Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

ok, cool. Thanks phil_m! Let's hope its just software then and that it'll get sorted out in an update.

I just dont know right know if I wanna risk using external pedals live. I'm using them to control my input volume going to the front of the amp... when it doesn't go to 100%, I lose a lot of gain that way.

Now it has happened to me twice that the helix has Frozen when scrolling through presets. 

Am I the only one this has happened to or is it a software bug ?

Seems to happen all the time if you use the preset wheel, roll quick enough *and* the Helix app is running.

Thank you. But that is still stupid... i have two signal-paths and want my guitar path to stay stereo. The other one should be sent to a bass-amp in mono...

I'm not following... What are you saying is stupid? What behavior are you wanting to see, exactly? You can certainly keep your guitar path in stereo and have the bass be mono. The summing functions on the 1/4" and XLR outs are independent of each of other.

Slt all,

In, recording and audio playback, I have a lot of creaking noises and artifacts

It is impossible to use the Helix without putting the maximum value: 2048 sample, in Ableton Live 9.

Mac OS 10.11.1 and 1.04.1 firmware on the Helix.

It seems that there is a bug between Helix and OSX El Capitan. :/ 

Did it help to change buffersize ? 

I have updated to 1.04 and so far no sound drop out when wah is turned on. The wah pedal is however now squeaking and making mechanical noises so.....Also after the update there was a significant difference in the sound in every patch pertaining to level and my delay being overdriven. So much it required every patch to be tweaked so that it would stop happening. Not sure what happened or if it was changed during the update but in the 4C method had to decrease the level going into my return. This is becoming a full time job.

I have updated to 1.04 and so far no sound drop out when wah is turned on. The wah pedal is however now squeaking and making mechanical noises so.....Also after the update there was a significant difference in the sound in every patch pertaining to level and my delay being overdriven. So much it required every patch to be tweaked so that it would stop happening. Not sure what happened or if it was changed during the update but in the 4C method had to decrease the level going into my return. This is becoming a full time job.

Here is a topic started for expression pedal squeak: http://line6.com/support/topic/16996-expression-pedal-squeak/?hl=squeak

Just curious if you followed the procedure to back up all your presets first, upgrade to the Helix app 1.02 , do the firmware 1.04.1 update, do the 9&10 reset, and finally restore your saved presets with the latest version of the Helix app? If you did a full reset including globals using the 9&10 footswitch reset procedure as you know you will need to go back and set your global settings again. I wonder if any of the global settings could be impacting the preset sounds?

It seems that there is a bug between Helix and OSX El Capitan. :/ 

Did it help to change buffersize ? 

Slt Tagmusenmagnus,

To eliminate the problem of artifacts, I have to put the buffer size 2048 samples for Live 9 and 1048 samples on Logic X.

User Interface freezes 2 Times last Week after playing over 1 Hour.

The DSP works in that case and I hear the last preset sound, but I cant´t change Preset or change any other Parameters.

After reboot Helix works without Problems. 

Helix Firmware v1.04.1

User Interface freezes 2 Times last Week after playing over 1 Hour.

The DSP works in that case and I hear the last preset sound, but I cant´t change Preset or change any other Parameters.

After reboot Helix works without Problems.

Helix Firmware v1.04.1

I wonder if any of this is heat related? The Helix has what appears to be a heat vent on the bottom of the chassis. I am being careful not to let the Helix overheat and avoid setting it on a carpet in case the heat is indeed venting from the bottom. Carpet probably hinders heat dispersion from the surface of the metal on the bottom as well. Do we need to keep this vent clear L6?

Small niggle. The character set for naming patches and scribble strips is missing the slash, as in A/B.

They probably have ways to code around it but this might be a reserved character because the front-slash is a path divider, e.g. "/Helix/Effects/Mods/Phaser" in Linux/Unix which could well be the OS kernel underlying the Helix codebase.

They probably have ways to code around it but this might be a reserved character because the front-slash is a path divider, e.g. "/Helix/Effects/Mods/Phaser" in Linux/Unix which could well be the OS kernel underlying the Helix codebase.

If I choose the A/B splitter and assign it to a footswitch, "A/B" shows up in the scribble strip, so the character is already there. It's just not available to the user.

If the microcode is Linux-based, it should have no problems dealing with the slash. I mean, it's not Windows or Mac. ;)

If I choose the A/B splitter and assign it to a footswitch, "A/B" shows up in the scribble strip, so the character is already there. It's just not available to the user.

If the microcode is Linux-based, it should have no problems dealing with the slash. I mean, it's not Windows or Mac. ;)

Yes, but when you export tones using the Helix software, it uses the name of the preset for the name of the file. And the "/" character isn't allowed in filenames in Windows or OS X.

Yes, but when you export tones using the Helix software, it uses the name of the preset for the name of the file. And the "/" character isn't allowed in filenames in Windows or OS X.

Yea, true. I was mostly wanting it for the scribble strips, though.

I had an unusual problem last night at rehearsal that I've never seen before and wondering if anyone else has seen this. I'm running firmware 1.04.1 and while playing my sound just cut out. Everything appeared to be working correctly even the tuner but no output to the mono XLR. I had no choice but to reboot it then it was fine for awhile. This happened about 5 or 6 times after which it seemed fine.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm concerned now about this happening during a gig. I wasn't changing anything in my preset when this occurred.

Never cut out without pressing the toe switch on the wah pedal. But yes I have had it cut out while playing live, when I pressed the toe switch. I also had to reboot the device to get it back which is very problematic when you are in the middle of a lead and are the only guitar player. I then tried it at home and it would do it 9 times out of 10. I also tried it on a patch without the wah or a toe switch active for any parameter and it still cut out which leads me to believe it may not be software related but you never know. I wanted to return it but I am letting them replace it first. I will keep everyone posted.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply jsiegel2015. I've had my Helix for probably a couple months now and this is the first time I've ever had this kind of problem. I updated the firmware when it was first released so it seems odd that I would all of the sudden start seeing a problem if it was firmware related. I guess I have no choice but to see if it continues and figure out a course of action at that point but it's concerning like you said not knowing if/when it might lose sound.

Not sure whether this is a bug, or a hardware issue that just happens to coincide with my upgrade today to 1.04.2. My #12 footswitch, the one directly to the left of the Tempo footswitch, is no longer consistently turning on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have multiple blocks assigned to this footswitch. This is the one I generally assign to my distortion pedal so I can no longer reliably switch from lead to rhythm. This is happening on my saved presets that I have reloaded after the Global Reset procedure. I have yet to test it on the factory presets. Have a gig coming up so I am not too happy. If anybody who upgrades to the 1.04.2 firmware starts having this issue please post back here. Otherwise I will assume this is a hardware issue and unfortunately get the unit swapped out (hope another one is readily available). Really hoping this is either a firmware issue or an issue with restoring user presets with multiple block assignments as having a footswitch go bad in the first month of light use does not bode well for switch durability unless this turns out to be a rare case. Bumming me out 'cos I love my Helix :(

Btw, the Helix App 1.02 is still having issues with restores If your presets are not all contiguous it is putting User presets blocks back in the correct preset slot but puts the preset's name in the first empty slot, such that the preset's blocks end up in one preset slot and the preset's name in another (with no blocks). This of course necessitates you having to rename all your presets.

Not sure whether this is a bug, or a hardware issue that just happens to coincide with my upgrade today to 1.04.2. My #12 footswitch, the one directly to the left of the Tempo footswitch, is no longer consistently turning on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have multiple blocks assigned to this footswitch. This is the one I generally assign to my distortion pedal so I can no longer reliably switch from lead to rhythm. This is happening on my saved presets that I have reloaded after the Global Reset procedure. I have yet to test it on the factory presets. Have a gig coming up so I am not too happy. If anybody who upgrades to the 1.04.2 firmware starts having this issue please post back here. Otherwise I will assume this is a hardware issue and unfortunately get the unit swapped out (hope another one is readily available). Really hoping this is either a firmware issue or an issue with restoring user presets with multiple block assignments as having a footswitch go bad in the first month of light use does not bode well for switch durability unless this turns out to be a rare case. Bumming me out 'cos I love my Helix :(

Btw, the Helix App 1.02 is still having issues with restores If your presets are not all contiguous it is putting User presets blocks back in the correct preset slot but puts the preset's name in the first empty slot, such that the preset's blocks end up in one preset slot and the preset's name in another (with no blocks). This of course necessitates you having to rename all your presets.

Upon further examination this appears to be a physical problem with the switch. This switch does not feel like any of the others and seems to have something like a second click in addition to the normal one. Going to have to swap this unit out. Sheesh, what luck, I hope this is not a frequent occurrence.  :(

Thanks for the reply jsiegel2015. I've had my Helix for probably a couple months now and this is the first time I've ever had this kind of problem. I updated the firmware when it was first released so it seems odd that I would all of the sudden start seeing a problem if it was firmware related. I guess I have no choice but to see if it continues and figure out a course of action at that point but it's concerning like you said not knowing if/when it might lose sound.

Same has happened for me 3 times on practise in 1.03 a couple of weeks ago, when stepping on pedal an yesterday 1 time on practise in 1.04.1 - not doing anything, no Sound but All looking normal. Has any yet have this experience with 1.04.2 ?

Having trouble with the pan block! I'm trying to feed two amps a "left and right signal", while also feeding the XLR OUT separately with a amp/cab model to send to a PA. Then be able to remove my signal from the left amp, but not change the XLR OUT. It took me a while, but found a way to accomplish this. Only problem is once I turn on the pan block that shuts my signal off from one amp if I turn on any blocks following the pan block, it turns my signal back on!

post-2287959-0-58181400-1450049232_thumb.jpg

Having trouble with the pan block! I'm trying to feed two amps a "left and right signal", while also feeding the XLR OUT separately with a amp/cab model to send to a PA. Then be able to remove my signal from the left amp, but not change the XLR OUT. It took me a while, but found a way to accomplish this. Only problem is once I turn on the pan block that shuts my signal off from one amp if I turn on any blocks following the pan block, it turns my signal back on!

It's hard for me to follow what exactly you have going in the preset from the photo, but I believe I know what's causing your issue. You have to remember that when you split a path, the path breaks off into two stereo paths, not two mono ones. So if you put a pan block before a split, you are controlling the left and right spread of both paths. So if you had the block panned left, you would be sending the left side of the signal to both paths after the split. If you had it panned right, you'd have two right side signals. Really, in your case, I think you can do what you want to do by controlling the Split block itself. It sounds like you just want to have the split toggle between "Even Split" and "Path A". You can do this by setting up a controller for the "Route to" parameter. You don't need the pan block before the split.

It's hard for me to follow what exactly you have going in the preset from the photo, but I believe I know what's causing your issue. You have to remember that when you split a path, the path breaks off into two stereo paths, not two mono ones. So if you put a pan block before a split, you are controlling the left and right spread of both paths. So if you had the block panned left, you would be sending the left side of the signal to both paths after the split. If you had it panned right, you'd have two right side signals. Really, in your case, I think you can do what you want to do by controlling the Split block itself. It sounds like you just want to have the split toggle between "Even Split" and "Path A". You can do this by setting up a controller for the "Route to" parameter. You don't need the pan block before the split.

Thanks for getting back Phil!

I'll see why you would think that would work. But I don't at any point want to completely shut off the last path, just my live signal. I still want that last path to feed the left amp recorded loops while feeding both loops and live signal to XLR/PA. The preset is just a Mock preset. The problem is happening at the bottom. That last vol/pan block be for the looper block is the one question. And does it's job fine until I turn on a block in the signal path I just after it.

Why the Global eq doesn't work with USB output? there is a logic reason behind this limitation?

When I use a Leslie block do i have to swtich off the cab simulation of the amp? (Because the sound become muffled when i switch on a Leslie block).

Will  you add an auto volume swell and an auto panner effects?

I think all fuzzes are all too much extreme sounding  (in my opinion) they sound always to the max, less regulation.

• Upvote 1

So here is an update about the Helix cutting out completely, requiring a reboot while playing live. Line 6 was going to replace it, I waited a week and a half for UPS to pick it up. Then Line 6 reopened my support ticket today and said "Hey Jim, hang tight, we're not replacing it but will be trying to get to the bottom of it thru firmware updating (keep in mind the past 4 updates over the last 2 months have done NOTHING), so hang on to your $1500 unusable paperweight and we'll let you know if we ever get it right!! So anyone who would like to join me in a class action lawsuit please contact me at James dot Siegel at Verizon dot net and you can get your money as well as your pain and suffering back with me. I will be taking action within the next two weeks.

• Upvote 2

Why the Global eq doesn't work with USB output? there is a logic reason behind this limitation?

When I use a Leslie block do i have to swtich off the cab simulation of the amp? (Because the sound become muffled when i switch on a Leslie block).

Will  you add an auto volume swell and an auto panner effects?

I think all fuzzes are all too much extreme sounding  (in my opinion) they sound always to the max, less regulation.

On Leslies, it's up to you. Some like the effect with the cab sim and some without. This is one reason why I don't plan to ever make a patch that doesn't have the guitar amp and cab separate. I want that flexibility. (and without a cab, the leslie sounds GLORIOUS)

As far as the fuzzes, remember fuzz pedals are tricky. The models probably are, too. For instance, most fuzz guys do NOT put a buffer before their fuzz, because the fuzz's impedance is setup to go to the guitar. have you set the Guitar In Impedance (in global settings) to "Auto"? That might help (assuming the fuzz is first in the chain, where it must be to work the way I think you want it).

Slt all,

In, recording and audio playback, I have a lot of creaking noises and artifacts

It is impossible to use the Helix without putting the maximum value: 2048 sample, in Ableton Live 9.

Mac OS 10.11.1 and 1.04.1 firmware on the Helix.

I answer myself to myself.

When I use Helix as an audio interface in a Live 9 project, the Helix generates lots of clicks and artifacts.
To correct this huge problem, I have to adjust the buffer Live 9 on 2048 samples.

Also, in Live 9 and on my Mac, impossible change the sample rate, it remains blocked on 48000.

I redid the test with my RME BabyfacePro  audio interface (with the same Live 9 Project ), I have no problem, no clicks, reading and recording are perfect. The buffer set to 128 samples.

I still say that the helix a big trouble on this specific issue and is unusable as an audio interface.

I am disappointed that Line 6 does not communicate on this important issue, or postponing the problem on the Mac system 10.11

It is abnormal to have a unit cost that price and not have satisfaction.

Mac Os 10.11.2
Helix firmware 1.04.2

Maybe this has already been asked and answered, and maybe it's because I'm on v 1.02something (can't upgrade past that yet), but when you tap tempo while a delay is happening, it behaves EXACTLY like a real pedal, warbling the pitch like you turned the knob.

That is cool.

But I desperately want to turn it off and have it behave like the HD 500. I often have to re-establish tempos during songs and don't want that warble.

Does that count as a feature request or a bug report? Feels like a bug to me.

Maybe this has already been asked and answered, and maybe it's because I'm on v 1.02something (can't upgrade past that yet), but when you tap tempo while a delay is happening, it behaves EXACTLY like a real pedal, warbling the pitch like you turned the knob.

That is cool.

But I desperately want to turn it off and have it behave like the HD 500. I often have to re-establish tempos during songs and don't want that warble.

Does that count as a feature request or a bug report? Feels like a bug to me.

In version 1.04.1 or 1.04.2 there was a new global option introduced called 'Tap Tempo Pitch' under the MIDI/Tempo category. The two options are Transparent and Authentic. One of those should be what you want, probably Transparent.

In version 1.04.1 or 1.04.2 there was a new global option introduced called 'Tap Tempo Pitch' under the MIDI/Tempo category. The two options are Transparent and Authentic. One of those should be what you want, probably Transparent.

Awesome. That'll fix it for me. I have to wait for that upgrade, though. cool! asked and answered!

Hi all. Sorry if this has been covered before but I searched for "volume problems" and got no results.

Just got a Helix (finally) and I love it. THere is just one problem I have found so far but it is serious. After a few minutes of playing the overall volume output diminishes quite substantially and remains at the lower volume. It doesn't seem to matter what patch I am on. I have tried factory presets and some I made myself to see if that was the problem. I have tried it with a variax connection and through a normal jack cable. It happened with the original 1.2 firmware that it came with and both of the updates I have installed, up to and including 1.04.3 which I have installed today. Has anyone experienced this and is there any way to resolve it?