Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - MIDI control - toggle confuse

tomasbr

Hi guys,

I'm facing some confusion you can help me sort out. I'm trying to interface HD500X with external MIDI controller.

HD500X can send FS push as MIDI message, and FX stomps can be controlled (enabled/disable) by external MIDI message.

Problem is, that these two things are not consistent, i.e. FS push keeps its own state. In reality it behaves like this:

- load preset, HD sends MIDI CC messages with values according to initial FS setup

- controller reads values (0/127) for FS and indicate status

- when using HD switches, controller responds with state toggle acordingly, BUT

- when you send MIDI CC to control FX stomp enable disable, HD responds with enable/disable and light indication AND

- on next FS push HD doesn't send actual FX stomp acitvation/deactivation, but opposite to the last state when FS has been pushed.

1. HD load and send CC 127 on enabled stomps

2. EXT controller receives messages, saves states, indicate on/off

3. push HD FS - HD sends CC 0 (on FX disable), HD turns LED off, EXT controller disables LED indication, sets internal state to 0

4. push EXT controller, it sends CC 127 -> trying to enable FX stomp, HD receives CC, enables FX and light up LED

5. push HD FS - HD disables FX stomp, but SEND CC 127!!!!

= controlling FX on/off isn't consistent when using both controllers

Any ideas how to solve this strange behavior? What I need is, that both controllers are with sync.

Thanks a lot

Regards

T. 

MIDI SEND and MIDI RECEIVE are separate functions. What the HD SENDS via MIDI is not related to what it does when it is CONTROLLED by MIDI. Two separate worlds. The SEND MIDI function will remember what it last sent REGARDLESS of what you tell that FS to do via external controller. Also, whether the FS SENDS 0 or 127 has no bearing on the LED status. If you SAVE the preset with that FS ON, it makes no matter what you've set the FS to SEND.

I use this behavior to create a faux 2 way communication between the HD and software amp sims. I save the preset in the sim with desired fx on or off, then I put dummy fx (noise gates) in the HD's fx blocks, set ON (LED LIT) or OFF (LED OFF) to correspond to the sw fx states when the sw preset loads. I then set the MIDI values on the HD's pedals (ON/OFF) that I want to send when I use the HD to select the sw preset (via HD default Program Change). SW FX saved ON, HD sends ON with Program Change, next press of the corresponding pedal sends OFF. SW fx SAVED OFF, HD sends OFF with Program Change, next press of the corresponding pedal sends ON, The LEDs on the HD reflect the status of the sw fx not because there's any true interaction, it's just the way they're saved with the HD Preset.

So, to answer your question directly, no, there's no way (I know of) to do what you're trying to do.