Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Another Issue with MIDI implementation

When using MIDI events to trigger FS activation.  Regardless of the data value in the CC message, the only thing it will do is toggle the switch.

I am building automated patches that change the preset and set specific footswtiches on for the appropriate tone and this won't work.  When the CCs for the FS fire, the result depends on what the previous state of the switch was, it just toggles.  I would think if I send a CC with 127 it would force it on, and with a data of 0 it would force it off.  This just seems like obvious behavior.

You're talking about controlling Helix from your DAW, correct? If so, then how you describe it is how it works. Just toggles. It would be useful to force a switch to a certain state, regardless of its current state. There might even be an ideascale entry for this. So this could be something, hopefully, that can be done eventually.

You're talking about controlling Helix from your DAW, correct? If so, then how you describe it is how it works. Just toggles. It would be useful to force a switch to a certain state, regardless of its current state. There might even be an ideascale entry for this. So this could be something, hopefully, that can be done eventually.

Thanks. I just found it and voted it up.

Just had the black screen again.  Seems to be a pattern when I am adjusting input and output blocks.  In particular making some adjustments and then moving the cursor right from an output block to go to an input block.  Doink.  Hung and factory reset time.  This is the second time this happened.  USB was connected at the time.  Hope this info helps!

Firmware: 1.02.2

Global Settings: Bottom row presets, top row pedals (assigns)

Bug: When saving preset to another list, pedalboard reverts to Factory 1 list song 1 ("WhoWatt 100") after save.

1. Use Preset knob to select preset from Factory 1 list (I selected 21C "Almost Not Fair")
  2. Save "Almost Not Fair" to User 5 list in the first position, 1A.
  3. After Save Helix home screen reverts back to the first song in Factory List 1 ("WhoWatt 100").

Shouldn't the Save action return you to the new target preset destination ("User 5" 1A). Or alternatively shouldn't the Save return you to the preset currently selected and being saved? Reverting back to the first preset in the "Factory 1" list seems incorrect.

I also have the sound cut off when I turn on the wah via the toe switch, but here are some additional test results in case it helps someone diagnose this issue further.  Happens with all the different wah models I've tried, and on all my existing patches that have a wah.  Does not happen if I toggle the wah via the bypass button or assigning it to a different foot switch.  I also tried an empty preset with just a wah and nothing else and it still cuts out.

I noticed that it turns off both 1/4 outs (didn't test the XLR outs), but the sound is still coming out of the headphones.  Since I mostly use the Helix at night with headphones, I hadn't noticed any problem until today.  I went through the menus, toggling some of the output values to see if the 1/4 outs would come back on, but nothing worked except power cycling it.

I just flashed the 1.02.2 firmware and it's still doing it.  It's a bit random, and it sometimes works correctly a couple of times before it fails.  But usually, it cuts off the first time I hit the toe switch.

Update #2: 4CM & External Amp Control & Expression Pedal Position Issue

Returned my Helix to Line 6 and received my replacement. Unfortunately it has the same issue. Can anyone else verify they have this issue when using the 4CM and the ext amp control? It seems like it could be an inherent issue with all the Helices, be it hardware or firmware. Other than this, I love the Helix, but it's pretty important this issue be fixed if I'm ever to use it with my tube amp in 4CM.

Bug: When saving preset to another list, pedalboard reverts to Factory 1 list song 1 ("WhoWatt 100") after save.

1. Use Preset knob to select preset from Factory 1 list (I selected 21C "Almost Not Fair")
  2. Save "Almost Not Fair" to User 5 list I in the first position, 1A.
  3. After Save Helix reverts back to the first song in Factory List 1 ("WhoWatt 100")

Shouldn't the Save action return you to the new target preset destination ("User 5" 1A). Or alternatively shouldn't the Save return you to the preset currently selected and being saved? Reverting back to the first preset in the "Factory 1" list seems incorrect.

I can confirm this bug... Well, somewhat. It looks like what's happening is after you save a preset, the name of the preset displays the "WhoWatt100". The actual preset made is still loaded, but the title is wrong. If you switch to the next preset and back, the name will be correct with whatever name you just gave it.

I can confirm this. Empty presets between non-empty ones, when exported as a setlist, and then imported, remove the empty presets that were between non-empty ones, and moves the the presets that were after the empty ones to the spot where the empty ones began. bull1030 said it better, 'squished'.

Same here - last week when I completed the 2nd update with holding FS9 & FS10 during reboot, and then importing my exported user preset bundle - and found it moved some preset names in my user bundle again.  What-da...?  I have some made-from-scratch presets stored in 01A through 02A.  They import back in OK. 

Then there's some blanks "New Preset" (02B - 02D).

I had some copied factory presets that I liked in my user bank 3: 03A - 03D.  The presets are still there - but the preset names shifted down 1 preset after the first update.  Now after the 2nd update they shifted another preset down.  So these factory copies are now mismatched.  02D has a name now - but no blocks.  The blocks for that name are now 2 presets up where I originally copied it.

I guest it could be in the export/import process something gets skiped if you have groups of blank user presets in between stored presets?

I know this sounds like the "who's on first" rutine but anyone else experience this - preset names moving after update/reset?  Linie 6 experts, any explanation?

Thanks 

2. Save "Almost Not Fair" to User 5 list I in the first position, 1A.
  3. After Save Helix reverts back to the first song in Factory List 1 ("WhoWatt 100")

I can confirm this bug... Well, somewhat. It looks like what's happening is after you save a preset, the name of the preset displays the "WhoWatt100". The actual preset made is still loaded, but the title is wrong. If you switch to the next preset and back, the name will be correct with whatever name you just gave it.

Thanks for the clarification phil_m. That is the same behavior I am seeing.

Not sure if this has been brought up.

My screen will glitch up, mostly on start up. A reset will fix this for awhile.

My other issue is kinda weird.

Ok if I play on one pre set, I could play all day I bet with no trouble.

But if I try to check out all the pre sets my helix will..........I'm going to struggle for words now and say it acts like a pic with to many pages open, gets slow and sounds have clicking noises, small amount of distortion. A simple turn off and come back later fixes this.

Again if I just check out 4 or 5 pre sets my helix sounds great and has no problems unless I use the looper, the change pre set.

I can even change a pre set to my liking without any problems as long as I stay on it.

I am still on firmware 1.00.0 because I'm a little worried about the black screen issue on the other firmware

After resetting from black screen (cause: I likely saved while output block was selected) I discovered the output levels sounded weak.

I checked the settings and all 'looked' good. XLR's set for line etc. but it was obvious the levels were down lower...

So after checking/trying everything that could have changed, on the third time looking at Global settings, XLR set to Line etc. I decided to push the knob associated with that setting and it was as if it was actually set for Mic, because although the text never changed...always read: Line the output level did and all was well with Helix again.

So if you have to do a reset and the output level seems low check and PUSH the knob to ensure it is set for what the text reads...

The only problem I experience with the amp switching jack is noise when connected to an amp and switched to a dirty channel. Not very "convenient" to have an amp switching jack that you don't want to switch your amp with for fear of the noise!!!

Update #2: 4CM & External Amp Control & Expression Pedal Position Issue

Returned my Helix to Line 6 and received my replacement. Unfortunately it has the same issue. Can anyone else verify they have this issue when using the 4CM and the ext amp control? It seems like it could be an inherent issue with all the Helices, be it hardware or firmware. Other than this, I love the Helix, but it's pretty important this issue be fixed if I'm ever to use it with my tube amp in 4CM.

I'm also having issues with playback over USB. Whether it's Itunes or just playing back something I just recorded using the Helix as the Audio Interface, I get crackles and pops. First time I've ever had that issue with any device as a USB Audio Interface and MAC

mcoffey

This just started happening to me. I really this to work correctly. I have song that I have to learn..........

Not sure if this has already been reported.

Noticed a bug after backup of my presets. When the backup was complete, the Helix display was showing a completely different preset while the scribble strips displayed the preset that was active when the backup stated. The audio was still the same preset that was active when the backup stated. 

I toggled to another preset and back and it corrected the issue.

I'm using Mac Yosemite with 1.02.2 firmware.

The only problem I experience with the amp switching jack is noise when connected to an amp and switched to a dirty channel. Not very "convenient" to have an amp switching jack that you don't want to switch your amp with for fear of the noise!!!

What kind of noise? A hum, a buzz, or something else?

It's silent until I connect a 1/4" to the amp switch jack and the solo jack on my Mesas. It is like a bad cable kind of noise with a little hum. Not as loud as your playing but loud enough that you can't overlook it. I tried half a dozen cables. I tried a trs into two ts type of Y cable thinking I was crossing the tip ring. I am going to try lifting my ground but really you should not have to in a simple amp switching application. Would be cool to have a couple switches to ditch the amp switcher and for the cost of the unit, there shouldn't be the "well it's a line 6 that only costs..."

It's silent until I connect a 1/4" to the amp switch jack and the solo jack on my Mesas. It is like a bad cable kind of noise with a little hum. Not as loud as your playing but loud enough that you can't overlook it. I tried half a dozen cables. I tried a trs into two ts type of Y cable thinking I was crossing the tip ring. I am going to try lifting my ground but really you should not have to in a simple amp switching application. Would be cool to have a couple switches to ditch the amp switcher and for the cost of the unit, there shouldn't be the "well it's a line 6 that only costs..."

This really sounds like a ground loop symptom to me. One thing to try to see if it's a ground loop is to turn off the Helix with the cables connected how you connect them between the Helix and your amp. If the noise/bad cable hum/buzz is still present with the Helix off, you have a ground loop - you're hearing the voltage difference between the ground at your amp and the ground at the Helix, being connected together by the ground shield of your cables. The best way to avoid it is to make sure your electrical power connections are all on the same power strip/outlet, so there's no (or extremely small - milli - or micro - volts) voltage difference between the two ground points. I don't use the 4CM, but it applies to any connection between the pedal and the amp. High gain on the amp itself just makes it way more prominent, as well.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Submit your bug in whatever manner communicates the issue best but here is a suggested format. If Line6 wants to weigh in on a preferred format please do. What would be most helpful to you guys?

Firmware: v1.03.0 (Make sure to include your firmware version, hopefully the latest, don't want to waste Line6's time with bugs that have already been fixed)

Global Settings: Bottom row presets, top row pedals [assigns]   (Include any global settings you think may pertain to your bug)

Bug: When saving preset to another list, pedalboard reverts to Factory 1 list song 1 ("WhoWatt 100") after save.   (Short description of bug)

(Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

3. After Save Helix home screen reverts back to the first song in Factory List 1 ("WhoWatt 100").

I'm also having issues with playback over USB. Whether it's Itunes or just playing back something I just recorded using the Helix as the Audio Interface, I get crackles and pops. First time I've ever had that issue with any device as a USB Audio Interface and MAC

mcoffey

same thing...using Mac El Capitan with the latest release which supposedly fixed some USB audio issues. But not for me :(

Trying to export bundle the Helix 1.1 times out at 50% every time saying it is 'waiting on device', I have to force quit the app (Yosemite 10.10.5) or it will sit there forever. After that happens Helix locks up after one preset change until you disconnect the USB cable...at which point the preset changes on Helix to the one you tried to select as soon as you unplug the USB without touching any footswitch.

already posted this in another thread, but I think it fits better here:

After I installed the latest firmware, the very first column of pixels (to the far left, are offset by one or two pixels)

And on the top left corner there is a pixel flashing purple, overtime I move the joystick...

Anyone else experienced this? Tried reinstalling, didn't fix it :/ Hope it won't get worse...

Installed 1.02.2 and the error disappeared. Went back to 1.03.0 and the error came back!

I can confirm this. Empty presets between non-empty ones, when exported as a setlist, and then imported, remove the empty presets that were between non-empty ones, and moves the the presets that were after the empty ones to the spot where the empty ones began. bull1030 said it better, 'squished'.

I notice something before but didnt really come to mind. However the squishing is there but in some instances, I noticed the names were squished "only", the patch kind of technically still there only under a different name. While some patchesare now under the new preset name.

I notice something before but didnt really come to mind. However the squishing is there but in some instances, I noticed the names were squished "only", the patch kind of technically still there only under a different name. While some patchesare now under the new preset name.

They fixed this with the latest update to the Librarian.

When my Helix is idle or when I am not playing... sometimes I hear the faint repetitive static "pop sound". It comes and go. But noticable right I after play sometimes.....

My connection is Guitar -----Helix---- L2T. I am certain its not my L2T problem since I can hear it from my headphones. When the reptitive noise comes back, its there even I disconnect my guitar. If I kill the Helix volume, its gone. But its back when I turn the vol. back up.. Could it be the transformer / power supply problem?

I have uploaded the audio recording from the speaker.....

New Recording.mp3

Noticed a v1.03 bug when copying a preset from one setlist to another setlist. The copied preset initially displays an incorrect name of another seemingly random preset at the new saved location.  The preset name corrects after toggling back and forth from a different preset.

(Bug or maybe feature? :-) )

Turn the TAP Tempo LED on - in Looper Footswitch Mode by holding both FS1 / FS7 (to change BANK/PRESET footschwitches).

- Firmware: v1.03.0

- Global Settings: TAP Tempo LED: off

- Looper Footswitch Mode

1. Hold both FS1 / FS7 (BANK/PRESET) fotswitches.
  2. TAP Tempo LED will start to blink!

(Global Settings still shows: "TAP Tempo LED: off"!)

Maybe useful in some cases! ;-)

Noticed a v1.03 bug when copying a preset from one setlist to another setlist. The copied preset initially displays an incorrect name of another seemingly random preset at the new saved location.  The preset name corrects after toggling back and forth from a different preset.

Yep, another confirmation on this one. Looks like this is the same bug others of us have reported.  Screen not displaying properly after a cross setlist save.

Latest Firmware 1.03

When using tap tempo on Ubiquitous Vibe, going on longer note values than 1/2 (depending on tap speed) will cause modulation to stop. The LFO minimum possible speed probably needs to be decreased further to allow for slow throbbing at 1/2 bar or 1/1 bar length.

Firmware: v1.03.0

Global Settings: None relevant

Bug: Changing the "Variax Setting" doesn't change the edit icon

1. Go to a preset that has multi inputs set for path A
  2. Go to path A input, save the preset
  3. Go to another preset, come back in
  4. Next page, set "Variax Settings" to "Preset"
  5. Note that the "E" icon on the top right corner doesn't show up

Firmware: v1.03.0

Global Settings: None relevant

Bug: Preset doesn't save the "Variax Setting" within input block

1. Go to a preset that has multi inputs set for path A
  2. Go to path A input, next page, set "Variax Settings" to "Preset"
  3. Save the preset
  4. Set "Variax Settings" to "Global" but do not save the preset!
  5. Go to any another preset
  6. Come back to the original preset
  7. Observe that "Variax Settings" is set to "Global" even though that's not what was saved!

This is major pain, unless you set one preset to "Global" - for every factory preset the tone/volume are "reset" to 0 for the Variax!

I appreciate the intent of this thread, and it is very useful and informative for users to share our findings among ourselves. But we need to understand that that's all we're doing here. This thread is not an official bug-reporting mechanism for Line 6. Reporting your bug here is not the same as reporting it to Line 6.

Users should also open an official support ticket to report the bug to Line 6.

I appreciate the intent of this thread, and it is very useful and informative for users to share our findings among ourselves. But we need to understand that that's all we're doing here. This thread is not an official bug-reporting mechanism for Line 6. Reporting your bug here is not the same as reporting it to Line 6.

Users should also open an official support ticket to report the bug to Line 6.

I agree that it is also very productive to use the official reporting method and would encourage everyone to also open a support ticket but I assume and hope that there are also representatives from Line6 keeping an eye on this topic, particularly in the early stages of the product's release as the firmware releases are more geared to resolving issues than adding new features.