Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Firmware: v1.03.0

Global Settings: None relevant

Bug: Preset doesn't save the "Variax Setting" within input block

1. Go to a preset that has multi inputs set for path A
  2. Go to path A input, next page, set "Variax Settings" to "Preset"
  3. Save the preset
  4. Set "Variax Settings" to "Global" but do not save the preset!
  5. Go to any another preset
  6. Come back to the original preset
  7. Observe that "Variax Settings" is set to "Global" even though that's not what was saved!

This is major pain, unless you set one preset to "Global" - for every factory preset the tone/volume are "reset" to 0 for the Variax!

Looks like 'Global' is just a flag that will override any Variax settings that are stored in each preset. It's most probably saved within Helix internal memory like some of the params found under the Menu button.  It's not being saved within the Preset, nor Setlist or Bundle files.

'@variax_customtuning': True,
'@variax_lockctrls': 0,
'@variax_magmode': True,
'@variax_model': 0,
'@variax_str1tuning': 0,
'@variax_str2tuning': 0,
'@variax_str3tuning': 0,
'@variax_str4tuning': 0,
'@variax_str5tuning': 0,
'@variax_str6tuning': 0,
'@variax_toneknob': 0.0,
'@variax_volumeknob': 0.0

FYI, I did open up a ticket for the Variax Volume/Tone set to 0 instead of Don't force or even '10' like it used to be with firmware v1.2.  Out of 230 presets delivered with release v1.3, 197 has these parameters set to '0'... it's bit annoying if you don't use Variax Setting set to Global.

.... I assume and hope that there are also representatives from Line6 keeping an eye on this topic, ......

There probably are, but if so it's an 'extra' thing that they are doing when they think about it and have the time (and when is that?). Point is it's outside normal procedure for them and hence less likely to be comprehensive and/or effective. They have a formal bug reporting system for users, where it's somebody's specific job to be tracking the bugs and feeding them into the software update process.  Let's make sure we help them help us by using their official bug reporting system through the support ticket mechanism.

2. Reporting a bug on this forum is about 5% as effective as contacting Line 6 Customer Service, where those guys have direct access to QA and developers. Sometimes I'm able to see stuff, repro it myself, and forward it directly, but no one should ever rely on this. Please do not post bugs on 18 different forums and then complain if we don't respond. YOU MUST CONTACT LINE 6 CS so we can log your issue....

There probably are, but if so it's an 'extra' thing that they are doing when they think about it and have the time (and when is that?). Point is it's outside normal procedure for them and hence less likely to be comprehensive and/or effective. They have a formal bug reporting system for users, where it's somebody's specific job to be tracking the bugs and feeding them into the software update process.  Let's make sure we help them help us by using their official bug reporting system through the support ticket mechanism.

You could not be more correct silverhead, it is apparently much more effective to use the CS support ticketing system. See the first quote above from Digital_Igloo who works for Line6.

Looks like 'Global' is just a flag that will override any Variax settings that are stored in each preset. It's most probably saved within Helix internal memory like some of the params found under the Menu button.  It's not being saved within the Preset, nor Setlist or Bundle files.

This "Don't force" flag, should be saved along with the preset and should mean "use whatever the variax is physically set to right now".

FYI, I did open up a ticket for the Variax Volume/Tone set to 0 instead of Don't force or even '10' like it used to be with firmware v1.2.  Out of 230 presets delivered with release v1.3, 197 has these parameters set to '0'... it's bit annoying if you don't use Variax Setting set to Global.

Thanks, I noticed that and was about to.

Firmware: v1.03.0

Global Settings: None relevant

Bug: Preset doesn't save the "Variax Setting" within input block

1. Go to a preset that has multi inputs set for path A
  2. Go to path A input, next page, set "Variax Settings" to "Preset"
  3. Save the preset
  4. Set "Variax Settings" to "Global" but do not save the preset!
  5. Go to any another preset
  6. Come back to the original preset
  7. Observe that "Variax Settings" is set to "Global" even though that's not what was saved!

This is major pain, unless you set one preset to "Global" - for every factory preset the tone/volume are "reset" to 0 for the Variax!

The thing with the tone/volume controls for the Variax is a bug, as far as I can tell. The Global/Preset setting isn't a bug. Setting the Variax Settings parameter to Global means the settings are applied globally. Setting it to preset means they're applied per preset. If you have a preset where you don't want the Variax model saved with the preset, set the Variax Model to "Don't Force".

The thing with the tone/volume controls for the Variax is a bug, as far as I can tell. The Global/Preset setting isn't a bug. Setting the Variax Settings parameter to Global means the settings are applied globally. Setting it to preset means they're applied per preset. If you have a preset where you don't want the Variax model saved with the preset, set the Variax Model to "Don't Force".

phil_m, agreed. This does not look like a bug to me, it looks like it works as designed. The Global/Preset setting is actually a "Global" setting that affects all patches (either keep current Variax settings per patch or for all patches). I think it is the "position" of the setting that is confusing users. Since it is a setting that affects all patches, it should go into the "Global Settings" menu, not within the Input settings of each patch. Putting the setting within the Input block of the patch might make users believe that it is a patch setting that should be saved along with the patch, which is not the case;it might be good for convenience's sake (and I think this might have been Line 6's reasoning for its current placement) but it does seem to be confusing some users.

phil_m's solution is also correct (I have confirmed it myself). If you do not want the Variax settings to be forced (and thus, use the current Variax settings), then just set everything to "Don't Force" (model, tunings, etc). Please note that, in this case, you will get the "current" Variax settings, whether that is what you set on the knobs or what was set by the last patch change where you forced Variax settings.

i.e. if you have the knobs set to "Spank 1" and the Tuning set to "Standard" and then switch to a patch where you force "Lester 1" and "Drop D", then return to a patch where everything is set to "Don't Force", the Variax will stay on "Lester/Drop D" (because it was the last Model/Tuning change made on the Variax) regardless of where you had set the knobs earlier (which may or may not be what you wanted), until the next time you change model/tuning using the knobs or switch to a patch with a forced Variax change.

Surely that can't be right... That's the *only* control within all blocks that behaves that way!

If that's how it's supposed to be, how do you program the Helix to "use whatever the variax is set to right now" within one patch, then "force to this variax setting" in another?

Firmware 1.02 got that right, that's a regression/bug. And that's separate from most factory presets having Variax tone/volume to 0, which is another problem.

Surely that can't be right... That's the *only* control within all blocks that behaves that way!

If that's how it's supposed to be, how do you program the Helix to "use whatever the variax is set to right now" within one patch, then "force to this variax setting" in another?

Firmware 1.02 got that right, that's a regression/bug. And that's separate from most factory presets having Variax tone/volume to 0, which is another problem.

It's right - per the manual, the Variax Settings parameter, "Determines whether Variax settings are applied per preset or globally".

If you want to have some presets that just use the current Variax model, and some that change it, you set the Variax Settings parameter to Preset, and select "Don't Force" on the presets you just want to use the current model. For other presets, you select the specific Variax model and tuning you want.

Setting the Variax Settings parameter to Global is really just a quick way to override the Variax Model setting in each preset. Say if you decided that you wanted to do an entire show with the Strat model, you could just change to Global and Don't Force, and you'd be good to go without having to edit every preset you wanted to use.

If you want to have some presets that just use the current Variax model, and some that change it, you set the Variax Settings parameter to Preset, and select "Don't Force" on the presets you just want to use the current model. For other presets, you select the specific Variax model and tuning you want.

OK, that's great - and that works I noticed that tone & volume *also* have "Don't Force" which is awesome. As deadlocked said the "Per Preset" vs "Global" IMO belongs to the global settings, but I will submit an IdeaScale and see if anyone agrees - and that's really a minor thing.

So the real report (and that's not really a bug, unless that's some kind of change in the default?) is that most of the global presets in v1.03 have their tone & volume set to 0 instead of "Don't Force".

Following the Variax preset issue...  Global and Per Preset seems OK as well as Don't Force. 

Question is how would someone have the Variax go back to the actual guitar knob setting once exiting any preset? 

My example is say 'Hotel California' in 2 presets:  1st preset is 12 string (Acoustic-2) capo at 7th fret, 2nd is Lester  (Lester-1) with no capo.  End of song, going to any other 'don't force' preset, Variax remains on last used (Lester) in this case.

So question remains, is there a way/setting to 'force Variax' when IN preset, but release/restore Variax to knob setting when leaving preset?

Following the Variax preset issue...  Global and Per Preset seems OK as well as Don't Force. 

Question is how would someone have the Variax go back to the actual guitar knob setting once exiting any preset? 

My example is say 'Hotel California' in 2 presets:  1st preset is 12 string (Acoustic-2) capo at 7th fret, 2nd is Lester  (Lester-1) with no capo.  End of song, going to any other 'don't force' preset, Variax remains on last used (Lester) in this case.

So question remains, is there a way/setting to 'force Variax' when IN preset, but release/restore Variax to knob setting when leaving preset?

This is a good question.  I only have one patch that I want to force a drop D tuning on.  This means that I would have to go to EVERY other patch and force standard because once I kicked on that dropped patch, it wouldn't go back without either a patch forcing it or me rotating the switch from Standard to another tuning and back to standard.  Not user friendly at all.

Thoughts?

This is a good question.  I only have one patch that I want to force a drop D tuning on.  This means that I would have to go to EVERY other patch and force standard because once I kicked on that dropped patch, it wouldn't go back without either a patch forcing it or me rotating the switch from Standard to another tuning and back to standard.  Not user friendly at all.

Thoughts?

Is it really that hard to turn the tuning knob or model on the Variax? The thing is you can't have it both ways. You can use the Helix to force preset changes on the Variax, or you can have the Helix just leave the Variax alone. Helix doesn't know what preset you have the Variax set to, though. The Variax isn't constantly communicating what preset is active on it though, and that is what would be necessary for the type of behavior being described. So I think this more a limitation inherent with the Variax than with the Helix.

Is it really that hard to turn the tuning knob or model on the Variax? The thing is you can't have it both ways. You can use the Helix to force preset changes on the Variax, or you can have the Helix just leave the Variax alone. Helix doesn't know what preset you have the Variax set to, though. The Variax isn't constantly communicating what preset is active on it though, and that is what would be necessary for the type of behavior being described. So I think this more a limitation inherent with the Variax than with the Helix.

I would think an option to "activate settings on switch" would be possible.

Hello,

I'm on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11
I have two problems with the helix firmware 1.03.3:

First
It is not possible to select another frequency 48 kHz, for recording with the helix connected via USB.

Secondly
I have to choose a minimum buffer size of 1024 samples, for, record and play back audio without clicks or saturation with Live 9.

Thx

I noticed that if you are using a footswitch to control blocks on/off (footswitch) states AND some other parameters (distortion drive in my case), I can't use the capacitive touch feature to "scroll" through the effects blocks. Well, I can use it once. Once you get to the control parameter rather than the footswitch states, it will not allow you to touch the footswitch and jump to the other effects connected to that footswitch. It only shows the control parameter you've selected. I hope that makes sense. Any input/direction would be appreciated.

-experienced today in rehearsal, suddently no Sound out from helix - have to restart to get The output back

it happened When i stepped on footswicth (with multiple assign -delay, gain and distortion) and right after that, stepping wolumepedal to max

- happened 3 times in 2 hours, i restartet and output was back, no loss of my presets

Its The first isue i have Got with helix - no problems at Home, used it in 2-3 weeks

Has anyone similar experience or advise?

Firmware: 1.03.0

Global Settings: Default

Bug Description: Expression pedal loses ability to control wah and/or volume properly after assigning a custom name to the EXP toe switch scribble strip.

Procedure to reproduce bug:

1. Select a preset with a wah and volume pedal block.  I chose 03A "Soup Pro" (I can select any preset with volume pedal and wah block and reproduce this bug)
  2. Press the "Home" button and use the joystick to select the volume pedal block. Make sure the expression toe switch is set to "Exp 2". When you move the expression pedal you should see the "Position" parameter move and your volume should change.
  3. Use the joystick to select the wah pedal block. Make sure the expression toe switch is set to "Exp 1". When you move the expression pedal you should see the "Position" parameter move and you should hear the wah effect.
  4. Press the "Global Settings" button and choose the "Command Center"
  5. Navigate to the EXP Toe Switch and press "Customize"
  6. Delete the first letter from the name displayed (if you are testing this on the 03A "Soup Pro" preset the name will be "Teardrop 310". Delete the "T" so it reads "eardrop 310"). You can rename it anything you want but I wanted to keep things as simple and repeatable as possible.
  7. Hit "OK" to save the custom name.
  8. Now hit the "Home" button again to exit the Command Center and return to the home screen.
  9. Repeat steps 2 & 3. (You should find that either the volume or the wah are no longer controlled by the expression pedal. That is the bug.)
  10. You can reverse the operation by going back into the Command Center and deleting your custom name. Normal operation is then restored to the expression pedal and it is once again able to control the wah and volume levels.

Apart from a few black screens and crashes, there is one annoying bug and one small, quite insignificant I bug I have noticed so far. When I create a dual cab block and I want to change the cab to the left, the right one automatically goes back to the 1x12" cab on the top of the list... So if I am going between, for instance the Marshall 1960 T75 and Bogner Uber T75 cab (I usually run same cab, different mics in this block) I have to start from scratch everytime, not just flick the wheel a little bit on both cabs. Quite annoying actually, because I like to tweak and experiment with different cabs and settings. The small bug has been mentioned before kind of, the pixel problem. I have only noticed it when I use the Royer 121 mic, there are a few pixels of the numbers that are missing on the top. If I change to another mic and then go back, all the pixels are there. 

This "Don't force" flag, should be saved along with the preset and should mean "use whatever the variax is physically set to right now".

Thanks, I noticed that and was about to.

So here is the outcome of my support ticket regarding the v1.3 Factory Presets Variax/Tone knobs set to 0 issue

As a temp workaround, they suggested to use the Variax Settings to Global instead of 'Per Preset' to use the Factory presets delivered with firmware v1.3.

I ask them to provide all Factory presets with both Variax/Tone knobs set to " Don't Force" with the next firmware delivery.

They will realy that info to dev team, meanwhile they suggested to submit that idea into Ideascale, here it is: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Factory-Presets-with-Variax-Volume-Tone-set-to-Don-t-Force/793654-23508

Helix App Error "Request for device operation failed; returned NACK"???

I was in the process planning to install the firmware upgrade 1.03 so I installed the Helix App upgrade to 1.01. 

After the upgrade it won't export a bundle and freezes.  I'm running in Windows 10.

It finds the Helix and shows all my presets.  I go to export and name the file the it goes to work - 10 seconds later gives me an error message:

"Request for device operation failed; returned NACK"

No bundle file and the the app will not close after the error.  Restarting did not clear it up. 

I have a lot of hours into my presets so can't upgrade unless I can import 'em back.

Any help?

ScriptModPhase - Firmware=1.01.2

Bug: I am assuming the "Mix" parameter in the ScriptModPhase should increase the depth of the phase. It does not. As a matter of fact, when you turn "Mix" up to 100% the phase sound almost completely disappears. Exactly opposite of what I assumed it would do. Turning the "Mix" to 0% also causes the phase sound to disappear. What is the "Mix" parameter supposed to do? This effect does not seem to properly control phase depth (the amount of phase compared to direct sound).

I am guessing here (don't have a Helix yet), but it could be that Mix controls the combination of the phase altered signal with the input signal.  0 Mix would be completely the input signal, 10.0 Mix would be completely the phase altered signal, which funny enough will sound just like the input signal but with some small modulation in the phase. But It is the combined signals where the phased signal interferes with the input signal that is probably what you expect as a phase effect.

The MXR Phase 90 doesn't have a mix control, so L6 added it, but I suspect that in order to be able to get a phase effect when run as a parallel effect and combine it later with an unaffected signal that the control goes from nothing to all phase altered.

If this is the case, then the maximum effect (and standard setting for an Phase 90) is 50-50 phased and dry signals - that is maximum effect is deliberately found at 5.0

Great answer, way back when it first arose!!  I think this was the correct explanation of the issue. Thanks and my apologies for batting it around until comprehension and confirmation finally set in. This may actually turn out to be a great way to implement the mix control even if it is a bit unconventional for foot pedal emulations. I already addressed this as the correct answer in another topic but I thought I would try to close the book on it over here as well since I posted a bug. Thanks!

Helix App Error "Request for device operation failed; returned NACK"???

I was in the process planning to install the firmware upgrade 1.03 so I installed the Helix App upgrade to 1.01. 

After the upgrade it won't export a bundle and freezes.  I'm running in Windows 10.

It finds the Helix and shows all my presets.  I go to export and name the file the it goes to work - 10 seconds later gives me an error message:

"Request for device operation failed; returned NACK"

No bundle file and the the app will not close after the error.  Restarting did not clear it up. 

I have a lot of hours into my presets so can't upgrade unless I can import 'em back.

Any help?

I have gotten this error as well. I think the Helix librarian app is a bit buggy, at least on firmware 1.03.0 and Windows 10. I found that reflashing my firmware at least got rid of the "NACK" error showing on the Helix and the Helix app.

I have gotten this error as well. I think the Helix librarian app is a bit buggy, at least on firmware 1.03.0 and Windows 10. I found that reflashing my firmware at least got rid of the "NACK" error showing on the Helix and the Helix app.

Hey thanks for the response - in my case I didn't get that far.  Still running 1.02 firmware on the Helix.  I had just upgraded the app and was exporting my preset folder when the error happened.  So I'm inclined to believe it's the ap so I think the only thing to do is a complete reinstall of the ap.  I need to do the export before the firmware upgrade.  If that works I'll post an update.

Hey thanks for the response - in my case I didn't get that far.  Still running 1.02 firmware on the Helix.  I had just upgraded the app and was exporting my preset folder when the error happened.  So I'm inclined to believe it's the ap so I think the only thing to do is a complete reinstall of the ap.  I need to do the export before the firmware upgrade.  If that works I'll post an update.

Good luck!

I plug my PRS Custom 24 into a Crybaby 535Q wah then directly into the guitar input of my Line 6 Helix. I've noticed that I occasionally get a loss of signal when using the wah on high gain patches. The sound comes back almost immediately, but it definitely is disconcerting.

Newest Firmware. 1.03.0

I solved my noise problem with the amp switching jack being connected. Had used an 8 channel Ebtech hum eliminator with my pedal board, rack and half stack with success so I purchased the two channel version. The Ebtech will not work in line with the amp jack but if you put it in line with your amp input and either your send or return on your amp fx loop, it works perfectly. Very quiet. Not sure why the amp switch causes a ground loop, I would think it should be an isolated circuit through a relay in the helix but apparently it has a common ground or circuit somehow. Ground lifts, etc., also do nothing for this problem.

When a custom name is assigned to toe sw. the exp pedal doesn't operate the wah position.

Attached is the patch. The exp. Pedal operates the mix on simple delay and when toe sw is pressed the wah comes on but position is not moved. If you remove the custom name it works properly. I like to assign multiple parameters to the exp's and toe sw. Is the a way I'm missing to see multiple assignments since there is no capacitive touch to cycle through?

When a custom name is assigned to toe sw. the exp pedal doesn't operate the wah position.
Attached is the patch. The exp. Pedal operates the mix on simple delay and when toe sw is pressed the wah comes on but position is not moved. If you remove the custom name it works properly. I like to assign multiple parameters to the exp's and toe sw. Is the a way I'm missing to see multiple assignments since there is no capacitive touch to cycle through?

Line6 is aware the expression pedal issue with a custom name is a bug and say they are going to fix it.

Update #2: 4CM & External Amp Control & Expression Pedal Position Issue

Returned my Helix to Line 6 and received my replacement. Unfortunately it has the same issue. Can anyone else verify they have this issue when using the 4CM and the ext amp control? It seems like it could be an inherent issue with all the Helices, be it hardware or firmware. Other than this, I love the Helix, but it's pretty important this issue be fixed if I'm ever to use it with my tube amp in 4CM.

just postet about this above... it seems we have the same problem. I'm using my helix with a friedman smallbox. everything works great except for this issue...

I cant customize a footswitch, that is set as a controller without assigning et for a block (On/Off) as well... 

Also: Why isn't it possible to make an output-block send in mono ? F.ex. sending one path on send 1. 
Of course I can put a send in the last block before output, but i dont see why we dont have a chance to output in mono ? 

I cant customize a footswitch, that is set as a controller without assigning et for a block (On/Off) as well... 

Also: Why isn't it possible to make an output-block send in mono ? F.ex. sending one path on send 1. 

Of course I can put a send in the last block before output, but i dont see why we dont have a chance to output in mono ? 

You can customize a label for a footswitch being used as a controller without assigning on/off control to it. You change the label by going into the Command Center (see pg 37-39 of the manual).

Regarding the outputs, if you're using just one of the 1/4" or XLR outs, the Helix automatically sums to mono.

I played live last night for the first time with the helix and something happened that never happened before. I have played for hours setting it up and practicing but when I turned the helix on it worked pretty well for an hour then at one point I kicked on my wah and the sound stopped. I turned it off, modulated the pedal, hit other switches, there was no sound. I turned on the tuner and it was getting signal from my guitar, turned it off and still no output. I then power cycled it and it came back on UNTIL I tried the wah again. I moved the patch, deleted several blocks thinking it was a memory or a DSP problem but as soon as the wah was touched, all output was gone. I looked thru the forum and see nothing. I am running 1.03 but in the 1.04 fixes nothing is mentioned. I can deal with a lot of things but total mute cannot happen especially reauiring the 30-45 second reboot. Anyone?

I played live last night for the first time with the helix and something happened that never happened before. I have played for hours setting it up and practicing but when I turned the helix on it worked pretty well for an hour then at one point I kicked on my wah and the sound stopped. I turned it off, modulated the pedal, hit other switches, there was no sound. I turned on the tuner and it was getting signal from my guitar, turned it off and still no output. I then power cycled it and it came back on UNTIL I tried the wah again. I moved the patch, deleted several blocks thinking it was a memory or a DSP problem but as soon as the wah was touched, all output was gone. I looked thru the forum and see nothing. I am running 1.03 but in the 1.04 fixes nothing is mentioned. I can deal with a lot of things but total mute cannot happen especially reauiring the 30-45 second reboot. Anyone?

I had The same experience on a band practise - it happened 3 times in 2-3 hour. Only on this rehearsal, nothing in just about 1 month i have had Helix - exactly The same error, no Sound - One more helix user did write about The same problem in The Facebook user group Some days ago. I was on firmware 1.03 then - updated to 1.04 and at this moment nothing to report.

Will do, but I can't imagine it's only happening with friedman amps... would be nice if more people could test this... I guess it't a bleed so ehow of the normal 5v or so going thru the switching cable.

I took some to test this out using my Egnater Renegade and my DT25. With a TRS cable plugged into the relay out and two external expression pedals, I did notice that the max on the expression pedal was 97 or 98% with Renegade, but that was only if the tip relay was activated. So when I was on the Renegade's clean channel, the sweep went to 100%, but on the gain channel, it had the reduced sweep. I tried this both connected via the 4CM and going straight into the amp. The 4CM didn't make any difference. The behavior was consistent across all three expression pedals (which makes it somewhat hard for me to believe it's a hardware issue, given that the external pedals are potentiometer-based and the on-board one is optical). With the DT25, it gave me the reduced sweep on both channels. Again, it only was with the relay controlled by the tip. The ring relay didn't change anything. And, like I said, it was a reduction to 97 or 98%, not nearly as big as the reduction you guys are noticing with the Friedman amps.

After all that, I decided to save my patch and cycle the Helix on and off. I wanted to see if the pedals just needed recalibrated. As it turns out, that seemed to do the trick. After power cycling, I had the full range of all pedals again, and even after hitting the relay I still did. The one thing I did notice was that after I hit the relay switch, the max value would jump down to 98% (if I was at 100% already). But moving the pedal again would give me back the full range.