Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Editing Amps HD500X

musical1212

I noticed yesterday that Enter Sandman uses FS2 as a multi. What the multi does is not only turn off and on effects, it also changes amps. And while it is turning on certain effects, it is turning off others and vice versa. E.G.,

FS2 multi off
Reverb on
Chorus on
Screamer dist off
Noise gate off
Studio EQ off
Treadplate amp off
Blackface amp on

FS2 multi on
Reverb off
Chorus off
Screamer dist on
Noise gate on
Studio EQ on
Treadplate amp on
Blackface amp off

That is a pretty powerful one button push. You have to have your computer HD editor software connected to figure these things out. Then you can start figuring out what the originator of the patch fully had in mind.

Here is the weird part. When you unselect FX2, the patch does not pass the guitar signal. It is silent. If you go to amps and increase the BYP vol on the unselected amp, treadplate, from its default 0 to 100, the volume increases. It is a clean sound rather than distorted.

Also the BYP Vol changes to the unselected amp. It is never on the selected amp. How can adjusting the BYP Vol on the unselected amp pass signal for the selected amp? Why does BYP amp jump to the unselected amp? What is BYP Vol? It looks like patch 6A Pull Me Under (Dream Theater) out of the same set list has the same type issue. 

I don't know what patch (from custom tone) you use, so all I can doe is clarify some possible issues with this patch:

BYPvol stands for bypass volume, when an amp is switched off, you can decide how much clean signal is stll passed through the path, at zero it will be silent

It seems the patch you are talking about has the bypass volume set to zero

Now, path B will only get a signal if either input two was set to guitar of same or a mono effect is used before the spilt point. Please check this and if you cannot find a solution please upload the patch or tell me what patch for custom tone you are referring to and I will have a look.

I don't know what patch (from custom tone) you use, so all I can doe is clarify some possible issues with this patch:

The patches came from the recent 2.6 firmware upgrade. A whole new Set List of Variax sounds was created by Line 6 and both of these patches came from them so I would think that they are flawless. They are 02A Enter Sandman and 06A Pull Me Under. I zipped the two patches as it will not let you upload them with their 5xe extension.

Both these patches use 2 amps. It looks like the BYP vol moves to the unselected amp which wouldn't need to pass the signal. It is at 0% like you say but it passes tone when one amp is chosen and not when the other amp is selected. I am toggling the amps with FS2 which is assigned to multiple effects. I appreciate you looking at these patches for me.

entersandmanpullmeunder.zip

Ok, I tried to load the patches in HD edit. Both patches seem to work as one would expect, however there is an extreme difference in volume between the two paths on the ‘enter sandman’ patch, the treadplate volume is much loader than the blackface path and I had to raise the blackface channel volume from the initial 51% to over 80% to actually hear the amp properly. As for the ‘pull me under’ patch, no problems at all. Now I could only load these patched in HD edit but I cannot save them on the POD itself as then I get a DSP limit reached error ( I don’t have the ‘X’ version). So I made a similar patch to see if keeps working when I send it to my POD and it does.

Given the fact that, apart from the channel volume issue, both patches work over here. I also checked the mixer settings.  In the mixer both paths are centred and both volumes are at 0dB so that is OK.

So, It must be something else.  The only things that come to my mind now are physical issues such as faulty a cable or volume pedal accidently in the wrong position. Sorry I could not be of more help at this time.

​

Ok, I tried to load the patches in HD edit. Both patches seem to work as one would expect, however there is an extreme difference in volume between the two paths on the ‘enter sandman’ patch, the treadplate volume is much loader than the blackface path and I had to raise the blackface channel volume from the initial 51% to over 80% to actually hear the amp properly. As for the ‘pull me under’ patch, no problems at all. Now I could only load these patched in HD edit but I cannot save them on the POD itself as then I get a DSP limit reached error ( I don’t have the ‘X’ version). So I made a similar patch to see if keeps working when I send it to my POD and it does.

Given the fact that, apart from the channel volume issue, both patches work over here. I also checked the mixer settings.  In the mixer both paths are centered and both volumes are at 0dB so that is OK.

So, It must be something else.  The only things that come to my mind now are physical issues such as faulty a cable or volume pedal accidentally in the wrong position. Sorry I could not be of more help at this time.

​

For me, on the HD500X, when FS2 is deactivated, the signal is not allowed to pass. I am starting to think that the person who developed these patches for Line 6 made a mistake. In any event, when signal passes (F2 is activated), the creator of the patch did a wonderful job nailing the sound of the song the patch covered.

The patch has 2 amps available. Footswitch 2 is programmed to select one amp or the other amp. Why does the BYP Vol knob switch back and forth to the unselected amp? When FS2 is turned off, amp B is selected. Why is no volume is passed? 

You don't want volume passed. One is clean, one is dirty. If volume went through them both at the same time, you would have a clean and dirty sound at the same time.

I am seeing how the amps are selected one at a time. It looks like the author intended for the patch to be clean and dirty by alternating amps with FS2. My point is that the Enter Sandman patch referenced above only has a dirty sound upon recall. When FS2 is selected, no sound passed through the unit. I think the author made a mistake but I don't know enough to find it. 

I am seeing how the amps are selected one at a time. It looks like the author intended for the patch to be clean and dirty by alternating amps with FS2. My point is that the Enter Sandman patch referenced above only has a dirty sound upon recall. When FS2 is selected, no sound passed through the unit. I think the author made a mistake but I don't know enough to find it. 

Turns out I am using a Variax. When I assigned the Variax to input 2 source, as well as input 1 source, the clean sound commenced. Problem solved. Seems like there is an issue when you have both sources assigned to the same instrument. I will leave it this way for now. Thanks for all help.