Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Carrying case or bag

jyanes

Exactly my problem, haha! I just hope the ships mostly have a spare powered monitor of reasonable quality that I can use so I don't have to monitor the Helix through my regular wedge. Haven't encountered this yet but I can get our production manager to find out what's available in advance so I know what to be prepared for. I'm excited and nervous about the whole thing, I'm old and don't like change, tell me it's gonna be ok!

'Sokay (spoken like one of the characters on "The Sopranos")! If worse comes to worse you can always mime, tap dance, and tell sordid stories from your youth.

On a side note, on stateside fly dates I've been using a Pedaltrain Pro w/hard case, toting 14-15 pedals and weighing in at nearly 80lbs, so "heavy" is a relative term for me in these discussions. On a few dates I was halfway hoping the airline WOULD lose that monstrosity.

• Upvote 1

It is a little tight zipping it up but at this price it works very well.

You guys who are considering this may also note that on Amazon all of the bad reviews are not actually of the 25 key backpack, but of "similar" carrying cases. Amazon has a tendency to lump reviews together like this. I also noticed one reviewer stating that he was able to take it on board an airplane, which has me rubbing my whiskers. I suspect that this case (like any other) should hold up for a while with a little TLC. I routinely (purposely) break off the zipper pulls of my cases and replace them with key rings. Works like a charm and they never break.

It is a little tight zipping it up but at this price it works very well.

There are definitely cheaper options than a mono gag but I can promise you that in most, if not all cases, the mono will be superior in build quality. The rivets alone on gone mono ate sturdier than any bag I case out there. I is think vinyl, real heavy padding and star sturdy stitching.

That said if money is an issue people are sharing a few fine looking products, including the Line 6 backpack. I would still buy my mono again.

There are definitely cheaper options than a mono gag but I can promise you that in most, if not all cases, the mono will be superior in build quality. The rivets alone on gone mono ate sturdier than any bag I case out there. I is think vinyl, real heavy padding and star sturdy stitching.

That said if money is an issue people are sharing a few fine looking products, including the Line 6 backpack. I would still buy my mono again.

Agreed, but between the Line 6 and the Mono, at only $20 difference it sorta comes down to tight-fit backpack vs decent fit carry-case. I think Mono anything will hold up longer, but not having seen the Line 6 backpack I have no room to judge.

Agreed, but between the Line 6 and the Mono, at only $20 difference it sorta comes down to tight-fit backpack vs decent fit carry-case. I think Mono anything will hold up longer, but not having seen the Line 6 backpack I have no room to judge.

It is definitely down to preference of style. I will say that if versatility is big, then the Line 6 backpack has to be the winner from what I have seen. It can be a backpack or carry bag. I won't go into my dislike of backpack stuff. Ha ha. If people back I bought the Studio Slips cover for my Helix. It makes the mono a perfect fit and I like having the cover on it in case some paint decides to let their kid play around the stage.

It is definitely down to preference of style. I will say that if versatility is big, then the Line 6 backpack has to be the winner from what I have seen. It can be a backpack or carry bag. I won't go into my dislike of backpack stuff. Ha ha. If people back I bought the Studio Slips cover for my Helix. It makes the mono a perfect fit and I like having the cover on it in case some paint decides to let their kid play around the stage.

Haha, I'm not a fan of backpacks, but with lots of flying and seemingly ALWAYS being at the furthest gate from security, I had to embrace them. Throw in a bad shoulder and backpacking looks a lot sweeter. I ordered the G-tour case but I know I will want a "local" bag also, as well as something I can carry on to s plane when necessary. I have both the flight case and the soft bag for the Pedaltrain Pro currently, and at 80 and 60 pounds respectively, ANYTHING is gonna make happy at this point. The only downside will be playing cruises, where now I carry a significantly scaled-down Pedaltrain Jr, which fits perfectly under an airline seat. I would probably go with either the Mono ($$$) or the Novation (:-) cases simply because they look easier to fit in an overhead bin. I'll already have my guitar on my back, so I could go either way on the bag.
  • Upvote 1

FYI; if you search molded Rifle cases on Amazon. You can probably find something that is damn close at 1/4 of the price. Some have preslotted foam cubes that easily come out instead of having to cut so that it looks clean and custom formed to your unit. I haven't 100% decided yet on what I want to do but this is another option. Some even have wheels and the retractable handle. 

Here's one for $60...doesn't have the wheels but you can accommodate some extra pedals, accessories too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00G9QOBX6/ref=pd_sim_200_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TFfftJoWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0W7F5GT9189P0J28ARMG

FYI; if you search molded Rifle cases on Amazon. You can probably find something that is damn close at 1/4 of the price. Some have preslotted foam cubes that easily come out instead of having to cut so that it looks clean and custom formed to your unit. I haven't 100% decided yet on what I want to do but this is another option. Some even have wheels and the retractable handle. 

Here's one for $60...doesn't have the wheels but you can accommodate some extra pedals, accessories too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00G9QOBX6/ref=pd_sim_200_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TFfftJoWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0W7F5GT9189P0J28ARMG

This might be an excellent option if it fits. Don't get this one, I tried and it does not fit the Helix, http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-6500SN-Tactical-Ar-Case/dp/B00C3MFDKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455749251&sr=8-1&keywords=Tactical+Ar+Case+-+Ar+by+Flambeau

I went with this...... gator g-mix 12x24.

http://line6.com/support/topic/16319-found-a-helix-case/

look at evilbert420's post with pics

then I bought a cheap harbor freight "metal" case for cables (audio and power and extention cords), di, mics, etc. Also I hate wrapping a cord in any form besides a circle, it makes bends that don't lay flat.

+1 Great review on the Gator G-Tour LGW case!  I also purchased this one, very happy with it and feel a lot better knowing my Helix is well protected. You are right, the fit feels like it could damage the knobs when the tray is left in the case. The tray was actually one of the most compelling features of this case to me. The tray keeps the bottom of the Helix up off carpeted floors for better cooling and less risk of exposure to spills or wet spots,  the tray handles and slightly extra height help protect if from other people's feet. I carry the tray separately to the gig right now. I am going to use the height added by the tray (as it sits in the case) or slightly less as the guide for how much foam to cut out, as the fit is pretty snug without the tray. Going to err on the side of cutting out less rather than more, easier to cut twice than glue foam back in (although I know any self-respecting carpenter would tell me to "measure twice, cut once"). This seems to be a really solidly constructed case and the modification for the tray appears to be extremely simple as you only have to trim the four braces you referred to rather than a large square of foam.

How did you get on with trimming the foam on this case? I've just ordered one. Do you have any photos of how much you cut off? Thanks

How did you get on with trimming the foam on this case? I've just ordered one. Do you have any photos of how much you cut off? Thanks

Sorry for the double post. I was wondering the same thing because I have one on order also. It seems that the insert is "tilted" so you may only have to trim the two rear foam pieces, allowing the Helix to sit level. I am hoping this is the case, because I would still like to store a few things underneath the unit if possible.

For the time being and because I was in a jam, I ended up going with a standard 25/26" rolling luggage.  It's very square and there is a totally separate compartment that is plenty big for my mic, a spare XLR cable, my bass and my guitar cables, back up 1/4" instrument cables, xtra power strip, and the wire harness I made for the helix that has power, 1/4" Out (Instrument in to my bass amp) and XLR out ( Direct to FOH for my guitar). My guitar/ bass bag is a double so that's my backpack. Its not quite one trip but close.  I am going to look for one that is similar to the design of the one I have but maybe a bit smaller.

For the time being and because I was in a jam, I ended up going with a standard 25/26" rolling luggage. It's very square and there is a totally separate compartment that is plenty big for my mic, a spare XLR cable, my bass and my guitar cables, back up 1/4" instrument cables, xtra power strip, and the wire harness I made for the helix that has power, 1/4" Out (Instrument in to my bass amp) and XLR out ( Direct to FOH for my guitar). My guitar/ bass bag is a double so that's my backpack. Its not quite one trip but close. I am going to look for one that is similar to the design of the one I have but maybe a bit smaller.

I had considered a similar setup at one point. I ultimately decided that I needed a hard case regardless. I do a lot of flying and I fear that at some point I am going to have to check the unit. I am definitely going to try to carry it on, but since I will already have a guitar I am sure that I will get a little bit of a sideways attitude from the airline. Since they "have" to let me bring the guitar as a carry-on, I think I'm going to throw a Tech 21 RK5 FlyRig in my guitar bag as a backup system. Worst case scenario, the Helix gets lost in transit but I still have a backup plan.

Sorry for the double post. I was wondering the same thing because I have one on order also. It seems that the insert is "tilted" so you may only have to trim the two rear foam pieces, allowing the Helix to sit level. I am hoping this is the case, because I would still like to store a few things underneath the unit if possible.

Sorry, no photos. Just use a good sharp utility knife. You only have to cut the four foam posts. Keep in mind that the tray is tilted so it is taller in the back then in the front.  If you have any doubts on your measurements, cut less, and then go back and adjust.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a closeout Road Cases USA case/pedalboard. $119 closeout w. free shipping. The 24" one for $109 would fit better, but I'm leaving room for an additional Mission expression pedal. Bottom tray is the perfect width for the Helix.

http://www.roadcases...ctory-closeout/

Love it!!!

Just a few velcro pieces on the bottom to keep it in place. Also installed a 3" piece of soft foam for the lid to keep it all snug.

For giggin', set it down, unlatch it, plug it in, and it's ready to go. Takes me about 30 seconds.

post-1265446-0-87887500-1457371074_thumb.jpg

post-1265446-0-28487300-1457371143_thumb.jpg

I am looking for a case much like the one by RoadCases or Thon (they are in Germany and it doesn't look like they ship to USA).

I want the Helix to be able to stay in the bottom part of the case so that it is protected from drunk people and my singer (who dropped an entire drink in a glass container right next to my POD HD 500 at our last show).  

The only other thing I would like is to have room for my Relay G50 wireless receiver either at the top or side.  Any ideas?  Here's what I have found, most options seem to be just a few inches short one way or the other.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockcase-Warwick-Aluminum-Large-Pedalboard/dp/B000960KU0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1457455362&sr=8-14&keywords=pedalboard+cases

I removed the 4 screws holding the rubber feet in the corners and replaced them with 4 metric screws the same size, but longer -- long enough to allow me to attached to 1/2" clear pine cleats to the bottom of the Helix (with washers). The cleats are colored flat black so they disappear. I then set everything into a pedalboard roadcase with a lift off top (see attached photo). There are wood screws with trim washers that reach up from underneath the roadcase and hold the cleats to the roadcase. 

So what is the brand of case you are using and what are the dimensions?  Also, does it have rubber or PVC feet under so that it does not slip?

Thanks!

It's 32"x16" from http://www.roadcasesusa.com/effect-pedal-cases-1-4-light-duty-ata-3-great-sizes-starting-99/ It doesn't come with rubber feet, and I chose not to add them because they catch on everything when packing in and out. I have at least 4 different boards from these folks with no rubber feet and I've not had any problems with them moving around (and I play out several times weekly on a variety of stage surfaces -- wood, concrete, vinyl, carpet). I have more problems with some small ancillary pedal boards that hold specialty pedals that I only use occasionally. However, to keep the little boards from moving, I use that "no slip" foam rubber product that's sold to keep throw rugs from moving. I just cut it to fit my smaller boards and just lay it underneath them. The same thing could be done for a larger board.

The Helix carrying bag is now available. They are going for $149.99. Very sturdy and padded on the inside. The backpack straps make it easy to carry and they will fit overhead on planes. I've taken mine on several flights already.

Got my case from Thomann today. Light, sturdy , has a bit of space for 'bits' in the front.

I can definetly approve this!!! In the back of the case (that just fits perfectly) there is also room for additional cables and inear headphones and so on. I also plan to build a small patch bay (in die cast box or 19" rack panel) so structure the different INs and OUTs and take care of them so they will not die in the future (this might be a problem that no one knows now).