Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another DT 50 Question...

robbieb61

Got my Helix today. I'm using it tomorrow at a gig on Fremont Street here in Las Vegas. For that gig I'm going straight to the board and the P.A.

So I sat down with one of my JBL Eon active monitors and got my sounds together for the gig. Sounds GREAT!!!

But then I went to make a separate set of patches to use with my DT 50 into my Bogner 4x12 cab.

I had already saw that the Helix wasn't fully working with the DT amps YET. And what I read was that it would pass the signal but not the topography.
I didn't really care, I was going to set the topography on IV and work with the patches.

Imagine my surprise when I found that plugging the L6 link in to the DT 50 turns off the topography on the front panel of the amp.
And then I discovered that instead of the L6 link passing the Helix to the power amp section of the DT50, it is instead sending the signal to the PREAMP section of the DT50!!!

Totally useless. :(

I never read any of the threads where it was said that it wouldn't pass the signal straight to the power amp like the HD500 did.
I only read that it would still pass the signal but you wouldn't have control over the topography.

Now I'm freaking out!!!  I've got an expensive DT50 amp and Bogner 4x12 cab that I can't use at all with the Helix.

Were you guys at Line 6 aware that the L6 link doesn't pass the signal to the power amp but to the preamp of the DT amps when used with the Helix?

That really sucks.
I can still run a 1/4" out to the return send of the DT50, but it isn't sounding so hot when I do that.

• Upvote 2

Maybe you can set the pre-amps in the DT50 to "none" and use therefore the preamps in Helix.
This should be possible in DT-Edit and store it to the 8 channels.

I think you can also send a Midi-Command from Helix to the DT50 to do this.

Also topology and other settings can be changed with MIDI commands. But I think you will need a separate midi cable.
Each helix patch must be edited in this way. 

For me the missing integration of the DT-Amps is a complete no go.
if the firmware will be updated in future, then I think about upgrading my system.
But now for me it's one step further and two steps behind.

HD500X with DTx is still a match winner in a live performance guitar system.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a Helix, but...

You can set the preamps on the DT to none and should be able to set the power amp to topology IV for both channels and all topology positions. With the Helix not sending topology change information, those setting should not change, so you will not have to always use MIDI cables every time you set up. You should not have to include any MIDI information in any of your patches either unless you want to change those settings (requiring the MIDI cables again). 

Like I have been saying in other threads... there are physical reasons why the Helix L6 link isn't an easy fix in the DT.  The DT is a fully integrated hybrid of the HD technology and the tube power section.  I think the firmware update will need to be in the DT, not the Helix, to make this a reality. 

For now I guess I will use DT Edit to set all my DT channels to no preamp and set the topology to match the 4 switch positions.  At least that way I can still play around with all 4 topologies with my Helix.  Gonna be a busy weekend! (plus a meet and greet with the Winery Dogs in NYC!)

Do you have a source for this statement about the DT architecture? Or is it speculation?

Like I have been saying in other threads... there are physical reasons why the Helix L6 link isn't an easy fix in the DT.  The DT is a fully integrated hybrid of the HD technology and the tube power section.  I think the firmware update will need to be in the DT, not the Helix, to make this a reality. 

For now I guess I will use DT Edit to set all my DT channels to no preamp and set the topology to match the 4 switch positions.  At least that way I can still play around with all 4 topologies with my Helix.  Gonna be a busy weekend! (plus a meet and greet with the Winery Dogs in NYC!)

I can still run a 1/4" out to the return send of the DT50, but it isn't sounding so hot when I do that.

Are you using a preamp model on the Helix when you try this? I'd be pretty surprised if this didn't work. Contrary to what radatats says, I'd be surprised if the effects return wasn't an input directly into the power section. 

Do you have a source for this statement about the DT architecture? Or is it speculation?

HA! I wish there was a source for this... no, Line 6 has been dead silent on signal flow within the DT despite numerous threads asking about it relating to LVM, direct out, and a whole bunch of other issues.  It's just my opinion based on how things actually work pieced together over the past couple of years from the manual and the forums and for me the final proof is discovering the Helix L6 signal is applied to the DT preamp section, not bypassing it and going to the power amp section.  You don't have to agree, just my observation and I would be overjoyed to have an official Line 6 staffer jump in and confirm or deny.  Not holding my breath...

The way that Line 6 experts put it on the forum was that the audio would still transmit from the Helix through the L6 link but you wouldn't be able to change the topology.

I was fine with that understanding.

But what it's doing is completely different. The very second you plug the L6 link in to the DT50 from the Helix...the topology indicator on the amp disappears, none of them are lit up.

And I was only getting a faint sound no matter how much I turned up the amp master. I always keep the controls on the amp all the way off when using the L6 link (no real reason, I just do).
So I reached over and turned up channel A on the front of the amp and there it was. Every control on the front panel of the amp is working. :(  Which must mean that L6 with Helix is hitting the preamp section first.

I have a gig to play tonight using the Helix direct to the front mixing board. So I won't have time to mess around with my "Dream Rig" setup today.

But I wanted to make this known to the Line 6 folks.
Having no control over topology wasn't a big deal to me. Having the L6 link totally useless IS a big deal. :(

EDIT:
I'd like to add this: The Helix is WAY superior to the HD500. The sound I'm getting coming out of the XLR to the JBL eon powered monitor is fantastic.  And I know that if I could get it running with my DT amp and Bogner cab it's gonna be even better.
Just wanted to put that in so people don't think I'm not happy with the Helix. I am VERY happy about the Helix. Just want to get it working correctly with my DT amp.

And I was only getting a faint sound no matter how much I turned up the amp master. I always keep the controls on the amp all the way off when using the L6 link (no real reason, I just do).

So I reached over and turned up channel A on the front of the amp and there it was. Every control on the front panel of the amp is working. :(  Which must mean that L6 with Helix is hitting the preamp section first.

Are you saying topology is working manually after all? And gain as well?

It's sounding more to me like they just haven't complete the integration yet. That makes sense, to limit features to get the product out (no later than it already is). The default would be for the L6 Link to route to the preamp in the absence of a control message to do otherwise. 

No, I'm not saying that at all.
What I'm saying is that when you plug in the Helix via L6 link to the DT amp...the topography controls do not work at all and you have no way of even knowing what topography you are using.

And the only gain that works is the physical amplifier controls because the signal is being passed to the preamp section.

Having said that...Digital Igloo has told me just now that they are working on a better integration with the DT amps on the next major update of the Helix. It will never integrate as much as the HD500 did. But it will integrate and be usable!

So that is GREAT news! 

For now though...no, it won't work with the DT amps.  But the Helix sounds so good (miles and miles better than the HD500) going straight to the board that I know when they DO get it working with the DT amp it's going to be damn near unbeatable.

What I'm saying is that when you plug in the Helix via L6 link to the DT amp...the topography controls do not work at all and you have no way of even knowing what topography you are using.

And the only gain that works is the physical amplifier controls because the signal is being passed to the preamp section.

Ok, so not "all" of the control are working, just the knobs (on which channel?) But the gain on the helix is not working?? That doesn't sound right.

I would seriously think that right now, the only way to run helix is into the FX return. If that's not sounding right then something must not be configured right, i.e. you're not using a preamp model on the helix.

Having said that...Digital Igloo has told me just now that they are working on a better integration with the DT amps on the next major update of the Helix. It will never integrate as much as the HD500 did. But it will integrate and be usable!

Excuse the ignorance, who are they? And if they are giving you details about integration level, can you elaborate?

I'd have to try mine to dig in with more detail... but is your DT up to date as well as Helix?

but there's always 1/4" if you planned to stay on the same topo anyway until a better DT integration comes along on helix (hopefully)

should be able to come into the DT FX return and do exactly what you were trying to do.

So that is GREAT news! 

For now though...no, it won't work with the DT amps.  But the Helix sounds so good (miles and miles better than the HD500) going straight to the board that I know when they DO get it working with the DT amp it's going to be damn near unbeatable.

Hey robbieb61...  I had the same problem last night running my Helix into my DT25 through the L6 Link.  I see that you tried using the 1/4" outputs.  That's what I'm using, but I set up two separate paths...  The one that goes to the DT I only use PreAmp models, and the one going to PA/FOH I used Amp+Cab.  On the DT, I setup my topology to IV and I'm only working with channel A.  It took some messing around, but once I got the settings on my DT dialed in, it sounds really good.  Then again, until I take it out to a gig, can't say for sure.  

I'm curious how did you set your outputs up going to PA/FOH and to your JBL -vs- PA/FOH and DT50?

Got my Helix today. I'm using it tomorrow at a gig on Fremont Street here in Las Vegas. For that gig I'm going straight to the board and the P.A.

So I sat down with one of my JBL Eon active monitors and got my sounds together for the gig. Sounds GREAT!!!

But then I went to make a separate set of patches to use with my DT 50 into my Bogner 4x12 cab.

I had already saw that the Helix wasn't fully working with the DT amps YET. And what I read was that it would pass the signal but not the topography.
I didn't really care, I was going to set the topography on IV and work with the patches.

Imagine my surprise when I found that plugging the L6 link in to the DT 50 turns off the topography on the front panel of the amp.
And then I discovered that instead of the L6 link passing the Helix to the power amp section of the DT50, it is instead sending the signal to the PREAMP section of the DT50!!!

Totally useless. :(

I never read any of the threads where it was said that it wouldn't pass the signal straight to the power amp like the HD500 did.
I only read that it would still pass the signal but you wouldn't have control over the topography.

Now I'm freaking out!!!  I've got an expensive DT50 amp and Bogner 4x12 cab that I can't use at all with the Helix.

Were you guys at Line 6 aware that the L6 link doesn't pass the signal to the power amp but to the preamp of the DT amps when used with the Helix?

That really sucks.

@doug316   Yes I'm using an amp patch in the Helix. What is happening is that when I go into the DT amp via the L6 link it is not working the way it does with the HD500 and is instead sending the signal to the preamp of the DT instead of the power amp section. So it is sounding like crap that way because the full amp patch of the Helix is then hitting the preamp section of the DT amp.
Also...Digital Igloo is the message board nickname of one of the guys at Line 6 who posts here. And as I said, they are aware of it and are going to improve the situation in an upcoming update.

@TheRealZap   Yes, my DT50 is up to date. :)

@cuch  I haven't had time to sort all of that out yet. As I said, I'm going to be onstage on Fremont Street here in Vegas in a few hours. So I mainly concentrated on getting my sounds together in the Helix using my 15" JBL Eon active monitor as my reference to work with. And the Helix sounds freakin' AWESOME through it. And that is the sound I'll have tonight without using my DT50 at all. So I'm just going to use the multi out for it.
When Line6 gets the Helix integrated better...I'll be using the L6 link to go to the DT50 and from there to my Bogner 4x12 Greenback loaded cab. I like to mic that cab. It sounded SOOOOO good with the HD 500 that way. And I know it's gonna sound even better with the Helix because the Helix sounds 100% better than the HD500 just going through the JBL Eon speaker. :)

Yo, take note of the comments by Radatats and Cipherhost, regarding using the DTEdit software via MIDI connection, to reconfigure your DT to disable the onboard preamps. Yes, this is totally possible. And, you can still configure the power topology, even with no preamp model, no cab model, no mic model.

Get the MIDI going, and give it a try. Should achieve what you want with L6Link and Helix.

You load up DTEdit, connect the DT with MIDI cables to your midi interface to the computer. In the amp model list, you can choose "none" or something like that, no amp. You still have the option to set all the power settings though. Works great for using variax or acoustic guitar. When you do this, the gain and channel knobs on the DT will not work, but the master volume will still work.

Been using DT edit with my amp for a long time brother so I'm familiar with what you're saying.
BUT...as I said, the He​lix is sending weird signals as well as routing to the preamp.
For instance...the minute you connect Helix to the DT50, the toplogy indicators go dark. There is no I, II, III, or IV

It's just not workable at the moment. But as I also said a bit earlier, I have been told via private messaging that this is being addressed in the next major update to Helix. It has now become one of the priorities. So for the moment I'm going to use 1/4" cable to the effects return and have the DT50 set to topology IV. :)

And soon, we will have that L6 link working again. Not to change topologies...but at least to get that signal in to the DT50 correctly.

​

• Upvote 1

So the DT and HD must go through a handshake process during power up. If the DT sees a particular signal from the L6 Link, it slaves itself to the HD and bypasses the DT preamp and conforms to the topology set in the HD patch. Even if you have a cable plugged into the DT's L6 Link without a powered up HD, it goes into DT standalone mode and enables the last used topology. It seems like Helix has a signal that the DT recognizes as connected to an HD, but it never receives further communication and hangs, which is why it never indicates a topology. DTEdit should tell you what your DT configuration is, but there might be some MIDI communication issues when the DT thinks it is connect to an HD via L6 Link. 

It seems odd that Line 6 did not forewarn exactly how the DT would react to the L6 Link connection from Helix. Somebody must have at least tried using L6 Link with a DT at some point, don't you think? Maybe not, but I think I remember reading that when using two DT amps via L6 Link, that they get hard L and R signals like a pair of StageSource amps. 

Ultimately, it would be nice for the L6 Link signal to go directly to the DT power amp section since there is a MIDI work around for topology changes (even though that's really kind of lame), but when I really think about it, the Helix was not designed for a DT amp or any other typical guitar amp. It seems to me it was designed for the StageSource or the Matrix FR212 or other FR amplification products.

• Upvote 1

It seems odd that Line 6 did not forewarn exactly how the DT would react to the L6 Link connection from Helix. Somebody must have at least tried using L6 Link with a DT at some point, don't you think? Maybe not, but I think I remember reading that when using two DT amps via L6 Link, that they get hard L and R signals like a pair of StageSource amps. 

Indeed. And there's even a DT in the background of the latest YouTube videos (artist demos). 

They could benefit so much from open communication. We get it...this is tech, and you can't release all features in 1.0 and get the product out. But why in the world don't they officially address the issues that correspond to their flagship marketing message (Dream Rig)?

I think @CipherHost is right on -- the behavior is suspicious of an incomplete protocol handshake. Any deeper speculation is just that. The real answer about whether the irresponsible abandonment of the DT series is happening or not and I don't get why we must be left in the dark.

As I said earlier...after I originally did the first post, Digital Igloo wrote me and told me that they are working on getting the integration with the DT amps via L6 link.

So it appears to me that they are working on it and will correct the problem in the near future. :)​

As I said earlier...after I originally did the first post, Digital Igloo wrote me and told me that they are working on getting the integration with the DT amps via L6 link.

So it appears to me that they are working on it and will correct the problem in the near future. :)​

With all due respect to the Igloo, that's not good enough! IMO there needs to be an official public statement from Line 6 about what the intended DT support will be in the Helix. I cannot think of any good reason why they would not do so, other than they know we will be disappointed and it will decrease sales. 

Illegal? You've to be kidding.

Nope, and we've discussed it ad nauseum on more than a dozen threads. Basically, it deals with deferred revenue, trade law, and believe it or not, Enron. No company is allowed to promise (or by extension, state something that could be inferred as a promise) anything without deferring revenue until said promise is fulfilled. Smaller independent companies, while still on the hook, are rarely baited, but larger, publicly-traded companies such as Line 6's parent, Yamaha, are under close scrutiny at all times.

The only reason Apple's able to announce products or features many months in advance is because they have billions in cash and can afford to defer revenue.

• Upvote 1

Or, as has been stated many times... it's illegal for us to talk about what's coming.

I understand that there are NDA's in place for publicly traded companies on products that have not been released. I work for one and am bound by those same rules.

I would expect that there is a solution to the DT amp integration coming in the next few months, but until it is out and proven to work effectively, I won't buy the Helix. There is just too much that is unknown and not enough people using the Helix/DT combo at this point.

Nope, and we've discussed it ad nauseum on more than a dozen threads. Basically, it deals with deferred revenue, trade law, and believe it or not, Enron. No company is allowed to promise (or by extension, state something that could be inferred as a promise) anything without deferring revenue until said promise is fulfilled. Smaller independent companies, while still on the hook, are rarely baited, but larger, publicly-traded companies such as Line 6's parent, Yamaha, are under close scrutiny at all times.

The only reason Apple's able to announce products or features many months in advance is because they have billions in cash and can afford to defer revenue.

I searched a bit and didn't find anything--@Digital_Igloo do you happen to have any references online to the law? I'm very curious and would like to learn more about it.

I searched a bit and didn't find anything--@Digital_Igloo do you happen to have any references online to the law? I'm very curious and would like to learn more about it.

I'm not an accountant, so you pretty much know as much as I do now, but I trust Line 6's accountants: Deferred Revenue on Wikipedia.

When Enron screwed all those people over, a bunch of trade laws were enacted to ensure the same thing couldn't happen again.

I'm not an accountant, so you pretty much know as much as I do now, but I trust Line 6's accountants: Deferred Revenue on Wikipedia.

When Enron screwed all those people over, a bunch of trade laws were enacted to ensure the same thing couldn't happen again.

Thanks. Sounds like it's a matter of interpretation (a very conservative one in this case), I wonder if there are any cases or precedent on a more direct application of this to a situation like this one. It's bad for everyone to prohibit companies from outlining roadmaps. I'm all for requiring disclaimers that future features are planned but not promised, etc.

No comment necessary, just putting it out there. This is important enough for this and future product releases, so I hope Line 6's legal team has investigated this thoroughly enough to be certain. As-is, I really feel like lack of DS support out of the gate can really sour the reputation of Line 6, a company that has the loyalty of many customers around the world.

Any legal team will decide on avoiding a risk... even if they think you might win a case if it went to court.... they would surely advise you not to even risk going to court... etc.

you might not like it.... but you'll get further calling a senator than you will be laying it down for DI in these forums....  (and the senator is a longshot as well...)

Thanks. Sounds like it's a matter of interpretation (a very conservative one in this case), I wonder if there are any cases or precedent on a more direct application of this to a situation like this one. It's bad for everyone to prohibit companies from outlining roadmaps. I'm all for requiring disclaimers that future features are planned but not promised, etc.

No comment necessary, just putting it out there. This is important enough for this and future product releases, so I hope Line 6's legal team has investigated this thoroughly enough to be certain. As-is, I really feel like lack of DS support out of the gate can really sour the reputation of Line 6, a company that has the loyalty of many customers around the world.

• Downvote 1

Hold on a second!  The DT25 Guitar Amplifier Pilot's Guide plainly states the following on page 6:

• Changing Tone settings (for example) on either the POD HD or
DT25 immediately updates the other, with the result that both
units stay perfectly in sync.

• “Edit†a preset on a POD HD by simply turning knobs on the DT25
as one would on any other guitar amp, then save it on the POD HD
to perfectly recall every time the preset is selected.

So if the knobs work while the HD500X is controlling the DT, they could do the same with Helix.

I posted the following on TGP earlier this evening:

I got a chance to play around with MIDI and my DT25. It's really easy to accomplish. First I set up a new preset with the German Ubersonic Preamp. Then I connected a MIDI cable from the Helix MIDI Out/Thru to the DT25 MIDI In and added 2 instant commands to my preset. The first command was MIDI CC 19 and Value 65 to select channel B on the amp (which probably wasn't even necessary). The second command was MIDI CC 89 and Value 21 to select the Bomber Uber Amp along with the default cab and settings. When I switched to my preset, the amp instantly went to Channel B, Class A/B, Pentode and Topology 4. Plus it sounds great. 

This was a really simple way to set up the DT25. Once I get used to doing this I figure it will add a couple minutes to creating a preset. If I had wanted, I could have gone much deeper and changed cabs, mics and other settings as well with additional MIDI commands.

I think I did this correctly. What I'm unsure of is whether or not I ran an Uberschall Preamp (Helix) into an Uberschall Preamp (DT25) and then into a cab, essentially stacking 2 preamps. I don't think so because turning off the preamp block in Helix takes all the gain out and gives me a nice clean tone.

One other thing is that the DT will remain on those settings until it receives additional MIDI commands, as in another preset telling it to change it's configuration.

By the way, this is the first time I've ever used MIDI commands.

While this is a workable solution, it would be much simpler, and quicker, for Line 6 to add DT functionality to Helix, which they're probably working on.

Right now I'm running out of the 1/4" left out of the Helix into the effects return of the DT amp.

At first it didn't sound all that great to me. But then I read a post where Digitaligloo said that a lot of guitar amps effects send and return is at instrument level.

So I went into global settings and changed the 1/4" outs to "instrument" level (they are "line" level by default).  That seemed to do the trick. I think the line level was possibly overloading the effects return of the DT amp.

Anyway, I'm not changing topography's. That was always a loud "pop" that I didn't like when I was using my HD500 with full functionality. I ended up changing all the topographies to IV (which sounded the best with the Treadplate in the HD500 which I used for my main sound).
And that's what I did now with the Helix. I just set the topography on IV and leave it there. Nice and easy and it sounds great.

This will have to do until they can get the Helix L6 link working correctly. ​​​​​

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Helix from Sweetwater, while they still had the 36 monthly payment offer. They said they are expecting a delivery soon, hopefully I wont have to wait too long.  I have a Dt25 combo and a DT50 head.  I really like the sound of the DT amp, I must admit I've struggled getting a tone I was truely satisfied with the pod hd500x. I've tried the 4cm and read through several guides to get a tone dialed in.  I'm hoping they will release an update that will allow connecting a Dt amp to a Helix via the Link 6 link. The interface of the Helix looks much more intuitive then the Pod and not having to connect to a laptop is a plus.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just saw a DT25 for $600 at a major retailer. They were very anxious to move it, and they said that Line 6 was closing them out. 

I've been very excited about Helix because it looks like the first preamp that actually has a good user interface on it and all the features I've ever wanted. The DT's have that for the tube power, I see no reason to ever buy another Line 6 amp, especially if they obsolete the DT series. I can only hope they'll release a modest upgrade but still support the existing line. 

I'd like to know what Line 6's thinking was when they developed the preset TEMPLATES -> 04D DT25-DT50 Remote.

I know this preset is mostly to show off how to use MIDI to control switching channels, triode/pentode, Reverb and Class A/AB, but I don't understand why they stacked 2 preamps which will be going into the DT preamp.  Effectively it's stacking 3 preamps!

It does sound good though.

I think I might give that 'disable the DT preamp thru DT Edit' thing a go.

Just got my Helix last night. Updated the firmware to 1.03.0. This morning I hooked it up to my DT25. When I first turned everything on the topologies for the DT25 went dark as everyone has mentioned. Just for the heck of it I toggled the A/B switch and lo and behold I was able to change the topologies. I set the amp to IV, A/B and Pentode. I set the controls to Gain=0, Bass, Mid, Treble and Presence to 12 o'clock, Reverb=0 and the Volume to about 3 o'clock. Sounds pretty good. I also hooked up to my PA and the amp is pretty close to the FOH feed. I think this will work for me. :)

I gave DT Edit a try yesterday and, although it's a terrific and well designed program, it doesn't seem to be necessary to get amazing sounds out of Helix and a DT amp.

I believe I can get everything I need out of the DT with a L6 Link cable and a MIDI cable.

I set up a few presets and they sound amazing.  I'll be uploading some to CustomTone later today.

Since Helix can transmit 6 instant MIDI commands when a preset is selected, I set up 3 of those commands to turn off the preamp, load the cab I want and switch to the correct topology.  Then I set up 3 of the footswitches to allow toggling between Class A/AB, Triode/Pentode and Reverb On/Off.

This works perfectly and sounds awesome!

I'm getting ready to experiment with it some more now.  I think I'll even try a dual amp preset that switches topologies per amp.

I tried mine without pre amp but it didn't sound good. A bit muffled, no clarity.

When I activate the pre amp it's pretty good but I don't want to use the HD pre amp for obvious reasons.

I found that turning of the cabs in the DT made it better, I guess because the cab sims in HD aren't very good.

Could you detail exactly what you're doing to get great tone out of the DT with Helix?

Thanks!

I gave DT Edit a try yesterday and, although it's a terrific and well designed program, it doesn't seem to be necessary to get amazing sounds out of Helix and a DT amp.

I believe I can get everything I need out of the DT with a L6 Link cable and a MIDI cable.

I set up a few presets and they sound amazing.  I'll be uploading some to CustomTone later today.

Since Helix can transmit 6 instant MIDI commands when a preset is selected, I set up 3 of those commands to turn off the preamp, load the cab I want and switch to the correct topology.  Then I set up 3 of the footswitches to allow toggling between Class A/AB, Triode/Pentode and Reverb On/Off.

This works perfectly and sounds awesome!

I'm getting ready to experiment with it some more now.  I think I'll even try a dual amp preset that switches topologies per amp.