Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix reviews please!

capdoogie

Let's here from the working guitarist, live band situations on this forum (not bedroom players nit picking things to death). How's it sound on stage? Ease of use? Tone? What are you running it thru. Amp, frfr. I have had the dream rig, amplify150, on and on. Now looking for good news on the Helix.

• Downvote 1

I think you're gonna have to wait a bit. The 6 guys who've had them delivered so far just opened the boxes 11 minutes ago...

cruisinon2 you hit the nail on the head... I'm not taking this thing to a gig until I've put it through all the ringers.  I'll still have a backup rig ready to go at the first show (just in case!).

I got mine today and I've been playing with it since I got home around 6:00pm.  Running it through my PA and my DT25 to hear the tones through both. The loss of Line 6 Link to control the amp's topology is a major bummer.  For now I'm just running it like you would with any other amp.  I will say that the line level presets going through my PA are pretty impressive for direct into FOH.  some neat stuff... but tons more to explore and work on.  Still not sure if I could switch from an Amp over to a Full Range monitor and be happy on stage...  The overtones are just not singing through the full range like they do with an amp.  But to be fair to Line 6, I haven't worked through all the variables yet, so who knows.  I can say that the UI is really cool to work with and the Helix seems really flexible for routing and also for controlling signal levels through the various output options.  Only time will tell the full story...

• Upvote 1

It is great that those first impressions are positively good and I for one appreciate the reviews.

The Aussie dollar is starting to improve too which will help get my unit sooner rather than later,

but not right now unfortunately.

This feedback is welcome from new users I assure you! Cheers

Got mine yesterday. Build wise this thing is a work of art! Solid as a rock, although the volume pot seems to have some wiggle in it while the headphone volume does not (a couple others have reported this as well). Last night I just ran it direct into my egnater vengeance "return" loop. Obviously the full models of amps/cabs didn't sound as good as they could've because of how I was running it it when I switched to preamps only, wow! I was impressed with the majority of them. From the cleaner fenders to the full on Mesa and bogners they sounded very very realistic. I'm still trying to get a delay sound that I'm happy with though. I don't know if it's how I'm running it but they all sounded "washed out" if that makes sense. Now with the headphones the delays sounded much much better however the amp models sounded brittle. It probably is from the fact of running through headphones although I have a very nice (expensive) set of AKG studio headphones. I only had about an hour and a half to mess with it so don't take this as a definitive review Overall I'm impressed and will have zero regret selling my G system. I know it's only going to get better the more familiar I get with it.

Just going through the factory set lists the Helix is incredibly responsive to playing style and different Variax models.  I really look forward to them coming up with a Variax setlists (if they do)  The templates are killer way to start!  I haven't done much of my own setups yet but my fingers hurt just from running the factory setlists.  The clean amps are excellent and the whole feel of this unit is Jaw dropping.  Really looking forward to transposing my HD500X patches over to the Helix, I just don't know where to start!

I have been running it via the headphone out into an amplify 75.  Again incredibly responsive and very easy to navigate.  The Mode button is one of the best things ever and I love the fact that you can either have a view of 8 patches at a time and then be able to use and switch up to 8 effects.  The thing is also a tank!

PS this is the first time I have walked away from it for 5 hours.

• Upvote 1

Preliminary impressions in 4 words: it's very very very good. (Extra "very" added for impact ;) )

I've only spent 45 mins with it through a pair of KRK rokit 8s, but DAMN if this doesn't cream all prior line 6 modeling! Build wise it's not as bulletproof as a G-System, but nothing else is either. UI/UI wise, it's the best on the planet!

More to come....

I played mine off and on all day. I played through KRK Rokit 5's. I am stunned. I had high expectations and so far this meets or exceeds them. I just played with presets and tweaked them as well as tried different effects . It sounds fantastic. My son had to try it out. He has been wanting a Kemper ever since hearing one in my friends studio. Now he doesn't know which he wants. I didn't know if I would be able to get back on the Helix. He said he could have played with it all night. I agree. There will be those that prefer Kemper or Axfx, but Line 6 has a serious contender here. Since my fingers hurt I am going to actually read some of the manual tonight. Thanks to Line 6 and also Andy from Sweetwater for hooking me up.

Played it for a couple hours tonight just through headphones and it is just simply fantastic.  I also just played through the first setlist banks and all the amps are there. I mean really there.  They are just that much better than the HD500.  Even the Line 6 models are spectacular now.  And the new effects just more detailed and nuanced. The scribble strips are brilliant and the tuner is off the charts...  I like the UI but I need to get used to the joystick, I tend to turn it when I mean to just nudge it.  Didn't even try doing it with my feet.  I will get my new PA set up this weekend and blow the cobwebs out and see what its made of.  So far its absolutely everything I hoped it would be.  I will record samples when everything is up and running...  ;)

OK, so I'm not buying it anytime soon, but will somebody please try and take down that Chad guy from Boston, by putting up some INTERESTING vids? I start to yawn as soon as I look in his direction...

PLEASE?

THANK YOU!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It sounds fantastic. My son had to try it out. He has been wanting a Kemper ever since hearing one in my friends studio. Now he doesn't know which he wants. I didn't know if I would be able to get back on the Helix. He said he could have played with it all night. I agree. There will be those that prefer Kemper or Axfx, but Line 6 has a serious contender here. 

So do you think the Helix amps can compare to the Kemper? This is a choice I have to make soon. My wife has given me the OK to buy one. Just not sure if I am going Kemper (with remote) or Helix....I have been wanting a better amp tone (I have to HD500X), I want to go real tube amp but I do not want to carry that around. 

@feinberger

Not to muddy the water for you but Fractal is coming out with the AX8 which sounds pretty good too...so there are plenty of good options to consider. Good time to be a guitar nerd.

Helix from the couple clips I have heard sounds excellent (as far as youtube goes), such as:

Sounds great guys. I will be ordering mine soon and hook it to a mackie or line 6 l2m frfr monitor. That way my presets will sound the exact same thru the main house PA system. I think this is a no brainier for X amplify or firehawk users. The interface is almost exact, except no Bluetooth. Boooooo!

So do you think the Helix amps can compare to the Kemper? This is a choice I have to make soon. My wife has given me the OK to buy one. Just not sure if I am going Kemper (with remote) or Helix....I have been wanting a better amp tone (I have to HD500X), I want to go real tube amp but I do not want to carry that around.

I can not say one is better than the other. Both have their upsides. Plus I do not personally have day in, day out hands on experience with a Kemper. But what I have heard on my friends Kemper I would say the Helix is a peer.

All in all I love it. Few issues which I'm not happy about:

-popping like crazy when I run USB to Helix. Not all the time...I just reset the USB connection when it starts happening.

-Tuner; I want to hear my guitar when I tune! But...the setting for tuner output is staying muted even though I have it routed to MULTI

-I have a scribble strip that I would like to customize the name/color but can't since it is assigned already to two parameters on my amp (mid/chl vol). If I try it the way the manual describes, I end up adding a on/off to my AMP which is NOT good. How do you customize a scribble strip (name/color) that is already assigned? I think software may have missed something.

-unit has locked up on me a few times; had to restart it

-I already returned one unit as defective due to bad scribble strip. I will say Line6 treated me right and I had no downtime.

-popping like crazy when I run USB to Helix. Not all the time...I just reset the USB connection when it starts happening.

-Tuner; I want to hear my guitar when I tune! But...the setting for tuner output is staying muted even though I have it routed to MULTI

-I have a scribble strip that I would like to customize the name/color but can't since it is assigned already to two parameters on my amp (mid/chl vol). If I try it the way the manual describes, I end up adding a on/off to my AMP which is NOT good. How do you customize a scribble strip (name/color) that is already assigned? I think software may have missed something.

-I already returned one unit as defective due to bad scribble strip. I will say Line6 treated me right and I had no downtime.

I'm not sure about the tuner thing. Perhaps a bug - I have never tried using it with anything but having it muted.

For the scribble strip label and color, are you following the procedure on page 39 of the manual? There are two place where you could put a custom label on footswitch. If you're not using the footswitch to turn anything on and off, you'll want to do it in the Command Center.

@feinberger

Not to muddy the water for you but Fractal is coming out with the AX8 which sounds pretty good too...so there are plenty of good options to consider. Good time to be a guitar nerd.

Helix from the couple clips I have heard sounds excellent (as far as youtube goes), such as:

I wish I could afford to do that. Best of both worlds! 

I can't reproduce the tuner issue. I set it to multi and it no longer mutes. The volume is a bit low though.

Update after replacement unit: not all items have been tested but here is an update.

-Tuner; I can now hear the output while I tune, however, the volume pedal is not active. What I was hoping for is that I could control the output volume via the pedal like I could on my analog rig.

-I did figure out how to change the name/color for scribble after the fact. You have to do it via the 'Command Center' and joystick to the footswitch in question. Not very intuitive but hey, it's there.

Update after replacement unit: not all items have been tested but here is an update.

-Tuner; I can now hear the output while I tune, however, the volume pedal is not active. What I was hoping for is that I could control the output volume via the pedal like I could on my analog rig.

-I did figure out how to change the name/color for scribble after the fact. You have to do it via the 'Command Center' and joystick to the footswitch in question. Not very intuitive but hey, it's there.

USB is completely unusable with this replacement unit. I hear a little bit of audio sometimes but then it just fades into fuzz and then nothing. This is going to be a problem for me. My previous (pre-replacement unit) did not have this issue. I am trying another firmware update but I'm not too hopeful seeing that it is already the latest version. Any ideas for workarounds? Or is this another defective unit?

USB is completely unusable with this replacement unit. I hear a little bit of audio sometimes but then it just fades into fuzz and then nothing. This is going to be a problem for me. My previous (pre-replacement unit) did not have this issue. I am trying another firmware update but I'm not too hopeful seeing that it is already the latest version. Any ideas for workarounds? Or is this another defective unit?

What are the chances you would get two defective? Did you try another USB cable? What are you trying to,do via usb? I just tried a 20 second recording in GarageBand via USB with my iPad and it worked great.

What are the chances you would get two defective? Did you try another USB cable? What are you trying to,do via usb? I just tried a 20 second recording in GarageBand via USB with my iPad and it worked great.

I am just wanting to play a backing track while playing guitar. The USB music is via iTunes.

I will say the software update seems to have helped. I can actually hear real music. I think my head is getting in the way now.

I am just wanting to play a backing track while playing guitar. The USB music is via iTunes.

I will say the software update seems to have helped. I can actually hear real music. I think my head is getting in the way now.

You are probably like me. I listen so close when I he a new toy that I start hearing things that ar not there. I discovered through my Helix noodling that one of my krokkit 5 monitors has a vibration/buzz issue. I thought I was vibrating something in the room at first . Luckily it is a Sweetwater purchase and we are already working on a return/replacement .

Can I ask have you got another audio interface plugged in? Sounds a little like warring sample rates which can happen sometimes, especially when iTunes or QuickTime enters the equation. There are still funny behaviours in core audio - I'm assuming you're on a Mac of course.

So far yours are the only bad technical issues I've read about, it would be extremely unfortunate for you to receive two defective units, almost unbelievable you'd think. You did get a replacement very quickly though!

Here is my first impression of the Helix, obviously it has only been out a few days so these comments may change or even be moot as Line6 hopefully continues to improve the product with future updates. I have separated my initial observations into three categories, "THE GOOD", "THE BAD", & "THE UGLY":

If you are going to excerpt critical parts of this review on other sites or even within this one consider reposting the entire review so that things are not taken out of context. Thank you!

THE GOOD

1. Seems to be excellent build quality. It is a heavy (heavy in that good solid way) unit and seems like an exceptionally well constructed piece of hardware.
  2. The interface is revolutionary and astounding. The no-hands ability to modify settings on the fly with footswitches and pedals is a game changer. Fantastic idea.  The internal routing options are incredibly flexible and intelligently laid out. The flexibility on footswitch assignations is great.
  3. Several knobs that live on the backs of other units are on the top of this one and very easy to see and manipulate in a live situation.
  4. Back panel has an incredible array of outputs and provides enormous potential and flexibility. This is critical as software/firmware can be changed by updates but you are pretty much stuck with whatever available hardware ships from the factory.
  5. Scribble strips!!!!!! What can you say, just magnificent. First encountered these on the Behringer X32 boards and again they are a game changer. They make the product so much easier to use and so much more informative at a glance.
  6. Different colored customizable lighted rings on footswitches. Again, just fantastic!
  7. Touch sensitive capacitance sensing foot switches that instantly jump you to a screen with the parameters for that amp/pedal. So cool, this makes programming changes from the pedalboard so much easier. This board will make you want to play bare-footed just to take advantage of the cap sensitive switches! If you already play barefoot, you must have this! You can make all your amp/effect pedal changes while standing up.
  8. One of my favorite features is the humble Hold/Edit button. This can instantly jump you from a pedalboard view with presets to a pedalboard view with each of your selected preset's pedals(each switch corresponding to a pedal instead of a preset), depending on how you assigned the pedals. This means you can essentially easily toggle on the fly between a preset and individual pedal view and all of the footswitches that correspond. This allows you to potentially toggle them with, up to I believe, 8 footswitches (10?), depending on your configuration. This feature alone is almost worth the price of admission. Pressing the bank switch can allow you to choose a preset and instantly revert back from individual pedal view to preset view. Inspired!
  9. The sounds seems pretty good. Have yet to encounter a multi-effect/modeler that I did not need to tweak to sound good to my ears and be an acceptable replacement for an analog rig.  Time will tell on this account. Don't understand why every manufacturer seems to put out clean presets that sound so anemic. The distorted heavier presets seem to be better straight out of the box.  I am fairly confident I can get this thing to sound amazing. The unit is responsive to volume changes, e.g. cleans up when guitar volume is attenuated but this is no longer such a revolutionary feature, other units can do this as well.
  10. Amazing detail on the amp/cab models with lots of nuance that can be customized, e.g. hum, sag. Nice job on this. Have not had a chance to play with the IR's yet.
  11. The control pedal is heavy duty and seems to have decent travel. Some criticism of this pedal in the "The Bad" section
  12. Lots of control switches with flexible configuration allows this board to be catered to the user. Bottom row preset change, top row pedal stomp; all pedal stomp; all preset stomp; etc.. Very well thought out.
  13. Larger screen although it could still be a bit bigger for maximum visibility.  More on this in the "The BAD" section.
  14. The scribble strip above the control pedal with the default labels of "EXP1" and "EXP2" can be customized to indicate the assigned pedal's function. It also reflects values when you are editing pedal parameters.
  15. This all-in-one box is a high quality modeler and effects pedal board with lots of horsepower and functionality that does not require a separate rackmount and pedalboard or even a separate foot pedal (although apparently the Helix will be available soon as two separate units if you prefer). This one-stop compact solution to my live sound is one of the most compelling features to me in my ongoing efforts to streamline my rig. I have been going direct from my previous multi-effects/modeler to my PA for over two years now and I am sold, I almost never use an amp and pedals any more. With rare exceptions I never bring an amp/cab or FRFR to my gigs. A modeler/multi effects unit makes load in and load out much simpler with less back strain and I have more flexibility, require less tap dancing on my pedals and I don't have nearly as many possible points of failure as with my setup with tube amp, pedals, and cables. Despite all of the virtues of pedalboard direct to PA,  I have never been quite able to hit the warmth, feel, and tonal complexity of my old school analog and tubes rig. I think the Helix is the unit that will finally deliver! I am looking forward to what I think will be a far superior and more consistent sound and user experience with the Helix. Can't wait to get this thing gig ready.

THE BAD

1. A much better screen than former Line6 multi-effects but the screen is still only a barely adequate size. It still does not compare screen real estate, brightness, or clarity with a decent tablet screen. It seems to be fairly low resolution and not very bright. Maybe I am just spoiled by modern tablet screens. The screen on the Helix is perfectly adequate for programming but not very impressive for live use and I wonder how visible it will be on an outdoor gig.  Additionally the still relatively small size of the screen makes maximal useability and visibility of the home screen and its icons almost impossible.  The home screen is more effective for programming than live use. More on my issues with the icons below.
  2. Wow, here we are in the touch screen era and users are still being forced to move blocks around and similar operations with a combination of button pushing and toggling. Future iterations of the Helix should employ a touch screen. I grant you Line6 made many of these operations as painless as possible with a very well thought out interface but it is still laughable when you compare it to how much easier many operations would be to manage with a touch screen. A touch screen would have made all sorts of operations much faster, more intuitive, and simpler. Although many of the Helix's features are inspired and game changing, in this one respect (no touch screen), it feels like they simply made the best horse and buggy possible. The Helix is an obvious candidate for a touch screen. Would love to see them add Bluetooth and an iPad app interface in the future.
  3. Although the build quality seems high I find myself concerned with some of the knobs such as the parameter, "Preset", toggle, "Volume", and "Phones" knobs. It seems like one errant kick of a foot or a clumsy person in the band or audience might easily break them off. Several of the knobs on this unit should have been protected with "fences" from accidental contact from stomp button changes or audience or band members. Either that or changed to less breakable knobs. Am also curious to see how well the toggle switch in particular will hold up over prolonged usage. My recommendation to Line6. Get out a good editor to reduce usage of the toggle and really all buttons. Good editors add ease of use and reduce warranty claims and repairs. With that said the programming ease and conception of the Helix are extremely well executed. Buttons like "Home", "Bypass", "Action" look like they may be particularly vulnerable to moisture. These buttons feel and look great but I wonder how immune to a bit of moisture they are. Some gigs the stage juts out practically into the audience area and I would hate to see this thing die from just a small bit of beer or water spilled on it.
  4. Icons, icons, icons. This is a bit of a preference thing so I almost hesitate to put it under "THE BAD" heading.. The icons that represent the blocks, e.g. amps, effects, routing, etc. are a bit small and as a result hard to differentiate in some cases while standing up if you don't have perfect 20/20 vision. Additionally, the icons are only by category e.g. amp, modulation, distortion, etc.. I would prefer to know whether I am looking at a preset with a Fender Twin or a Marshall Super Lead, a flanger or a chorus.  Simply showing a general icon for "Amp" or "Modulation" is too vague. I would love to see each effect and amp have its own icon even if they were only slightly varied. Yes, you can drill down and see the specifics but it would be nice to be able to detect the effect or amp type from the home screen. Perhaps we could see cusomizable icons in the future so the user has the option to create a picture more meaningful to them. I also tend to prefer abbreviations unless icons are big enough to be clearly differentiated and large enough to offer a meaningful visual representation of what they refer to.  This may become a non issue for me as I get more familiar with them. It might be nice to have the option to toggle between text or icon.
  5. Where are the inputs on the back panel for additional external control switches? Many multi-effects have this capability.  Given the exhaustive array of input/output options on the rear panel I was surprised not to find this capability. I know you can use an expression pedal for some of this functionality but it is a nice option to be able to add a couple of external switches (often to work the bank changing) so that the existing switches on the Helix, for example, the bank switches, can be assigned for other purposes. Did I miss something here?  Do the external switch jacks exist and I just failed to spot them?
  6. Is the slot on the top of the Helix chassis that the pedal recesses into isolated with a sleeve or separate compartment? If not this seems like an ideal location for humidity and dust or even worse for a spill to find its way into delicate electronics. The control pedal has a huge hex wrench that is required to adjust the travel resistance of the pedal. To be fair this is a great option. Just not sure I like the idea of always having to have the wrench handy. I also noticed that when you press the pedal toe-down to activate it, the rubber grommet underneath the pedal feels almost like it is sticking to the pedal board for a moment before you move it toe-up.

THE UGLY

1. Why do I feel like I am the villager shouting "The Emperor has no clothes!" when it comes to Line6. The lack of amp models and particularly effects models on the Helix is shocking and in my opinion unacceptable for a unit this expensive. Cheap $150 pedals match this unit for the number of effect emulations. Most boutique effects and even very commonly used ones are totally missing with the exception of a few (would love to see a "reverse" effect btw).  The lack of selection on even basic bread and butter effects is abysmal. I believe there is only one phaser option.. The one phaser (a simple MXR Phase 90 emulation) has almost no adjustable parameters and like the oriiginal pedal it emulates does not even allow the number of steps to be selected, e.g. 4 steps, 8 steps, 12 steps.  There is no biphase option as far as I know. I don't mean to sound obsessive about phasers, I use it to illustrate a point. There are so many basic effects that are either missing or only provide one or two options where other units provide many. There are shockingly few distortion and overdrive pedal choices although this is probably one of the better populated of the categories and it is still pathetic for a unit of this price and potential. There are zero, I repeat zero reverb emulations other than Line6 emulations, no Lexicon, nothing! The list goes on and on as in, there are very few options in every effect category with the possible exception of wah choices. Wow! This is a situation that Line6 absolutely must remedy! What gives guys? This is simply unfair and needs to be fixed with software updates. I agree with people that say, "better one good effect than ten crappy emulations" but this is just ridiculous! Hire some programmers, get them with some musicians with good ears and please address this. It is an outrage that so little effort was put into providing adequate choices and options. How can you guys not see this is a huge problem?  Looking forward to firmware updates that include new amps and effects! No one is saying you need to cater to every single request for each user's favorite amp or pedal but the Helix has yet to hit even an acceptable baseline for the number of available amp/cabs and effects. If more and I mean many more amp and pedal choices are coming in the future please let us know or the usual trolls and idiots will start saying that we don't need them and picking a fight with everyone who is pointing out such an obvious shortcoming in what appears to be such a stellar piece of hardware. No wonder Line6 kept the list of amps and pedals on the Helix under wraps for such an unusually and atypically long time. Were they scrambling right up to the release date just to get the few in that exist? I don't know whether this is the result of an overly complicated development process, a need to deliver particularly high quality emulations, and/or a lack of manpower, or something else but this is a very disturbing, disappointing, and gaping lack in the Helix. I think most of us really expected to see a fully fleshed out selection of amps and effeects in this "flagship" product. Thankfully this is a problem that hopefully can easily be addressed with firmware updates if Line6 realizes how serious this issue is and is willing to commit the resources to fixing it. I would hope there is enough spare memory already on board to add additional amps and effects. The current list of amps and pedals is just embarassing. I promise you, the majority of your general user base needs, wants, and IMHO at this price point, deserves more high quality amps and pedal choices in every category! Thanks!
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Looking forward to firmware updates that include new effects! If more and I mean many more pedal choices are coming in the future please let us know or the usual trolls and idiots will start saying that we don't need them and picking a fight with everyone who is pointing out such an obvious shortcoming in what appears to be such a stellar piece of hardware. I promise you, the majority of your general user base needs, wants, and IMHO at this price point, deserves more high quality pedal choices in every category! Thanks!

actually, I totally agree here...  I don't care how you do it, free updates or ala carte purchase but there needs to be a lot more effects added, across the board.  Take the Zoom model and sell them if you have to but it has to be done... same with amps and cabs...

I second @radatats comment. We need more amp and cab choices as well although it is the lack of pedals that first struck me as egregious. Although paying for them in the future is certainly an option I would encourage Line6 or third party developers to pursue, the current lack is so unfair as to compel me to request that Line6 at least flesh out their current pedal and amp/cab offerings before asking their users to fork over more cash for what should have been included stock with this unit.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the review, HonestOpinion.

The scribble strip devoted to the text "EXP1" and "EXP2" seems like a waste of real estate.  I would suggest a future firmware update allow other pieces of information to be displayed here.

The scribble strip above the treadle displays values while in Pedal Edit mode and it can be customized to label what the pedal does (as shown in a handful of presets). We also have future plans for it.

Wow, here we are in the touch screen era and users are still being forced to move blocks around and similar operations with a combination of button pushing and toggling. Future iterations of the Helix should employ a touch screen. I grant you Line6 made many of these operations as painless as possible with a very well thought out interface but it is still laughable when you compare it to how much easier many operations would be to manage with a touch screen. A touch screen would have made all sorts of operations much faster, more intuitive, and simpler. Although many of the Helix's features are inspired and game changing, in this one respect (no touch screen), it feels like they simply made the best horse and buggy possible. The Helix is an obvious candidate for a touch screen.

An earlier Helix design employed a touchscreen. We showed it to people—they overwhelmingly hated it. Were worried about spills. Didn't want "a tablet on the floor." The UX breakthrough came when we pulled the focus from the potentially confusing signal flow to the familiar environment of stomps/footswitches. Instead, the user treats Helix like a modular pedalboard, where if something needs to be edited, it's only a touch away, but it otherwise stays of the way.

Cap touch footswitches over a touchscreen (or even over both, which was discussed at one time) was a very purposeful design decision.

Cheers!

i absolutely love my new helix! picked up through sweetwater.  i have plenty of experience with real amps, real pedals and also own an axe fx ii.  yes it is different than the axe -- but not in a better/worse sort of way.  i love the ease of editing which was/is one of my biggest leaves about the axe; i am no longer tethered to my computer. i also have a built-in pedal board and 4 additional send/returns for any of my indispensable pedals as opposed to the one on the axe fx.  i think tonally it does sound different -- but not inferior in any way -- it is much more of the miked sound.  feel-wise i see little to no difference. so i would say big time win for line 6.  i hope to see line 6 or some other company producing helix ir packs -- i would definitely be happy to spend for additional realistic cab tones -- which would only enhance the experience.

howie

actually, I totally agree here...  I don't care how you do it, free updates or ala carte purchase but there needs to be a lot more effects added, across the board.  Take the Zoom model and sell them if you have to but it has to be done... same with amps and cabs...

I feel this way to a certain extent too. 

I mean there isn't a single Vocoder in it at all. 

And since it has a mic pre that is described by Line 6 as...  "The pre amps in Helix and in the StageScape mixer are TI Burr Brown digitally controlled analog mic pre amps. They are actually quite expensive and very high quality."  ... Then a Vocoder could be very  nice in it.  

That, and more reverbs, but I always want more reverbs.  :D 

How are the choices compared to the HD models.

Are all the essentials there in your opinion.

Also, please give an appraisal of amp quality alone.

Looking forward to an HD HX comparison video   

And of course a Fractal HX Kemper  comparison too!

But first impressions are good too! Cheers

Its still missing acoustic and vocal/mic amp models. Given the Variax and mic inputs, one would expect these amp models on a unit this expensive. I hope they, and a number of new effects models are on their way and we're just seeing the MVP introduction.

Thanks for the informative comments Digital_igloo (straight from the source).  I must admit that the market survey responses you initially got to using a more tablet inspired screen echoed some of my concerns when I first used a Digitech IPB-10 which leverages an iPad for the screen. However, those objections proved to be largely groundless. The iPad not only provided an excellent visual paradigm but dragging and dropping proved to be a programming godsend. Now I am obviously not trying to compare the Helix and the IPB-10. The Helix is in a class of its own and that would be like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Hyundai. I am not sure if the screen you went with is hardier than a tablet, that is certainly a strong feature, but it seems that what you give up in screen real estate, drag and drop functionality, clarity and visibility is substantial. Given the direction you chose to go, perhaps the direction consumers preferred, I think the implementation is nothing short of brilliant. I still foresee however a time when a much more functional, larger, brighter, and clearer screen makes its way into the Line6 product line without proving to be a deal breaker on price point. As you pointed out perhaps a hybrid approach of cap sensitive and touchscreen in the future. A unit that includes both the drag and drop and alternative methods for programming. One benefit of course, if you use something such as a third party tablet e.g. Surface, iPad, etc., is that cost actually does not appear as part of the product cost (Line6 does not have to pay for the screen) allowing Line6 to retain a competitive price.  Anyway, I am confident you guys took a good hard look at what was out there and made your decisions according to what made sense within patent constraints, consumer preferences, your available resources, and other variables I have no clue about. Still looking forward to Line6 being able to include a truly killer screen some day without breaking the bank. In the meantime this screen is a substantial step in the right direction. There are also a host of other attributes and innovations to commend the Helix! Please throw everything you've got into this one, this product capitalizes on Line6's core expertise. It is great now but as I am sure you are well aware it still has room to grow and improve.

Thanks for the review, HonestOpinion.

The scribble strip above the treadle displays values while in Pedal Edit mode and it can be customized to label what the pedal does (as shown in a handful of presets). We also have future plans for it.

I did not realize the scribble strip showing "EXP1" & "EXP2" could be customized.  That feature alone adds value to this scribble strip location as I can use it to label one pedal "Rate" or something similiar depending on what paramater it is controlling in a given patch. Nice to hear you have additional plans for it as well.