Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Paths and Outputs

cuch

First off… what an insane piece of equipment the Helix is… So far, I’m very impressed.  The Helix output controls are pretty awesome.  They allow you to choose exactly what gets sent out of the various available outputs and control levels many different way.  Bravo Line 6… that’s so important!

Here’s how I’m running my HX (at the moment): I have a DT25 and I'm just using the 1/4" outputs into the front input on the amp.  1/4" outputs are set to Instrument level and XLR is set to line level.

I have mine set up so that my volume knob controls the 1/4" outputs ONLY and although I set the Headphone knob to control the XLR outputs ONLY, it does NOT.  Is this a Bug perhaps?

That aside, it does give me a solid line level signal to the XLR outs which I send to PA/FOH and I'm able to control the level going to my DT25 for stage volume with the volume knob without effecting the signal going to the PA/FOH.  I am going to try using the L6link with 110Ω XLR cable instead of the 1/4" outputs tonight to see if there is any noise reduction benefit. Still not happy about not being able to control topology from Helix though.  :(

I’ve set up two separate signal paths both start with the guitar input but one is routed to 1/4†outputs and the other is routed to the XLR outputs .  I basically made them identical except on the path of blocks which goes to the 1/4" outputs to my DT25 using the preamp models only and I setup channel “A†on the DT25 with a topology that I feel will give me a good clean and dirty tone.  On the path of blocks that goes to my XLR outputs I'm using the matching Amp+Cab models for PA/FOH.  I must say with very minimal amount of work, it sounds great through both the DT25 and my PA.

I do have one suggestion and I’m curious if anyone else would find this useful… it would be really nice to be able to “link blocks†for editing purposes.  i.e. I have two blocks with the same reverb setup on two paths that I’d like to be able to control together.  If I need to adjust let’s say the decay and mix, currently I need to do it on one block and then copy paste the block to the other.  If they were linked, they would function together and that would come in really handy during live performances where sometimes you need to tweak something.  It’s great that you can go into edit mode using the foot switches and adjust something and then save it all with your feet, but would be more practical if blocks could be linked.

Anyways... just some feedback for those interested.

I have mine set up so that my volume knob controls the 1/4" outputs ONLY and although I set the Headphone knob to control the XLR outputs ONLY, it does NOT.  Is this a Bug perhaps?

I think you're misunderstanding that setting. The "Headphones Monitor" parameter in the global settings menu doesn't assign what that knob controls. It determines what the headphones will receive signal from. If you set it to XLR, it will only monitor the XLR outputs. In most cases you'd want to keep it set to Multi.

I think you're misunderstanding that setting. The "Headphones Monitor" parameter in the global settings menu doesn't assign what that knob controls. It determines what the headphones will receive signal from. If you set it to XLR, it will only monitor the XLR outputs. In most cases you'd want to keep it set to Multi.

I see... so you could get an isolated headphone mix of just the XLR output, or something else.  In my scenario, if I set it to multi, I would be hearing both sets of blocks summed into the headphones.  I made a jump after seeing how the volume knob could be set, it appears like it would give you the same result at first glance.  For me the good news is that I can separate my levels (FOH & Stage) and control my stage volume.