Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Crashed - had to factory reset

cdt123

So have used the Helix since Thursday. This morning I updated to lastest firmware. Restarted etc., and used the device all morning. Turned it off, used it again, turned off and took it to band practice - turned it on and BAM. Wouldn't boot up. The HELIX logo came up and the spirals were twirling, but it got stuck and only one footswitch scribble strip showed one of the presets I had made, and the 11 and 12 FS buttons were lit red. Nothing else was working or showing. No buttons worked. I restarted 3 times and same thing. In the end I did a factory reset....It seems to have worked. Lost about 4 presents I had made, and the ones that I made that got rebuilt are not correctly named and are a bit messed up.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas? If someone from Line 6 can respond I am happy to answer questions for trouble shooting. Thx.

Campbell

• Upvote 1

Just booted up and it locked. Only the top row of scribble strips had writing.

Updated last night, set to factory presets by holding 7/8 footswitches down. And then reinstalled my set list with 11 song presets that I tweaked. Everything looked good when I shut down last night.

So I shut down, did a factory reset and reinstalled the set list. It took 2 tries of resetting, but it seems to be ok now.

I am running the new update version 1.01.2. My Helix locked up too! No amount of restarting would restore it. The failure occurred when I switched from the Factory presets to a quite simple one I had created in the "User1" list and the unit locked up. The board would only display in the upper scribble strip, Helix logo was frozen. All knobs, buttons, and footswitches were locked up. Nothing I pressed, turned, cajoled, or ridiculed made any changes to the screen. I did the factory reset procedure 1. Press the two leftmost footswitches (7 & 8) on the bottom row while turning the Helix on. 2. Release the buttons when the resetting message come on the screen.

I believe there is a very serious and grave problem, as in it causes the unit to become a zombie with the new update, although it can be resuscitated with a factory preset. I am wondering if everyone running into this issue is having it happen after they create a user patch and try to use it and are you also all on the latest firmware? 

Same issue here, the only way through was to press FS7/FS8 on reboot to reset all presets, including the ones that I hadn't save :(

@Plastalmonus: I'm in Brisbane and I got my Helix last Friday - had pre-ordered 3 months ago though :)

Same issue here, the only way through was to press FS7/FS8 on reboot to reset all presets, including the ones that I hadn't save :(

@Plastalmonus: I'm in Brisbane and I got my Helix last Friday - had pre-ordered 3 months ago though :)

Wha?! I preordered maybe 2 months ago and got told they are in the process of being shipped here (literally shipped) by the distributor and are expected by about the last week if October. Did you get it locally or special order/air mail?

I'm not sure, but I think anytime that you do an update, Line 6 recommends a factory reset (just be sure to save any patches that you don't want to lose). I seem to remember having to do the same thing on my HD500 updates.

Edit-It looks like Line 6 says the factory reset is an option, but I always did a reset after updating my 500. Never had a problem with updates. Just my 2 cents.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that my Rack won't be coming until later.  Hopefully some of the issues will be resolved by then.  This happens with everything though.  I remember with my Kemper units there was the odd release that was all of sudden trumped with another release due to issues.  It happens.  

Wha?! I preordered maybe 2 months ago and got told they are in the process of being shipped here (literally shipped) by the distributor and are expected by about the last week if October. Did you get it locally or special order/air mail?

Got it from Music Express in Brisbane, AFAIK it was the first one available in town.

• 2 months later...

Got Helix today.
So, to get at fresh start I decided to update the firmware to the latest one, having in mind that Line 6 should have added reverse delay, which I aim to use.
The update failed, and kept failing.
The Helic update window kept asking "Try again" - and nothing else.
Since i did'nt work, I disconnected the Helix.
But now it was stuck with update-failure business,
Restarting holding 7-8 down or anything else, had no effect.
It is dead, and I must live with that.
But I can't, so first monday after christmas, I'm returning it. 
So many things went wrong, starting with a very bad Line 6 support page with wrong links to software

and not-very-helpfull messages.
So, I kind-of lost enthusaism and I think I'll switch to HD 500X which I know will do the job.
Sad, because I could absolutley use a more sophisticated devise. 

And that might be a version XX bug-free Helix in af year or 2.
Claus.

• Upvote 1

What type of system are you trying to do the update with? This sounds like the sort of thing that might have something to do with the Updater app not playing nice with your computer and/or operating system.

One thing you might want to try is downloading and updating the flash file outside of the updater and using the updater in offline mode.

Got Helix today.

So, to get at fresh start I decided to update the firmware to the latest one, having in mind that Line 6 should have added reverse delay, which I aim to use.

So many things went wrong, starting with a very bad Line 6 support page with wrong links to software

So, I kind-of lost enthusaism and I think I'll switch to HD 500X which I know will do the job.

Claus.

Greetings!

I am sorry you had a bad experience with our support system. I would suggest opening a ticket with our support team in order to help you resolve the issue.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

However, to add to what Phil_M mentioned, the problem is most likely your updater. Make sure you are using Line 6 Updater for the Helix and not Monkey. Here is a link for the download, select Line 6 Updater from the "All Software" drop down:

http://line6.com/software/

What type of system are you trying to do the update with? This sounds like the sort of thing that might have something to do with the Updater app not playing nice with your computer and/or operating system.

One thing you might want to try is downloading and updating the flash file outside of the updater and using the updater in offline mode.

Hi, and thanx for interesst. I'm using windows 8, and I did use Line 6 Updater. However Helix is so dead that i won't connect to pc. All i does is this message about failure to update. 

Restart holding any combination of buttons is ignored. 

There seems to be a problem with Line 6 Helix homepage, this one: http://line6.com/software/
Here we go to get the updater for the Helix, which is the leftmost one.
The Helix updater process is then discussed, It would be obvious to conclude this with a DIRECT LINK to the updater.

No so. There is a link to another site. This one: 
http://line6.com/support/topic/16908-helix-fw-1041-and-helix-app-102-now-available/?hl=helix+firmwar
More discussion on this page. 
10 lines below: A link, this one: http://line6.com/software  (could that be the link to the updater?)

Not. This link takes you right back to where you came from! 
And stll no link to the updater. :mellow: 
At this point I think I recon I have missed something. Same procedure reveal that nothing was missed. 
The link just wasn't there.
Now trying different things, amongst flickering with the 3 black stripes at the top of the window, results in this page:
http://line6.com/software/index.html
Now, here you once again can read most of what you already had red before, but now with download links. :D 
Thank you! For some time I thought that the link just wasn't there since all this page crawling for no obvious reson.
I just wanted to update my Helix. That's all - so why not just put up with the link??
But I found it.  :) 

That the update process later resulted in a completley frozen Helix is another story...which I do hope will get a happy ending.
Claus, from Karma Music, Copenhagen.

Got Helix today.

Claus.

I'm having the same problem... I tried to apply the 1.04.3 update tonight. Now my screen on the Helix freezes on on the boot screen logo. It doesn't matter which combination of footswitch buttons I hold down; it refuses to reset anything. At the moment, I have a $1,400 paperweight about which I am VERY unhappy!! 

Although I've opened a support ticket for this issue, compared to my past experiences with POD, PODxt, and the Variax (which have been flawless), I have higher expectations of Line 6. This is extremely disappointing... My only consolation is that I had enough sense to keep my (reliable, although heavy) analog rig. If this isn't resolved quickly next week, this is going back for a refund and I'll be taking another look at modelers from Kemper and Fractal Audio.

UPDATE: 1/5/2016

Unable to resolve the issue I was experiencing, Line 6 Support had me send my Helix back to them. They arranged for UPS to pick it, having it shipped overnight to them. They took a look at it upon receipt and confirmed the hardware was defective. They shipped a new Helix to me overnight. In addition to their responsive support, I also appreciated that they opened the new unit and applied the 1.04.3 release update before sending it to me to confirm the replacement unit was not experiencing the same issue. I appreciate their support!!

Same here.   Finally got mine on 12/30.   I was kind of disappointed that it came loaded with FW 1.03, but we can update, right?  Apparently not.  I finally got the chance to unbox it and play with it a while today.   Then I made the mistake of trying to update to 1.04.3.  No go.  Then I tried 1.04.1 and it failed during that update.  My Helix now says FW 1.04.1, but then fails to boot up.   I have ":0" up in the upper left hand corner and it says, "Boot Failure.  Entered Update Mode!".   Unless there is something I can do, I too have a $1500 paperweight.   Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure of what relevance this is, but, I tried downloading the FW 1.04.3 to my computer to try and update the Helix from the saved file.   This didn't work either.  After clicking on the "Accept and Download" button at Line6.com, after a few seconds the screen turned to complete jibberish.   Most of this computer stuff is over my head, but that doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not sure of what relevance this is, but, I tried downloading the FW 1.04.3 to my computer to try and update the Helix from the saved file.   This didn't work either.  After clicking on the "Accept and Download" button at Line6.com, after a few seconds the screen turned to complete jibberish.   Most of this computer stuff is over my head, but that doesn't seem right to me.

It sounds like perhaps you selected "open" rather than "save" when you downloaded the flash file and your OS tried to open it with a text editor or something like that. You need to save the flash file to your computer (the desktop is always an easy place to save stuff like this), then open the updater program in "Offline Mode". When you do that, the program will tell you to select the file you want to send to the Helix, and you should be good to go.

I'm totally confused.  I have tried to download the flash file with Internet Explorer and Firefox.   Firefox seems to download it, but doesn't give me the option to save it.  My only option is to open.   With IE, I get no option to save.  Instead, the screen turns to nonsense after I click the "Accept and Download" button. 

I'm totally confused.  I have tried to download the flash file with Internet Explorer and Firefox.   Firefox seems to download it, but doesn't give me the option to save it.  My only option is to open.   With IE, I get no option to save.  Instead, the screen turns to nonsense after I click the "Accept and Download" button. 

On Firefox, you need to go to the "Tools" menu and select "Options". Under the "General" tab, there's a heading that says Downloads. Click the option that says, "Always ask me where to save files".

post-416571-0-51610700-1451705728_thumb.png

Thanks for your help on this Phil_M, I appreciate it.   Except it's still not working.   I was able to save the file with Firefox, but Helix still errors.   It doesn't seem to want to update and it won't boot up.    I don't get it.   I had a hell of time trying to update my DT25 also.   I ended up having to use my old laptop running XP to update the amp.   It makes me wonder if it's an issue with my desktop running Windows 7 (home edition).   However, it seems to recognize the Helix.  Maddening... 

Thanks for your help on this Phil_M, I appreciate it.   Except it's still not working.   I was able to save the file with Firefox, but Helix still errors.   It doesn't seem to want to update and it won't boot up.    I don't get it.   I had a hell of time trying to update my DT25 also.   I ended up having to use my old laptop running XP to update the amp.   It makes me wonder if it's an issue with my desktop running Windows 7 (home edition).   However, it seems to recognize the Helix.  Maddening...

Is it saving the proper file name extension?

BigRalph - I can only assume so.   I am not changing the name of the file.  I just save it as is.  I hate to join the group of whiners here but....seriously, $1500 is a lot of money for some of us.  A FW update to me seems like something that should be quick and easy, not long and painful...or not at all.   I have been trying to be patient here, but my patience is running thin.   My Dream Rig has served me well and I have been VERY happy with it.  But for $1500, this this SHOULD perform flawlessly.  WTF.