Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

The update does not do this automatically. It must be done manually.

+1 Silverhead.

I found that out even though, as I watch both the unit and the editor due to my OCD, it makes some statement about updating that I mistakenly took for that function. :blink:

Dennis

The only two issues with App/FW 2.00 I have are

1. using the guitar only input is that I cannot copy the block.  When I paste the copied block which has the value set to 22k it is auto to the preset I paste it into.  All the other values come across but not the Z. However, individually my Z value does change and save.
  2. When I update all my personal presets, after re-importing them and drag and dropping all the IRs, using FS10 & FS11 two of my presets where still named but had no blocks and no custom paths; as if they were new presets

[NOTE: I imported my two complete setlists in the correct locations and even had printout of where each preset was in each setlist PLUS I had individual exports of each preset]

Dennis

After an update Helix automatically restarts and rebuilds the factory presets but not the user Setlists. Perhaps that's what you're recalling.

Could be.  One thing I do [Type A, anal, OCD that I am] is completely set my Helix to factory after exporting all my custom setlists so it appears virgin before going to the next update.  Then I do the FS9 & FS10 anyway and then import my custom stuff so I finally do FS10 & FS11.  I have found I have to use the FS10 & FS11 feature several times to make sure all my presets are updated (lots of stereo, route to, multiple paths).  Saves my bacon every once in awhile :lol:

Dennis

Firmware 2.00 update is fantastic.

I do however have something that isn't functioning, and I suspect it's not by design.

The state of the input gate is not switchable per Snapshot - I have a two amp patch, and with the dirt I need the gate, but the clean doesn't (and is in fact de-nuanced a bit by it).

I had a switch set up to swap out all of the factors required prior to the new firmware, but I wanted to make a new version of it using Snapshots instead.

This is the one shortcoming I've run into.

... and for the record, I know I could add in a gate block and that would, I'm sure, switch properly - however, this testing I'm doing is in preparation for doing a similar translation of my 'Swiss Army Knife' super-patch - that one has zero room to squeeze in a gate...

Has anyone else observed this behavior? Seems like it might be associated with the input Z setting not acting as expected in other reports.

*** IMMEDIATE UPDATE - scratch the above: I'm a fool, and didn't treat the status of the gate as a parameter.

I fixed this immediately by doing the PROPER thing for this, which was to PUSH IN knob 1 with the input block showing (gate status) and rotate it WHILE CONTINUING TO HOLD IT IN.

Now bracketed, and switches state as it's supposed to.

My sad mistake - but happy that it's not an issue, and equally happy that I realized my own mistake... =]

Volume pedal in front of chain doesn't work anymore.

Can you expand on this? Most of my presets use a volume pedal block as the first thing I the chain, and they all still work fine.

Just reporting that I had a lockup of the helix GUI while tweaking. Not connected to the computer, just a relatively simpl patch of just effects with 4 snapshots going into a real amp. The sound kept coming coming,but the interface stopped working as I was on the save screen. Lost 10 minutes of work. Turned it Off and back on and okay rest of day.

Hello,

Firmware: Helix 2.0

Editor: 2.0

This problem also happened in 1.12. I just updated to 2.0 hoping it would resolve the problem. :(

When I open the editor, it crashes the minute I try to do anything. The error says "Helix has stopped working"

If I click on the view details box it says 

problem event name = BEX

John

I got the Line6 Editor to work. I went into msconfig in windows and turned off all programs and services that I didn't need running at startup. After a reboot I'm up and running :)

If I had to guess I would say the sound card utility was the cause.

Hope this helps others with this problem.

John

I have found that the guitar input impedance (Guitar In-Z) setting no longer seems to save correctly in v2.00 firmware. On preset recall, the saved amount displays correctly, as saved, but a listening check suggests the system audio is actually defaulting back to either the "Auto' or '1M Ohm' setting. 

• Upvote 1

Hello,

Firmware: Helix 2.0

Editor: 2.0

This problem also happened in 1.12. I just updated to 2.0 hoping it would resolve the problem. :(

When I open the editor, it crashes the minute I try to do anything. The error says "Helix has stopped working"

If I click on the view details box it says

problem event name = BEX

John

Having the same issue. New unit, bought at the weekend, first thing i did was update to 2.0, did the 9 & 10'restsrt. Editor crashes every time with the message that it's stopped working.

I got the Line6 Editor to work. I went into msconfig in windows and turned off all programs and services that I didn't need running at startup. After a reboot I'm up and running :)

If I had to guess I would say the sound card utility was the cause.

Hope this helps others with this problem.

John

Running Win 10, but I'll give this a try

I have found that the guitar input impedance (Guitar In-Z) setting no longer seems to save correctly in v2.00 firmware. On preset recall, the saved amount displays correctly, as saved, but a listening check suggests the system audio is actually defaulting back to either the "Auto' or '1M Ohm' setting. 

tes I found the same

Want to report a confirmed bug with Simple Pitch and Whammy. 

Prior to the 2.0 Upgrade I could use both of these features to tune my guitar down both a half and whole step and it sounded great. Post update the quality of the effect sounds better until you play certain chords or string variations and then it sounds like a garbled digital noise. I've replicated this issue on both features. Glenn Dulane has found the same issue.  These features are critical for my use and they are now unusable. 

Original description of issue here: 

http://line6.com/support/topic/21635-pitch-shift-issues-after-the-20-update/

Helix Rack and Control - updated to FW 2.00.0

All editing done on the unit itself, not through the Helix App.

This problem existed prior to the update as well to some degree.

It seems that any time I make a footswitch assignment which includes doing a parameter change to turn the input gate on/off, I never know what I'm going to get each time I turn on Helix Rack - after the FW update, I believe every single one of my self-made patches of this nature had 'flipped' the lit/dim status indicator of these footswitches.

I have come up with a dependable method to correct this (de-assigning and then re-assigning a block whose state is the same as what I wish the LED ring to be in as default).

Yesterday I turned on and scrolled through, and all but one had flipped again.

I'm pretty certain that this happens ONLY with those switches which include that Gate on/off function (typically these are multi-function amp switching functions which for my purposes require the gate being on).

For those ready to suggest; I have literally no room in the path/DSP capacity to add a gate as a block - and shouldn't have to, as it's right there at the input waiting to be used. There's no option for me to move anything to Path 2x either; I've optimized it to the max, and am left with that.

It functions great; I just don't know whether or not the LED will 'lie' about the state of the patch - and it's ONLY the LED indicator; the blocks/parameters are all working as intended.

I rely on that indicator, and I have to assume that flipping them again for 3rd/4th/etc times won't make the change stick.

Successfully downloaded and installed firmware 2.0 last night! Overall very happy!

My favourite parts: 

• I really like the clean capabilities of the new Mesa amp channels, which I wasn't expecting. Going to try to get a Jeff Buckley clean out of them now.

• The Garbage/Wringer Fuzz is AMAZING. I am probably going to use it on every lead sound from now on. SO musical, useable- and it has a major cool factor to it as well- who would've thought of modelling a rare, broken Boss fuzz? Congratulations Line6 on a totally non-obvious yet brilliant decision.

Couple small bugs to note:

• Found scrolling through presets to be slightly but noticeably sluggish, compared to the previous, seemingly instantaneous response of the preset knob

• When naming a preset (or anything), the scroll button has to be pressed an extra time now- before it would just scroll from A to a to blank etc., but it doesn't respond until the second press now

• Upvote 1

Successfully downloaded and installed firmware 2.0 last night! Overall very happy!

• When naming a preset (or anything), the scroll button has to be pressed an extra time now- before it would just scroll from A to a to blank etc., but it doesn't respond until the second press now

+1 ryansalmond.  I have noticed this as well.

Dennis

It is a recognized bug now.  Line 6 support said they are working on it for the firmware release.  It is of interest to me that any patch that has the input block highlighted when saved also will appear as edited when it is turned on and/or chosen.  If I highlight any other block location (used or not by a FX) the preset will not exhibit that behavior.

Dennis

Playing a little more with firmware 2.0 last night, I noticed that in cab blocks, sometimes the range of values would be momentarily restricted when tweaking parameters- I would turn all the way to the right or all the way to the left but not be able to get to the top or bottom value without "backing off" towards the middle of the parameter's range and then taking another "run towards it" so to speak. For example, I would turn the knob for mic choice all the way left, and keep turning and turning, but only be able to get to the 421 say. Then I'd go back towards the 121, 160, 4038, and then turn all the way left again and be able to get to the 57.

I was with my good friend earlier today; we were both rocking our Helices (=]) - me; rack, he; floor - and he mentioned that very thing on a parameter (not the cab, but I formulated a quick theory on the spot which would fit this as well - if I happen to be correct.

The parameter knobs seem to sense rapid rotation and go into a more coarse 'quick' mode - I have a feeling that running right to the limit of a parameter while it's in this mode might 'log' the result; the backing off and re-approaching would have it back in 'fine' mode again, hence achieving the full range in detail.

Granularity =]

Again; just a theory, but seems to fit.

Not sure if this is reported yet .... when selecting an amp combo from the menu and scrolling down fast (turning the knob) to get to the new amps it would select a random amp and sometimes get stuck on that amp and had to reset power.

Side note: If you Export a "bundle" and then update the firmware do the factory reset then import that bundle you will have the factory presets from the previous firmware.  Not sure why this is useful but there it is and I wouldn't have known and probably did it before and didn't realize it.   

Hi all,

I just updated my Helix to 2.01 firmware as per instructions. Now my Helix is emmiting a horrid digital type disortion and noise which I found happens only with the USB plugged into my compluter. Have reported the issue. Helix seems to be fine with USB unplugged. Noise is VERY loud makes editing via computer unusable. Issue was not happening prior to firmware update.

Running a Sony Vaoi with window 8

Cheers.

It has been an issue before in very different variations and depends on several parameters. For me (Vers. 2.0 ), the noise is only there while the Laptop is on external power supply. If I use the internal battery, it's quiet.  It seems to be a problem of the eletricity circuit reacting with the usb connection, but there seems to be no cheap solution like a "DI-box"  for this...

Just updated to 2.01. In my main preset I have just been building in 2.00, with 3 amps and 8 snapshots, when I reloaded in 2.01 the 3 snapshots that use Solo Lead Clean had their channel volumes mistakenly changed to 0. The preset had been working fine in 2.00

I had saved 11 versions through the building stage. After importing post update 1-3 retained the correct value, 4-11 only had reset that specific parameter.

No other anomalies noticed so far

Just updated to 2.01. In my main preset I have just been building in 2.00, with 3 amps and 8 snapshots, when I reloaded in 2.01 the 3 snapshots that use Solo Lead Clean had their channel volumes mistakenly changed to 0. The preset had been working fine in 2.00

I had saved 11 versions through the building stage. After importing post update 1-3 retained the correct value, 4-11 only had reset that specific parameter.

Are you controlling those parameters with an expression pedal or just the snapshot controller? If you have them tied to an expression pedal, it could be that you need to change the EXP pedal position setting in the Global Settings menu back to per snapshot. I believe the default that it reverts to after doing the global reset is "per preset".

Line 6 is looking into this issue.  I have been tracking this issue since 1.7 and it still does this initially when I update.  I have found I have to save after every change to be safe then use FS10+FS11 upon reboot.  I know that this isn't a solution but that is how I address it for now.  Before I knew 2.01 was out I was requested to revert to factory defaults then update the FW again.  However, I used the 2.01 app & fw and reported the same issue in my current support ticket this time concerning three individual presets. 

I have reset the parameter settings and did the double save (tap save twice in a row) that is new to snapshots (or I never knew about it until then).  After that the settings stayed and I have not used the FS10+FS11 trick yet.

I'll report as I dig further.

Dennis

It has been an issue before in very different variations and depends on several parameters. For me (Vers. 2.0 ), the noise is only there while the Laptop is on external power supply. If I use the internal battery, it's quiet. It seems to be a problem of the eletricity circuit reacting with the usb connection, but there seems to be no cheap solution like a "DI-box" for this...

Are you controlling those parameters with an expression pedal or just the snapshot controller?

Line 6 is looking into this issue. I have been tracking this issue since 1.7 and it still does this initially when I update. Dennis

Just checked again.

What appears to have happened is that the value for the presence setting has been placed in the presence and channel volume setting.

Before upgrade from 2.00 to 2.01, snapshot 1 had the SoloLeadClean amp: presence 0.1, channel volume 7.8. After upgrade and importing preset. both were set to 0.1

Snapshot 2 had the SoloLeadCleanamp: presence 0, channel volume 4.5, both were set to 0 after importing. Same happened with snapshot 5.

All other settings in these snapshots were retained correctly and the other the other snapshots, 2 amps (Brit2204 SoloLeadOd) and 8 FX blocks were fine.

No parameters controlled with expression pedal, Global as standard per preset. Standard Wah and Volume pedal set up with built in controller.

Not a real problem for me as I copied the settings from an earlier version of the preset.

I would like to add that I adore my Helix. Had it since January and it's been great...but since the new version of the tuner and the addition of snapshots it is everything i could wish for. Line 6 team have done an amazing job.

I set it up so I have my snapshots on the bottom row and stomps on top. I set a flanger to switch on and off momentary. Last night, while playing a gig, I pressed down on it to enable it, then lifted my foot up to disable it, but when I started playing the rest of the song, I noticed it was still on. After trying to turn it off, I noticed that it was still momentary, but the on/off was reversed. I played the rest of the song with my foot holding the switch down. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just hitting the wrong thing with my foot. But this happened to me twice now.

Possibly related to the above, I had my various presets with function switches created by me (multifunction controller and block on/off switching) 'flipped' yet again, as happened with the 2.00.0 update.

Upon reloading and rebuilding my presets after the 2.01.0 FW update process, I checked and found all had been changed such that the LED indication was flipped - not quite as above, wherein shred440 had the actual STATUS of the effect flipped - but possibly related.

I'd like to know why these assignments don't seem to stick (I suspect it's something about the stacking of the functions, their order, and how that might be 'reorganized' on a rebuild etc).

I have a simple enough method to get the LED showing how I want it to again, I just don't want to have to do it for the MANY presets I've created which use this feature.

Some of those won't work to my liking being converted to Snapshots, so that's not the answer that I'm hoping to get =]

Also; not a 'bug' exactly, but a cautionary note in case anyone has run into failed exports and confusion:

Patches allow a broad range of characters to make the patch titles - this title is used as the file name when you export that single patch.

However, you will run into failures / errors if you've used characters which are restricted in terms of filenames for file systems.

(Probably a possible issue with previous devices; I don't recall due to my habitual naming conventions, avoiding those special characters automatically)

I noted this when exporting backups including individual patches, and finding errors, never having noted that some of the Bass-oriented presets using a prefix for their names - "BAS:"

The ":" colon character is an issue - at least on Windows file systems, and most likely on any currently existing file system.

There are others

@ # $ % & * ? < > | \ /

Spaces and '.' periods are special cases more or less.

At least some of these are available for patch naming on Helix.

There are articles on the web which discuss this topic much more effectively than I can =]

I have popping and cracking with HELIX ASIO drivers. I have gone through extensive troubleshooting, and here is the link to the thread I have in a different section before someone suggested posting it here. ReAmping is affected, even playback without ReAmping.

http://line6.com/support/topic/21665-i-need-some-help-popping-and-crackling/

There is a lot of information to read through in that thread,

This is the conclusion.

After further trouble shooting I tried FL ASIO driver (built in to the DAW I use) which basically just utilizes USB 1&2, the playback is buttery smooth. But with this route I lose the main function I got the Helix for (ReAmping). However when I switch back to Helix ASIO drivers still utilizing only USB 1&2 for strictly playback, the problem returns.

Which leads me to the conclusion that it is not a hardware malfunction with the Helix, but a problem with the HELIX ASIO drivers themselves. 

update! I have removed everything from my front ports of my PC, and have things connected to only the back ports. I mean nothing is connected to the front ports now. It seems to have improved, but I think I still here some in there using certain sounds within my DAW.

Also Roscoe here on the forums also checked FL Studio and found popping and cracking there as well. So There may be an issue with the Helix ASIO Windows drivers and FL studio. I might need to break out my copy of Studio One (I hope I can find the disk) and use that for my audio recording until the issues with FL Studio can be resolved.   As FLS is and will continue to be my main DAW.

Afer last firmware update 2.01, all my presets using the Twin Harmony pitch are broken. Twin Harmony now it sounds distorted and warbling on every single note.

I tried creating same patch from scratch but get the same issue.

Already tried to reset, but didnt solve. Twin Harmony seems now broken.

I think I've run into a firmware bug with v2.00 (I haven't updated to v2.01 yet and I don't see this issue listed as being fixed).

At the end of my signal chain in super serial mode, I put a Pan block to sum from stereo to mono.  The default setting when added is "Center".  Save the patch.  Go somewhere else and come back to the patch.  Pan block now reads "Right 100%".  Adjust back to "Center", save patch, repeat.  Always returns to "Right 100%".

Anyone else see this behavior?

(BTW, I'm trying to sum to mono because I use 1 XLR output to my Alto TS212 and the other XLR to FOH.  Anyone know if Helix will sum to mono if I run FOH from an XLR (ie, right) and my Alto from a 1/4" output (ie, also right)???)