried to pick it up... Dang thing now weighs more than my DT25!

So with Helix, it's already pretty heavy. Back in the day I did bi-monthly gigs on beer splashy stages in an Irish pub, so that for me is where the board on board idea comes in. Just get it off the floor by a little bit so it's just the case lid of bottom of flatboard that gets the beer treatment (and stench), rather than the underside of your gear.. Especially, the underside of a Helix!

Now, these days, I don't gig and I don't drink alcohol (last drink was nearly a year ago), so I feel less concerned about protecting Helix when using it. Carpet and some cat hair it can handle! Just for transporting it to jam with buddies, or for storage when not in use (cats find the strangest things comfortable to lie down on!)

I still have this Tarcase for my HD500x. It's pretty sturdy, guy used to do a lot of custom cases for L6 gear, not sure if he still does. Burly and heavy, but fitted so you don't have to Velcro the unit into the case lid.

If the Tarcase guy did a custom Helix case, I'd consider it!

I am not totally understanding why people are putting the Helix on another board. It's like putting a board on a board. Maybe I am just missing the application.

You don't get me at all ;) I like backpacks and boards on a board

Basically I have a wireless which has a patch cable and a pay requirement 2 pedals which need in and out patch cables and power. And an expression pedal which needs cabled

You set it all up with the cables and power under the board and when you get to the gig all you have to do is put it on the ground and plug in the AC. Everything is where it needs to be and less stress on the patch cables

Also it gets it off the deck in case someone knocks over a pint

Finish the gig. Wrap the cables up and put it in the case and done

Basically I have a wireless which has a patch cable and a pay requirement 2 pedals which need in and out patch cables and power. And an expression pedal which needs cabled. You set it all up with the cables and power under the board and when you get to the gig all you have to do is put it on the ground and plug in the AC. Everything is where it needs to be and less stress on the patch cables. Also it gets it off the deck in case someone knocks over a pint. Finish the gig. Wrap the cables up and put it in the case and done

Yeah, I definitely can get with that idea! Pint prevention is crucial :) I would like to do something similar, but my back can't really deal with it all on one PT Pro sized board. I have a sweet pedalboard going on a PT Pro, and I think it's heavier than my DT25! Voodoo Lab PX8 switcher, M9 in the middle for fx loop reverb, chorus, delay type stuff, a G70 wireless, Decimator noise gate,and a combination of Fulltone, Keeley and a Keeley nodded TS9 for the drives, phaser, autowah, wah, volume pedal, compressor, clean boost, ocd, etc. Weighs too much!!

Helix weighs much less, but on a PT pro, with a wireless, two Mission exp pedals, and a Furman power strip, it's right back up there in lower back pain.

So, for my compromise, I was thinking a light lift out flat pedalboard for just Helix, that will fit in my Mono case. Trailer Trash has a $65 24x12 flat lift out board which seems like it will fit the Helix, and fit in the Mono case:

http://trailertrashpedalboards.com/24-inch-flattrash-board-only

OD = Outside Dimension

ID = Inside Dimension

24x12 OD = 22 ¾†x 11 3/8†ID

fd26575c-f39c-4fe4-8bb3-8a67559440a2.jpg

Then, I want a get a Gator GPT pedal tote,

GPTBLK-xlarge.jpg

Still need to add another Mission exp (have one already), and for power on a budget, a Furman SS 6B.

SS6Block-xlarge.jpg

Velcro the Furman, G70 receiver, and both Mission EXP pedals to the Gator.

Setup would be slightly more than the all in one approach:

1. Helix board and Gator board next to each other, or in a semi angle, depending.

2. Connect exp cables to Helix, Helix power to Furman, and G70 wireless send to Helix.

I've come from an M13 in a Diago case and a TC G system which seems to be made of sheet steel! So it's about the same as those although when I put the mission pedal and my Buddha Wah it was a pedal too far even for me

On the plus side I don't need to carry an amp around now so it's swings and roundabouts

I've come from an M13 in a Diago case and a TC G system which seems to be made of sheet steel! So it's about the same as those although when I put the mission pedal and my Buddha Wah it was a pedal too far even for me

On the plus side I don't need to carry an amp around now so it's swings and roundabouts

Yeah, I don't have anymore, but used to have an M13 and Voice Live3 side by side on a Diago. Uber heavy! Well built, I was looking at one of those for a possible Helix case.

Sort of looking at it by carry weight, per bag + board:

1.) Helix + Trailer Trash + Mono:

Trailer Trash flat trash board-

24x12 OD = 22 ¾†x 11 3/8†ID

Weight (5.4lbs?)

Helix-

22.05 x 11.85 x 3.6 inches;

Weight 14.6 lbs.

Mono M80 Tour-

24-1/2" x 14.5"

Weight 6.5lbs

Helix Mono bag = approx 26.5lbs

2.) Gator + G70 + Furman + Missions:

Gator GPT Pedal Tote -

16.5"x12"

7 lbs.

Mission EP1-L6 expression pedals-

3.25" x 8.7"

(3.5lbs each x 2 = )

7 lbs.

Furman SS6B-

9.5" x 4.5"?

3 lbs.?

L6 G70 wireless receiver

4" x 5.5"

3 lbs.?

Gator case approx 20lbs

Anyway, for me, no immediate rush to spend all that $ just to have it all pedalboarded up!.. And don't immediately need the extra EXP pedal yet would like to get a second G70 transmitter, don't need the full receiver just yet, but would like to have two transmitters for two guitars, and be able to quickly toggle between them.

But, for the weight distribution, this is the best I've come up with thus far..

Cheers!

Quick revision to my 'Helix Sidecar Board' idea:

-I went with a Pedaltrain Novo18; it's 2" deeper back, which allows some extra clearance behind the two Mission pedals for the Furman power- I didn't want the on/off switch anywhere near my feet! Also leaves plenty of room around the G70 receiver.

>-I also called Rooster at Trailer Trash and ordered a 24x12 flat board. For $65, can't find anything else that is flat, will fit Helix, has those lift handles on the left and right, and will also fit in the Mono case. Need to research some options for sticking Helix to the flat board

Quick note on the L6-EP1 Mission expression pedals, B-stock sale direct from Misson, they have one black L6-Ep1 and six red, $100 each (new they are $130)

http://missionengineering.com/?product=b-stock

You don't get me at all ;) I like backpacks and boards on a board

Basically I have a wireless which has a patch cable and a pay requirement 2 pedals which need in and out patch cables and power. And an expression pedal which needs cabled

You set it all up with the cables and power under the board and when you get to the gig all you have to do is put it on the ground and plug in the AC. Everything is where it needs to be and less stress on the patch cables

Also it gets it off the deck in case someone knocks over a pint

Finish the gig. Wrap the cables up and put it in the case and done

I get that.. I use a wireless and an expression pedal as well. If I were doing frequent gigs I can see where having that pre wired would help.

Lime I said, I think the back pack is a generational thing. It isn't just with gear, I don't get pack packs period except for the army and camping.

• Upvote 1

Just found this one:

http://www.thomann.d...ine_6_helix.htm

Think I will get one!

How did this case work out for you? How long did it take to ship?  Thanks for info.

This casi is perfect. Fits like a glove, built like a tank.

I think It took about 7-9 days to arrive if I remember correctly.

Worth the wait!

I removed the 4 screws holding the rubber feet in the corners and replaced them with 4 metric screws the same size, but longer -- long enough to allow me to attached to 1/2" clear pine cleats to the bottom of the Helix (with washers). The cleats are colored flat black so they disappear. I then set everything into a pedalboard roadcase with a lift off top (see attached photo). There are wood screws with trim washers that reach up from underneath the roadcase and hold the cleats to the roadcase. 

If you're wondering about the Radial stereo direct box, although the XLR outs on the Helix work fine in some local active monitors I use at home, I'm getting some noise when I run them into the FOH console at one of the venues I play every week (BTW, it's not related to the 'ground lift'; it's not the typical 'ground noise'; the position of the Helix ground lift switch for the XLR outs doesn't make a difference). I found that taking the 1/4" outputs from the Helix into the Radial gives me a clean signal to this particular FOH console.

Hope this helps!   :)

post-5808-0-30844500-1453511797_thumb.jpg

thats fine if you never takes it out of the house on a regular basis,or have the luxury of taking as long as you like to set-up and pack down!

I'm in a similar position to one of the other replies where i have a few pedals that cover ground the helix doesnt,less hassle if they are where they need to be and i can just power up and plug in.

thats fine if you never takes it out of the house on a regular basis,or have the luxury of taking as long as you like to set-up and pack down!

I'm in a similar position to one of the other replies where i have a few pedals that cover ground the helix doesnt,less hassle if they are where they need to be and i can just power up and plug in.

It definitely makes sense if you have a bunch of other stuff hooked up. With me it just the Helix and my wireless. It takes me 2 minutes. I am going to start using an external expression but it shouldn't add more time.. I wouldn't want the weight of it all in another board I am getting old

Just found this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm

Think I will get one!

Was wondering about the ventilation holes on the underside of the Helix. At gigs I would like to keep the Helix in the case for some protection from band members and stage invaders, the extra depth is ideal to protect the leads and generally less kickable alround. I presume the feet on the Helix sink into the foam padding and the sides are snug, restricting any or all airflow? Do you think overheating could be a problem, the manual does state 'Do not block any ventilation openings' ? This case looks perfect for me otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Will it fit? Helix size:

22.05 x 11.85 x 3.6 inches;

That bag says interior dimensions

20.5" x 11" x 4.5".

Well, skategeezer says he's using it and Sweetwater has some slightly different measurements.  I don't typically find Amazon's specs to be very accurate.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseBag25

• Upvote 1

Well, skategeezer says he's using it and Sweetwater has some slightly different measurements.  I don't typically find Amazon's specs to be very accurate.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseBag25

Good catch! yeah, Sweetwater is usually spot on. Looks like they say 21"x13" internal, looks like Helix should be good to go!

• Upvote 1

Questions:

1. For you guys using the Gator G-tour LWG hard case. Would you fly it? I do a lot of cruise ship work and other fly dates, and I am considering this case for flying. I might just go with the Boss or Mono bag and carry it on if they will let me, but it sure is a huge risk if they won't. The Pedaltrain Jr I've been using with my current rig will actually fit under an airline seat, so that has been convenient to this point. I wish the Helix would fit in that thing!

2. Do you think that Boss should modify their material that they use in their L2 bag so that it eats away the paint on the Helix, hehe? I guess they don't care as long as they are selling SOMETHING. Won't putting a Line 6 product into a Boss product rip some sort of hole in the space-time continuum?

Questions:

Do you think that Boss should modify their material that they use in their L2 bag so that it eats away the paint on the Helix, hehe? I guess they don't care as long as they are selling SOMETHING. Won't putting a Line 6 product into a Boss product rip some sort of hole in the space-time continuum?

Ha ha!  Well, my first option is the Boss L2 but plan B is the Novation.  If putting a Line 6 product in a Boss bag will rip the fabric of the space time continuum... then we'll all get entertained.  LOL

Questions:

1. For you guys using the Gator G-tour LWG hard case. Would you fly it? I do a lot of cruise ship work and other fly dates, and I am considering this case for flying. ...

I have the G-Tour LWG case and I have not tried to fly it so I can't answer definitively whether it is small enough to carry on. It does however roll which makes it a lot lighter to carry to the last gate at the airport and the padding should be more than adequate (although you do need to custom modify the bottom foam "posts" if you want to carry the included pedal board inside as well). It is heavy, don't know if that would incur an extra charge or impact your ability to carry-on on any of the airlines.

I have the G-Tour LWG case and I have not tried to fly it so I can't answer definitively whether it is small enough to carry on. It does however roll which makes it a lot lighter to carry to the last gate at the airport and the padding should be more than adequate (although you do need to custom modify the bottom foam "posts" if you want to carry the included pedal board inside as well). It is heavy, don't know if that would incur an extra charge or impact your ability to carry-on on any of the airlines.

Thanks for the insights! I meant by flying would you feel confident (enough) checking it as opposed to carrying it on? Most airlines we use don't charge for checked luggage until it exceeds 50lbs, which I will be well under. If I choose to try to carry on, I will go with a soft case, and hope like heck they don't make me valet-check it. Plus, the charges for our overweight items are recouped anyway, so it's not really out-of-pocket for me, I'm just trying to reduce how much I'm carrying on considering I'm already bringing my guitar as a carry on. On cruise dates our luggage costs alone usually rack up $3000 in charges we have to recoup from whomever is paying us (keyboards!!!!) Obviously I never WANT to check anything, but it's going to have to happen at some point I think. I just hope the G-tour is up to task against airport luggage handlers (is anything up to that task?)

Thanks for the insights! I meant by flying would you feel confident (enough) checking it as opposed to carrying it on? Most airlines we use don't charge for checked luggage until it exceeds 50lbs, which I will be well under. If I choose to try to carry on, I will go with a soft case, and hope like heck they don't make me valet-check it. Plus, the charges for our overweight items are recouped anyway, so it's not really out-of-pocket for me, I'm just trying to reduce how much I'm carrying on considering I'm already bringing my guitar as a carry on. On cruise dates our luggage costs alone usually rack up $3000 in charges we have to recoup from whomever is paying us (keyboards!!!!) Obviously I never WANT to check anything, but it's going to have to happen at some point I think. I just hope the G-tour is up to task against airport luggage handlers (is anything up to that task?)

It is an incredibly heavy duty case and can be locked. It would probably survive the trip although I have literally watched the luggage handlers drop my bag 25 feet to the ground while loading it into the cargo hold of the plane; not sure if it would survive that. If you are really concerned about it maybe you should consider an even more hard core case from Pelican or G-Tour or whoever.  Perhaps one made out of molded plastic instead of plywood. I would definitely have a backup unit of some kind as well as insuring it and have my presets backed up on a laptop in case you needed to buy another one and have it sent to the nearest port. But you sound experienced with the cruise thing so you probably already considered that.

A full Helix backup, holy moly! I will actually just carry a couple of OD/DIST pedals and the trusty Zoom MS70-CDR in which I have presets stored for the entire show, even though I have to bend over and change things throughout the show this way. At least the "backup" rig will take up only the space that a spare pair of jeans would in my regular luggage, and cost a whole lot less to replace if they get lost. I will insure the Helix, hope the G-tour survives, and hope I don't have to go back to the ibuprofen infused back-bending that I'm currently doing. Thanks for all the responses, it's a lot of food for thought!

... I would definitely have a backup unit of some kind ...

A full Helix backup, holy moly! ...

You will notice I said "a backup unit of some kind", not a "full Helix backup", chuckle, that is definitely out of my tax bracket. Backing up your presets on a laptop is a good idea though.

P.S., how the heck do I get the posting or portion of the post that I'm responding to to show up in MY post. Man I'm an idiot!

You can use the Quote button for one response, or use MultiQuote for multiple responses.  A lot of people have trouble getting it to work in Internet Explorer. I use Chrome.

Did you have to remove some foam to make this work? I see interior dimensions for this printed as only 3" high.

It fits without removing foam as long as you pack the case's included pedal board separately.  You will have to remove some foam if you want to pack the pedalboard inside the case along with the Helix.

You will notice I said "a backup unit of some kind", not a "full Helix backup", chuckle, that is definitely out of my tax bracket.

Exactly my problem, haha! I just hope the ships mostly have a spare powered monitor of reasonable quality that I can use so I don't have to monitor the Helix through my regular wedge. Haven't encountered this yet but I can get our production manager to find out what's available in advance so I know what to be prepared for. I'm excited and nervous about the whole thing, I'm old and don't like change, tell me it's gonna be ok!