Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multiple Assign Effect on more than 1 footswitch.

glassjawslipknot

Here is what I'm attempting to accomplish.

1. Footswitch 1 has a wah pedal assigned to it. I can click it on and use EXP 1 or 2 to do the wah.

This works just fine. 

2. I want to assign a second foot switch to not only turn on the wah pedal, but I also want it to simultaneously turn on a flanger. So I hit the footswitch and both the wah pedal and flanger are kicked on.

I've been able to multiple assign both the wah and flanger to come on at the same time with a footswitch. BUT it un-assigns what ever i had the wah assigned to previously.

So my question is how do you assign the wah to both footswitches? I suppose I could get around the problem by introducing a second wah into the pedal chain, but thats a goofy work around to something that I think I should be able to do with 1 effect.

A single block can only be assigned to one switch. We do this because otherwise, it'd be really easy to get into a completely jacked up state where mental gymnastics would be required to get back to where you were. You could, however, assign the mix parameter to another switch (if the particular block has one).

So if you've got a song in which you use the same delay but with 6 different set of values for mix and feedback, depending on the part of the song.

You can't have 1 footswitch assigned to the first set of values, another for another set, etc.?

That's a really common case for me, so how can I achieve that with Helix?

I'm thinking about it, but I can't seem to see why you would made such a choice. It's really restrictive!

Does it mean you can't even do like on the M13, having a set of three blocs, and only one can be active at the same time?

On the M13, I solved my 6 state delay problem by having three delays on the same columnn, each having two states depending on the expression pedal position (up or down). It's not perfect, but it was close enough... so I can't do that with the Helix? (without having to press more than once to change from a state to another)

• Upvote 1

OK, if I'm right in my two previous posts (I'm hoping not ^^), does this workaround would work:

- having the delay feedback assigned to a midi controller (So it can respond to another MIDI-sending device, we can do that right?)

- having the delay mix assigned to another midi controller

- having switches sending a MIDI command to a PC with a MIDI software like Bome Midi Translator. Then, the PC sends back different values for the delay mix  and feedback parameters.

That's not ideal and seems to go against the Helix "ease of use" paradigm, but if that could work, I could live with it, and it stays easier than my actual setup! :) ...

I'm not sure if any product does what you want, but try this:

1. Connect a MIDI cable from Helix's MIDI out to MIDI in. Be sure to set Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru to "Off."
  2. Assign a MIDI CC message to various footswitches. Don't use a Helix Global CC (listed on page 48 of the manual).
  3. On the Controller Assign page, set feedback to respond to the CC message selected in step 2. You'll likely have to fine tune the CC values to recall the desired delay feedback values.

Sometimes ease of use means purposely avoiding edge case functionality, while retaining solutions (MIDI loopback) for guys who are willing to dive a bit deeper.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if any product does what you want, but try this:

1. Connect a MIDI cable from Helix's MIDI out to MIDI in. Be sure to set Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru to "Off."
  2. Assign a MIDI CC message to various footswitches. Don't use a Helix's Global CC (listed on page 48 of the manual).
  3. On the Controller Assign page, set feedback to respond to the CC message selected in step 2. You'll likely have to fine tune the CC values to recall the desired delay feedback values.

Sometimes ease of use means purposely avoiding edge case functionality, while retaining solutions (MIDI loopback) for guys who are willing to dive a bit deeper.

Thank you for your answer.

A lot of MIDI controllers are doing that (Gordius Little GIant, RJM Music Mastermind, ...), and that's why currently I'm using one to control a M13, as the M13 didn't allow me to do a lot of these things. Simple things like activate a boost and start to record a loop at the same time (meaning with one click).

If we could program a little more the Helix, that would really be the perfect portable all-in-one solution. For now I will get rid of my MIDI controller, but it's only because of either your workaround with the MIDI cable, either I will use it connected to a PC with Bome Midi Translator, that will allow me some more complicated MIDI programming.

I understand the choices you have to made between simplicity and possibility. But as you seem to aim at the pro musicians, maybe a little more footswitch programming would be something to consider? You pitch the Helix as the center of our rig, but there's a lot of missing features for that. Just have a look at the Gordius Little Giant manual. THIS is a rig control center :) ... (EXP pedal reassignment, variables, timers, ...) (but it lacks scribbles)

Also, another question, I remember having read something on that, but I can't manage to find it again: I know you can send several MIDI messages on preset change, but what about footswitches? Can a click on a footswitch send several messages? If yes, great. If no:

1/ Is it something planned in the future?

2/ Your workaround doesn't work if you need to set several parameters at the same time with different values. I will have to connect it to a PC to program having one signal received and several sent back.

On 10/11/2015 at 9:12 AM, Nurn said:

Also, another question, I remember having read something on that, but I can't manage to find it again: I know you can send several MIDI messages on preset change, but what about footswitches? Can a click on a footswitch send several messages? If yes, great. If no:

1/ Is it something planned in the future?

2/ Your workaround doesn't work if you need to set several parameters at the same time with different values. I will have to connect it to a PC to program having one signal received and several sent back.

Ah, gotcha. There are lots of higher-end MIDI controllers that can spit out SysEx and System Common messages to control literally every function within a Roland product (as Roland's MIDI implementation is DEEP). It's quite a bit different with an all-in-one system, where everyday programming needs to solve 95% of what your average person will throw at it. Admit it—you and I are probably in that last 5%. (It's a compliment!)

1) Currently, switches on Helix will only send one MIDI message, but there's nothing preventing us from expanding this. We'd just need votes on IdeaScale. The only tricky thing is that anything that adds to a preset's size (and this includes Command Center messages) will add to preset load time. So it's about finding balance.

2) Correct.

For the record, these are the types of threads that I find the most fun. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Ah, gotcha. There are lots of higher-end MIDI controllers that can spit out SysEx and System Common messages to control literally every function within a Roland product (as Roland's MIDI implementation is DEEP). It's quite a bit different with an all-in-one system, where everyday programming needs to solve 95% of what your average person will throw at it. Admit it—you and I are probably in that last 5%. (It's a compliment!)

For the record, these are the types of threads that I find the most fun. Cheers!

Didn't see the first part (or the last part) of the message, happy to see I'm not too annoying with my questions :)

My band is an experimental/noise/progressive band with long songs that may have a lot of parts in it. I often use the same base tone, but use a lot of different delays settings. And on stage, I don't like to have to "dance" with footswitches, so I have programmed my rig to have the less presses possible.

It would have been nice to be able to do that kind of "high-end MIDI controller" stuff on the Helix, but as I must have a computer on stage anyway for other reasons, so I'll manage to do that with a software. In any case, the Helix will simplify my setup anyway (it will replace a Gordius Little Giant, a M13, and a few pedals because I was too limited in terms of number of effects in the M13). And as I will feed it into two amps (Orange & Koch), the fact to be able to have different effects sent into each amps plus add a few effects on my backing vocal mic will be a great improvement! Can't wait to receive it. Hopefully quickly enough as I go in studio end of december :)

My band is an experimental/noise/progressive band with long songs that may have a lot of parts in it. I often use the same base tone, but use a lot of different delays settings. And on stage, I don't like to have to "dance" with footswitches, so I have programmed my rig to have the less presses possible.

Cool. I make shoegazey noise rock, and as I'm building my MainStage/Helix rig, I'll probably be posting tips and tricks for getting the most out of complex automated rigs.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

A single block can only be assigned to one switch. We do this because otherwise, it'd be really easy to get into a completely jacked up state where mental gymnastics would be required to get back to where you were. You could, however, assign the mix parameter to another switch (if the particular block has one).

I could do this with the boss gt100 set one effect to two switches at the same time and I used this feature alot really hope to see it on the future updates on helix its the one thing that I miss about the boss gt100

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Being able to use more than one switch to toggle the same effect/block is the first thing I missed from my GT-10!  Really an essential feature for me too....   Can't believe a unit of this quality lacks this flexibility...

As for "We do this because otherwise, it'd be really easy to get into a completely jacked up state where mental gymnastics would be required to get back to where you were."   Well this was never an issue for me before, and if you get into a state, just leave the preset and return to it and you're back to the default saved state...?

As for "We do this because otherwise, it'd be really easy to get into a completely jacked up state where mental gymnastics would be required to get back to where you were."   Well this was never an issue for me before, and if you get into a state, just leave the preset and return to it and you're back to the default saved state...?

Or we have a better solution looming...

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Or we have a better solution looming...

Snapshots—Select one of eight snapshots to instantly recall all block on/off states, up to 64 parameter values, certain Command Center values, and tempo.

Awesome!  Thanks very much guys!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Snapshots are really great but it doesn't solve being able to assign one effect to 2 switches as a stomp at the same time, yes you can have 2 different snapshots but you have to go back and forth between 2 different switches wich is confusing to me because I'm so use to stepping on the switch that is lit up like a stomp "on and off" so if I could have delay assigned to a footswitch but also assigned to the expression toe switch I could kick the delay only on at one point in the song but later kick the toe switch on and I would have wah and delay with one switch, much easier and faster then having to hit both, if that makes any sense?

Snapshots are really great but it doesn't solve being able to assign one effect to 2 switches as a stomp at the same time, yes you can have 2 different snapshots but you have to go back and forth between 2 different switches wich is confusing to me because I'm so use to stepping on the switch that is lit up like a stomp "on and off" so if I could have delay assigned to a footswitch but also assigned to the expression toe switch I could kick the delay only on at one point in the song but later kick the toe switch on and I would have wah and delay with one switch, much easier and faster then having to hit both, if that makes any sense?

2 instances of the same effect might work. You just have to be aware to not have both on at the same time.

ps. nice thread revival. :)

Good to be back! I realize this is an old thread but I am back to using the helix exclusively now and have got rid of almost all my amps! Just really wish I could assign one effect to more than one footswitch, if line 6 is worried about people getting confused with this they could set up a global setting so you could turn multiple assign on or off that way someone who wants to keep it simple can but for someone like me I could assign any effect to any or as many switches as I want, the way it should be!

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:37 AM, sbuffie said:

Good to be back! I realize this is an old thread but I am back to using the helix exclusively now and have got rid of almost all my amps! Just really wish I could assign one effect to more than one footswitch, if line 6 is worried about people getting confused with this they could set up a global setting so you could turn multiple assign on or off that way someone who wants to keep it simple can but for someone like me I could assign any effect to any or as many switches as I want, the way it should be!

is there an ideascale entry for that too?

• 4 years later...
On 2/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, a6strng said:

Here it is in 2024 and I have the same issue and want a resolution. Have you come up with one yet? Have they implemented such an idea?

Other than snapshots, there's really no logical way to accomplish this.

Two things.  First, you don’t need to assign a FS to turn wah on/off.  You can assign that to the expression pedal itself.  I’m not talking about a toe switch in the pedal, but rather you can assign it so when the pedal value is zero (pedal all the way towards heel) the wah effect is off, and goes on as soon as you use it.  If you do that, you don’t need the dual-use FS you describe.  Just make a FS for the flanger, then use your wah pedal and it will do what you want..

Second, if you really want a FS for the wah, you can do what you describe with a snapshot, and you can assign the snapshot to a FS that you can access in stomp mode.