Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A lot of noise from the XLR outputs

Arrow269

Using the helix live for the first time tonight and we went straight to the board with the XLR outputs and there was just a ton of white noise coming in with the signal. Changed cables, inputs etc.

Went 1/4 out to a di and signal was clean. Any advice? Is my unit bad?

POD HD500X's XLR outputs ran at mic level only—Helix's XLR outputs can run either mic or line level, but they're set to line by default. If you run them into the mic preamps found on most live consoles, you'll clip and get a ton of noise.

1. Press MENU and then Knob 6 (Global Settings).
  2. From the Ins/Outs submenu, press [PAGE >] one to get to page 2. Turn Knob 2 (XLR Outputs) to "Mic."

Why would the XLRs default to line level?

I am asking because maybe I am missing a technical reason for running XLR at line level...I don't think the HD500 needed to be changed from line to mic (I run the XLRs all the time to the FOH, maybe I just don't remember doing it)

Why would the XLRs default to line level?

I am asking because maybe I am missing a technical reason for running XLR at line level...I don't think the HD500 needed to be changed from line to mic (I run the XLRs all the time to the FOH, maybe I just don't remember doing it)

If you're plugging straight into a power amp or active monitors (which is actually just another way of plugging straight into a power amp), line level is what you'd want. Technically, even if you're going straight into a mixer, you might be better of at line level and just bypassing the preamp strip. You're right, though, the HD500 XLR outs are always at mic level - they can't be switched. Over on the HD forum,a very common question was, "why are my active monitors so quiet?". So it's a nice addition to be able select between mic and line level.

• Upvote 1

POD HD500X's XLR outputs ran at mic level only—Helix's XLR outputs can run either mic or line level, but they're set to line by default. If you run them into the mic preamps found on most live consoles, you'll clip and get a ton of noise.

2. From the Ins/Outs submenu, press [PAGE >] one to get to page 2. Turn Knob 2 (XLR Outputs) to "Mic."

I'm not the op, but this tip helped me last night. Although everything sounded good at home, when I plugged straight into the mixer at rehearsal, everything sounded harsh. Then I remembered this tip, made the change and everything sounded good again. Thanks DI.

White noise suggests a high noise floor, and that goes to gain or an impedance mismatch between devices.

If it's a Mackie board, chances are there is an input trim pot for adjusting level between mic and line inputs.

Most other board will have phantom power. You may want to start with phantom off, until you can determine

whether it is having an affect on the signal.

Phantom power is meant to be used for condenser mics.

• 1 month later...

White noise suggests a high noise floor, and that goes to gain or an impedance mismatch between devices.

If it's a Mackie board, chances are there is an input trim pot for adjusting level between mic and line inputs.

Most other board will have phantom power. You may want to start with phantom off, until you can determine

whether it is having an affect on the signal.

Phantom power is meant to be used for condenser mics.

I have the same issue. don't understand from your answer what should I do,

when changing xlr output to mic level I have the same results

• 4 months later...

For what it is worth, I just got a Helix a week ago and also notice a lot of noise coming out of the XLR outputs.  Same through the Phones output.  Haven't tried other outputs.  I inadvertently noticed when fumbling around for the power switch that when I put my finger on the Variax input the noise when away.  I changed the Input block from Multi to Guitar.  Noise is now gone.

"White noise suggests a high noise floor, and that goes to gain or an

impedance mismatch between devices"----

Your finger is a perfect example, it too has impedance.

Input and output,... impedances must be matched between the devices being used.

• 2 months later...

I play at a church and we are using a really old Yamaha board, set up Helix in XLR Left Out, ton of noise, set it to mic level, still a ton of noise, turned +48V on and off, noise went away for a moment and came back both times, turned +48V off, changed between line and mic a few times, noise remained. Like OP I am stuck using a DI Box and a 1/4". Will be testing out again upstairs in the youth area where we have a Behringer X32, will see what happens.

I have the same issue. don't understand from your answer what should I do,

when changing xlr output to mic level I have the same results

What they are suggesting is that the board simply has noisy preamps, ie a lot of hiss no matter what you plug in to them. However, the less gain you add from the preamps (leave the gain knob turned down), the less noise you should have. So running the Helix at line level and turning the gain on the mixer down would result in less noise. Older/cheaper mixers tend to have noisier preamps, not much you can do about that.