Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Carrying case or bag

jyanes

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was wondering about the ventilation holes on the underside of the Helix. At gigs I would like to keep the Helix in the case for some protection from band members and stage invaders, the extra depth is ideal to protect the leads and generally less kickable alround. I presume the feet on the Helix sink into the foam padding and the sides are snug, restricting any or all airflow? Do you think overheating could be a problem, the manual does state 'Do not block any ventilation openings' ? This case looks perfect for me otherwise.

Hi, for me too this one seems the best solution: I gig a lot during summer as I live near Senigallia (in Italy) and there are a lot of seasonal events on the seaside; the downside is that sometimes the floor is not properly "clean", some sand when you play those gigs is something to reckon, not to mention the risk of some accidental beer on the floor.

My need is for a hard-case that not only protects the Helix during transport, but also a case that I can leave the Helix into while playing... and with the Tohn there is a bonus, because with the contoured padding cut for Helix there is non need to fix the board to the bottom of the case... so on the biggest and safest stages, I can simply remove it and put on the floor.

Now, the downside: here is hot during summer months, and I'm not sure that padding on the bottom of the case is safe... from the photos I can't see if the bottom of the Helix is sufficiently raised by her rubber foots, lefting some space between the vents and the padding on the bottom, or if the padding will touch again those vents blocking them.

Is there someone that has both to confirm this? And, eventually, can the padding be removed partially in correspondence of the vents to left the air freely flow?

Thanks a lot,

Lory

P.S. Any info on the construction quality and resistance will be also appreciated :-)

I just acquired the Line 6 backpack, and am pleased with it.  It need not be used as a backpack, as the straps can be concealed in a compartment where they are out of the way, and there are conventional carrying handles on the side and top of the case.  The Helix fits perfectly, as you'd expect, and there are two external compartments which are big enough for my iPad and the Bluetooth pedal I use with the it, XLR cables to connect the unit to the mixer, the AC cable, and even a little more.  While I'd prefer the protection level of a flight case, in practical terms I don't actually need anything more than a padded enclosure like the backpack, and I appreciate the lighter weight, extra storage, and option of using the backpack straps when circumstances dictate.  

I just acquired the Line 6 backpack, and am pleased with it.  It need not be used as a backpack, as the straps can be concealed in a compartment where they are out of the way, and there are conventional carrying handles on the side and top of the case.  The Helix fits perfectly, as you'd expect, and there are two external compartments which are big enough for my iPad and the Bluetooth pedal I use with the it, XLR cables to connect the unit to the mixer, the AC cable, and even a little more.  While I'd prefer the protection level of a flight case, in practical terms I don't actually need anything more than a padded enclosure like the backpack, and I appreciate the lighter weight, extra storage, and option of using the backpack straps when circumstances dictate.

+1

I've even thought about checking the helix knapsack - I do think that it would protect it well enough, but I'd probably put it in one of those motorcycle wet-sacks just to keep my Helix gig bag looking so swanky!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice case suggestions, thinking I'll have to get a custom $$$ built case (if all works out with helix), for I still have my loopers and whammy (seeing as the helix wham just doesn't cut the mustard - with my heavy use of 5ths) so needing 40+'' by like 20+''

2nimpeg.jpg

i know i know i've gone loopy..

I get it - sometimes it's just hard to let go#?!

• 4 weeks later...

I got the Warwick Rockcase RC23010B recently.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc_23010b_effect_pedal_case.htm

It's probably not as sturdy as the one sold specifically for the Helix, but it doesn't look like it's gonna fall apart anytime soon.

It also comes with just a thin layer of fabric (sort of the fuzzy side of velcro) at the bottom, no foam padding.

But it's LIGHT, and that's what sold it to me. It's a great fit (same size or very close to the Thomann case mentioned above), in less than half an hour I cut out the necessary spacers from some packing foam I had laying around, but almost only for decoration, as the top of the case has good padding that holds the Helix perfectly in place by itself.

For two rehearsals a week, two gigs a month, I don't think I need more.

• 1 year later...

Hi

i'm looking to get a case for my Helix control and one Mission pedal.
I'm torn between the Pedaltrain Classic 2 and the Gator G-Tour large

What you guys do to make sure the controller and the mission pedal won't move?

I was thinking on removing the rubber feet at the bottom of the control and get longer screws and bolt it to either board

Anyone care to let me know?

I'm set on these two boards

thanks,
C

Was wondering about the ventilation holes on the underside of the Helix. At gigs I would like to keep the Helix in the case for some protection from band members and stage invaders, the extra depth is ideal to protect the leads and generally less kickable alround. I presume the feet on the Helix sink into the foam padding and the sides are snug, restricting any or all airflow? Do you think overheating could be a problem, the manual does state 'Do not block any ventilation openings' ? This case looks perfect for me otherwise.

Can someone from Line 6 comment on this, please?  I have the backpack, and it's a GREAT transport/storage situation, but I would much prefer to have the Helix sit inside a bottom of some type while I'm on stage (protection from spillage, and protection of the jacks on the rear, etc...).  So something like a Thomman case would be ideal, but not if it is going to cause any heat-related damage from blocking ventilation ports.

Can someone from Line 6 comment on this, please? I have the backpack, and it's a GREAT transport/storage situation, but I would much prefer to have the Helix sit inside a bottom of some type while I'm on stage (protection from spillage, and protection of the jacks on the rear, etc...). So something like a Thomman case would be ideal, but not if it is going to cause any heat-related damage from blocking ventilation ports.

Hi, a few people are using the thon case same as mine with no problem. DI did state that it should be no problem and there is plenty of operating temperature headroom, most unlikely but could possibly have an operational issue if you had helix buried in a shagpile carpet on a ridiculously hot day in direct sunlight, though not damage. I took precaution and cut out a strip of foam for air flow, but i'm sure I was worrying unnecessarily.

Nearly 2 years now and the case is great

post-70767-0-97309100-1511744409_thumb.jpg

This made me laugh because when I fly and check my Pelican guitar case I'm constantly asked if it's a firearm....

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00E2217I6/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1511735344&sr=1-7&keywords=ar15+case

I'm using a gun case similar to this. 
Waterproof seal.. hardshell, room for cables, headphones, etc. 
Love it. 

91rRGEQz1SL._SL1500_.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have the Line 6 Helix Backpack. It's perfect, very well padded, well made and well designed. At its price point I couldn't fault it.

I have a Mono Vertigo guitar case too. It's spectacular quality and so I'm sure the M80 would be too, but it's much softer on the inside and while that works well for an instrument, I'd wonder if the weight/corners/feet of the Helix would tear it up.

This made me laugh because when I fly and check my Pelican guitar case I'm constantly asked if it's a firearm....

I can see that happening. I have wondered how long it will be before I am detained. lol

Either for the case, or my M-16 Hondo guitar with Dillinger case. :) 

• Upvote 1

I have a Gator gig box and simply used velcro to secure the Helix down to the removable board along with my wireless receiver. All cables are stored underneath, and the lid acts a guitar stand for 3 electrics and 1 acoustic.

The thing is big and heavy but solid as a rock and a well thought out all in one solution.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, mapletop said:

hi.i just got a Gator G-Tour Pedalboard LWG.ive read where you dont have to take the foam out of the top,then i read you have to cut it.what have you guys done to make it fit

What I did was to lift the foam out from the top, it is held in place by Velcro. Then just cut off enough foam lengthwise such that the knobs across the top and especially the large volume knob does not get pressure when the case is closed. You can use a scissor to do the cutting.  Removing  just a bit over 4" inches of foam for the entire length of the case - lengthwise did the trick for me. Then stick the large piece of foam that remains back to the velcro in the case. The rest of the foam keeps the Helix snug, it will not move around at all but now it will have room for the expression pedal and the row of knobs across the top won't get crushed. When you place the Helix in the case you just center it oriented with the highest part of the expression pedal and case under the no-foam gap above it. Works perfectly!

You can save the foam you cut away and Velcro it back in if you ever repurpose the case for another use. I suppose there might be a way to selectively cut out pieces from the foam but why bother. Just cutting the foam in one piece that would have crushed down the top row of knobs and expression pedal is quick and easy and allows you to pretty much restore the case to original condition should you ever want to. Good luck, that case is a tank, very sturdy and really protects the Helix well. Just don't let it apply pressure to that volume knob joystick assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Gorilla GC-MDJC Medium Case and it fits my Helix floor nicely. The width is bigger than on cases that are made for Helix but it protects the helix well and costs half of the price.

I thought about the Helix Bag but don't need it so often, that's why I was looking for a cheaper solution.

helix-case-01.jpg

helix-case-02.jpg