Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

What I'm saying is that the opposite of your (1), that is to say have the switch light up when its assigned block goes bypassed, is something I haven't been able to do.  I don't know if it is possible but if it is I can't work out how to do it.  In some situations it appears to have worked but then if you save the patch, go to another one then come back it reverts to switch lit equals block active.

The second thing I am saying is that when you assign multiple blocks the very last one you assign always follows the state of the switch, that is to say it is bypassed when the switch is off and active when the switch is on.  You can change the bypassed/active state of previously assigned blocks to be either way but not the last one.  The last one always follows the switch.  Again it may be possible to configure things so this doesn't happen but again if it is I can't work out how to do it.  I just end up having to make sure that a block I want active when the switch is on is the last one that gets assigned

Just to further clarify the second point.  When I say that the last assigned block always follows the switch, if you edit the bypassed state of the last assigned block then the switch state changes to maintain the fixed relationship.  You cannot so far as I can see invert that relationship.  The last assigned block is always switch lit equals active.

Also I've been given a number of ways to achieve what I haven't been able to do and they either address an issue that isn't what I'm talking about or they don't work.

I think I understand the issue you are describing and I have struggled with it as well. To paraphrase the problem you are describing:

• When assigning a block to a footswitch the footswitch should light up when the block is engaged (not bypassed)
  • In the case of a multiple block assignment, touching (not pressing) the footswitch again should cycle to the next block assigned to that footswitch, the footswitch should then light up or not depending on whether that block is bypassed or not.
  • This does not always seem to happen consistently, particularly with the last block assigned making it difficult to tell which of your multiple blocks will be bypassed or not when the footswitch is depressed.
  • Saving, and then going to another preset and then coming back to the one you were working on often demonstrates your assignment was successful but it would be nice for the process to be less confusing and not require this preset "save,switch preset, return to preset" procedure to establish what is actually happening with your multiple footswitch assignment.
  • To reiterate, it often takes two attempts, switching away from and then back to the preset for a multiple assignment, to actually ensure every block is in the desired state (bypassed or not) and then possibly having to tweak bypass states a second time as needed.

What I'm saying is that the opposite of your (1), that is to say have the switch light up when its assigned block goes bypassed, is something I haven't been able to do. I don't know if it is possible but if it is I can't work out how to do it. In some situations it appears to have worked but then if you save the patch, go to another one then come back it reverts to switch lit equals block active.

The second thing I am saying is that when you assign multiple blocks the very last one you assign always follows the state of the switch, that is to say it is bypassed when the switch is off and active when the switch is on. You can change the bypassed/active state of previously assigned blocks to be either way but not the last one. The last one always follows the switch. Again it may be possible to configure things so this doesn't happen but again if it is I can't work out how to do it. I just end up having to make sure that a block I want active when the switch is on is the last one that gets assigned

Just to further clarify the second point. When I say that the last assigned block always follows the switch, if you edit the bypassed state of the last assigned block then the switch state changes to maintain the fixed relationship. You cannot so far as I can see invert that relationship. The last assigned block is always switch lit equals active.

Also I've been given a number of ways to achieve what I haven't been able to do and they either address an issue that isn't what I'm talking about or they don't work.

After going back to investigate this further I think I have the procedure that can be reliably used to assign multiple footswitches with no weirdness or unexpected results whatsoever. Please let me know if this works for you.

PROCEDURE FOR ASSIGNING MULTIPLE BLOCKS TO A FOOTSWITCH

• Click the "MODE" footswitch to enter pedal view if you are not already there.
  • Use the joystick to navigate to the block you want to assign to a footswitch.
  • Now touch and hold the footswitch you want to assign to your block to. Do not click or tap the footswitch, just touch it gently and hold it like your favorite toy.
  • After you hold it for a second the "Footswitch Assign" screen will pop up. Hit "OK" to assign the footswitch.
  • Now use the joystick to navigate to the next block you want to assign and repeat step #3. Again, as long as you hold (keep your finger down without lifting) the footswitch rather than tapping it, the new block you are attempting to assign to the footswitch will stay selected and the "Footswitch Assign" screen will pop up. Now repeat step #4. You can repeat steps #2, #3, & #4 for up to 8 block assignments (at least as of this post).
  • Finally, after all your chosen blocks are assigned. You can tap (touch and quickly lift off, don't click) the footswitch you have assigned everything to. Notice this time you are tapping, not touching and holding. Each time you tap the footswitch it will move to the next block that you have in your multiple assignment. Push bypass (or not) for each block assigned depending on whether you want if on or off when the footswitch is engaged. Once you have done this you will notice that you can tap your way through the blocks and the footswitch will light up or go dim according to each block's bypass state.
  • Last but not least, if you want your preset to come up with your multiple assigned footswitch on, make sure that before you save it, you select (using the tap method in step #6) one of the blocks that is not bypassed on the multiple assignment. It does not matter which one of the blocks that is not bypassed you select. The opposite of course applies, if you want your preset to come up with the multiple footswitch dimmed and not selected, make sure you select any one of the blocks that is bypassed.
  • Now save your preset or all your work is for naught!

I appreciate you taking the time to do all of that and it seems a foolproof method for assigning multiple blocks but it doesn't allow me to do what I'm trying to do.  I'm obviously not explaining the issue very well.  Let me have another go:

I want all the blocks assigned to the switch to go bypassed when the switch is on/bright/lit and all the blocks assigned to the switch to go active when the switch is off/dim/unlit. 

I've tried this with one block and with multiple blocks and I can't do it.  I therefore conclude it is not possible.  Am I correct in this conclusion?  If not how do I do it?

I appreciate you taking the time to do all of that and it seems a foolproof method for assigning multiple blocks but it doesn't allow me to do what I'm trying to do.  I'm obviously not explaining the issue very well.  Let me have another go:

I want all the blocks assigned to the switch to go bypassed when the switch is on/bright/lit and all the blocks assigned to the switch to go active when the switch is off/dim/unlit.

I've tried this with one block and with multiple blocks and I can't do it.  I therefore conclude it is not possible.  Am I correct in this conclusion?  If not how do I do it?

I am not sure why you would want this behavior but I think your conclusion may be correct.  I know of no way to do this.

Review this and tell me if I'm doing something wrong here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkhrwb23-w

This happens most of the time but not ALL the time.  I use a similar technique in other patches and haven't had the same problem.

Wasn't it what BucF16 was trying to do in his video ?

I think BucF16 was having a problem where he was using "momentary" latching for the fooswitch and on/off state was not being reflected properly when he switched from one preset to another and came back to the preset with the momentary latch set. I have not been able to replicate that bug although that does not mean it doesn't exist.

For my specific problem I was told on another forum that this IS a bug in 1.06.  Specifically the problem occurs when the footswitch that calls up the patch is the same footswitch that is used to turn the effect on.  The bug is that it will always initialize to "on".  If I moved the effect to a different footswitch for this patch only it would work fine.

bought helix today - went to update 1.03 to 1.06

now it's bricked.

Boot Failure, Entered Update mode

red : 0 in the top corner - i've tried flashing it with as many flash files as you have on your website - and i'm constantly trying every update available.

no foot switch combinations fix anything.

It won't boot.

It won't update and work.

Possibly have to send it away and get a replacement according to my local Music store.

I'm using Mac 10.11.2

BUG Related to using Ableton on one Mac ( iMac 2011 ) - using HELIX as interface for IO - when operating and controlling this mac and ableton - remotely over Wi-Fi using a laptop ( Macbook Pro )  and Apple Remote Desktop.

[ i've raised a support ticket ]

I use my HELIX with Ableton on my 2011 iMac ( El Cap ). 

Often  I operate my iMac remotely using Apple Remote Desktop - from my Macbook Pro over wi-fi . 

I am noticing that when I set Ableton to use HELIX as the USB input and output device - Ableton suddenly uses a lot more CPU - and control over it using Apple Remote Desktop becomes choppy and slow.  Soon as I revert back to main headphone outputs on the iMac - and select no input - or my old L6 TonePort GX interface as input - everything is fine - and I can control the mac and Ableton remotely fine. 

It is as if something about the connection stream ( interprocess-related or IPC or TCPIP related ) is clogging the CPU bandwidth.  

I can notice the amount of CPU being taken up by Ableton going up, AND the CPU being taken up by Apple Remote Desktop. 

This is something you guys should be able to repeat. 

Just to add - there is my JTV plugged into the VDI connector at the time this is happening. 

PROBLEM is this:  When I save a bundle and then re-import it, the scribble strips are all mis-located. For example, it says Twin, when it should say Soldano. All the sounds are in their proper positions, but all the User Preset names are all wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

Dylan

PROBLEM is this:  When I save a bundle and then re-import it, the scribble strips are all mis-located. For example, it says Twin, when it should say Soldano. All the sounds are in their proper positions, but all the User Preset names are all wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

Dylan

I am not having this issue although I did not try to import a bundle after the upgrade. Which version of the Helix App (1.03 or 1.04) did you use to backup your presets with before your upgrade and which version did you use for the restore after the upgrade? Also, as mentioned elsewhere, in the future, you may want to avoid importing a bundle back in after an upgrade and instead only import User setlists; otherwise you lose the benefits of any new or tweaked factory presets as they are all overwritten with a bundle import.

I know it doesn't do you any good after the fact but I have found the best way to use factory presets is to copy them to a User list first and tweak them there. That way I always have the original factory preset for reference and I don't have to worry about firmware updates overwriting my tweaked factory presets (I also always have my User lists, presets from scratch, and tweaked factory presets, backed up).

I am not having this issue although I did not try to import a bundle after the upgrade. Which version of the Helix App (1.03 or 1.04) did you use to backup your presets with before your upgrade and which version did you use for the restore after the upgrade? Also, as mentioned elsewhere, in the future, you may want to avoid importing a bundle back in after an upgrade and instead only import User setlists; otherwise you lose the benefits of any new or tweaked factory presets as they are all overwritten with a bundle import.

I know it doesn't do you any good after the fact but I have found the best way to use factory presets is to copy them to a User list first and tweak them there. That way I always have the original factory preset for reference and I don't have to worry about firmware updates overwriting my tweaked factory presets (I also always have my User lists, presets from scratch, and tweaked factory presets, backed up).

Great thanks for the input. I did exactly that....exported the bundle and then reimported after the firmware upgrade. So I guess like you said, I overwrote any new presets from the firmware update. So I just backed up the playlist instead of the whole bundle, like you said. I just updated my Helix app too (it was 1.02) to the current 1.04. Now I'm using the updater to re-update the 1.06.5 so I can regain the lost presets.

So let's see if now I have any trouble with backing up and reimporting things with the scribble strips.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Dylanj

Great thanks for the input. I did exactly that....exported the bundle and then reimported after the firmware upgrade. So I guess like you said, I overwrote any new presets from the firmware update. So I just backed up the playlist instead of the whole bundle, like you said. I just updated my Helix app too (it was 1.02) to the current 1.04. Now I'm using the updater to re-update the 1.06.5 so I can regain the lost presets.

So let's see if now I have any trouble with backing up and reimporting things with the scribble strips.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Dylanj

Sounds like a good plan, good luck!

now it's bricked.

red : 0 in the top corner - i've tried flashing it with as many flash files as you have on your website - and i'm constantly trying every update available.

It won't boot.

Possibly have to send it away and get a replacement according to my local Music store.

I'm using Mac 10.11.2

Hi, did you ever get this sorted out? I had the same problem which turned out to be the strange problem of the Helix and Usb communications where issues can manifest in weird and not so wonderful ways. The problem was solved by firstly downloading THE LATEST installers and ALSO downloading the actual firmware update file and select it for the update process (don't let the updater stream it in real time from the web server during the update!)

Secondly, I connected the helix via a Elgato Thunderbolt hub. Line 6 says NOT to use hubs but for me this has been the ONLY way to get solid USB connectivity with my Helix.

Cheers!

Don

<rant mode>

I have now reported two bugs to Line 6 using the support ticket mechanism.  In both cases the initial response I got showed that the responder had not read and/or understood what I had written and gave an answer that wholly failed to address the issue.  We are rightly encouraged to raise issues through the proper channels but come on Line 6, at least do us the service of properly reading what we write rather than jumping to conclusions.  

I know enough about software engineering from 35 years in the game to spot a bug when I see one, and both of the things I've raised are nailed on bugs which are not going to magically go away by reloading the firmware.  Next time I find one I wont bother to waste my time telling you about it.

</rant mode>

:angry:

<rant mode>

I have now reported two bugs to Line 6 using the support ticket mechanism.  In both cases the initial response I got showed that the responder had not read and/or understood what I had written and gave an answer that wholly failed to address the issue.  We are rightly encouraged to raise issues through the proper channels but come on Line 6, at least do us the service of properly reading what we write rather than jumping to conclusions.  

I know enough about software engineering from 35 years in the game to spot a bug when I see one, and both of the things I've raised are nailed on bugs which are not going to magically go away by reloading the firmware.  Next time I find one I wont bother to waste my time telling you about it.

</rant mode>

:angry:

Well, if they're bugs in the firmware, the customer service person who responds to the tickets isn't really going to be able to address them anyway. I'm sure they pass those reports on to the developers and let them sort them all out, though.

Well, if they're bugs in the firmware, the customer service person who responds to the tickets isn't really going to be able to address them anyway. I'm sure they pass those reports on to the developers and let them sort them all out, though.

As long as the customer service person does state that they are passing this on and will try to get an answer for you, I see nothing wrong with that path.

As long as the firmware people will talk to customer service that is.  :P

Hey guys,
I got my Helix yesterday and I'm trying to import custom tones using the helix software. After importing 4 tones the software crashed and a error message is shown: "Can not connect to device"

Updating firmware/using older firmware or factory reset doesn't help. 

I'm using a Macbook Pro with El Capitan 10.11.3.

Anybody having the same issue?

Thanks and Cheers
Michael

Hey guys,

I got my Helix yesterday and I'm trying to import custom tones using the helix software. After importing 4 tones the software crashed and a error message is shown: "Can not connect to device"

Updating firmware/using older firmware or factory reset doesn't help. 

I'm using a Macbook Pro with El Capitan 10.11.3.

Anybody having the same issue?

Thanks and Cheers

Michael

This is apple fault not Helix. There are many posts about this

• Downvote 1

I get a very similar problem on Windows 7 - lots of crackles and pops while playing and recording - it makes the Helix pretty much unusable as an audio card, I only use it when I want to record my variax so I can get the mags and the emulated dry sound.

Now I've noticed that it works fine right after a reboot, but if you leave the computer and switch off (did not unplug first) the Helix then turn it back on (while the computer is running) that's when it happens. The only workaround (if you can call it that) is to reboot - and *then* it works fine. I rarely reboot my computer, next time I do I'll run more tests (like try to switch to another audio device before turning off the Helix) and report what I find.

So can you change the buffer size after reboot? The thing is that the buffer size is stuck at 128 (windows 7 in my case). Moving that slider doesn't change anything. And this setting is ok only for rather "light" projects on my computer, I need to increase it.

And my ticket stays open already for one week

The bugs with the expression pedal footswitch custom labeling of the scribble strip just seem to keep dragging on, the last fix did not seem to correct the issue properly unless this is user error (I don't think it is). If someone knows how to make this custom labeling behave properly, please post the procedure up here. 

Firmware: 1.06.5

Bug: When you use a custom label on the scribble strip for the expression pedal switch, it always comes up in the "on" state (lit) when you have a volume and wah block selected, or for that matter a volume block and any block/parameter selected. The scribble strip does not seem to accurately reflect the on/off state of the blocks you have assigned to it. The state of the scribble strip does not change initially until the expression pedal is pressed twice, after that, one click will change the gray/lit state of the scribble switch.

How to recreate bug:
1. Create a preset with a volume block and a wah block.
2. Assign a custom label to the expression pedal switch, for example "WAH"
3. Save the preset, go to another preset and come back to the one with the custom label.
4. You will see that the label comes up lit instead of grayed out as it should be. You will be in this example still controlling the volume, even though the "WAH" on the scribble strip is lit (not grayed out).
5. Now click the expression pedal switch, the state of the custom labeled scribble strip does not change, it stays lit, but now you are actually controlling the wah.
6. Click the expression pedal switch again. Now the scribble strip starts to inaccurately reflect the state of the blocks assigned to the expression pedal switch. 

The behavior of the scribble strip for the expression pedal switch should allow it to come up grayed out when it is controlling the volume (default) and light up when the "Wah" is selected. Instead, this behavior only occurs after you click twice on the expression pedal switch. Then the scribble strip starts going from lit/gray with only one click. It seems to me that the way this scribble strip is intended to be used in the VOL/WAH example for the custom label to light up when the wah is selected.

You can try this example on a blank preset with nothing but a volume and a phaser block. Things get even weirder when you try to assign for instance the expression pedal toe switch to the phaser block and assign the phaser rate to EXP 1.  

1. Set up a blank preset with a volume block and a Script Mod Phase
  2. Assign the expression toe switch to the Script Mod Phase
  3. Assign the Script Mod Phase rate to EXP 1
  4. Custom label the expression toe switch "PHSR"
  5. Save your preset, switch away and come back.
  6. Total weirdness ensues! Try to make rhyme or reason of the scribble strip behavior as you click on the footswitch. The first click always seems to leave the scribble strip lit up. Only on the second click does the state of the scribble strip even start to change. Try to get the scribble strip to light up when the Phaser is on and volume is off, and gray out when the volume is on and the Phaser is off.

If you custom label the expression switch "PHSR" you don't want it to light up until you click the switch and the phaser block comes on and the phaser rate is being controlled.  Right now, when you select the preset, the "PHSR" is already lit up although you are only controlling the volume. Once you click the switch it stays lit, but now you are actually controlling the phaser rate.  Click the expression pedal switch again and the scribble strip grays out and starts to reflect the opposite of what it is controlling. And just to make it super confusing, it requires one click of the pedal before it even starts operating "abnormally".  As if this wasn't all confusing enough, depending on how I set it up, I can get the opposite behavior where the scribble strip always comes up grayed out and takes two clicks before it starts switching between grayed out and lit. Again, if anyone has the right procedure for setting up a custom scribble strip for the expression toe switch, please do us all a favor and share it. Make sure you switch away from and then back to your test preset when trying it. Thanks!

I get a very similar problem on Windows 7 - lots of crackles and pops while playing and recording - it makes the Helix pretty much unusable as an audio card, I only use it when I want to record my variax so I can get the mags and the emulated dry sound.

Now I've noticed that it works fine right after a reboot, but if you leave the computer and switch off (did not unplug first) the Helix then turn it back on (while the computer is running) that's when it happens. The only workaround (if you can call it that) is to reboot - and *then* it works fine. I rarely reboot my computer, next time I do I'll run more tests (like try to switch to another audio device before turning off the Helix) and report what I find.

So can you change the buffer size after reboot? The thing is that the buffer size is stuck at 128 (windows 7 in my case). Moving that slider doesn't change anything. And this setting is ok only for rather "light" projects on my computer, I need to increase it.

And my ticket stays open already for one week

I noticed even more wierd behavior: it goes GRADUALLY from normal to low-bitrate sound and back (with a period like 10 seconds) during playback in DAW! Re-choosing it as audio interface can fix it. In fact it's a lottery: when you choose it as audio interface you can get three options: 1 - normal sound, 2 - low bitrate sound, 3 - changing (described above)

The driver really needs to be fixed!!

Unfortunately I'll have to return helix next week if I don't get any response from line6 on this matter. I bought it MAINLY due to its audio interface features, but this is where it fails most ridiculously ((

UPDATE: it IS possible to change the buffer size, but ONLY trough Control Panel -> Helix Control Panel. Not from DAW. So the bug is not catastrophic, but still needs to be fixed. No bitrate bugs appeared so far with larger buffer.

Edited by Gniyushher

Bug Report.   Received my Helix today!!!  At first power up I did an immediate latest firmware update (1.06.5) before I started using.  I've just finished going through all Factory Presets 1 and 2 and have discovered a bug.  Factory 2 - Preset 20B - SFX:EXP Disturb.  When sweeping the delay with the foot controller to the toe down position all audio output is lost and Helix must be rebooted to resume audio output.

Okay, here's an interesting glitch.

I can only stay on preset Factory 2 -> 20B: SFX:Holkulani for about 20 seconds before all sound ceases from Helix.  The only way to get sound back is to reboot the unit.  It's repeating every single time I try it.  I've spent all weekend running through the other presets and creating my own and 20B is the only thing giving me any trouble.

Perhaps some of you guys could pull up that patch and see if the sound holds for more than 30 seconds.

Firmware 1.02.2, JTV69 via VDI, XLR out to PA, L6 Link out to DT, MIDI out to DT, USB Not connected.

I'm having the same issue on 20B.  However it's SFX:EXP Disturb not SFX:Hokulani (20A).  All audio stops when foot controller is placed in toe down position.  Helix must be rebooted.  Latest firmware - 1.06.5.

• 2 weeks later...

This bug has happened a few times.

When on an amp block rotating the joystick right while on the "A30 Fawn Brt" model instead of "Matchstick Ch1" being selected, "Matchstick ch2" is instead. You can clear the issue by pressing the joystick down and then changing the amp model, then the normal selection starts working again.

I have a video showing the bug here:

Hi, did you ever get this sorted out? I had the same problem which turned out to be the strange problem of the Helix and Usb communications where issues can manifest in weird and not so wonderful ways. The problem was solved by firstly downloading THE LATEST installers and ALSO downloading the actual firmware update file and select it for the update process (don't let the updater stream it in real time from the web server during the update!)

Secondly, I connected the helix via a Elgato Thunderbolt hub. Line 6 says NOT to use hubs but for me this has been the ONLY way to get solid USB connectivity with my Helix.

Cheers!

Don

I wanted to see if this issue was resolved as well. I experience the same behavior on Windows 7. Any help is appreciated.

now it's bricked.

It won't boot.

I'm using Mac 10.11.2

Any updates on this? I have the exact same issue though I am on Windows 7. I've opened a support ticket, but thought I would check and see if anyone had a solution. Thanks!

I am running 1.06.05.  When I program the tuner to output to send 1/2 (for external tuner) it works fine.  I save it and on restart it has gone back to default (mute).  A bug or intentional design?  

Thanks,

Mark

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is a bug, but sure it's a problem. With a button that activates/deactivates two blocks, touching (not pressing) the button, invert the block that should be activated. In a live situation, you have a big problem :-(

I've recorded a video, I hope you can see clearly the behaviour

https://youtu.be/0IR5_8emUmg

I don't know if this is a bug, but sure it's a problem. With a button that activates/deactivates two blocks, touching (not pressing) the button, invert the block that should be activated. In a live situation, you have a big problem :-(

I've recorded a video, I hope you can see clearly the behaviour

this has been noted before. I find it a little frustrating too. The only solution I can think of is to make sure its saved in the proper behavior. Then its perfect live unless you play barefoot. Or wear a glove with one finger cut off. Ooo, an offical Line 6 Helix editing glove - $39.95 please specify left or right. :)