Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2m or l2t

capdoogie

Maybe a line 6 guru can chime in. Want to run the helix thru the l2t or l2m. Since the l6 link doesn't switch the l2t or l2m, is it better to just get l2m and save $. Or is this a function that might be added in the future with a firmware update? My setup will be guitar-Helix-l2m or t. Thru to FOH. Lastly, if l6 link does not really do any proprietary switching is it better to just run xlr out to frfr?

The only difference between the 2 is that the "t" has the built in 2ch mixer with fx other than that they are the same and are FRFR  and have "mix out" that can go straight to your FOH, although it's only a $100 more you never know when that may come in handy for a small coffee house type gig where you don't want to bring a pa you can plug a mic and another guitar into it.

The main difference between the L2m and the L2t is the L2t adds DSP reverb and EQ and acoustic modeling, along with additional inputs. It's kind of more suited to be used a small standalone PA system. If you're never going to use those feature, the L2m is probably fine. As far as the L6 Link, it provides a digital audio connection, so it theoretically going to be less noisy than an analog connection. What sort of proprietary switching are you referring to exactly? The L6 Link connection even the HD500X doesn't do a whole lot with the StageSource speakers as far as switching. It does automatically set them to electric guitar mode, iirc. The switching functionality has to do more with the DT amps.

I ordered the L2t and after consideration I realised that until things get sorted out over the digital control of the L2t, I could use the L2t in electric guitar mode and connect my acoustic via the onboard mixer and EQ it to sound more like a acoustic.

I ordered the L2t and after consideration I realised that until things get sorted out over the digital control of the L2t, I could use the L2t in electric guitar mode and connect my acoustic via the onboard mixer and EQ it to sound more like a acoustic.

the T has the acoustic modeling built in, that's one more thing is has that the M dose not.

We recommend to use the L2's in PA/Reference mode when used with modelers. The "Electric Guitar" setting emulates a guitar cab so you would not get the expected results with the cab modeling in the modeler active. The "Acoustic Guitar" setting changes the crossover frequency. An acoustic guitar in "PA/ Reference" mode sound exactly how that guitar should sound through a good FRFR speaker.

Long story short- "PA/Reference" mode is the FRFR mode and is the only mode where what you hear is exactly the same as you are sending to FoH. I would recommend using "PA/ Reference."

The L2t would give you the advantage of being able to plug your acoustic guitar into the side panel mixer and using the acoustic modeling, effects and eq of the speaker. This would be send to FoH through the XLR out on the speaker. You can, of course, also plug the acoustic into the modeler and then you would not need the "t" version of the speaker.

The Line6 Link connection gives you an AD- DA conversion less- better sound quality and lower latency.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the clarification, I was also wondering what is the difference between the two since they look identical and are almost the same price.  For a little extra money I will buy the L2T because I just sold my Fishman acoustic guitar amp- since I sold all my acoustic guitars... bought a JTV, just ordered a HD500X... and hoping to "get it all" from a JTV/HD500X/L2T.  "Hope springs eternal."  But if I ever need a standalone "acoustic guitar amp" I can use the L2T.

Very important: The advice about switching to PA/Reference mode when using a modeler.  I just (an hour ago) read a review of the L2T (in German, I live here) where the guy tested the L2T using a Kemper Profiler, but he switched the L2T to "Electric Guitar" mode... and then he said the L2T is great, but not really suitable as a replacement for a guitar amp with 12" cab.  And that was from a guy who reviews gear for a living. 

Very important: The advice about switching to PA/Reference mode when using a modeler. I just (an hour ago) read a review of the L2T (in German, I live here) where the guy tested the L2T using a Kemper Profiler, but he switched the L2T to "Electric Guitar" mode... and then he said the L2T is great, but not really suitable as a replacement for a guitar amp with 12" cab. And that was from a guy who reviews gear for a living.

I'll have to disagree with that assessment. FRFR rigs have replaced "real" amps for plenty of us. And I know I'll get hammered for this...but the attachment to a tube rig is largely emotional. We all get used to things, and change sucks. But once you learn to use the gear, you can coax just about any sound you want it of it. Play with the various output modes and see what works...just don't bother with "electric guitar mode" for your acoustic tones. That ain't gonna fly.

I'll have to disagree with that assessment. FRFR rigs have replaced "real" amps for plenty of us. And I know I'll get hammered for this...but the attachment to a tube rig is largely emotional. We all get used to things, and change sucks. But once you learn to use the gear, you can coax just about any sound you want it of it. Play with the various output modes and see what works...just don't bother with "electric guitar mode" for your acoustic tones. That ain't gonna fly.

I got your point, but my point was that even somebody who reviews guitar rigs for a living did not understand that a modeler should run into a FRFR for best results.  I personally concluded a while ago that it didn't make a lot of sense to run a modeler whether a Pod or a RP1000 etc into the input of a guitar amp.  And if you run it into the power amp only, why bother to have a guitar amp with a preamp section.  Yes the logical conclusion is to get a FRFR.  Looks like I may also be headed in the L2T direction as soon as I sell a few more of my guitars :-)   Then I will see the look on the face of my lead guitar player who has been playing a 1979 Strat... since 1981.

I got your point, but my point was that even somebody who reviews guitar rigs for a living did not understand that a modeler should run into a FRFR for best results. I personally concluded a while ago that it didn't make a lot of sense to run a modeler whether a Pod or a RP1000 etc into the input of a guitar amp. And if you run it into the power amp only, why bother to have a guitar amp with a preamp section. Yes the logical conclusion is to get a FRFR. Looks like I may also be headed in the L2T direction as soon as I sell a few more of my guitars :-) Then I will see the look on the face of my lead guitar player who has been playing a 1979 Strat... since 1981.

Sometimes it's difficult to teach an old guitar player new tricks...but hey, could be worse. We could be talking about the drummer. Can't teach them anything, no matter how old they are. Sit, fetch...never mind, drink this beer. ;)