Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

I think I've run into a firmware bug with v2.00 (I haven't updated to v2.01 yet and I don't see this issue listed as being fixed).

At the end of my signal chain in super serial mode, I put a Pan block to sum from stereo to mono.  The default setting when added is "Center".  Save the patch.  Go somewhere else and come back to the patch.  Pan block now reads "Right 100%".  Adjust back to "Center", save patch, repeat.  Always returns to "Right 100%".

Anyone else see this behavior?

(BTW, I'm trying to sum to mono because I use 1 XLR output to my Alto TS212 and the other XLR to FOH.  Anyone know if Helix will sum to mono if I run FOH from an XLR (ie, right) and my Alto from a 1/4" output (ie, also right)???)

This came up before... It's not a bug. It happens because when you insert a pan block, its position parameter is automatically set up to be controlled by EXP2. So if you have the position of EXP2 set to be controlled globally, the position parameter in the pan block will reflect the position of the pedal when you enter that preset. It sounds like you don't want the pan tied to the expression pedal, so just go to this parameter and clear the controller (or change it "none").

To answer your other question, yes, if you use one 1/4" and one XLR out, they will both sum to mono automatically. It doesn't matter which side you actually use.

[ SOLVED !!!!   ONE OF MY JACKS WAS PLUGGED INTO PHONES SKT  BY MISTAKE ! ]

in 2.0 - I've got studio monitors wired to XLRs and PA wired at same time via the 1/4" jacks - using the LINE option in globals for BOTH.

But when using the PA i seem to get a heavy WET signal in one speaker ( reverb ) and a much louder basically dry thing to the other. 

weird. This is even though I have the 1/4" output set in GLOBAL to LINE and not INSTRUMENT. the non LEFT/MONO output also seems quieter. All in all as if set up for WET-DRY but thats not what I want. I just have two STEREO systems in the house. 

i swopped jacks on the PA just to check its the HELIX not the PA inputs etc. And its not the PA.

The levels seem ok and balanced when playing an iTunes track via iPad and USB1/2 using camera kit.   So its just the guitar preset audio path which seems effected. this is regardless of patch..   i just tried a brand new patch for example and put just a gain block on it - and levels were quiet in one and loud in the other.   switching to any other patch with reverb on it  puts reverb VERY WET on one output and a normal dryish amp +cab output on the other. I DID try resetting globals with no change. 

After last firmware update 2.01, all my presets using the Twin Harmony pitch are broken. Twin Harmony now it sounds distorted and warbling on every single note.

I tried creating same patch from scratch but get the same issue.

Are you talking about the Mono Twin Harmony or Stereo Twin Harmony model? Also, could you please post a couple of your presets that use the Twin Harmony so we can have a better idea of what your signal flow is and what other models you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a problem with the Wah.
When it's activated via Pedal and I switch to a different Snapshot it seems to loose the controller for volume and wah. So when I've switched, neither the Volume Block works nor the Wah Block. To get it back working I have to reload the preset.

I do have a problem with the Wah.

When it's activated via Pedal and I switch to a different Snapshot it seems to loose the controller for volume and wah. So when I've switched, neither the Volume Block works nor the Wah Block. To get it back working I have to reload the preset.

This is a known bug right now.  You can get around it by switching the expression pedal back before switching snapshots. Please see the post linked below for an explanation as well as a couple of methods on dealing with it as well as a hardware workaround with a shorted plug. 

http://line6.com/support/topic/21829-snapshot-help-wah-on-wah-off/?p=165484

I've discovered a condition which causes an incorrect result with controlling parameters.

Firmware 2.01 on Helix Rack with Helix Control. No external gear attached, including no Midi interaction with a computer etc.

I have a high gain preset which uses a footswitch controlling a gain stomp on/off block while also altering the decay parameter of the input gate (longer when the gain pedal (Screamer) is off, shorter when on).

This preset is also set up so that I have Snapshots doing their thing - the preset has a full-on gain, medium gain, and an amp/cab switch-up for crystal clean.

So the Snapshots are responsible for altering the status of that gain/gate controller footswitch, as well as the on/off status of the input gate. All of the above things happen essentially correctly.

However, my reason for assigning the gate decay along with the gain boost control was simply to allow me the option to step on that to turn it off/on as required to drop back or increase the gain without jumping out of that Snapshot.

However, when toggling that controller within a Snapshot, the footswitch does indeed toggle the gain pedal, but the gate decay parameter ignores the first press of the switch - hitting it again does indeed trigger the parameter change of the input gate decay, but is now out of sync/backward to the gain boost stomp.

Add to this a third value for the input gate decay which I did not set as either min/max gets involved in the third Snapshot wherein the gate is off (clean path).

Snapshots do not have control of the input gate decay parameter; the footswitch controller does.

For some reason, this appears to be in conflict with the Snapshot function.

Snapshots do not have control of the input gate decay parameter; the footswitch controller does.

For some reason, this appears to be in conflict with the Snapshot function.

Well, I don't think this is so much a bug as it is a by-product of the way snapshots interact with controllers. If you have a parameter assigned to be controlled by a footswitch, its value is going to be controlled by snapshots as well. So, really, all controllers are tied to snapshots (with expression pedals, this can be overridden by choosing something other than "per snapshot" in the global settings menu). So I think perhaps what you're running into is that there's a specific value for decay recalled by each of your snapshots. You just need to go in and set where you want it for each one. You can still manually override that value by hitting the footswitch you have it assigned to. I believe it should got to max when you first hit the switch and then to the min if you hit it again. If you enter another snapshot, though, the decay will go to whatever value was saved with that snapshot.

Basically, the way to think of it is that all controllers are snapshot controllers. It's just that some have the ability to have overrides.

I'm going to have to explore this further to see the interaction and understand it as best I can; but as I know it, parameters are set explicitly to be controlled by Snapshot, or a different controller.

The brackets around the decay parameter weren't present in the preset (because I wasn't varying it by Snapshot; it was always the same setting) - so, the only instance of control I assigned to the decay parameter was the footswitch I set up.

I had also de-assigned it and re-set it all up to attempt to focus/correct the behavior - no difference.

It may be an inherent behavior of the way it works now, but I would definitely have to describe it as a conflict (especially with the fact that it can put that switch's results into a flip-flopped state) - and I'm going to then have to look at a lot of other presets I have made which pre-date Snapshots to see whether their behavior is being impacted.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I got the Helix about a month ago (and love it) and updated to 2.01 a couple of weeks ago. I was able to save the patches I made prior to the update and they seemed to be working fine until I did my first gigs with the Helix this past weekend. A few of those patches appeared to be dead when I switched them on... until I discovered that when I backed the expression pedal to heel position and then to toe position, they would come back to life. This didn't start happening until I'd been playing for more than a half hour. A reboot restored things to normal for another half hour, then it started acting up again. Rather than try to guess what's wrong and what I should do, I thought I'd count on the experience and expertise of this forum's members. A solution would be greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I got the Helix about a month ago (and love it) and updated to 2.01 a couple of weeks ago. I was able to save the patches I made prior to the update and they seemed to be working fine until I did my first gigs with the Helix this past weekend. A few of those patches appeared to be dead when I switched them on... until I discovered that when I backed the expression pedal to heel position and then to toe position, they would come back to life. This didn't start happening until I'd been playing for more than a half hour. A reboot restored things to normal for another half hour, then it started acting up again. Rather than try to guess what's wrong and what I should do, I thought I'd count on the experience and expertise of this forum's members. A solution would be greatly appreciated!

In the Global Settings menu under the EXP Pedals heading, knobs 4,5 and 6 let you set the expression pedal behavior to be applied per snapshot, per preset or globally. It sounds like you have yours set to to "per preset" or "per snapshot" and have saved your preset with the volume pedal in the minimum position. Moving the pedal changes this and takes over the volume parameter again.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have saved the preset with the volume pedal in minimum position, since I did all of my programming with the Helix on a table and wasn't using my feet for anything. But I'll give that a try; thanks!

(edit) Thinking about it some more, I did make adjustments on the fly at the gig, so I could've very well saved those (re-tweaked) presets with the pedal in heel position. You may have just solved my problem, so here's an upper case THANKS!

(later edit) It's definitely working fine now. Grateful!

I'm using my Helix for vocal effects, and it seems that every time I turn it on, in Global Settings, the Mic Gain parameter *says* that it's at 15dB where I left it, but the actual gain is much lower (probably 0dB).

If I turn the knob one click away from 15dB, to 12 or 18, and then back to 15dB, it sounds right.

There seem to be a number of these issues being reported lately, where the front panel says one thing but the parameter is actually set to another.

• 2 weeks later...

The joystick button on my Helix has stopped working. The joystick still functions directionally. Also the physical action of pressing it inward still gives the same click. But the machine doesn't register it. Have tried rebooting, same result. Please advise!

Have discovered some edtior bugs

Sometimes when you have change name on snapshots it is not possible to change the name again to something different 

A workaround is to shut down the editor and open it again or change the name on another snapshot in the preset and then change both of them again..

I also bought fremen preset pack load the setlist called Fremens Preset I to User 4 and it changed the setlist named to User 1 so i had two User 1

I tried to change it on the Editor but it didnt work for me so i had to change it on Helix instead..

But here is the strange thing i loaded Fremens Preset II to User 5 and it didnt change to User 2-3-4 or whatever he may have used when he made those presets. But thsetlist is not a setlist full of presets only some 48 presets or so is saved in that setlist..

Another thing i noticed is that sometimes when i drag a block down to create a split and fool around a bit it freezes everything in Helix and the Editor so i cant change anythning the only way is to shut down Helix and start it again now that never happens when i do it on the Helix itself only when it is connected to the Editor.

Another thing i noticed is that sometimes when i drag a block down to create a split and fool around a bit it freezes everything in Helix and the Editor so i cant change anythning the only way is to shut down Helix and start it again now that never happens when i do it on the Helix itself only when it is connected to the Editor.

Hi Guitarmaniac - I am curious, since I usually use a split path in most of my own presets, but I have not run into this problem (and don't want to !). I am using a Mac for the Helix editor and am on the latest 2.01 version for both the software and the firmware on my Helix (not the Rack). A few questions about your setup...

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Are you using the latest editor and firmware?

Do have the Helix Rack or floor pedal version?

Are you doing anything specific when you create the split?

For example, most often I insert two IRs and drag one IR bock down to create a split path, and then often pan the "merge" block so that the IRs are panned left and right a bit. Are using specific FX in your split, or changing settings on the Split or Merge blocks?

Thanks!

Hello!

Two bugs I have found:

1. When I set the output of Path 1A to Path 2A Helix engage FX Loop #2. All effects on Path 2A are not working.

2. Volume knob are not working completely.

Version 2.0.1 (upgraded from 1.12).

Hi, I'm new here.

I got my HELIX rack last week. It now has firmware 2.01.

Problem no 1:

After creating and saving new presets (after the update) some of them show "E" everytime I return to them.

But why? Nothing has been changed!

Problem no 2:

With some presets the display SOMETIMES shows confusing letters (uncomplete/halfhidden) in the presets' names.

Greetings from Germany

Michael

Bug on sag, when put above 6 on the following amps, a tremolo effect comes in: Fender bassman, line 6 doom and electric,  plexi all channels.

Is it a really subtle effect? Because I can't hear anything wrong. Tried all amps listed here with both amp+cab block and just an amp block (with an IR).

Is it a really subtle effect? Because I can't hear anything wrong. Tried all amps listed here with both amp+cab block and just an amp block (with an IR).

No, especially on doom it is extreme. Try the sag on 10 and please let me know.

No, especially on doom it is extreme. Try the sag on 10 and please let me know.

Tried all kinds of values above 6.0, including 10, for all the amps. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Looks like maybe a reset is in order, if you didn't try that already?

• Upvote 1

Tried all kinds of values above 6.0, including 10, for all the amps. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Looks like maybe a reset is in order, if you didn't try that already?

I am going on it again.. But I remember that there is another person also with the same problem... Thanks Duncann for looking at it :)

https://soundcloud.com/aris-laf/malakia

1st sound is bassman, 2nd plexi, last is doom.

After trying this again, I was able to get the Doom amp to produce this unwanted vibrato effect, but not consistently. Sometimes it was there for a chord or note, and sometimes not for the same chord or note. The other amps I couldn't get to do it. Weird.

• Upvote 1

After trying this again, I was able to get the Doom amp to produce this unwanted vibrato effect, but not consistently. Sometimes it was there for a chord or note, and sometimes not for the same chord or note. The other amps I couldn't get to do it. Weird.

Thanks for trying it out  Duncann. I hope L6 will do something for this.

• Upvote 1

Pedal doesn't follow the settings. On my last patch, http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2349179/ I set the intensity from 0 to 8, assign it on the pedal, but when I move the pedal it goes from 0 to 10.

Uh oh. Hmm. Works OK here. In the downloaded patch, the range is from 0 to 10. Changed the range from 0 to 8 and saved. Changed to a different preset and back. Tried with the onboard pedal and an external Mission pedal, and tried all the global EXP2 settings.

• Upvote 1

Hi Guitarmaniac - I am curious, since I usually use a split path in most of my own presets, but I have not run into this problem (and don't want to !). I am using a Mac for the Helix editor and am on the latest 2.01 version for both the software and the firmware on my Helix (not the Rack). A few questions about your setup...

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Are you using the latest editor and firmware?

Do have the Helix Rack or floor pedal version?

Are you doing anything specific when you create the split?

For example, most often I insert two IRs and drag one IR bock down to create a split path, and then often pan the "merge" block so that the IRs are panned left and right a bit. Are using specific FX in your split, or changing settings on the Split or Merge blocks?

Thanks!

I used a Win Laptop Intel i5 2 GB ram and i have Helix floor unit (it really doesnt matter which OS you run as many have trouble on both platforms i think its an USB issue and coding of drivers and App.)

There is no editor for my Macavailable and it will ever be one releases

I asked L6 and they say no Editor for Mac OSX earlyer then 10.8 will be released.

Which is really lame consider OSX 10.7 was released 07 - 2011 a.k.a only 5 years ago.

My Mac Pro cant be upgraded to newer version then 10.7.5 without some kernel hacks and patches and installing a different graphic card.

I might consider that some day just to see if it works.

And also some functions will not work with that "trick".

I really dont like Apples philosophy that you "need" to buy a new computer every 5 year or so in order to use new softwares or updated versions of software or be able to install a newer OS

I have homebuilt Win machines that i built for over 13 years ago running very smooth and also a studio computer that is 10 years old running some old 32 bit favourite stuff.

And i can install Win 10 on any of those wothout any problem if i want to do that..

Now try to install OSX 10.10 on say an 10 years old Mac machine good luck with that..

So that Mac Pro (which i only use as a VERY expensive internet machine today) is my first and last Mac i will ever buy..

If i want to run Logic i build myself a hackintosh as i cant even upgrade Logic today on my Mac with a 5 year old OS how lame is THAT?.

Anyway the problem with the Editor happened on some fremen presets and its happened when i drag an Amp down and create a split and after i switched with A/B & Y and Crossover settings.

As long as i didnt switched between A/B and Y and only used ONE of A/B - Y or Crossover it worked fine.

I think its a bug that is related to the USB connections between Helix and the computer.

I have an issue that is not so much a bug with Helix, but with the editor. I have a Dell 9550 that I thought I would use for my Helix, however, the editor on a 4K UHD 15" screen is redonkulous trying to read. I am 51 and you need the eyes of a 2-year-old to read anything. I am running Windows 10 Anniversary that has a scaling feature built in the display department but it seems that the editor does not pick up the scaling setting and stays at the way to small to read state. As it looks now, I will have to revert to my Toshiba laptop just to run the editor.

On synth patches (with phasers, not sure if that's relevant), I find that when I open the patch there's a high-pitched bleep/blip noise every time I touch the strings (I'm playing a bass). This bleep noise goes away after I hit the bypass button for any effect. I can then turn whatever effect back on and the beep will still be gone. I can provide recordings or exact patches if useful. 

I experience a problem with expression pedal, no matter if set as volume pedal or set to control volume of output, from time to time (random) it sets the value to 0 so I have to move the pedal to get the actual value and get back the sound. I have EXT2 and EXT3 connected and works good, only built-in pedal having issue. Is this a known error or a hardware issue with the built-in pedal ? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Long time M13 user, but decided to get myself a helix... loving it so far, yet have this very bothersome issue and i'm wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences...

Using firmware 2.01 (i did this update before i started with setting it up)

Had a couple of days of use with no problems whatsoever,

yet the last couple of days, suddenly having complete volume drops.

The first two times i did not know how it happened,

but, now with it suddenly happening again within 20min. after powering up Helix, i discovered that the volume block all of the sudden drops itsself to 1% with no reason whatsoever.. slightly moving the expression pedal brings back the volume. (and you can see the parameter jumping back from 1% to 100%)

The volume parameter is assigned to exp1, which has no other assings and is acting as a volume pedal only.

Curve is set to logarithmic.

I'm planning to use it for the first time at a upcoming gig next week, but i really, really don't want this to happen mid-performance...

any help or suggestions?

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Expression Pedal Scribble Strip Bug in 2.0.

Well, mine's slightly erratic. On some of my patches, sometimes the Expression Pedal Scribble Strip will momentarily show "EXP1 EXP2" and then followed by the name I've given it for that patch (Usually just "Volume").  But if I let it sit there a minute and switch to another patch, it'll say "EXP1 EXP2" again. So if like me, it used to bug you when the old VCR would endlessly blink "12:00", you'd want to fix it... Alas... It doesn't seem worth it to go through another root canal of updating to 2.01. :rolleyes: