Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

I get a very similar problem on Windows 7 - lots of crackles and pops while playing and recording - it makes the Helix pretty much unusable as an audio card, I only use it when I want to record my variax so I can get the mags and the emulated dry sound.

Now I've noticed that it works fine right after a reboot, but if you leave the computer and switch off (did not unplug first) the Helix then turn it back on (while the computer is running) that's when it happens. The only workaround (if you can call it that) is to reboot - and *then* it works fine. I rarely reboot my computer, next time I do I'll run more tests (like try to switch to another audio device before turning off the Helix) and report what I find.

It must open a ticket on the Line 6 website.
Many of us have the same problem on Mac or Windows.

The more we are to report this problem, faster, Line 6, will be less indifférend the problem of usb on the helix.

Hey guys, recently bought a ton of your gear (Helix, JTV-59, l3t) and loving it.

Sounds amazing.

Having a bug with the helix and variax though. Can get the helix to force my guitar model no problem, volume and tone are also force-able with the pedal, however I cant get it to force my tunings. I have the knob set to custom so unless theres a sneaky setting somewhere I think this is a bug. 

Can't wait til this is fixed, keep up the good work.

windows 7

jtv-59

Hmmm... Seems to be working fine with my 69. Just to be clear, you're setting the Variax tunings on the next page of the input block, right? The Helix doesn't recall the position of the tuning knob on the Variax.

Hmmm... Seems to be working fine with my 69. Just to be clear, you're setting the Variax tunings on the next page of the input block, right? The Helix doesn't recall the position of the tuning knob on the Variax.

That's right, I set the input to variax, went to page 2, set the tuning setting to custom, and tried altering them on the 3rd page. My variax stays on its current tuning though.

I too have the JTV 59 and have no problems controlling it from my Helix, including doing custom tunings.  Not sure if this is a bug with the Helix software or is something unique to your situation.

Hi. Just got my helix but there seem to be a few bugs. I'm running the latest firmware 104.3

1. The amp sims have a master control on page 2. This is set to different setting on each amp when you dial it in. On most that ive tried it works fine but not the calirectifier. The master is set on 3. Dial it down and it goes down -great. Dial it UP and it and the volume goes DOWN.

2. The script phaser mix parameter. It's a pretty soft phaser and the only available one to start with. As an aside - The HD500X script phaser had a more pronounced phase shift. The HD500x "Phaser" with phase "stage" parameters of 4, 8, 12 and 16 was perfect or close to - i tried to emulate my old 4th gen smallstone with colour switch (increases the number of phase stages) & got excellent results with the "phaser" in my hd500x.

Anyway back to the Helix - the mix parameter when dialled up from 50% to 100% actually reduces the amount of phase. Although i read the earlier comments (firmware 103) and understand the concept of mixing a shifted signal with the direct signal thus yielding most pronounced phase shift in the center (50%), considering the weakness of the only phaser in the helix it might actually be a bug. In the TC nova system they have a separate parameter for polarity which travels from -100% to 100% and the helix mix parameter seems to do something like that, but in my experience most fx pedals, 100% mix will usually mean 100% wetness of the effect. Considering the weakness of the phase i think it needs to be that way or some of the M13 fx need to be added to the Helix.

I guess this last thing isnt a bug but I'd really like to have the Line 6 Overdrive and Distortions (as from the HDx) included in the Helix. I find the others though authentic not usable to get a crunch to metal tone as i could with those 2 pedals. The compulsion drive is as close as i can get but i can't run as heavy a metal tone through a clean amp using the current dist pedals. If I'm running the helix into the front of an amp which I'm forced to do in my B music course, then i dont really have any good simple dist options like that which i do have with my HD500x. Considering how much I spent i dont think i should have to be going back to the HD500x to for anything esp for workable dist pedals sims. (I tried using preamps as well into the front of an amp- no dice)

There are many things i like about the helix but i think that in getting caught up in recreating authentic fx, they may have forgotten about some of the great original line 6 fx they already have in their no longer flagship products that they excluded from the new flagship product.

Helix running latest firmware 1.04.03

Macbook Pro running El Capitan

Scarlett 2i4 Interface.

Ive only been using my Helix for a few weeks after buying it in late December and I have a bug whereby after either a few hours or a few minutes the Helix will lock up on the current preset.

Everything else becomes unresponsive. Switches, knobs and pedal. The only way i can clear the issue is to switch off and back on again.

I have tried various firmware to see if it helped and reinstalled all the patches but this never helps. You can be playing away for an hour then try to switch a patch or move up and down and nothing happens. You are stuck on your last preset while the rest of the machine goes into lockdown.

I've raised a ticket with support and let Thomann know as it may be getting shipped back if this cant be resolved.

Anyone else came across this?

Cheers,

Fraze.

Well as no one on here offered any kind of response I can reoprt back that Line 6 did.

They are obvously aware of some hardware issues as well as the software / update / firmware issues.

I had a note back to me today from line 6 advising me that my issue pertains to a hardware fault and to return the unit to the vendor for repair or replacement.

Thomann have been very good in realising it is a genuine fault and emailing me labels to have the Unit shipped back to Gremany from the UK at there cost.

As there is a turn around of 3 - 4 weeks on repairs and the next shipment of new Helix's are not due back in stock with them untill the begining of March, either way it looks like a substansial wait.

Long story short if your Helix suffers from continual 'lock ups' and the buttons unresponsive then chances are its a hardware issue and you will have to return the unit.

No amount of firmware updates are going to dig you out of a metaphorical hole. You will just have to bite the bullet and return to the shop from where it was purchased within there return policy dates for a refund. repair or new unit, depending on there stock availability and this is sticking point.

Are you prepared to wait for up to march for a new unit?... will you ever have confidence in a unit that has been 'repaired' or do you ask for a full refund and buy another option for your guitar rig?

If you have bought one with no niggles and know there is a possibility that a hardware issue may raise it's head past the return date I would like to think your confidence will remain firm and the machine performs as it should.

I also think Line 6 may have been pushed by there marketing to get this out there sooner rather than later. The amount of bugs on a unit costing over a grand is pretty inexcusable. Ever have to return a floor unit before ie Boss? Roland? Ibanez, ISP. TC Electronic? I've never.

Like I said I dont blame the tech guys at line 6 as I think they've been pushed into an early realise date (after four years working on it, I cant blame Yamaha either for starting to look for some of there investment back )

Personaly I think its been pushed out too soon and the fact that demand is outstripping the ability to supply would sugest this.

If there is any light at the end of the tunnel it will be that the mkII version will be more bug free. (hopefully)

Cheers,

Fraze.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I had been using a demo unit with no issues from October to January. Mine showed up 2 weeks ago and I have already lost sound output on it a couple of times. The latest was yesterday (when maxed the  expression pedal 1) in the middle of a gig , I had to restart, and it came back up about one second before a solo section. Pretty scary. I have also had my unit totally lock up on me numerous times while editing presets.

Hope it is not a hardware issue.

I am hoping that I am doing something wrong with the  expression  pedal switch to cause the output to drop out. We will see tonight as I make sure not to hit the expression  toe switch at all.

I had been using a demo unit with no issues from October to January. Mine showed up 2 weeks ago and I have already lost sound output on it a couple of times. The latest was yesterday (when maxed the expression pedal 1) in the middle of a gig , I had to restart, and it came back up about one second before a solo section. Pretty scary. I have also had my unit totally lock up on me numerous times while editing presets.

Hope it is not a hardware issue.

I am hoping that I am doing something wrong with the expression pedal switch to cause the output to drop out. We will see tonight as I make sure not to hit the expression toe switch at all.

Do you have the latest firmware installed?

• Downvote 1

I have found a bug in Helix program:

When you try to import an IR with a long name the progam crashes. I've tried to import the free sample from Red Wire and the name was like this:

"Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapEdge-1in.wav"

After renaming in "1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapEdge-1in.wav" the IR is imported correctly.

I just got my Helix yesterday after having had almost every modeller under the sun for the past 15 years except Vox stuff. I have had 2 Axe-Fx Ultras, 2 Axe-Fx IIs and 2 Kempers, POD HDs. I know ...

I got the Helix because of the form-factor and the fact that it was supposed to do USB audio that I need for using effects plugins hosted by Apples MainStage, something the Fractal AX8 cannot do without an external sound card, and the AX8 doesn't have a built in expression pedal. 

Unfortunately, using it as a USB sound card produces a storm of digital noise. Hopefully you will fix this soon, Line 6. Otherwise the Helix is a fantastic platform that does everything I need and want, and I´m very thankful for you bringing it to the market.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's me - but I've been using it live for the past three nights. Tonight, when I clicked the wah, I lost all volume on all my patches. Only way to get sound back is to restart...

I had this happen this weekend. This is totally unacceptable. It happened in the middle of a song on stage.

I had this happen this weekend. This is totally unacceptable. It happened in the middle of a song on stage.

Are you running the latest firmware? This was a known bug in an earlier firmware, so if it's still showing up, it would be good to know. If you haven't installed the latest firmware, you should do it ASAP.

Are you running the latest firmware? This was a known bug in an earlier firmware, so if it's still showing up, it would be good to know. If you haven't installed the latest firmware, you should do it ASAP.

I have not updated firmware. I will do this tomorrow night. I've used the Helix on stage 3 times prior to this and never had a problem so I didn't update. Thanks for the response.

Guys, having a problem with Helix remembering a footswitch assignment.  I have a delay assigned to a momentary footswitch and upon changing programs and coming back to this patch it comes up different than saved.

I save it as delay off with a momentary footswitch to on.  Then save the program.  Change programs and it comes back inverted with the delay on and the momentary footswitch turning it off.

No USB or midi cables connected.  several power cycles tried.  I can't say for sure but I don't think this happened with tape 4 but I just upgraded to 6 yesterday and noticed it then.

I've used the same technique in other programs without a problem but had the delay in serial.  In the program with the problem, I have the delay after a split in a parallel path.  I've tried moving the delay around and changing it between a couple different models with the same problem re-appearing.

Have another similar problem. 

Just on the chain the particle verb, I tried to assign mix for momentary switch (0% to 50%) on FS2, and after saving it it goes permanent on with values 0% to 100%

Also when switch off, trail no working...

Have another similar problem. 

Just on the chain the particle verb, I tried to assign mix for momentary switch (0% to 50%) on FS2, and after saving it it goes permanent on with values 0% to 100%

Also when switch off, trail no working...

I couldn't duplicate this on mine...

About the trails. If you're assigning the mix to a switch, the trails won't work right.

If you assign a switch to toggle the particle verb block, then the trails will work.

Or you could put the verb in a parallel path, make the mix 100%, and assign the route to parameter of an A/B split to a switch, muting the path the verb is on, and use the mixer block to control the mix. Doing it this way, it doesn't matter what the trails parameter is set to, as you'll always have trails because the particle verb is always on. But you'll have to use one of the four paths for this purpose alone.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't duplicate this on mine...

About the trails. If you're assigning the mix to a switch, the trails won't work right.

If you assign a switch to toggle the particle verb block, then the trails will work.

Or you could put the verb in a parallel path, make the mix 100%, and assign the route to parameter of an A/B split to a switch, muting the path the verb is on, and use the mixer block to control the mix. Doing it this way, it doesn't matter what the trails parameter is set to, as you'll always have trails because the particle verb is always on. But you'll have to use one of the four paths for this purpose alone.

Interesting! I will re flash just in case! Thanks Duncann

When you save the patch is the delay on or off? Make sure it is in whatever state you want it to be in when recalled, when you save it.

Did this about 20 times:

turn delay off, hit save, acknowledge save, change program, return to program, delay is on.  Lather rinse repeat.  Ponder symptoms of insanity. Same result.

Guess I need to film it.

I have something similar yet slightly different going on.

I have two additional expression pedals attached.  First, strangely, the two exp pedals show up as Exp2 and Exp3.  I would have though that they would be 3 & 4.

I save a preset with the internal Exp (exp1) pedal assigned to say the gain in a volume pedal block.  When I recall that preset that setting is sometime set to Exp2 and moved out to one of my outboard pedals.  

This is a problem since I have Exp2 already assigned to control modulation parameters.

Very frustrating.

I have something similar yet slightly different going on.

I have two additional expression pedals attached.  First, strangely, the two exp pedals show up as Exp2 and Exp3.  I would have though that they would be 3 & 4.

I save a preset with the internal Exp (exp1) pedal assigned to say the gain in a volume pedal block.  When I recall that preset that setting is sometime set to Exp2 and moved out to one of my outboard pedals.  

This is a problem since I have Exp2 already assigned to control modulation parameters.

Very frustrating.

This is the expected behavior. There are three expression pedal controllers available - EXP1, EXP2 and EXP3. If you have no external pedals attached, the onboard pedal toggles between EXP1 and EXP2 by activating the toe switch. If you have a pedal plugged into the EXP2 jack, the onboard pedal will always be EXP1 and the external pedal will be EXP2.

I think there is still a bug in the expression pedal switch scribble strip labeling functionality. If you custom label the expression switch scribble strip, for example, "WAH", save it, then pick another preset and come back, you have to push the expression pedal switch one time to get your label back. Until then it shows the default "EXP1 EXP 2". This makes no sense as the custom label might be some information you need to see when the preset first comes up such as "PhsrRate" or "WHAMMY". You should not have to actually engage the expression switch to see what it does (per your custom label).

The functionality is still wonky for expression switch labeling although the loss of volume pedal control has been remedied, good on that. Is everyone else seeing the same problem/bug?

No offence intended but whoever is working the issues with custom labeling the expression switch scribble strip needs to do a better job of QA. It took about 60 seconds to find this problem, all you had to do was switch presets and come back to the one with the custom label. This can't possibly be the intended behavior for the expression switch labeling, can it? I realize there are more pressing issues on the Helix now and this can wait but Helix users should not have to be the QA team for such an easily detected issue. We waited months for the fix to the loss of volume control caused by a custom label, I hope this fix comes sooner, I hope it is a simple one.

Firmware: v1.06.0
Bug: Expression pedal switch scribble strip not showing custom label after switching presets until the expression pedal fooswitch is pushed at least once.

(Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

• Custom label expression pedal footswitch scribble strip, in my example I named it "WAH".
  • Save the preset. Choose another preset. Return to the preset with the custom label.
  • Instead of the custom label being a greyed out "WAH", the expression switch scribble strip shows the default "EXP 1 EXP 2".
  • If you activate the wah, your custom label reappears, if you turn the wah off you get a greyed out "WAH" label. The behavior is inconsistent.
  • After switching presets to a preset with a custom label on the expression footswitch, you should see the custom lablel, not "EXP 1 EXP2" (the default).

Last but not least, the Helix really needs the ability to switch between two labels, e.g. "WAH" & "VOL". It is extremely difficult to see whether the expression switch custom scribble strip label is greyed out or not on the fly in a live situation. The other switches have the advantage of a colored ring to help indicate their status but the minor difference between greyed out and not on the expression switch scribble strip can be very hard to detect without any other visual cues. For now though I would be perfectly happy just to see the current functionality working correctly. Thanks!

I already made some remarks on other threads about the app not being stable with OSX El Capitan. It crashes every few minutes/seconds, especially with export and import.

But I also found that when I try to import setlists (I was lucky once or twice when the export succeeded), often the imported presets all have the same settings (from the first preset) or are all blanco. The name of the preset is still there.

And, when connected to my macbook pro, Helix crashes too sometimes: just freezes, no buttons are operating, but I can still play. Or, it freezes and the main screen goes to black (with backlight on).

When it's not connected to my laptop, the Helix works like a charm.

What could cause this?

• Bad firmware Helix?
  • Bad app?
  • Bad Apple OS?
  • Bad USB-ports?
  • Bad cables?

Helpdesk sugested: reinstall app, new firmware update, factory settings, new cables, different usb ports. Did all that. Now their suggestion is: return to the shop and ask for a new one. Since they are almost always out of stock, I hope to find a better solution here.

Anyone? Thanks!

I have a bit of weirdness going on with MIDI.

I have the Helix base channel set to 16 and it is responding to program changes being sent on Channel 12! The program change is designated for a different piece of equipment but the Helix is changing patches at the same time. It should only respond to changes on Channel 16 with my setup.

Yesterday I tried to save one factory preset to another setlist (not via the app, but on the Helix itself) and in stead of copying just that one preset,  it copied all factory presets to that other setlist. And it had overwritten all the presets that were already there.... 

Yesterday I tried to save one factory preset to another setlist (not via the app, but on the Helix itself) and in stead of copying just that one preset,  it copied all factory presets to that other setlist. And it had overwritten all the presets that were already there.... 

Which version of the firmware are you on?

Which version of the firmware are you on?

The only thing I can think of that might help is something you may already be aware of. You must have the Setlist selected from the pulldown menu (e.g. "Factory 1" or "User 1") that you want to import to in the Helix App before you run the "Import Setlist" procedure .  Otherwise I believe it will just overwrite whatever Setlist you have selected.  I don't think the saved/exported setlists have any context to know where you want to load them. You have to select your target list. This is probably how it should work because you might be loading to a different list than you exported from. This flexibility does  unfortunately make it easier to load over the wrong list.

Or alternatively, you may have run the "Import Setlist" procedure instead of the "Import" procedure, which now that I look more closely at your post may be what happened. The same rules apply there as well, make sure you select the single preset you want to overwrite before you run the "Import" procedure.

Well, everything you say is true, but I was not working with the app, but on the actual Helix itself. I just saved one factory preset to another setlist and it copied all factory presets to that other setlist. And erased everything else that was in that list.

I did not have the App running at that time

Well, everything you say is true, but I was not working with the app, but on the actual Helix itself. I just saved one factory preset to another setlist and it copied all factory presets to that other setlist. And erased everything else that was in that list.

I did not have the App running at that time

I see that detail about this happening on the Helix without the app, sorry I missed that. What a drag, that is just plain freaky. I would reinstall the firmware and do the button 9&10 reset procedure. If it happens again I would open a ticket with Line6. That does not sound good.

Review this and tell me if I'm doing something wrong here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkhrwb23-w

This happens most of the time but not ALL the time.  I use a similar technique in other patches and haven't had the same problem.

My experience is that if you have a single block assigned to a footswitch then the bypassed/active state of the block always mirrors the off/on state of the footswitch.  I have not found a way to have a footswitch go on and its single assigned block go to bypassed.  What I've also found is that the way this is enforced seems to be inconsistent.  Sometimes the system enforces this straight away, other times it appears to work but is then lost once you move away and then come back to the patch as in your case here.

I've also found that this behaviour applies to the last assigned block in a multiple assignment situation too.  The bypassed/active state of last assigned block will always follow the off/on state of the switch.

I've been told that this behaviour isn't the case but nobody has so far provided a method which has been successful in making the unit I have do otherwise.  After the last response I got telling me exactly how to do it didn't work I gave up asking and I just live with it.

My experience is that if you have a single block assigned to a footswitch then the bypassed/active state of the block always mirrors the off/on state of the footswitch.  I have not found a way to have a footswitch go on and its single assigned block go to bypassed.  What I've also found is that the way this is enforced seems to be inconsistent.  Sometimes the system enforces this straight away, other times it appears to work but is then lost once you move away and then come back to the patch as in your case here.

I've also found that this behaviour applies to the last assigned block in a multiple assignment situation too.  The bypassed/active state of last assigned block will always follow the off/on state of the switch.

I've been told that this behaviour isn't the case but nobody has so far provided a method which has been successful in making the unit I have do otherwise.  After the last response I got telling me exactly how to do it didn't work I gave up asking and I just live with it.

I think I understand the issue you are describing and I have struggled with it as well.  To paraphrase the problem you are describing:

1. When assigning a block to a footswitch the footswitch should light up when the block is engaged (not bypassed)
  2. In the case of a multiple block assignment, touching (not pressing) the footswitch again should cycle to the next block assigned to that footswitch, the footswitch should then light up or not depending on whether that block is bypassed or not.
  3. This does not always seem to happen consistently, particularly with the last block assigned making it difficult to tell which of your multiple blocks will be bypassed or not when the footswitch is depressed.
  4. Saving, and then going to another preset and then coming back to the one you were working on often demonstrates your assignment was successful but it would be nice for the process to be less confusing and not require this preset "save,switch preset, return to preset" procedure to establish what is actually happening with your multiple footswitch assignment.
  5. To reiterate, it often takes two attempts, switching away from and then back to the preset for a multiple assignment, to actually ensure every block is in the desired state (bypassed or not) and then possibly having to tweak bypass states a second time as needed.