Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

I'm having a problem with the Expression Pedal 2 not going to 100% in the Toe Position on certain presets. I have a whammy -12 down and +12 up block. I have a clean preset in User 1 presets 1A and it works fine there. However I have a Hi Gain preset on 1C & 1D and the expression will only go to 98-99% in the Toe position. I reboot and it works for a minute, but goes back to the same issue. Preset 1A always works ok. I even copied the block from preset 1A to the other presets.

Anyone else experiencing something similar. Is this a known bug?

D.I.?

Running Firmware 1.02.2

UPDATE:

I think I found the issue. It only happens when I'm running the 4-cable method and I have my amp (Friedman JJ100) plugged into the Helix amp control jack. The expression pedal position will not read 100% (only 98%). As soon as I unplug the cable from the Helix amp switching jack or I turn the amp off the position goes to 100%.

Can anyone else repeat this issue?

Help Line 6, D.I.

Got my Helix yesterday, immediately updated to version 1.02.2. During setup, configuration and patch editing I had the following issues.

Here's an update on the issues below based on OS X 10.11.1 releases Oct 21.

1. USB Audio/MIDI does not work properly on MacBook Pro 2015 Retina 15" (has USB3 ports) with El Capitan. Behavior is different on an older MacBook Pro running Yosemite. There are perhaps a set of related issues:

USB audio now seems quite stable in El Capitan 10.11.1 for HD500X and Helix. Interesting that this was an OS X bug, not Line6.

1.a. The Helix audio device shows up as two devices in El Capitan Audi/MIDI Setup. One has 0 inputs and 8 outputs, the other 8 outputs and 0 inputs. The inputs and outputs work, buy this does not appear to be correct. On Yosemite, there is one Helix Audio device with 8 inputs and 8 outputs as expected.

Helix now shows up as a single device with 8 inputs and 8 outputs as expected.

1.b. The Helix App does not reliably connect or stay connected on El Capitan. It is getting USB timeouts and either shows Disconnected or service not available. Others have reported this. Works fine in Yosemite, never disconnected once with the App up and used for hours.

Helix app connects reliably and stays connected on 10.11.1 - but... saving a set list hangs the Helix app. And now I'm getting the black screen when turning on Helix. Not sure these are related but they happened around the same time.

2. Changing the Helix audio sample rate from 48kHz to 44.1kHz or any other value has no effect in El Capitan or Yosemite. The Audio device still shows 48kHz, as do apps like S-Gear that detect the sample rate. The sample rate dropdown list for the AudioMIDI Setup Helix device only provides 48000, there is no other selection regardless of how the sample rate is set in Helix.

The sample rate still does not change when updated on Helix, its fixed at 48000Hz, and the Audio/MIDI Setup on Mac OS X only shows 48000.

3. Helix MIDI over USB does not work. I select MIDI over USB in the Helix global parameters, but no MIDI messages are received in El Capitan or Yosemite. The Helix MIDI devices shows up in Audio/MIDI Setup, and MIDI from the MIDI DIN input and output also work correctly.

The USB MIDI is now working ok.

4. I agree with others that the joystick rotation is too sensitive and results in too many unintended model changes that result in lost parameter settings. This should be tuned to be less sensitive so that selecting blocks does not result in model changes. It is not reasonable to have to carefully handle the joystick while bending down to reach a device on the floor while you have a guitar in your hands, in a live setting.

5. Looper footswitches (record, play/stop, undo, etc.) don't send any MIDI messages like they did on HD500X. These are needed to allow Helix to control a computer looper in applications like MainStage so that you don't have to loose the ability to control stomp blocks. The looper block acts like a mode switch to temporarily reassign the footswitch functions. This needs to change the MIDI message too. It would be best if these messages could be configured - but fixed messages, as in the HD500X are OK. Helix receives MIDI to control the Looper, but the Looper doesn't send these MIDI messages like it does with HD500X.

6. TAP scribble strip light went out and no longer works. That's probably not a software problem, but possibly. Factory reset didn't fix it.

I'd like to make a suggestion on the bug reports -- In the recent few days, L6 released the 1.02.2 firmware. I cannot tell the newly reported bugs are 1.00, 1.01.2, or 1.02.2 issues -- Please note what version of firmware you are on when reporting bugs. I notice some earlier posts included theirs. Please continue with this practice, as I think we will be seeing more revisions, but it also could explain some ground being covered that could have been addressed with a newer existing FW release.

amsdenj's post just above states he got his unit yesterday -- did not state he updated the firmware, and it may be that at least some of his issues may have been fixed, or maybe not -- just an example of not knowing his FW version adding to confusion in the issues....

I will be receiving my Helix early next week, and will probably play with it with it's 1.00 FW right out of the box for a while, I'm sure, and will get around to doing the update in a day or so, so will need to keep in mind the state of the initial FW and not freak right away. I will probably not wait long to update, though, as the JTV integration is vital to me, and I know 1.02.2 addresses that one for sure...

Dave

• Upvote 2

My helix froze on "boot failure! entered update mode" when updating firmware v1.02.2 now computer (os x) is not recognizing helix. And there is a red face :o at the top left of the display screen and it is frozen... tried to reset, and the same message appears. Help.

Update: Used a friends computer OS X to re-install the first firmware update to get it running, then added v.1.02.2. Thankfully working right now.

Bug.

I set up a quick patch using PV Panama preamp only, some reverb, delay, etc  to get the Eddie-ish sound..Yada yada yada....

The problem --  I set up a momentary footswitch to activate Script Mod Phase.  Hold and phase on...release phase off.

When in "pedal board mode" and i call up the banks using "BANK" then select the patch, the "Script MOD Phase" defaults to on and momentary press turns it off then back on when released.  When go to "Patch mode" using the Mode foot switch, selecting the patch defaults Phase to off, like I saved it in the patch.

If fact, if defaulted on using BANK switch from Pedal Mode, just pressing the MODE foot switch defaults it back to off.

Maybe it's me - but I've been using it live for the past three nights. Tonight, when I clicked the wah, I lost all volume on all my patches. Only way to get sound back is to restart...

Exact same issue here, multiple times live.

I could not get MIDI over USB to work.  Ableton showed incoming MIDI signals, but would not recognize any notes being sent.

Also, as per a couple of the above, at certain times playing within a patch (seems to be expression pedal based vol/wah etc) audio will completely drop out and the only way to get any sound back is to restart Helix.  During sound failure Helix still looks and reacts/switches as if it were behaving normally.

I could not get MIDI over USB to work.  Ableton showed incoming MIDI signals, but would not recognize any notes being sent.

(My emphasis...)

Unless there's a whole level of functionality that hasn't been discussed, I wouldn't expect you would see any note data.  There's been no discussion of any pitch-to-midi conversion on the Helix - not that it wouldn't be uber-cool.  As a practical matter that sort of capability would require a hex pickup on the guitar.  (though I've been playing around with the Guitar-Midi vst - kinda promising...)

If I'm wrong somebody speak up - pitch-to-midi would close the deal so far as I'm concerned!

The blank screen issues after a reboot requiring a factory reset . Two of us have had this issue and I submitted a support ticket.

Mine was like this on first power up. I reset it and it appears to be working. Although, I haven't had time to actually get into setting it up yet to see if the problem persists. I'll start on that tonight.

(My emphasis...)

Unless there's a whole level of functionality that hasn't been discussed, I wouldn't expect you would see any note data.  There's been no discussion of any pitch-to-midi conversion on the Helix - not that it wouldn't be uber-cool.  As a practical matter that sort of capability would require a hex pickup on the guitar.  (though I've been playing around with the Guitar-Midi vst - kinda promising...)

If I'm wrong somebody speak up - pitch-to-midi would close the deal so far as I'm concerned!

I'm actually just talking about mapping certain notes to control the DAW. i.e. Start, stop etc.

I'm actually just talking about mapping certain notes to control the DAW. i.e. Start, stop etc.

Ahh, gotcha - still won't (sfaik) be able to send note info, but a quick read through of the manual indicates that there are plenty of CC's available to map to various buttons and such.  I use Ableton live (or... Ableton Live, live...?) in my keyboard rig, and mapping doesn't get any easier, as I'm sure you know.

Good luck - have fun!

I think I found the issue. It only happens when running the 4-cable method and when my amp (Friedman JJ100) is plugged into the amp control jack on the Helix. As soon as I turn off the amp or unplug the cable from the Helix amp switch jack the position of the expression pedals will go to 100%.

Can anyone else repeat this issue?

Help Line 6, D.I.

Okay, here's an interesting glitch.

I can only stay on preset Factory 2 -> 20B: SFX:Holkulani for about 20 seconds before all sound ceases from Helix.  The only way to get sound back is to reboot the unit.  It's repeating every single time I try it.  I've spent all weekend running through the other presets and creating my own and 20B is the only thing giving me any trouble.

Perhaps some of you guys could pull up that patch and see if the sound holds for more than 30 seconds.

Firmware 1.02.2, JTV69 via VDI, XLR out to PA, L6 Link out to DT, MIDI out to DT, USB Not connected.

• Upvote 1

Okay, here's an interesting glitch.

I can only stay on preset Factory 2 -> 20B: SFX:Holkulani for about 20 seconds before all sound ceases from Helix.  The only way to get sound back is to reboot the unit.  It's repeating every single time I try it.  I've spent all weekend running through the other presets and creating my own and 20B is the only thing giving me any trouble.

Perhaps some of you guys could pull up that patch and see if the sound holds for more than 30 seconds.

Firmware 1.02.2, JTV69 via VDI, XLR out to PA, L6 Link out to DT, MIDI out to DT, USB Not connected.

I tried this and couldn't get the sound to cut out.

1.02.2, usb connected, spdif out for monitoring.

Could it be something related to the variax connection or L6 Link? Maybe try it without those connections?

• Upvote 1

Could it be something related to the variax connection or L6 Link? Maybe try it without those connections?

I don't think it's the Variax connection because the tuner still works.  I'll try it with several different outputs tonight.

Maybe it's me - but I've been using it live for the past three nights. Tonight, when I clicked the wah, I lost all volume on all my patches. Only way to get sound back is to restart...

I have seen a handful of people reporting here and in other threads that they sometimes lose volume when clicking the wah in/out. I am going to venture a gues here that maybe there is something in the firmware that sets the volume to zero occasionally when clicking the wah in/out and then fails to re-engage the volume pedal or output? I do not know of any outputs that are not controlled by the master volume but... Doesn't the headphone have its independent volume knob? Maybe the next time it happens, can someone check if theere is still output from the headphones jack?

It has not happened to me yet (I am on 1.02.2), but if it does, I will check this and test whatever else I can think of and post my findings here.

I am having weird saved data issues on 1.02.2 . At first I thought I was just being careless when saving or forgetting to save. I am using one of the templates. I saved it to a different set list and if you go back to,the original template half of the stuff is gone. Then I saved I a specific preset within a set list and when I look next time there is a duplicate in the second bank of presets and half of the changes in the first preset are gone. I also can not get the name changes to stick. I initially labels it AC Fender Dual. I switched to to,the more appropriate AC Fender A-B . Every time I save it on reboot it changes back to dual. And I swear each reboot it changes the initial template with more missing. If I had to guess, I would say I somehow corrupted the set list file. Luckily it isn't a big deal from r me right now as I just set it up with an A/B amp selection and pedal board when currently using live and I can easily change it before we play. Next firmware update I will just start from scratch anyway. As a side note I grabbed a free iR and it sounded awesome. I still need to,learn about irs. I loaded some not really understanding everything..lol.

You are very patient. If it was me I would return it for a full refund.

No you wouldn't, because you stated that you cancelled your order even with a (completely fabricated) 12% discount and obnoxiously declared ad nauseum you were absolutely not getting one.

Try to think your trolls through.

I don't think it's the Variax connection because the tuner still works.  I'll try it with several different outputs tonight.

I guess I got the name wrong when I posted earlier.  It is Factory 2 -> 20B but the preset name is SFX:EXP Disturb.

Anyhow, the sound dies regardless of inputs or outputs.  I tried it with a regular guitar into the guitar input.  I also tried just XLR out to PA and with just headphones hooked up and it didn't matter.  So then I did a factory reset and it still didn't help.

I started thinking that maybe the memory location that 20B uses could be defective so I cleared all the blocks and built my own patch there.  I made sure to fill up as many blocks with effects as I could.  Now it seems to be stable.

I guess the problem is with the preset; maybe the firmware got corrupted during the download or when I flashed Helix.  

I have a few more ideas to try:

1. Re-download and flash the firmware.
  2. Move the SFX: EXP Disturb preset to a different location and see if it works there.
  3. Leave the preset in it's normal location and start deleting effects one at a time to see if one of them is causing the problem.

Glad you got it working. Tried that preset and the sound never cut out. Odd problem and solution. When you did the factory reset, was it the one where it just rebuilds the presets and clears the IRs (8 & 9), or that plus resetting the globals (9 & 10)?

• Upvote 2

Glad you got it working. Tried that preset and the sound never cut out. Odd problem and solution. When you did the factory reset, was it the one where it just rebuilds the presets and clears the IRs (8 & 9), or that plus resetting the globals (9 & 10)?

For the factory reset, I used the 9 & 10 method.

After re-flashing the firmware I used the 8 & 9 method.

It is an odd problem.  Now I have no way of knowing that all of the other presets are good without going back through all of them.  I would recommend that gigging musicians test all of the presets they'll be using live after any firmware updates.

I'm having an issue with the Helix locking up when I change setlists. When this happens, everything shows up but the unit doesn't respond to anything and is not recognized through USB. The only way I can find to fix it is to reset the unit thereby losing all my patches. When I power it off and back on, none of the displays show anything, just all blank.

It sounds like others have reported this or a similar issue so hopefully they'll be able to find a fix for it soon.

Exporting saves the patches from the setlist in the order you like.

However when importing the same setlist, the patches are there,

but not necessarily in the same numbered position as the original.

They are crammed together.  It's minor but a bug none the less.

Exporting saves the patches from the setlist in the order you like.

However when importing the same setlist, the patches are there,

but not necessarily in the same numbered position as the original.

They are crammed together.  It's minor but a bug none the less.

Hmm. That's sounds like a similar problem when trying to load more than one IR at a time. Are you saying you select a bunch of presets, right click, and select export? And then when you want them back in Helix you select them all in your file manager and drag them to a starting position in a setlist?

When I backup my presets, I export an entire setlist instead of one or more presets at a time. Haven't had any problems doing it this way.

the whole setlist.  Say you leave 1 or 2 in the bank empty, since we are all learning and playing,

so you can fill in later.

Then say you xport the setlist to a new set, because you use different guitars.

When you import it in the patches do not stay in the banks they were previously in.

They show up squished together, one after another

• Upvote 1

the whole setlist.  Say you leave 1 or 2 in the bank empty, since we are all learning and playing,

so you can fill in later.

Then say you xport the setlist to a new set, because you use different guitars.

When you import it in the patches do not stay in the banks they were previously in.

They show up squished together, one after another

I can confirm this. Empty presets between non-empty ones, when exported as a setlist, and then imported, remove the empty presets that were between non-empty ones, and moves the the presets that were after the empty ones to the spot where the empty ones began. bull1030 said it better, 'squished'.

• Upvote 1

Bug:

Forced tuning and model (preset, not global) to JTV59 is not cleared on preset exit.  Tuning/model remains active in JTV (as well as volume/tone settings).  HD500 does not have this issue.

Bug:

'A' path preset information blocks all cleared when returning to prior saved preset (only observed with a JTV oriented, preset-forced tuning/model;  This was Hotel California pair of presets, 12 string/7th fret capo and 6 string/normal tuning adjacent preset.  No issues with a few days of near constant 'learning/preset building' with non-JTV forced tuning/model presets.

Use Limiting Issue: (i.e. I can't risk the use of HELIX on my weekly gig) 

(Edit:  This is already in Ideascale... http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/USB-input-volume-control/788236-23508 )

USB 1/2 audio from PC level is NOT adjustable (defaults to full volume), issue is if laptop resets volume to 100%, ears will bleed.  I use the Helix (was HD500) on a weekly paid solo gig with backing tracks (yes, I'm a putz).  Need to add a global level control for USB 1/2 audio to XLR / 1/4" outputs (suggest -30dB to 0dB control).

Firmware 1.02.2, JTV59/69 via VDI, PRS 513 in Guitar In, XLR out to PA, No L6 Link, USB connected to Win7.

Not sure if this is a bug or the way it is designed. I have an expression pedal plugged into pedal #2 input. I named Expression Pedal 1 Volume Pedal and saved the preset. The name changes on the expression pedal scribble strip. If I go to another patch and come back to that patch, the name has changed back to EXP 1. If I go into Command Center and try to customize the toe switch again, it still says Volume Pedal in the command center. If I push ok again, the name changes back to Volume Pedal. Is this designed like this or should my toe switch name keep its saved state like the other pedal switches? 

I'm on (OSX10.10.5 Yosemite)

Effects and Effect Types are missing/unavailable:

1. Firmware 1.02.2, updated to latest Factory presets (hold down switches 9&10)

2. Saved two of my own presets in User 1

3. Downloaded @ 8 presets from L6 Customtone and imported them into User 2

4. Edited, re-ordered and saved @ 4 of those in User 1 

5. Went back to my own presets to edit, and these effects were listed but greyed-out/unavailable:

Red Squeeze

LA Studio Comp

Grey, Harmonic and Courtesan flangers

Transistor Tape

Adriatic Delay

Elephant Man

These Effect Types were listed but greyed-out/unavailable:

Reverb

Pitch-Synth

Amp+Cab, Amp, Preamp, Cab, Impulse Response

However, if I go to Path 2 and open a new Block, all effects and types are restored and available.

6. If I re-boot and re-install Latest Factory Presets (hold down switches 9 & 10), everything is normal on both Paths

7. If I re-import even just one of my self-created presets, the effects and types are missing again, but only on Path 1

8. If I go immediately to an empty preset, everything is normal on both Paths

>>>Result: It seems that my own Presets and my Customtone became got corrupted, and I'll have to rebuild them from scratch.

Effects are greyed out when there isn't enough DSP available to load them. It seems like your presets probably have more stuff in them to begin with, those you can't load those particular effects. All the ones you list here would be more DSP intensive.

I'm on (OSX10.10.5 Yosemite)

Effects and Effect Types are missing/unavailable:

1. Firmware 1.02.2, updated to latest Factory presets (hold down switches 9&10)

2. Saved two of my own presets in User 1

3. Downloaded @ 8 presets from L6 Customtone and imported them into User 2

4. Edited, re-ordered and saved @ 4 of those in User 1 

5. Went back to my own presets to edit, and these effects were listed but greyed-out/unavailable:

Red Squeeze

LA Studio Comp

Grey, Harmonic and Courtesan flangers

Transistor Tape

Adriatic Delay

Elephant Man

These Effect Types were listed but greyed-out/unavailable:

Reverb

Pitch-Synth

Amp+Cab, Amp, Preamp, Cab, Impulse Response

However, if I go to Path 2 and open a new Block, all effects and types are restored and available.

6. If I re-boot and re-install Latest Factory Presets (hold down switches 9 & 10), everything is normal on both Paths

7. If I re-import even just one of my self-created presets, the effects and types are missing again, but only on Path 1

8. If I go immediately to an empty preset, everything is normal on both Paths

>>>Result: It seems that my own Presets and my Customtone became got corrupted, and I'll have to rebuild them from scratch.

I'm not sure what your presets look like, but this simply looks like you've about run out of DSP on path 1.  The reason they are all available on path 2 is because each of Helix's two DSP's are dedicated to a path.  Unless I've misunderstood what you're saying, this isn't a bug; it's how it's designed.

Another Issue with MIDI implementation

When using MIDI events to trigger FS activation.  Regardless of the data value in the CC message, the only thing it will do is toggle the switch.

I am building automated patches that change the preset and set specific footswtiches on for the appropriate tone and this won't work.  When the CCs for the FS fire, the result depends on what the previous state of the switch was, it just toggles.  I would think if I send a CC with 127 it would force it on, and with a data of 0 it would force it off.  This just seems like obvious behavior.

I turned my Helix on today at my studio.  Blank white screen after the initial Line6 Helix DNA loadup screen.  No switches would work.  Restarting didn't help.  I had to do a factory reset.  I lost all the patches I had programmed.  Not very happy about that.  Was only about the fourth or fifth time I had powered this thing on.  I was on the most recent firmware as far as I know.  

Same thing has happened to me several times running 1.02.2.

mcoffey

I'm also having issues with playback over USB. Whether it's Itunes or just playing back something I just recorded using the Helix as the Audio Interface, I get crackles and pops. First time I've ever had that issue with any device as a USB Audio Interface and MAC

mcoffey