Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Just an observation which applies back as far as I have known Helix firmware versions;

that mysterious tendency for the patch to suddenly pop up as 'E' - edited; I realized yesterday that it was the exact moment that my EXP 1 position value made that magical unaided jump down from 100% to 1% that it suddenly read 'E'dited...

It's never mattered audibly for me, since I was using EXP1 to handle Wah duties generally, and hence was only called-upon by toe-switch as required.

Meantime, that's been busy jumping down and showing the mystery 'E'dit condition - also goes along with my note that many of my personal patches' wah position values have wound up along the way being saved at the 1 or 2% positions.

... which of course is an issue if one is using something 'live' like a volume block with it, or the more recent feature of auto-engage by position parameter.

One of those 'ah-hah!' moments for me.

I updated my Helix with the latest firmware and I have have an issue with the  the screen just going blank after reboot. It does not do it all the time. The only way to fix it is to do the firmware again. The last gig I had I did with a blank screen. The unit worked fine, but I was in the dark on changing patches. I hope there will be a fix for this soon.

I updated my Helix with the latest firmware and I have have an issue with the  the screen just going blank after reboot. It does not do it all the time. The only way to fix it is to do the firmware again. The last gig I had I did with a blank screen. The unit worked fine, but I was in the dark on changing patches. I hope there will be a fix for this soon.

Another thing on the editor is that Window 10 will lose the connection of the Helix and you have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to correct the problem.

Hi

Regarding the new effect activation via the expression pedal feature 'Wait' parameter-

(I have a Rack with the foot controller btw.)

If used to turn the wah on and off for example, when moving from the pedal's 'heel down' position it works correctly. The effect turns on instantly when depressing the pedal and when returned to heel down it waits for the time you have selected.

However, if you want it to turn on when moving back from the 'toe down' position like a regular wah it does not work correctly. When setting it up this way it waits for the preset interval to turn ON and turns OFF instantly. Unfortunately this makes it impractical to use in a toe down setup as the wah instantly turns off when you reach the toe down position.

Thanks!

Strange issue here: guitar volume drops down a little after a while, reloading the preset restores the volume. Input pad still works, even during the volume drop. Sig. chain: guitar-cable-Helix-headphones. Preset: rat-mark IV- ir. Anyone?

Link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6kt7jz76zof3oy/Video%2020-01-17%2C%2000%2009%2030.mov?dl=0

Link to the preset: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyawphpmaq7lrbe/The%20Moor%20Lead.hlx?dl=0

Strange issue here: guitar volume drops down a little after a while, reloading the preset restores the volume. Input pad still works, even during the volume drop. Sig. chain: guitar-cable-Helix-headphones. Preset: rat-mark IV- ir. Anyone?

Link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6kt7jz76zof3oy/Video%2020-01-17%2C%2000%2009%2030.mov?dl=0

Link to the preset: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyawphpmaq7lrbe/The%20Moor%20Lead.hlx?dl=0

I can't tell what you are trying to demonstrate in your video. 

I can't tell what you are trying to demonstrate in your video.

I'm trying to demonstrate that turning the gain knob makes a click noise through audio outputs. This noise is related to a gain drop, like activating the input pad, but no parameter is changed. Saving an reloading the snapshot stop the noise, brut after a while, the noise come back. May be your pc volume is too low.

Helix Rack & Control, FW 2.12.0

Last evening at a sit-in gig I was just finished setting up, so I started Helix as I got my instrument ready. Glanced at the rack and controller; all fine.

I couple minutes later I looked back at the controller and it was in the semi-blank state that it is in when power is first applied to it while the rack unit boots (Scribble Strips were lit up plain/blank, no LEDs, but oddly, the patch name was displayed on the strip-screen at the top).

Though I might have done just as well to flick Control's power switch off then on, I instead opted to power-cycle Helix - all started normally, and it was on for the next 4-5 hours without issue.

This was a first; I'll be checking out my cabling again etc (I use the Variax connector/Ethercon cable to connect for live applications, as it's a beefier cable).

Just thought to note this in case anyone else has had this odd experience.

Hi!  I'm a new Helix owner. I have my Helix just about a week ago and I experienced 3 issues.

1. This is a minor issue. The Helix application runs on Windows 8.1 but sometimes it does not see the Helix device (disconnect) even if it was recognized earlier. I need to turn off then on the device.
  2. This issue I have experienced yesterday. Actually, this is a one-time occurrence so far, but remarkable. Why I was playing the Helix froze. The sound that was dialed in worked but I couldn't do anything with the Helix. None of its buttons worked nor of its menus. I needed to turn off and on.
  3. This is the biggest concern about the device. I run into this issue yesterday and today also. The Helix stopped its audio output! Switching another preset back and forth solve the problem. This is a terrible issue! This is not a cheap device at all! Sorry, but I don't have time to read all the comments here about this.

Guys, would you tell me if this is a hardware issue or firmware? My Helix runs the latest firmware (v2.12). 

Hi!  I'm a new Helix owner. I have my Helix just about a week ago and I experienced 3 issues.

1. This is a minor issue. The Helix application runs on Windows 8.1 but sometimes it does not see the Helix device (disconnect) even if it was recognized earlier. I need to turn off then on the device.
  2. This issue I have experienced yesterday. Actually, this is a one-time occurrence so far, but remarkable. Why I was playing the Helix froze. The sound that was dialed in worked but I couldn't do anything with the Helix. None of its buttons worked nor of its menus. I needed to turn off and on.
  3. This is the biggest concern about the device. I run into this issue yesterday and today also. The Helix stopped its audio output! Switching another preset back and forth solve the problem. This is a terrible issue! This is not a cheap device at all! Sorry, but I don't have time to read all the comments here about this.

Guys, would you tell me if this is a hardware issue or firmware? My Helix runs the latest firmware (v2.12). 

Ok, This is the 3. time. No sound output again!!! My guitar is in my hand and no sound at all! What a terrible situation! I I remarked that in the two last case I used the same preset. I know this is unacceptable in the first place, but can it be caused by a preset?

I have found an interesting post about this error here

Ok, This is the 3. time. No sound output again!!! My guitar is in my hand and no sound at all! What a terrible situation! I I remarked that in the two last case I used the same preset. I know this is unacceptable in the first place, but can it be caused by a preset?

I have found an interesting post about this error here

Are you using a volume block controlled by the expression pedal in your preset?

Yes. In my chain the second block is a volume block as you described.

There is a known issue with the volume block controlled by the expression pedal. Sometimes it randomly goes from 100% to 1%. Is it assigned to EXP1 or EXP2?

I changed all of mine to EXP2, and no longer have the issue on any preset. Give that a try. 

EXP2 is default for volume, EXP1 is default for Wah. 

Ohh, Thanks! This is a valuable answer! I realized that EXP2 is the default. Actually, this preset I bought. Here the EXP1 assigned to the volume block. I will report this. Thanks again mate! 

Ohh, Thanks! This is a valuable answer! I realized that EXP2 is the default. Actually, this preset I bought. Here the EXP1 assigned to the volume block. I will report this. Thanks again mate! 

Cool, let us know if it takes care of the issue. 

Hi,

I was comparing the new Allure IRS to the helix stock cabs, when I encountered the following:

I assigned the EXP2 controller to control the microphone stock cab. I noticed when I had the stock cab bypassed and was playing through the IR, that it had an audible effect when I was changing the mic of the bypassed cab.

This is no real life problem as I wouldn't do this while performing, but it didn't make sense to me. I reckon that this should not be audible when it's bypassed.

Cheers

Hi,

I was comparing the new Allure IRS to the helix stock cabs, when I encountered the following:

I assigned the EXP2 controller to control the microphone stock cab. I noticed when I had the stock cab bypassed and was playing through the IR, that it had an audible effect when I was changing the mic of the bypassed cab.

This is no real life problem as I wouldn't do this while performing, but it didn't make sense to me. I reckon that this should not be audible when it's bypassed.

Cheers

That sounds really interesting. I'll have to try that. Did you have them in series?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Cheers

Are you sure your EXP2 was not also assigned to control another block's parameter? Note that by default EXP2 is auto assigned when you insert a Volume block, so if you have a Volume block in your preset, then you might be adjusting the Volume at the same time with EXP2. I tried your steps and added only an Amp block + a stock cab + an IR (with Allure IR loaded in it), and then assigned EXP2 to the stock cabs Mic Model selection parameter. If I bypass the stock cab, I hear a brief "dropout" in my guitar signal whenever I adjust the EXP2 pedal as it loads a different Mic model for the bypassed stock cab (as expected I suppose) but I don't hear it affect the tone at all. 

• Upvote 1

Are you sure your EXP2 was not also assigned to control another block's parameter? Note that by default EXP2 is auto assigned when you insert a Volume block, so if you have a Volume block in your preset, then you might be adjusting the Volume at the same time with EXP2. I tried your steps and added only an Amp block + a stock cab + an IR (with Allure IR loaded in it), and then assigned EXP2 to the stock cabs Mic Model selection parameter. If I bypass the stock cab, I hear a brief "dropout" in my guitar signal whenever I adjust the EXP2 pedal as it loads a different Mic model for the bypassed stock cab (as expected I suppose) but I don't hear it affect the tone at all.

Sorry for the confusion; English is not my native language.

I'm quite sure I didn't assign EXP2 to something else, but the "dropout" you're describing is exactly what I mean. The tone of the IR does not alter, but I did not expect this "dropout" when loading a different Mic model on a bypassed cab block. I would only expect to hear this when you're playing through this cab (when it's not bypassed).

• Upvote 1

I have a bug - I am not sure if it has been notified before but I didn't see it in a quick search of this thread. Firmware is Helix = 2.12, JTV 69 = 2.21

I have a patch with acoustic and electric snapshots swapping guitars with each snapshot, and I also have a variax magnetics feed that I use to add a distorted electric under the acoustics.

The acoustics (6 and 12 string) have the tone knob set in the shapshot to about 2.5, the jazzbox snapshot to 9 and the rest to 10. The pickup selector is locked on the acoustic snapshots so that I can set the magnetic pickups without changing acoustic model.

When I swap between snapshots that are not locking the pickup selector (or pickup selector and tone) there is no problem - the tone position changes exactly as expected.  When I swap from the acoustic snapshots (tone is set to 2.5) to anything else (tone set much higher) the tone on the model doesn't change meaning that I start with the tone rolled right down to 2.5 when the snapshot says set it to 9 or 10. This is rather important as there is a significant change to the expected sound!

The fault definitely relates to the locking setting, because when I unlock the controls the Tone setting changes correctly and when I set it back to locking the pickup selector the Tone setting doesn't change again.

Has this one been reported before?

*** Update

After more playing around trying to balance levels between the snapshots I discovered that it happens all the time when trying to go back to 10, but that it isn't a problem if the tone setting is "Don't Force".

*** Update 15/02/17

Line 6 support have confirmed that this is a known bug - lets hope it gets fixed when we get Workbench HD over Helix in the next Firmware

My helix software crashes every time I try to import an IR into the helix now. 

Also the helix hangs about 25% of the time I power it up, this is with usb connected though. I havent tried it yet without USB connected wnough to establish frequency

Also the helix hangs about 25% of the time I power it up, this is with usb connected though. I havent tried it yet without USB connected wnough to establish frequency

What version of the firmware is showing when you boot up the Helix. Also, what version of the Editor is showing when you go to the "About" section in the Editor menu? It sounds like your firmware and Editor may not have matching versions. If you are running the latest firmware 2.12 your Editor should be 2.l1. For most previous versions of the firmware the Editor had the same matching number. Also, did you do a global reset after your last firmware update. If you did not make sure you back everything up first and then do a global reset.

Try booting up Helix without the USB connect to see if it still hangs. 

Try a different USB port on your PC. Some people have experienced strange issues then it went away when using a different port. 

I have discovered what I think is a snapshot recall bug in the splitter block.

I am using the A B splitter block in some of my presets which I control via a switch. If I set up the desired routing (sending 100% to either A or B ) and save it as a snapshot it works perfectly when I recall different scenes. If after recalling the snapshot I move to pedal board control and switch it from A to B using the control switch, on switching back to snapshot mode and recalling a different snapshot the correct AB state is not recalled. I have ensured that I have selected the scenes to reload their un-modified state.

This is a tricky one to explain I hope I've made it clear!

That is how it works. If you are switching something from A to B in stomp mode it is a toggle type function. In snapshots, you are sending a value. If the split was manually toggled with a stomp and then a snap sends the value to twitch to a position that it's already at, nothing happens. Snapshots won't toggle, it just adjusts a parameter to on or off or to a particular value. That's why you have to use caution switching between stomp and snaps.

Apologies!! I've discovered that I actually described my problem incorrectly...

It is the BYPASS state of the A/B block which is not being recalled by the snapshot once it has been modified by a stomp switch and I think it should.

All the other block bypass states are correctly recalled by a snapshot even after modification by a stomp. 

I carefully go through each snapshot within a patch and toggle it via the front panel to the state required then store the snapshot. I repeat this for each snapshot. Each snapshot recalls the state correctly even after changing the bypass state of the AB block with a stomp switch. Everything seems to be working as desired.

I recall another patch and then return to the one in question. If I then change the AB bypass state with a stomp switch the snapshots no longer correctly recall it. 

I think I've described it accurately this time - sorry for the confusion!

Apologies!! I've discovered that I actually described my problem incorrectly...

It is the BYPASS state of the A/B block which is not being recalled by the snapshot once it has been modified by a stomp switch and I think it should.

All the other block bypass states are correctly recalled by a snapshot even after modification by a stomp. 

I carefully go through each snapshot within a patch and toggle it via the front panel to the state required then store the snapshot. I repeat this for each snapshot. Each snapshot recalls the state correctly even after changing the bypass state of the AB block with a stomp switch. Everything seems to be working as desired.

I recall another patch and then return to the one in question. If I then change the AB bypass state with a stomp switch the snapshots no longer correctly recall it. 

I think I've described it accurately this time - sorry for the confusion!

I've never tried to manipulate a block with both a snapshot and stomp in the same preset, just as a safety measure for my dumb self. I would easily become confused if a snap was supposed to turn something on that I already turned on with a stomp. I'll have to see if I can replicate it. 

Every time I try to import a bundle (that I have to reload due to the ridiculous reset process required after a Helix firmware update) the Helix app crashes. Restarted the MacBook, restarted the Helix, same thing. Every time. Not cool.

Helix firmware 2.11 and Mac OS 10.12.3

Every time I try to import a bundle (that I have to reload due to the ridiculous reset process required after a Helix firmware update) the Helix app crashes. Restarted the MacBook, restarted the Helix, same thing. Every time. Not cool.

Helix firmware 2.11 and Mac OS 10.12.3

What version of Helix Edit are you running on your Mac? If it is not also v2.11, that could be your issue. Also, firmware 2.12 is out, but the latest editor is 2.11

Running 2.11, with editor 2.11

I have a preset with a modeled Vox ac30 and an impulse response in One path and in another path a Deluxe Reverb acting as an amp for a mic.

I have 3 controllers routed to FS2 in stomp mode controlling the drive, bass and channel volume for a lead boost. I decided I really liked the guitar path so I copied the preset, pasted it to a blank spot and noticed FS2 wasn't doing anything. I decided to use the touch capacitive switches to swap to FS8 and the screen goes blank until I power cycle. Problem repeats.

Also having an issue where the screen is unresponsive for a while, blocks aren't changing from off to on state (although I can hear the change) and pressing any UI buttons do nothing, but then randomly catches up. Kind of like a lag

Running 2.11, with editor 2.11

Also having an issue where the screen is unresponsive for a while, blocks aren't changing from off to on state (although I can hear the change) and pressing any UI buttons do nothing, but then randomly catches up. Kind of like a lag

You plugged into USB when it hangs and catches up? I seem to remember this happening to me once or twice on 2.11 when plugged into USB. Haven't seen it on 2.12 though