Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Carrying case or bag

jyanes

I wanted to come back and agree with an earlier poster about the best way to customize the G-Tour LGW case for the Helix. This case comes with a very nice pedal board but the Helix and the pedalboard do not fit in the stock case.  You will have to remove a bit of foam. DO NOT cut the stiffer foam posts as was earlier suggested by myself and others (my sincere apologies regarding that), the foam you want to remove is the soft foam in the top half of the case. SirChipAlot suggested cutting only the soft foam for a different case earlier in this topic and as it turns out this is actually the correct way to customize the G-Tour case as well!  The soft foam is attached to the case by velcro so it is easy to pull out, cut, and then reposition. Just take a scissor and cut the foam lengthwise, I cut 4 rows (by "row" I mean those raised bumps in the foam).  After the cut you are going to want to position the large piece of trimmed foam towards the bottom bottom of half of the lid so that it does not crush the raised/highest part of the Helix. You can save the trimmed piece in the event that you ever repurpose the case (it will stick right back in due to the velcro). You can now place the Helix on top of the pedalboard in the case (with room for cables or even additional low profile pedals in the cavity below the pedalboard). The fit is snug and I have not had the Helix move around.

This is a very high quality case, with sturdy hardware, it is a bit on the heavy side but not terrible. It comes with wheels and a pedalboard that is just big enough for the Helix to fit on. So if you want a board big enough to accommodate extra pedals this is not the best choice. Personally, my goal was to get my sound through the Helix alone, without having to worry about patching in additional pedals. If I decide to add pedals down the line, I will just park them next to the board. However, the pedalboard is great, it has handles that make it easy to move around and help protect the Helix and it keeps the bottom vent and chassis of the Helix off of carpeting for better cooling and less possible exposure to spills or wet floors. The pedalboard is slightly inclined so it gives the Helix a bit more of a slant. I am very happy with this case although I can see the virtue of the backpack as well for easy stuffing into an overhead bin on an airplane or for carrying up a flight of stairs. As well padded as it appears to be, my only reservation with the backpack was that I wanted a hard case to protect the Helix's screen no matter how clumsily someone loaded up the equipment. I can see myself potentially purchasing the backpack at some point as well.

Yesterday my Thomann case arrived.  :)

Basis is the Thomann Helix case with additional space for the Mission Line6 Expression Pedal.

thumb_IMG_0254_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0176_1024.jpg

Is there a link for this one? This is what I'm looking for; I have a few more pedals in addition to my helix. 

@greekjgg

You have to get in contact with Thomann guitar department by e-mail. gitarre@thomann.de

Refere to this case and ask for a custom case with extra space for the pedals you have.

http://www.thomann.de/de/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm?ref=search_rslt_helix_375295_2

They will give you the final price and you have to pay before they start production.

Unfortunately it takes about 4 weeks from order to shipment. :(

• Upvote 1

I can wait 4 weeks if it fits all my gear perfect!

What did it cost you with the additional space? 

@greekjgg

You have to get in contact with Thomann guitar department by e-mail. gitarre@thomann.de

Refere to this case and ask for a custom case with extra space for the pedals you have.

http://www.thomann.de/de/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm?ref=search_rslt_helix_375295_2

They will give you the final price and you have to pay before they start production.

Unfortunately it takes about 4 weeks from order to shipment. :(

I think this is a nice solution too: the UDG Urbanite MIDI Controller Backpack Medium (U7201BL). Comes included with internal padding to make a nice fit. It has three additional zipped pockets to store e.g. a tablet/laptop/sheet music, cables and a few pedals.

cd8c20540ac54e0eeab02ca96cd53470.jpg

7b3b7b3809a3301fd9f56bd9893a0521.jpg

e1fb762b921d93569a2b7ea26e062c70.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the UDG bags and so far the medium backback seems the closest fit - maybe a little too close?

The width and depth measurements are exactly the same as Helix, so probably no extra padding can be added.

What's interesting is that the medium size flight bag has only 53 cm width vs medium backpacks 56 cm - maybe a typo?

Suspecting it because EdwinV here seems to have a medium flight bag and it fits nicely:

http://line6.com/support/topic/15916-carrying-case-or-bag/page-5?do=findComment&comment=146572

Backpack - medium

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U7201BL.pdf

56 cm x 37 cm x 9 cm

Flight Bag - medium

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U7001BL.pdf

53 cm x 34 cm x 9 cm

Flight Bag - large

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U7002BL.pdf

70 cm x 40 cm x 11 cm

Hard Case - large

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U8302BL.pdf

59.3 cm x 35.3 cm x 9 cm

Just an update. Sorry for the long post. I took the Helix on a cruise ship gig in the Gator LGW hard case and it survived Delta Airlines, American Airlines, and a TSA inspection. I was sweating bullets! I have the case pretty heavily modified however. I made some blocks to fill in the spaces on the left and right side of the case out of styrofoam wrapped in duct tape, and I actually did cut down the interior foam posts on the bottom of the case so the Helix would sit more level. I regret that slightly, but it leaves me room for all the bubble wrap. I tried as best I could to apocalypse-proof it, but I still noticed that my styrofoam pieces were dented when I opened it on the ship. Flier beware, lol, the baggage handlers could break an iron dumbbell! As for performance, I ran through a Roland keyboard amp cuz that's what was available, and also kept my guitar out of my wedge, which is just my preference. With a little treble attenuation, it was great. Unfortunately, our FOH "engineer" (and I use this term lightly) could not be convinced that running a direct line was the way to go, and insisted (in typical cruise ship "language-barrier speak") on using an SM57 on the keyboard amp. Frustrating! I was, for the first time, in tone heaven in "guitar world" on my side of the stage, but everyone else, including the theater crowd, was getting the SM57 feed. I will absolutely stick to my guns next time and insist on a direct feed, and I would suggest all you other guys do as well if you encounter a FOH knucklehead like this guy. As the drummer said when he stood next to me while I was warming up, "Sounds great right here, in my in-ears it sounds like s*#%!"

Helix backup worked great this morning. Backpack style works pretty good for the morning worship gig. The Helix is a tight fit but I do like the top drop in option. Works well with the front pouch for any extras. Small pouch was good for the in-ear gear.

Picts attached. Very solid construction. Will add the top handle was a nice touch. Grabbed it several times this morning trying to get out the building.

I just got my Helix backpack, and man that thing is a tight fit. I really have to work the Helix to get it in and all zipped up. Does it loosen up over time?

Is this an issue for you or anyone else?

I'm almost considering returning it and finding something else.

I like the pics posted of the Gator G-Mix-L 1224.

What's interesting is that the medium size flight bag has only 53 cm width vs medium backpacks 56 cm - maybe a typo?

Suspecting it because EdwinV here seems to have a medium flight bag and it fits nicely:

http://line6.com/support/topic/15916-carrying-case-or-bag/page-5?do=findComment&comment=146572

Backpack - medium

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U7201BL.pdf

56 cm x 37 cm x 9 cm

Flight Bag - medium

https://www.udggear.com/productfotos/pdf/U7001BL.pdf

53 cm x 34 cm x 9 cm

I have the UDG Urbanite MIDI Controller Backpack Medium (U7201BL), not the Flight Bag. I don't think the Flight Bag will fit the Helix, but haven't tried. It might be a typo, but it seems a bit unlikely.

If that case works then perhaps their 12x24 hard case will work too.

That's what I use. Also, the 20x30 provides enough room (for me) for additional items/exp pedals. Added plus, both have wheels and are pretty light, yet strong and offer great protection. BTW - I do not work for Gator...

http://www.gatorcases.com/c/210109/standard-mixer-cases

I have the UDG Urbanite MIDI Controller Backpack Medium (U7201BL), not the Flight Bag. I don't think the Flight Bag will fit the Helix, but haven't tried. It might be a typo, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Thanks for clearing that up, I misread or just looked at the images and mistakenly thought it was a flight bag.

So how has it worked out for you, quality OK, any regrets about the backpack?

Are the top and bottom (the large faces) just padded or is there something stiff, like a cardboard inside too? I have concerns about the pots, as if it's just a soft padding, they might get some occasional bumps from handling.

Maybe too early to tell...

I just got my Helix backpack, and man that thing is a tight fit. I really have to work the Helix to get it in and all zipped up. Does it loosen up over time?

Is this an issue for you or anyone else?

I'm almost considering returning it and finding something else.

I like the pics posted of the Gator G-Mix-L 1224.

I have been using it for a while, it has gotten much easier to load.  Opposite to some, I put the expression pedal in first, it seems to add the bulk to the bottom.  But still very pleased with the backpack.  I was going to get a fixed board to connect my Mission Pedal permanent, but I just been carrying it in the front pouch.

I have been using it for a while, it has gotten much easier to load. Opposite to some, I put the expression pedal in first, it seems to add the bulk to the bottom. But still very pleased with the backpack. I was going to get a fixed board to connect my Mission Pedal permanent, but I just been carrying it in the front pouch.

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah it definitely starts to fit better. The bag wasn't available when I first got the Helix so I bought the Gator G-tour pedalboard case with wheels that worked really good with it. I just like throwing the Helix on my shoulders and going. So if anyone is in need of a Helix case and is in the Stockton area let me know. It's still brand new, but I can't justify owning both.

Thanks for clearing that up, I misread or just looked at the images and mistakenly thought it was a flight bag.

So how has it worked out for you, quality OK, any regrets about the backpack?

Are the top and bottom (the large faces) just padded or is there something stiff, like a cardboard inside too? I have concerns about the pots, as if it's just a soft padding, they might get some occasional bumps from handling.

Maybe too early to tell...

I think the quality is good and I think it fits nicely. I'm not too sure how well the backpack will hold in the rain. Top and bottom seem to be padding (probably some kind of foam I guess). I'm not too concerned about the pots, but one has to handle it with (at least some) care. It's definitely not a flight case.

I got the Mono M80 case because I love me a good Mono case but there's so much extra room inside... what are people filling that space with? The ideal case should be a good, snug fit for maximum protection, I don't like it sliding around like that. The case they used to sell with the PT1 at Guitar Center is practically a perfect fit but that board was a GC exclusive and they don't even make it anymore, as far as I can tell.

UDG CREATOR CONTROLLER HARDCASE  L

50EUR or 56USD 

fits perfectly

Where did you see that price? Their site shows it as €69.95, about $79, on eBay about $70.

When they say it's a hard case, would you think it'd do ok in an equipment truck, like with stuff on top of it?

Where did you see that price? Their site shows it as €69.95, about $79, on eBay about $70.

When they say it's a hard case, would you think it'd do ok in an equipment truck, like with stuff on top of it?

I wouldn't place my Helix in that 'padded cell' !

71Xh3jNq7rL._SL256_.jpg

im from slovakia price is about 50eur in local shops

http://www.profi-dj.sk/dj-technika/midi-kontrolery/obaly-na-midi-kontrolery/udg-creator-controller-hardcase-large-black/

its tough but not like hard case

I picked up the 28x14x6" case with a lift-out board from Road Case USA http://www.roadcasesusa.com/categories/Effect-Pedal-Cases/

oFQI5TF.jpg

axur7QW.jpg

No Helix, yet (It's coming Tuesday, and I'm just beside myself with anticipation), but the case itself seems really well made. The board has a slight warp in it, though  <_<  Going to wait until I actually have the unit on the board to see if the weight will help alleviate it. If not, I'll be contacting the company to see what they say. 

Also, first post. Hey, everybody  :D

• 1 month later...

BASS PLAYER, A bit messy with the cables but its getting there, 40''x20''x6''.
13335985_10201809385872765_5753790478980

13346572_10201809388992843_6335996285849

13393982_10201809388552832_5877869095015

Love that light strip you set up around the pedalboard. Makes things easier to see and probably helps avoid people stepping on it. What did you use for the lighting.

• 3 weeks later...