Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix App & Windows 10

robbieb61

I tried that as well.
It crashed. I even tried compatiblity settings on it for Win 8 and Win 7...but it still crashed.​
I need that app!  I wa​nt to be able to back up my patches and also to be able to add IR's

​

This from L6 Support... this is just SO WRONG! At least if they had been up front about this, I wouldn't have wasted a bunch of time.

Sorry about the trouble, but Helix library is not yet compatible with Windows 10. We are currently working on a version and it will be available shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Will - Line 6 Support

Back when I had just upgraded my WIn 8.1 desktop to Win 10, I had a number of crashes on some apps that used to work under Windows 7/8. While looking for a solution, I stumbled upon a comment that someone had fixed many of their Win 10 app crashes by installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributable. I tried it myself and my crashing apps started working again. Apparently, Windows 10 does not install the redistributable by default and/or hoses the existing one if you already have it. For 32-bit, you only need the 32-bit redistributable and for 64-bit you need both 32-bit and 64-bit.

I am not going to say that this will cure your problems as we do not know for sure what is causing it, but I did install it months ago and the Helix App (the Win 7/8 version) that I installed days ago seems to be working just fine for me and I managed to save my patches without crashing. I do not remember ever applying any other crash fixes to my desktop, but I am fully up to date with Widows patches (not that Microsoft will let you have it otherwise).

If you are brave enough to try, you can download it from the Microsoft web site, just go to "Support>By Resource>Download Center" and click on "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 " (About half way down the list under "Popular Downloads"), finally, click "download" to get to the download list. Remember to download and install only 32-bit for 32-bit Windows and both 32-bit and 64-bit for 64-bit Windows. You do not need the "arm" version.

This is just a guess from something I read months ago, please take it with more than just one grain of salt and post back whether it works for you, it might help others who have the same issue.

• Downvote 1

Back when I had just upgraded my WIn 8.1 desktop to Win 10, I had a number of crashes on some apps that used to work under Windows 7/8. While looking for a solution, I stumbled upon a comment that someone had fixed many of their Win 10 app crashes by installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributable. I tried it myself and my crashing apps started working again. Apparently, Windows 10 does not install the redistributable by default and/or hoses the existing one if you already have it. For 32-bit, you only need the 32-bit redistributable and for 64-bit you need both 32-bit and 64-bit.

I am not going to say that this will cure your problems as we do not know for sure what is causing it, but I did install it months ago and the Helix App (the Win 7/8 version) that I installed days ago seems to be working just fine for me and I managed to save my patches without crashing. I do not remember ever applying any other crash fixes to my desktop, but I am fully up to date with Widows patches (not that Microsoft will let you have it otherwise).

If you are brave enough to try, you can download it from the Microsoft web site, just go to "Support>By Resource>Download Center" and click on "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 " (About half way down the list under "Popular Downloads"), finally, click "download" to get to the download list. Remember to download and install only 32-bit for 32-bit Windows and both 32-bit and 64-bit for 64-bit Windows. You do not need the "arm" version.

This is just a guess from something I read months ago, please take it with more than just one grain of salt and post back whether it works for you, it might help others who have the same issue.

Tried it... didn't help. It did, however, take longer to quit the application... I'd close the window and another would open!  :)))

Tried it... didn't help. It did, however, take longer to quit the application... I'd close the window and another would open!   :)))

Wow, I haven't seen that behavior in about 10 years. I had a misconfigured app at the time that was supposed to auto-launch, but the installer pointed it st windows explorer by mistake. Every time I closed it, it popped up again until I went into the registry and cleared it.

Did you manage to close the app so that you could uninstall the redistributable? BTW, the redistributable is not supposed to do this, it is just a library that is missing from Win10 and that some apps require in order to run. Did you get your computer with Win10 pre-installed or was it an upgrade from 8/7?

Wow, I haven't seen that behavior in about 10 years. I had a misconfigured app at the time that was supposed to auto-launch, but the installer pointed it st windows explorer by mistake. Every time I closed it, it popped up again until I went into the registry and cleared it.

Did you manage to close the app so that you could uninstall the redistributable? BTW, the redistributable is not supposed to do this, it is just a library that is missing from Win10 and that some apps require in order to run. Did you get your computer with Win10 pre-installed or was it an upgrade from 8/7?

It took three tries to finally close the app. Win 10 was an upgrade from 7. I'm seriously considering just going back to 7. I haven't uninstalled the redistributable. Thanks for your reply!

I have tried so many different instances of installing win 10 on different computers, some upgrades, some clean, some from 8 and some from 7 (and earlier...).  There hasn't been one install yet that actually went smooth and had 0 problems after it was all set up.  From an old school computer tech, it's always best to leave any Microsuck OS alone until after the first service pack comes out.  Then and only then you MIGHT get things to work the way you want them to.  My advice would be to reset back to Windows 7.  Use what works, besides.. did you read all of that crap about data collection rights and compliance with the NSA in the EULA?  Pretty eff'd up stuff there.

FWIW, I build DAWs for a living (have done so the past 20 years as owner of www.studiocat.com).

Win10x64 has been working well for many of our clients.

Note this is running current generation hardware.

If you're running hardware that's 4+ years old, I'd stick with your current OS.

Win10 is really more like "Win8.5".

The changes weren't that dramatic.

There were memory and performance optimizations for use with tablets.

As a side benefit to tower/rack users, the memory footprint is smaller and the OS is a little more snappy.

Upgrading from Win 8 to 10 is a no-brainer.

From a stable platform like Win 7 though..............I think I'll give them some more time to work out the kinks.

True that.  Both my machines were on 7.(whatever) and were the pro versions.  Laptop switched to 10 at launch and, while definitely faster, I don't think the third party developers took it too seriously.  The Desktop (DAW) remains on 7-n until I am positive...POSITIVE...that it won't f up my access.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I build DAWs for a living (have done so the past 20 years as owner of www.studiocat.com).

Win10x64 has been working well for many of our clients.

Note this is running current generation hardware.

If you're running hardware that's 4+ years old, I'd stick with your current OS.

There were memory and performance optimizations for use with tablets.

As a side benefit to tower/rack users, the memory footprint is smaller and the OS is a little more snappy.

And DX12. Which is pretty big for gamers. Even more so for multi-gpu users.

There are a few pro audio vendors who might disagree

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164417

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=83587&sid=9217ccbc76f55f1002d58be4d74d82cf&start=175

1444945377_158212480_Win_10.PNG

Tomorrow I should get my helix in, I have a new pic with windows 10.

Should I leave helix un updated? And wait till the os10 glitch is fixed?

Damn spell check, I meant I have a new "Pc" not a pic.

So should I stay with firmware that comes on the helix from factory or wait for fix????

I do kinda like easy.

I truly sympathize with everyone struggling with Helix issues on Windows 10 and El Capitan and hope they get it resolved as soon as possible.  Just wanted to share that so far it has worked for me on a Windows 10 laptop with no issues, so there is hope.  Please try Line6's latest recommended process first but if you are having issues this is what worked for me.

I only installed the Helix app and let it install the included Windows driver. The Helix app does not seem to be showing under the Windows 10 selection in the Line6 download page right now so you should choose the Windows 8 selection when you go to download the app. I did NOT use the separate windows driver. If you already installed the driver you may want to uninstall it first and then load up only the "Helix App". I am plugging into a USB 3.0 (the blue colored USB) port, don't know if that makes any difference. 

I am curious as to whether people having issues with it have a USB 3.0 port? I suggested perhaps trying to reinstall the app in windows compatibility mode but at least one user has reported back that did not help. I would also suggest unplugging any other USB connections you may have when you install/use the app. Sorry if these are suggestions people have already tried or they are too obvious. Good luck to everyone with this issue.

I am plugging into a USB 2.0 (the blue colored USB) port, 

Actually "Blue" USB Ports are USB 3.0 Ports,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

and generally should be avoided for most Pro Audio Hardware interfaces  

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

Here is link to a third party USB 3.0 FAQ sheet  -helps when troubleshooting Windows Computer systems problems for all Vendors 

http://support.presonus.com/entries/21526164-Is-my-AudioBox-VSL-compatible-with-USB-3-0-

and Line 6 USB 3.0 info

http://line6.com/support/topic/12720-fx100-upgrade-stuck-usb-30-no-progress/?hl=usb+3.0

Rule of thumb with Line 6 products: use usb 2.0 if possible. USB 3.0 is prone to failure. 

Actually "Blue" USB Ports are USB 3.0 Ports,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

and generally should be avoided for most Pro Audio Hardware interfaces  

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

Here is link to a third party USB 3.0 FAQ sheet  -helps when troubleshooting Windows Computer systems problems for all Vendors 

http://support.presonus.com/entries/21526164-Is-my-AudioBox-VSL-compatible-with-USB-3-0-

and Line 6 USB 3.0 info

http://line6.com/support/topic/12720-fx100-upgrade-stuck-usb-30-no-progress/?hl=usb+3.0

Thanks for the clarification, corrected my post. I just know this is the process and connection that worked for me. Seems to be working fine with USB 3.0 but if I run into any issues I will definitely be keeping the recommendation to use USB 2.0 in my back pocket.

I'm well aware of Steinberg's warning.    ;)

Cubase 8 actually runs well under Win10.

Video playback was an issue... so those scoring to video shouldn't run Cubase 8 under Win10.

Reaper 5 also runs well under Win10.

Have worked in it numerous times the past couple of weeks.

ProTools 11 runs fine under Win10 (don't have 12 so I can't speak to it).

As I said, Win10 really isn't a dramatic change.

ie: Many older audio/MIDI interfaces (even those without Win10 specific drivers) install and work fine.

NOTE:  I'm not saying everyone should run out and be an early adopter of a new OS.   :)

It does open the door to potential (early) teething issues.

ie: Mackie Firewire audio interfaces are currently having issues (glitches) running under Win10.

Steinberg et al are trying to minimize tech support issues.  That's sound logic... especially for those who are less tech savvy.

But those warnings don't blanketly mean that Win10 can't be used.

I've been running Win10 for a good while... with all the major PC DAW applications and plugins.

Line-6 updater and Helix app work just fine here under Win10.

The issue is specific to particular configuration.

One thing to note: Many audio/MIDI interfaces don't work well with 3rd-party USB3 controllers.

Prior to the Intel Z series motherboards, all USB3 ports were provided by 3rd-party add-on controllers (USB3 had not yet been integrated into motherboard chipsets).

Using 3rd-party (non Intel) USB3 controllers is akin to not using a TI chipset Firewire controller with Firewire audio interfaces.

It opens the door to potential compatibility issues.

Another thing that might be causing issues for some folks is power-management on the USB port to which Helix is connected.

If Windows decides to shut down that port to conserve power, it'll cause Helix (or any other audio/MIDI interface) to disconnect.

Power-management type features can/should be disabled in a DAW.

Don't have my Helix yet -- due next week when I'm back in town, but I've been using my USB 3.0 ports on my homebuilt Win 8,1 pc with my HD500 and 500X for a year or more without incident. Also used with USB 2.0 on my previous homebuilt Win 7 pc - now my server. One difference was I could use a USB "extension cord" on my older USB 2.0 machine, but not my USB 3.0 machine.... I recently updated my Win 7 laptop to Win 10 it has both USB 2 & 3 ports easily accessible, but have not put the L6 SW on it - may have to try it out... Don't have any major issues with 10 so far -- the one I'm writing this on.

Just my experience with it - I was concerned it would be a problem with USB 3.0, but wasn't for me. I keep pretty tight control of my machines and drivers, etc.

Dave

I'm well aware of Steinberg's warning.    ;)

Cubase 8 actually runs well under Win10.

Video playback was an issue... so those scoring to video shouldn't run Cubase 8 under Win10.

Reaper 5 also runs well under Win10.

Have worked in it numerous times the past couple of weeks.

ProTools 11 runs fine under Win10 (don't have 12 so I can't speak to it).

As I said, Win10 really isn't a dramatic change.

ie: Many older audio/MIDI interfaces (even those without Win10 specific drivers) install and work fine.

NOTE:  I'm not saying everyone should run out and be an early adopter of a new OS.   :)

It does open the door to potential (early) teething issues.

ie: Mackie Firewire audio interfaces are currently having issues (glitches) running under Win10.

Steinberg et al are trying to minimize tech support issues.  That's sound logic... especially for those who are less tech savvy.

But those warnings don't blanketly mean that Win10 can't be used.

I've been running Win10 for a good while... with all the major PC DAW applications and plugins.

Line-6 updater and Helix app work just fine here under Win10.

The issue is specific to particular configuration.

One thing to note: Many audio/MIDI interfaces don't work well with 3rd-party USB3 controllers.

Prior to the Intel Z series motherboards, all USB3 ports were provided by 3rd-party add-on controllers (USB3 had not yet been integrated into motherboard chipsets).

Using 3rd-party (non Intel) USB3 controllers is akin to not using a TI chipset Firewire controller with Firewire audio interfaces.

It opens the door to potential compatibility issues.

Another thing that might be causing issues for some folks is power-management on the USB port to which Helix is connected.

If Windows decides to shut down that port to conserve power, it'll cause Helix (or any other audio/MIDI interface) to disconnect.

Power-management type features can/should be disabled in a DAW.

You gotta remember it's not always about how much work Microsuck has put into it but also literally every PC will have a different experience based on different hardware configurations, Motherboards, RAM, etc...  I really wanted to like Win10.  It's beautiful and man, it's built in browser is lightning quick but out of all the PCs I have installed it on so far there have been numerous driver issues and the drivers that do work, work in limited capacity.  For example, Realtek sound cards.  A very common built in sound card and probably being used by quite a few of us unless you have an upgrade, installs and works ok for windows sounds but when playing MP3s and Wavs, it litterally sounded like it was playing through a tin can.  Not cool for those of us using that PC for any kind of audio.

It really is a crap shoot with Win10.  You might have no issues and love it but many many others are saying differently.  Quite literally every single Microsoft OS launch has gone this way (some worse than others).  Every one of them have always been really buggy until after the first service pack came out. 

My #1 rule, If it works  - dont "fix" it  - play more guitar instead! ;)

LOL, Truer words were never spoke.

It really is a crap shoot with Win10.  You might have no issues and love it but many many others are saying differently.  Quite literally every single Microsoft OS launch has gone this way (some worse than others).  Every one of them have always been really buggy until after the first service pack came out. 

I get what you're saying... but I'm not exactly a novice PC user.   ;)

I've built literally thousands of DAWs over the past 20 years.

Folks on this forum may not know me... but I'm generally considered one of the more knowledgeable folks in the US regarding PC DAWs.

IOW, My success with Win10 isn't luck or happenstance.

I know what hardware to choose and how to configure it... running under tightly controlled conditions.

If someone is less tech-savvy with no support system, I'd absolutely recommend holding off upgrading to Win10.

When dealing with initial release hardware/software (especially running a brand new OS), you do increase the odds of issues.

Lots of folks are trying to run Win10 on 5+ year-old hardware.

In this scenario, if older motherboard/component drivers have issues, they won't be resolved.

There's no money being made on old hardware... so development moves on to the next.

I know what hardware to choose and how to configure it... running under tightly controlled conditions.

And that right there sir is why your windows 10 is working properly.  You have the knowledge to know what questions to ask and what to research to build your PC to work for windows 10.  The vast majority of people don't know that and wouldn't know where to begin.  They have standard PCs with maybe a few tweaks and upgraded capabilities.  The most dangerous thing you can do with your knowledge is take it for granted and forget how specialized it is.  Most of the folks on here have some skill and can google stuff, make minor changes, educated guesses and what not but they are not technicians with years of experience.  For these kinds of folks, windows 10 is not ready for them and will just get frustrated with it's tempermentalness (is that a word??).

For me, even though I know I could get win 10 working on my PCs, the headache just wasn't worth the gain.  Windows 7 is plenty awesome for me.  The folks that I really feel for are the ones that just bought a new PC with win 10 on it and have no other option but to wait for the fixes to come down.  Especially when thier new $1500 piece of equipment doesn't work properly with it.

Oh btw, trying to use 5+ year old hardware with it?  I'd wager it's worse than that!  :D When I was still out in the field every day I saw people with pre 2k computers trying to get win7 on there.  Some of them actually did it!  But then couldn't figure out why it was soooooo sloooooow.....

Well that was a lot of discussion...  :)

I'm just wondering if Line 6 is any closer to making the app work with Win 10. lol

Also...this message board doesn't play well with the new Edge browser either when posting. Not sure why. It's the only forum I'm a member of that has that problem. So I switch over to Firefox to post.

Well that was a lot of discussion...  :)

I'm just wondering if Line 6 is any closer to making the app work with Win 10. lol

Also...this message board doesn't play well with the new Edge browser either when posting. Not sure why. It's the only forum I'm a member of that has that problem. So I switch over to Firefox to post.

The message board has never played well with Internet Explorer 11 either so not surprised to hear it has problems with the Edge browser. The quote functionality does not work. I use it with Firefox.

I haven't been able to use the quote for quite a while on this forum. Did not connect the problem with the browser though, but it makes sense, I guess. By the time L6 changed to this version of the user forums, I was already on IE 10 or 11. Typing this on Edge, at the moment BTW, along with a couple other responses over the past couple of days. My laptop's upgraded Win10 still has IE11 available, and Norton AV protests when I use Edge, but it is seemingly quicker... I have not had problems quoting on other forums, so seems enough blame is available to spread around...

The HP Pavilion Laptop is probably 3 years old, I think, but new enough to have USB 3.0 ports on it. The OS that came on it at purchase was Win7 Home Premium, IIRC. I've been a Win user for a long time, tried others like Linux (all kinds of distro's) and just don't care for Apple MAC's, so I always come back to Win something or other. I am not about claiming anything wrong with the other OS's, they're just not for me. My smart phone and tablet are Android -- ok, but nothing stellar IMHO. There's a lot of haters of (insert OS here). Meh... Just need to find the one for your needs and how you think/interact, and sometimes have to wait for apps and drivers, etc. to catch up. The more mature the product and the OS, the more likely to work. Deep breath, wait and keep calm....

Dave

Quoting works with IE11 if you right click the quote button and select 'open in new tab'. But other stuff is broken, like the dialog that pops up when using the link button; the dialog pops up fine but then you can't get rid of it.

Quoting works with IE11 if you right click the quote button and select 'open in new tab'. But other stuff is broken, like the dialog that pops up when using the link button; the dialog pops up fine but then you can't get rid of it.

Why yes it does!! Thanks, Duncann -- this is IE11 on Win10, will need to try it on Edge...

Thanks,

Dave

Same with Edge, here on Win10 as well.

Much appreciated, Duncann! That has been annoyance for quite a while...

Dave

And that right there sir is why your windows 10 is working properly.  You have the knowledge to know what questions to ask and what to research to build your PC to work for windows 10.  The vast majority of people don't know that and wouldn't know where to begin.  They have standard PCs with maybe a few tweaks and upgraded capabilities.  The most dangerous thing you can do with your knowledge is take it for granted and forget how specialized it is.  Most of the folks on here have some skill and can google stuff, make minor changes, educated guesses and what not but they are not technicians with years of experience.  For these kinds of folks, windows 10 is not ready for them and will just get frustrated with it's tempermentalness (is that a word??).

For me, even though I know I could get win 10 working on my PCs, the headache just wasn't worth the gain.  Windows 7 is plenty awesome for me.  The folks that I really feel for are the ones that just bought a new PC with win 10 on it and have no other option but to wait for the fixes to come down.  Especially when thier new $1500 piece of equipment doesn't work properly with it.

Oh btw, trying to use 5+ year old hardware with it?  I'd wager it's worse than that!  :D When I was still out in the field every day I saw people with pre 2k computers trying to get win7 on there.  Some of them actually did it!  But then couldn't figure out why it was soooooo sloooooow.....

You have very valid points. however many that are saying MS is somehow doing a poor job with their Win10 release are not being fair, at least IMHO. We've got a lot of PC's on our network, of differing flavors/configurations, and upgraded all of them to Win10 Pro with little to no difficulty whatsoever.  This has been the easiest migration ever for us....you want to talk about driver problems? You probably remember the XP to Vista/Win 7 migration where Nothing was compatible because the entire underlying structure of the new OS was different than XP.  Win10 is a cake walk compared to the XP change over where the only resolution was often to buy new hardware. Your "so slow" comment about running Win10 on old equipment is spot on as those machines weren't designed to run the newer OS and the manufactures of the hardware in those boxes probably did not have updated their drivers, etc. to accommodate Win10, so MS is often times forced to deploy generic drivers...that's certainly not the fault of MS yet they seem to get the black eye for it.  This is no different for other OS's as well.  Try running a new Apple OS on older Apple hardware,  IF the new OS will even load at all.....it's called designed obsolescence, however we really can't blame Apple or MS as they are designing towards advancements in technology, not to maintain the past. Rule of thumb should always be to only move to a new OS IF your machine was designed to run it.  If it wasn't, stay where you are at. My experience is that people start taking shots at MS/Apple/etc. when they try to upgrade their hardware with OS's they simply were not designed for or don't have the core capacities to handle.  All the machines in our network, for example, were purchased in the last year and were designed with a known Win10 deployment being around the corner, that's why we had no issues to speak of.  Had our machines been 3-5 years old, they would all still be on Win7, which has been an excellent OS. 

Certainly agree about waiting for the first service packs to be released, etc. if you are not tech savvy, but MS and Apple both do a very good job with their OS's in general considering the huge complexities involved, that's especially true with MS as they do not control the hardware like Apple does.  The Helix has been on the street for less than two weeks....everyone really needs to give Line6 a chance to catch their breath and a bit of time to start making adjustments...looks like they seem to be doing so already, and in all fairness so have MS and Apple with their latest OS releases.  I personally love Win10 and the Edge browser and find both to be quite nimble compared to solid old Win7 and IE. 

You have very valid points....

And so do you, very true on all of it but there is one variable that probably helped out with your migrations, that fact that you are using Pro.  The first time I went through the upgrade I just let it to everything by default so I knew what others would be doing and that tries to give you Home by default which has always been the red-headed -step-child of the OS version... by the way I am allowed to use such slander, I'm a red head... just not a step child :).  Anyway, I do remember all of those different migrations and if memory serves, the Pro version was always a lot easier to get on systems and was much more stable and compatible with stuff, Home.. not so much.  So that part actually is Microsoft's issue as the are knowingly distributing an inferior product.  Anyway, all pointing fingers aside, as DI said in one of his posts, this is a major pain releasing a brand new product that also coincides with the release of two major OS's as well.  I most certainly would not want to be a coder for any of those companies right now.

And oh... for all of you Windows 7/8/8.1 users out there that do NOT want to upgrade to 10.  You might want to do some searching on Microsoft "accidentally" upgrading users to 10.  They have been releasing it as an optional download for your non domain PCs.  Only catch is that this optional download is pre checked so if your PC is set to just DL and install updates as they come without any prompts, you could very well end up on Windows 10 without your consent.  This is no conspiracy theory, it's truth.  I just had to go and check all the PCs in my company and found more than a few of them primed and ready for the switch over. 

Here's the link for how to stop it from happening...

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

I loaded the Windows 8 version into windows 10 yesterday and it works just fine. I did not use the bundled driver however, I used the one posted for Windows 10 I

This is the same thing I did I have windows 10 pro 64-bit and it is working great for me