Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Voltage max for G30 TX

hogbob

Hello

I am hoping someone can answer...

I have stripped down my G30 transmitter and have built it into the cavity of my bass. It is working great...

However I will have to change the 2 x NiMh cells I have in the cavity as well as their performance (hours) are dropping

For reasons of weight vs. capacity I am considering fitting a single LiPo cell instead.

My trouble is that I havn't been able to find specs on the G30 TX with regards to maximum Voltage ... Manual only says "2 x Alkaline"

2 x Alkaline is 3,3 V brand new and without load ...One LiPo cell is 4,2V fresh from charger although the majority of the capacity is delivered at around 3,7V

So my question in short: Can a G30 transmitter handle 4,2 Volt ???

Might function for a while, but it will stress the regulating circuitry

and will eventually fail.

The reason for alkaline batteries "may" have to do with the

kind of memory chip used. Certain chips don't react well to

rechargeable type of batteries and can blank the memory.

I don't recall if that's the case with these, but I wouldn't risk it.

@psarkissian Are you saying using rechargeable batteries for a G30 versus regular alkaline batteries may cause me problems? Or is it simply because hogbob is using a higher voltage battery?????

Any information is appreciated since I use a G30 for all my gigs with rechargeable batteries...

Both.

Certain circuits don't do well with rechargeables. I've seen

(not so much with G30/50/90) devices that fail with rechargeables

in them that were so low, they were trying to run the circuit, to

where I was seeing minus voltages on the plus volt line.

The memory in those devices were blanked. Most memory IC chips,

that's not a concern, newer versions aren't a problem that way. But

just the same, I won't risk it. If the manual says to use Alkalines,

then I use Alkalines. Why risk it.

• 1 year later...

Did the same thing to my guitar.. placed the G30 relay inside the cavity about 2 years ago, and it works great!! To change the NiMh batteries though, I have to take the plate off. My google search brought me here because I'm changing the 2 AA batteries into one LiPo 3.7 volt battery and make a new plate that has a cut out for the one battery/holder.. so I don't have to remove the plate. The 3.7 voltage could be a problem, but I found that a 1N4001 Power Blocking Diode reduces the voltage by .7 volts and restricts the voltage to only one direction. The last post here was almost 2 years ago, but I will bookmark this page and return to report results.

• 5 weeks later...

what if one were to use a 14500 lithium cell. The voltage output is 3.7v and the cell is the same size as a AA battery.  The TBP12G pack receiver is supplied a max of 3V from x2 AA but that is probably not the maximum operating voltage of the unit. I would not think that an extra .7V would not pose a problems since most circuits have an operating voltage range (e.g. 3.3v to 5v) but i would make doubly sure by contacting line 6 to find the range of the unit.  It would be nice however to be able to use 1 battery and have another charging in your rack. I personally use 2 1450 cells to run my ghost system in my guitar and it last forever, it would be nice to use the same in my wireless packs. I have a charger set up in my rack draw that charges my batteries, its proven to be quite convenient.  

3V +/- 15%,... that is a standard of most regulator circuits used in the electronics industry.

So the max would be 3.45V. Stay within that range.

Not a good idea to mix-match battery types within a device. Not enough time or space here for me to explain why.

• 5 weeks later...

Reporting back from my previous post.. After 2 months of steady use, the change from 2 AA batteries to one LiPo 3.7 volt with the 1N4001 Power Blocking Diode works great!! The voltage starts at about 3.5 volts (instead of 4.2 volts) and lasts 5-6 hours. And, being so fast and easy to replace one battery without opening anything, is awesome!!! (compared to the 2 AA, opening/closing the fragile door, fumbling with 4 batteries - 2 in and 2 out)  I did find that when I get 2 bars on the G30, there's maybe 2 minutes left before G30 shuts down. Attached is a picture of my guitar back plate. 

post-423277-0-38327800-1504294480_thumb.jpg

Reporting back from my previous post.. After 2 months of steady use, the change from 2 AA batteries to one LiPo 3.7 volt with the 1N4001 Power Blocking Diode works great!! The voltage starts at about 3.5 volts (instead of 4.2 volts) and lasts 5-6 hours. And, being so fast and easy to replace one battery without opening anything, is awesome!!! (compared to the 2 AA, opening/closing the fragile door, fumbling with 4 batteries - 2 in and 2 out)  I did find that when I get 2 bars on the G30, there's maybe 2 minutes left before G30 shuts down. Attached is a picture of my guitar back plate. 

I just stumbled on this post. I was looking to use the G10 for the same purpose as you but it would seem the G30 is more practical in this case. Would you mind posting a picture of the inside your cavity? I am looking to see how small the unit can get by removing the case.

Thank you

I did not remove the case because it fit in the cavity. I made a 2AA battery dummy with power connections and the wires come out the side of the door. A cool thing for Line 6 to do would be to create the transmitter as small as possible that could be stuck on the inside of the back plate.. the battery needs a quick change (LiPo would be best), so maybe even make a new back plate for each guitar with a quick battery swap.

A cool thing for Line 6 to do would be to create the transmitter as small as possible that could be stuck on the inside of the back plate.. the battery needs a quick change (LiPo would be best), so maybe even make a new back plate for each guitar with a quick battery swap.

Something similar to the Fishman universal battery pack but with a L6 relay circuit would be excellent indeed. Something that could be easily installed on any guitar with decent cavity and a rechargeable battery ala G10. The plate should allow controlling the channel and ON/Off.

If I do not go with the G30 in my project, I might go with the G10. Channel selection and charging could be done using a TRS jack in the guitar that connects to the dock.