Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assign Presets to Footswitches

chidori597

Well, the presets are always going to be in banks - that's just something inherent to the architecture of the unit. In preset mode, you can see two banks of presets at the same time, so you can immediately jump into any of those 8 presets. If you want to be able to jump into a new preset when you're in one, one thing you could do, I suppose, is run a MIDI cable from the Helix's MIDI out into its MIDI in, assign the PC of the destination preset to a switch in your current preset and immediately go to new preset. The problem with this is that you'd have to program individual PCs in all your presets if you want to be able to do it all the time. It could get pretty tedious.

Thank for the quick response. We are using the helix two control two line 6 bogner half stacks instead of multiple pedals. We aren't using the helix directly into a PC. All we want is to be able to switch to the presets that we have been customizing and editing from the footswitches. The only way we are able to select the presets is by selecting the bank which can be rather frustrating since it needs to be changed from one step in stead of two.

PC = Program Change... It's a MIDI command that you could assign to the Helix's footswitches.

If you're using presets within the same two banks, and you don't need to turn effects on and off, you could change presets with only hitting one switch, but otherwise, yes, it involves more than one button press.

Is the helix not designed for a live set? Only recording? We bought this helix to not have to switch between two pedals. So far it is doing a tremendous job but it still has two steps in order to change a tone for a new song. We play live performances which requires us to change the tone on the fly. Changing an effect is fine but sometimes we need to alter the whole sound to fit the song. Instead of just hitting "Bank" to go the presets we have set. Maybe a firmware update can add that option? Not every song is going to have the same sound which is why it needs to be accessed in order to properly change it without having to be a few seconds ahead of everyone else without messing up. 

The presets we make are designed to play the songs. Not every song sounds the same. Changing an effect (block) with the footswitches is fine but sometimes a whole new sound needs to be changed.

• Downvote 1

Is the helix not designed for a live set? Only recording? We bought this helix to not have to switch between two pedals. So far it is doing a tremendous job but it still has two steps in order to change a tone for a new song. We play live performances which requires us to change the tone on the fly. Changing an effect is fine but sometimes we need to alter the whole sound to fit the song. Instead of just hitting "Bank" to go the presets we have set. Maybe a firmware update can add that option? Not every song is going to have the same sound which is why it needs to be accessed in order to properly change it without having to be a few seconds ahead of everyone else without messing up. 

It would be nice indeed to have the possibility to assign a preset change to a stomp footswitch. Maybe you can submit the idea on Ideascale?

In the meaning time, I will do what phil_m said: my Helix being connceted to a PC, I will use that to simulate this functionality.

BTW, I use Bome Midi Translator on the PC, awesome piece of software (http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator)

Maybe I'm missing something. Pressing FS6 (MODE) toggles between Preset mode (no pressing BANK necessary) and Stomp mode. You can also run hybrid, with presets on the bottom row and stomps up top (or vice versa). You can also switch BANK UP/DOWN to PRESET UP/DOWN (hold both switches for two seconds), and can sequentially increment/decrement through your setlist while in either mode.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm missing something. Pressing FS6 (MODE) toggles between Preset mode (no pressing BANK necessary) and Stomp mode. You can also run hybrid, with presets on the bottom row and stomps up top (or vice versa). You can also switch BANK UP/DOWN to PRESET UP/DOWN (hold both switches for two seconds), and can sequentially increment/decrement through your setlist while in either mode.

If you've got a long song with lots of changes, etc. you may need more than 4 switches, and more than 1 preset for the same song. So, even if it's not a big problem, it's annoying to have to switch mode and have an extra "click" to do. I'm using the Gordius Little Giant controller in my present rig, its flexibility is so awesome for that kind of stuff.

So yes, the ability to mix stomp/midi with presets is kind of rigid right now: you can't have on the bottom row a mix of presets and stomp/midi switches. That's a little annoying.

Wait...are you saying that you are unable to load presets one right after each other without hitting a separate button? I would want to use this live by breaking down my songs into parts and create presets for each. So, for example I would have intro/verse/chorus/solo/bridge and each would be on its own preset.

In preset mode, are you able to select the "intro" preset, then step on the "verse" preset? I'm assuming it would work this way, is this correct?

Here's a video I just found about preset/stomp mode:

Another approach - press and hold both the bank up an down buttons simultaneously, and they will change to preset up and down... This way you can have two buttons for preset changes and 8 stomps. Of course, this presumes that you'll have to arrange all your presets for your set list.

I also think it would be great to be able to change the layouts to have mixed presets and stomps on upper and lower rows - this was how I had my G-Sytem set up. However, I'm sure that if there were more than two options (I.e., presets for the left four or right four) that a lot of users would complain about how complicated it is.

Just my $.02

a lot of users would complain about how complicated it is.

I thought that was a 1500$ products aimed at pros? If this is indeed the target, I don't see pros complaining about being able to tweak things a little more. I sure would not.

In any good recent MIDI controller you can make your layout as you want, I'm disapointed it's not the case (at launch?) with the Helix.

Perhaps this is what we are looking for:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439cb91a5609df67966ca/application/pdf/Helix%20Owners%20Manual%20(REV%20B)%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf#page44

This line here, under global presets:

Up/Down Switches

When set to "Presets," FS1 (BANK ) and FS7 (BANK ) change to PRESET and PRESET , where pressing either switch instantly selects the next/ previous preset, without a bank queue. This is useful if you've programmed a fixed set list for your show, and just want to increment through all your tones. You can also quickly change this setting at any time by pressing and holding both the and switches for two seconds.

Actually, in my case this would still not behave how I would like it to. I'm looking for the preset switches to function just like a midi controller would. I'm assuming the Helix would be able to select presets from the 8 banks listed without having to hit an extra button or tap dancing while playing a song with multiple different presets.

Can anyone confirm this?

Actually, in my case this would still not behave how I would like it to. I'm looking for the preset switches to function just like a midi controller would. I'm assuming the Helix would be able to select presets from the 8 banks listed without having to hit an extra button or tap dancing while playing a song with multiple different presets.

Can anyone confirm this?

+1

... Maybe by having a switch send a program change? Can the Helix send itself a MIDI command? 

There are quite a few ways to set up Helix's switches:

• Bank Up/Down and 8 presets (normal Preset mode)
  • Bank Up/Down and 8 stomps (normal Stomp mode)
  • 10 stomps
  • Bank Up/Down, 4 stomps on the bottom, 4 presets on the top
  • Bank Up/Down, 4 presets on the bottom, 4 stomps on the top
  • Preset Up/Down (no bank queue necessary) and 8 presets
  • Preset Up/Down and 8 stomps
  • Preset Up/Down, 4 stomps on the bottom, 4 presets on the top
  • Preset Up/Down, 4 presets on the bottom, 4 stomps on the top
  • Preset Up/Down and 8 stomps
There's currently no way to, say, assign presets to FS2, 3, 6, and 8 and stomps to FS 4, 5, 9, 10, and 11, as presets are designed to be selectable in banks of four (or sequentially selected via Preset Up/Down).

Warning: Rabbit Hole...

For advanced users, you can stay in Stomp mode (either 8 or 10 stomps) and assign a MIDI PC message to any switch (1-5, 7-11, or EXP Toe) to recall any preset (and then custom label them after the presets). You'll need to run a MIDI cable from Helix's MIDI out to MIDI in and make sure you set Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru to "Off" to avoid MIDI feedback. Currently, any PC value reverts Helix to the associated preset in Setlist 1, but this is a known bug—Normally, Helix should maintain the current setlist unless first receiving a MIDI bank select change (CC32/LSB).

• Upvote 1

Just to be absolutely clear...I think the helix will do what I want but I need further clarification.

In normal preset mode like the video below...he selects a bank and then chooses preset 25C (Angry Shaman), can you then select any of other of the 7 presets shown and 25C turns off and the new preset is loaded? With spill lover of course.

Warning: Rabbit Hole...

For advanced users, you can stay in Stomp mode (either 8 or 10 stomps) and assign a MIDI PC message to any switch (1-5, 7-11, or EXP Toe) to recall any preset (and then custom label them after the presets). You'll need to run a MIDI cable from Helix's MIDI out to MIDI in and make sure you set Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru to "Off" to avoid MIDI feedback. Currently, any PC value reverts Helix to the associated preset in Setlist 1, but this is a known bug—Normally, Helix should maintain the current setlist unless first receiving a MIDI bank select change (CC32/LSB).

Nice workaround, thanks :) That's exactly what I need. But ideally it should be doable without a MIDI cable don't you think? Maybe in the future?

In normal preset mode like the video below...he selects a bank and then chooses preset 25C (Angry Shaman), can you then select any of other of the 7 presets shown and 25C turns off and the new preset is loaded? With spill lover of course.

Yeah, you can instantly go from any preset to any other within a setlist. However, there's no preset spillover—the only modeler with preset spillover is the DigiTech GSP1101, and it dedicates half its DSP to spillover and only spillover.

There are ways to seamlessly switch (or even dynamically blend) between two tones within the same preset, with delay and reverb spillover. We've even made a couple template presets for you.

Nice workaround, thanks :) That's exactly what I need. But ideally it should be doable without a MIDI cable don't you think? Maybe in the future?

Maybe. That's one of those situations where one wrong setting by someone who doesn't know what they're doing could totally screw up everything. I'm not personally comfortable with it, but if enough people vote on IdeaScale...

I'm baffled that this thread went on as long as it did, since my impression from every previous post and the demo videos was that you can switch between 8 presets with one press if you don't need any effect toggles during a song, or can switch between 4 presets if you need up to 4 effect toggles. I had assumed, like with every other modelling hardware I've used from Line6 or otherwise, that you only need to select a bank if the preset you want is not in the current bank. And if you really need 8 toggleable effects pedals within a song then you probably don't need multiple presets for that same song, meaning you can use the 'Preset Up/Down and 8 stomps' method between songs. If I'm not wrong, where's the confusion?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm baffled that this thread went on as long as it did, since my impression from every previous post and the demo videos was that you can switch between 8 presets with one press if you don't need any effect toggles during a song, or can switch between 4 presets if you need up to 4 effect toggles. I had assumed, like with every other modelling hardware I've used from Line6 or otherwise, that you only need to select a bank if the preset you want is not in the current bank. And if you really need 8 toggleable effects pedals within a song then you probably don't need multiple presets for that same song, meaning you can use the 'Preset Up/Down and 8 stomps' method between songs. If I'm not wrong, where's the confusion?

NEAT...I just needed clarification as well as a few other people. Is this not the place for clarification?

Sure, but the 2nd post - a day before you entered the thread - said 'you can immediately jump into any of those 8 presets'. For some reason a couple of the other posters seemed sure that this was somehow not possible and kept talking as if the device was somehow crippled, causing confusion.

Sure, but the 2nd post - a day before you entered the thread - said 'you can immediately jump into any of those 8 presets'. For some reason a couple of the other posters seemed sure that this was somehow not possible and kept talking as if the device was somehow crippled, causing confusion.

This is not what is talked right here.

The Helix is *not* capable of assigning a preset change on any footswitch like most MIDI controllers would do.

If you want to have something like:

FS8: Klon

FS9: Delay

FS10: Jump to preset 4D

FS11: Jump to preset 12A

You just can't.

Well, actually you can, but with a workaround that has been discussed on another thread since this one (MIDI cable between MIDI in and out of the Helix).

For those of us used to control our rig with high-end MIDI controllers, not be able to customize our layout as we want on a preset basis is a step back. BUT it is possible anyway with the MIDI cable workaround, I just think IMHO that it should be something doable without this workaround :)

The original post asked if there was a way to switch to a preset with one step instead of two. This is possible by arranging the presets in a bank (or adjacent banks, if I understand the 8-preset mode correctly). No, you can't assign an arbitrary preset number to an arbitrary stomp, but you can copy arbitrary presets into any bank, meaning you'll have 4 or 8 of them available on the pedals, and they can be whichever presets you want.

I appreciate this may feel a bit restrictive compared to having 8 pedals you can assign to whatever you like, but it's not the same as saying it's not possible to change to another preset without 2 presses as was originally implied by more than one poster.

but it's not the same as saying it's not possible to change to another preset without 2 presses as was originally implied by more than one poster.

Well, it is possible in some cases, not possible in some (if you're in 8 or 10 footswitches mode and need to jump to a non-adjacent preset, you can't in 1 press). So yeah, it kinda is...